Roth9

Revan "clones" in star forge and Taris

Does anybody ever modded the models of the captured jedi in the Star Forge? Or the two soldiers in the kolto tank at the clinic in Taris? It's just that they use the same model that is the official Revan so it bothers me when I arrive at these places and find "clones" there.

I found out the textures for the captured jedi and changed so that they have white hair, it makes they a little different but I believe that someone must have done a better job.

Also, can someone tell me the name of the models and textures of the injured soldiers at Taris? I can't find it.

They are placeables in both cases.

For the Star Forge captives, the label in placeables.2da is, for some reason, "Dead Malak". The model name is PLC_EndCorps. There are three static body meshes, two of which hide under the floor at any one time. The animations switch between the bodies depending on the status of the captive. There are four textures used for the bodies. The "healthy" appearance uses PLC_EndPlA and PLC_EndPlC. The "drained" appearance uses PLC_EndPlB and PLC_EndPlD. I recall there being some discussion here at one point about the possibility of replacing those with something less terrible, but at the time we didn't have the model tools to handle it properly.

The injured Republic soldiers in the kolto tanks in the Taris Upper City South medical facility are the generic placeable KolTank2.utp, "KoltoTank2_with_body". The model is PLC_KolTank2. The body uses textures pmbal01 and PMHC04. The breathing mask texture is shared with the tank itself, PLC_KolTank.

They are placeables in both cases.

For the Star Forge captives, the label in placeables.2da is, for some reason, "Dead Malak". The model name is PLC_EndCorps. There are three static body meshes, two of which hide under the floor at any one time. The animations switch between the bodies depending on the status of the captive. There are four textures used for the bodies. The "healthy" appearance uses PLC_EndPlA and PLC_EndPlC. The "drained" appearance uses PLC_EndPlB and PLC_EndPlD. I recall there being some discussion here at one point about the possibility of replacing those with something less terrible, but at the time we didn't have the model tools to handle it properly.

The injured Republic soldiers in the kolto tanks in the Taris Upper City South medical facility are the generic placeable KolTank2.utp, "KoltoTank2_with_body". The model is PLC_KolTank2. The body uses textures pmbal01 and PMHC04. The breathing mask texture is shared with the tank itself, PLC_KolTank.

Thank you for this and a special thank you for always answering my requests.

Is anything going to come of this?

I made a small change, I changed the hair to white to look that the trauma whitened it. If you want, I can put here.

If you don't mind. Anything is better than them looking identical to my Revan.

Here you go. I may make more changes in the future, but if someone want to use this to work something better, fell free.

captured_jedis.rar

I have some replacements for the kolto tank soldiers:

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_01_TH.

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_02_TH. K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_03_TH.

I left the terrible vanilla textures intact, so any reskins of the original placeable (did Jorak Uln do one for that tank?) will work with these.

Currently there are 6 male variants, 2 from each race:

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_04_TH.

I'm thinking about adding some female ones, as well as flipping the pose of the male ones to provide some variety. Making some minor timing edits to the animations would also help break things up, so they aren't all bobbing up and down in unison.

I was also thinking whether it might be better to go with the round tanks you see on the side of the room:

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_05_TH.

Replacing the two at the end with tanks of the same cylindrical type, then add extra bodies to those tanks on the sides. Those side ones are actually part of the level model, so you'd just need floating body placeables for those. I don't think that style exists as a standalone placeable though, so it would need to be ripped out of the level model to replace the end ones.

• Like 1

Here's the round tanks turned into placeables:

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_06_TH.

Of course as placeables they don't have any lightmaps, so a better approach might be to include them in the room model instead. That way they would match the rest without needing to have custom textures (and would remain compatible with any 3rd party retextures). Then they could just use one of the standalone floating bodies I mentioned earlier.

Edit: The lightmap UVs on the new mesh bits I added on the top and sides still need some tweaking, but here's the altered room version:

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_07_TH.

And with floating body placeables (haven't added side ones yet):

K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_08_TH. K1_Kolto_Tank_With_Body_Placeable_09_TH.

Seeing as I was replacing the entire room model anyway, I took the opportunity to move the light panel on the back wall to the centerline of the room. I have no idea why it was offset in the original, but it looked weird, especially with the wider round tanks.

Edit 2: I've got an odd lighting issue. Observe:

I've played around with various things to try and determine what is causing it, even deleting all the lights in the room model, but to avail. Oddly, the two tanks I added don't do this - the placeables inside them are stuck in the unlit state. I have tried to figure out what is different about them, but I can't see anything besides position/orientation.

• Like 1

Of course as placeables they don't have any lightmaps, so a better approach might be to include them in the room model instead. That way they would match the rest without needing to have custom textures (and would remain compatible with any 3rd party retextures).

It would also let you avoid 2DA and UTP nonsense. Editing the area models is pretty trivial with the new tools, so I would definitely recommend it.

I've played around with various things to try and determine what is causing it, even deleting all the lights in the room model, but to avail. Oddly, the two tanks I added don't do this - the placeables inside them are stuck in the unlit state. I have tried to figure out what is different about them, but I can't see anything besides position/orientation.

I can't say what the source of the problem is exactly, but I believe I've seen this before. The room where the prototype accelerator is in the Vulkar base has similar problems with the window. I remember trying to fix that before and ruling out a lot of possibilities (it's nothing to do with the glass texture, for example). My guess is it's a problem with the area model. This was before we had the new tools, so I gave up on it at the time, but it may actually be a trivial fix now.

Seems like it is the transparency with blending additive semantic of the texture. If I set the texture to have no transparency (and no TXI semantic) and use the mesh alpha setting instead to get transparency then I don't see the problem. It's a lot more dull though. I assume that's what the blending additive was for, to really pump up the brightness. I'll have a play with the values, maybe try different texture semantics.

Edit: Interestingly, if I keep the transparency via the texture but just remove the blending additive semantic, then it's the whole placeable mesh that disappears depending on viewing angle, not just the lighting. I noticed something similar with my original replacement of the square kolto tank. When looking through one side, the body and floor would disappear. I ended up fixing it by replacing that side with a duplicate of the opposite tank wall. In that model, each glass wall side is made up of four sheets of polys seemingly occupying the same space with normals pointing inwards. For some reason my version got screwed up during either decompiling or compiling.

If this project does become successful, could we please see a future mod that adds the same diversity to the Jedi being held on the Star Forge bridge?

Interestingly, if I keep the transparency via the texture but just remove the blending additive semantic, then it's the whole placeable mesh that disappears depending on viewing angle, not just the lighting.

That's the problem I had before with the swoop garage window on Nar Shaddaa; by default it's missing the TXI data and causes a disappearing problem like you described. That's strange, though. I was sure I had ruled out all texture and shader possibilities for the Taris problem (it already got its transparency from the mesh). So either that was a different problem or there are more layers to this issue.

You're right about blending additive, though. It works pretty much like the post production kind - the luminosity of the window texture gets added to whatever is drawn behind it. Generally that means the background will still be dark but characters will be brighter and stand out more. There are other blending modes like punchthrough, but I've never experimented with them much.

It seems like if you use the trimesh alpha in conjunction with texture transparency that this resolves the issue. At least as far as I can tell anyway. I can't see any noticeable changes when altering viewing angle/moving around the room.

Edit: I swapped out the base tank glass texture for one of the other versions that is slightly darker and uses an envmap. I think it is pretty much ready for an initial release.

One future addition that might be cool is some scripting that detects what appearance the player is using, and if they match one of the bodies in the tanks then swap that clone out for a body with a different head. I already have the installer set up to include all 12 body variants I made, even though not all of them are used, so the spares could be hidden under the floor or something.

Also the whole "their injuries are terrible" thing probably warrants some textures that reflect that.

Edit: Released - http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5919-downloaddiversified-wounded-republic-soldiers-on-taris/

• Like 1

Starting work on the Star Forge Jedi captives, creating new bodies:

K1_Diversified_Star_Forge_Jedi_Fuel_01_T

Still needs a bit of post-posing cleanup to fix some deformation issues (joints like knees and elbows are always a pain), and adjust the smoothing.

Also the whole "their injuries are terrible" thing probably warrants some textures that reflect that.

For this, I think a bunch of burn marks would makes the most sense, as the Sith are using blasters and sabers for the most part.

(BTW, vibroblades would lead to some gnarly injuries as the blade is basically a chainsaw in how fast it vibrates; So you're doing far worse to the Sith soldiers when you melee them. ;) )

If I may suggest something for the Starforge Jedi: Maybe use the heads of the jedi we meet on Dantooine as that's where they were taken captive and recognising them would give the scene a greater impact. You could even use Yuthura if she was redeemed on Korriban.

• Like 1

It seems like if you use the trimesh alpha in conjunction with texture transparency that this resolves the issue. At least as far as I can tell anyway. I can't see any noticeable changes when altering viewing angle/moving around the room.

Edit: I swapped out the base tank glass texture for one of the other versions that is slightly darker and uses an envmap. I think it is pretty much ready for an initial release.

One future addition that might be cool is some scripting that detects what appearance the player is using, and if they match one of the bodies in the tanks then swap that clone out for a body with a different head. I already have the installer set up to include all 12 body variants I made, even though not all of them are used, so the spares could be hidden under the floor or something.

Edit: Released - http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5919-downloaddiversified-wounded-republic-soldiers-on-taris/

Many thanks.

You could even use Yuthura if she was redeemed on Korriban.

I was thinking yesterday about how to script swaps to avoid cloning the player's head. I think it is possible for the bodies on Taris, because they aren't referenced anywhere besides the GIT. The problem with the Jedi on the Star Forge is that they are called by a large number of scripts. Seeing as scripts call by tag, not resref, I don't know of an easy way to swap unique variants out. The only way would probably be to rewrite a dozen or more scripts to handle that. That's not only well beyond my ability, there are also 3 or 4 scripts that won't decompile, so it may not even be possible regardless of who is doing it.

Decompiling failure may be a big problem, but putting that aside I think it should be doable. You can have files with different resrefs but the same tag, so that shouldn't matter. It would mean you would need two copies of every body, though.

For the code, you'd need subroutines that would look something like this:

void CREATE_PLC(string sTag, location lLocation) {

CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE, sTag, lLocation);

}

void JEDI_VICTIM_SWAP(string sTag) {

object oPLC = GetObjectByTag(sTag, 0);

location lPLC = GetLocation(oPLC);

string sSuffix = "_alt";

DestroyObject(oPLC, 0.0, 0, 0.1, 0);

DelayCommand(1.0, CREATE_PLC(sTag + sSuffix, lPLC));

}

And then in main() you would have to check each placeable for the conditions you want, then run the swap subroutine if it applies. Then when it runs it'll delete the placeable and spawn a different one in the same location. So long as you maintain a consistent naming convention it should be fine. In this case, a placeable called "placeable" would be replaced by "placeable_alt" but you could change the string to whatever, or number them.

But this could all be done through one script, most likely OnEnter. It's manageable.

I think it would be easier just to use non-player heads. After a quick lap around the Dantooine enclave, these are the Jedi mooks I could see:

K1_Jedi_NPCs_on_Dantooine_TH.jpg

Two of them use player heads (I think both of which I already used for the tank bodies), so they are out. One is a Belaya clone (?). That leaves the chick with black hair, beardy, false Batu Rem (that guy gets around), and the terentatek Twi'lek bloke. I should be able to come up with another 4 from the other NPC heads. At least one of them should probably be another non-human.

• Like 1