DarthParametric

MOD:Diversified Jedi Captives on the Star Forge

Diversified Jedi Captives on the Star Forge

Based on this request thread, this mod replaces the Jedi captive placeables used in the final confrontation with Darth Malak aboard the Star Forge. In the vanilla version of the game, these are all identical copies of the same male body using the PMHC04 (“Mullet Man”) head. New male and female versions of this placeable have been made, utilising a variety of heads from all three human races, and Twi’leks. All eight captives in the level are now unique and distinct from one another.

Additionally, the flavour pop-up text for when you interact with the captives has been altered to change the male pronouns into neutral ones, so they work regardless of the subject’s gender.

For those that wish it, an optional extra is included that adds these new Jedi as background NPCs to the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine (N.B. as of v1.1, the pictured sparring circle has been removed due to the placeables.2da row limit bug described below).

Known Issues:

• WARNING: A critical issue has been discovered with K1's placeables.2da, limiting the number of additional new entires that can be added to around 20 rows. This mod adds 8 rows. If you use multiple mods that add new rows to placeables.2da, you will likely encounter issues. DO NOT REINSTALL THIS MOD OVER A PREVIOUS VERSION! You will create the placeable overflow issue.
  • In order for the Dantooine portion of the optional extra to take effect, you must use a save prior to leaving Taris. The courtyard portion will only take effect for saves prior to being allowed to exit the Academy. These additions are purely cosmetic, so their absence will have no material affect on the primary purpose of the mod.
  • The core content of the mod will only work with a save prior to entering the final room on the Star Forge, but I assume (hope) most people aren't still installing mods that late in proceedings.

Compatibility:

• The mod is compatible with K1CP. Make sure you install K1CP first.
  • The core content of the mod should be compatible with most other mods, as the changes are restricted to the second-last module in the game (STA_M45AD).
  • The optional content makes changes to the Dantooine Enclave's landing pad (DANM13) and courtyard (DANM14AA) modules. If you are using any mod that overwrites those modules (like Kainzorus Prime's NPC Overhaul Mod), make sure you install that mod first. This mod will patch its changes into pre-existing module files, so should be installed last.
  • Changes in 1.2.1 should mean the Twi'lek master in the optional Dantooine content is now impervious to further hostile robe takeover attempts.
  • If you use @JCarter426's "Fashion Line I - Cloaked Jedi Robes for K1" mod, you can download the supplied compatibility patch to have him wear the TSL robes.
  • If you use @JCarter426's "Fashion Line I - Cloaked Hybrid Robes for K1" mod, you can download the supplied compatibility patch to have him wear the hybrid robes.

Acknowledgements:

• Thanks to @Kexikus for providing code for the NPC OnHeartbeat scripts.
  • Thanks to @jc2 for the suggestion on how to fix the sparring circle combatant health bars.
  • Thanks to @JCarter426 for suggesting the NotReorienting creature flag and for the TSL ported robe assets.
  • Thanks to @bead-v for KOTORMax and MDLEdit.
  • Thanks to @ndix UR for MDLOps v1.0+ and TGA2TPC.
  • Thanks to @StellarExile for pointing out the issue with VFX targeting the base of the model. I must be blind...
  • Thanks to @todevuch for testing the hybrid robes compatibility patch.
  • Thanks to @olegkuz1997 for pointing out that the placeables didn't use TLK StrRefs for their labels.

• Like 1

Something I never thought of when playing the game, yet it is such glaring laziness on the part of Bioware.

DP is on a roll folks! Immersion mods like this really breathe life into the games.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

This is one of those little mods that does.

Nice!

Great mod DP!

On a side note looking at the changed dialogue/original dialogue, it says, "the jedi hangs by.... Only by the power of the Force could you free them/him."

Does that mean Bioware intended for a lightside Revan to be able to protect or free them, instead of sucking the life out of each one of them?

That's just the message that pops up when you click on them while they are still alive, hinting that you need to use a Force power. There's nothing to suggest they were ever intended to survive. Either they die peacefully (LS character using LS power) or they die painfully (DS character and/or using DS power).

"A fine addition to my collection."

Great work as always, DP!

2018 Moty DP's going to win every category for both games.

We need to meme up the Mod of the Year awards for 2018. We should start by adding the "Fine addition to my collection" award.

• Like 5

First of all, thanks for this. But, I am having some issues with the mod, of the 8 jedi, only 3 appear in the game, but Malak can still recharge with then. I am the only one having this trouble?

edit: I made some tests but I cant reproduce the problem. I reinstaled the game and all mods and it seems alright, but it vanishes with all the captured jedi if I try to install this mod twice.

It won't work unless you load from a save before entering the final room on the Star Forge.

Installing the mod multiple times should make no difference, besides bloating the size of placeables.2da, assuming you don't revert the edited files with the backups TSLPatcher makes. But why would install it multiple times?

of the 8 jedi, only 3 appear in the game

The probable cause of this has been identified by ndix UR. It seems that the game will only recognise placeable IDs up to 255. With the pre-existing game data, that only allows around 20 custom entries. If you are using multiple mods with custom placeable.2da entries, then this is the likely cause. At this time the only solution is to limit which mods you use to not exceed this limit.

I dont think that I use any placeable mods in K1. But its alright, I believe the problem is solved. Thanks.

Greetings, DarthParametric!

I have been using the mod most of the time but in my recent playthrough I haven't include the optional "new Jedi as background NPCs to the Enclave on Dantooine" content because of the over-looping lightsaber's clashing sounds were just too much for my ears.

I am thinking of an additional option which perhaps you can pull off with the next update- if you are interested:

• Would it be possible to take off the lightsabers from the dueling Jedis so they looked like they were training hand-to-hand combat?

Many thanks for considering this. :cheers:

Hi, I'm having a problem that I think is related to this mod. Since installing it, all text within the game menu (like New Game, Options, etc.) and every bit of text even within swconfig.exe has been replaced by the message I assume you get when trying to use a force power on the captives. How would this even happen? Did some .dlg file accidentally overwrite ALL of the .dlg files in my install?

DLG files don't contain any text. It's all in the dialog.tlk file.

The mod appends some strings to the end of the TLK. It shouldn't affect anything beyond the specific instances on the Star Forge. Zip up dialog.tlk in the game's base directory and attach it here.

Somehow your TLK has been nuked. Every string has been changed. There are also some other strings related to Twi'lek VO. It is very strange. TSLPatcher cannot directly edit existing TLK strings, only add new ones. This shouldn't be possible, in theory.

Please list your OS, a full list of every mod you have installed (and ideally the order they were installed in), and how you went about installing them. For the sake of brevity, it may be better to attach a text file with the mod list.

I'll do my best to put that list together, I mostly followed this: https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/wiki/kotormodbuildfull but there were a handful I didn't bother with because I wasn't interested in them or they were too intense for my aging computer. I'll reply with the list asap, but I did get some screenshots of the issue just to show what's happening. I've attached them.

Weird Text Glitch.rar

Did you keep all the installers and the folders they were extracted to? Any of them that uses TSLPatcher should have a backup folder. Since the strings from this mod have been correctly appended to the end of your TLK, I suspect the problem occurred before it was even installed. This can be ascertained by attaching the backup dialog.tlk from this mod's install folder for me to have a look at. Checking other folders for TLK backups could help pinpoint the root cause, which is why knowing the install order is important.

Okay, this is the dialog.tlk from this mod's backup folder. I'm almost done with the list of mods I have installed. 

dialog.rar

Here is the full list of mods I've got installed, they are in that order and installed exactly as suggested in the thread I linked above. When I got to this mod, I scrolled past it at first because it looked complicated for the Dantooine robes and such, but I went back to try. I made the mistake of installing the 1.0 version first, then the optional files from the same installer. I realized that mistake afterward and installed the 1.1, then the optional files, then the patch for compatibility with the Cloaked Robes. Is it possible somewhere in the mess of installing different versions I wrecked my dialog.tlk?

Modlist.rar

I kept all installers, but some of the mods didn't have installers so I just dropped those files into my Override. 

I think I fixed it! I took the dialog.txt from this mod's Backup folder and copied it into my game's directory. Then I ran swconfig.exe to check and it has normal text. Should I now go and try to install this mod again?

So the backup is fine, and as far as I can tell this mod should be the last one in the build list that patches the TLK, assuming you followed the suggested install order. So the cause is presumably this mod, but I have no idea how it happened. If you can check what other mod backup folders also contain a dialog.tlk that would be helpful.

In the meantime, you can extract the attached into your game's base folder, replacing the broken TLK.

Fixed_TLK.7z

Edit: The attached file has the added strings from the mod. The backup won't have those, so you are using that then if you click on the captured Jedi the DLGs will report StrRef errors. The attached should prevent that.

Because of the placeables.2da row limit bug DO NOT reinstall the mod over the top of itself.

I appear to have encountered another issue, and this one is kinda funny actually. I think, due to installing the mod three times, I've mucked things up a bit. I arrived on Dantooine and where I assume there is supposed to be two Jedi sparring, there are six, three pairs of the same two Jedi, all swinging their sabers around in a flurry of chaos. Also, there's one floating with spooky effects that I can only assume is supposed to be in a tank on the Star Forge. Throughout the enclave I'll find sets of triplets that I'm sure are supposed to be the Jedi added by this mod, but tripled. I'm not sure how I would even go about fixing this. However, I'm also concerned that removing any files now to fix it could bug my save out a bit. I haven't progressed much on Dantooine beyond finishing my Jedi training, so it's not the end of the world if I have to start over, but I'd prefer not to. I'm also concerned that once I actually reach the Star Forge, there will be three of every Jedi Captive and this will affect the fight. Any thoughts?

I did tell you not to reinstall the mod over the top of itself.

Ideally you'd want to nuke the entire install and start over entirely fresh - including deleting all your saves and starting a brand new game. You've not only got the minor Dantooine NPC problem, which on its own would be salvageable with a save edit, but you've also broken placeables.2da which is now suffering from wrap-around due to the row limit bug.  That is going to cause problems throughout the entire game.