VarsityPuppet

Youtube idiocy and VP's nemesis

I wasn't originally going to post anything, but this just ended up being so funny that I had to share. I also know nothing helps promote community bonding like a common enemy. Darth Balor/Pikmin was the guy back in the day and it's about time we had a new one.

Not that we really need one - but we got one anyways.

But I'd like to preface my fun story with a little tidbit that happened a while back.

Like many awesome people nowadays, I have a smartphone. Whenever I get Gmails, my phone will alert me with Navi saying "HEY, LISTEN!" (That's for you, ZM90). Usually it's important stuff, but this particular one was on a youtube comment on one of my videos. I immediately thought it strange because I don't really have that many videos, so I wondered what someone could possibly have commented on my video.

I went and checked it out.

Lo and behold on my promo video of the HK Factory (Well-known for having featured HK-50s and HK-51s comes this comment)

Bc86Z14.png

For those who are wondering, I know that there are HK-51s in TOR. Whether or not they are bastardized versions of them is up for debate (I'll decide when I get there). Maybe I'm overreacting, but with all of the time I've spent replaying the HK Factory, it's hard to imagine someone NOT knowing about the TSL HK-51s.

And that brings me to my main story.

So again, checking my Gmail and it tells me I have a message on Youtube. It's probably spam or someone with a personal vendetta I thought, but I had just brought my brother to work at 5 AM and I wasn't tired.

So I read and I find out it's the latter. But it's not just any old annoying person on Youtube.

Y7M4PRS.png

That was begot from this comment of mine. 5 months ago.

baQC6pB.png

So, what is this about? Well, I'll fill you in.

A while ago, there was this fellow named Jaevyn. He started up a WIP thread he was working on for a planet named Cathalan. Thread can be found here.

If you don't want to read it, it basically it consists of everyone at Holowan Labs praising the idea behind his mod. This is a good example of why story mods can never be gauged well from screenshots. And this is the perfect example of how something with a great idea can turn out to be truly terrible. While my main gripe was the irrationally orange characters, there were a slew of other issues that plagued it. It was fairly buggy, and while that itself isn't a crime (except against modding) his mod ultimately was  banned for using copyrighted material.

But more about those orange people. You may wonder why it is an issue at all. When he released the mod, I was the first one to criticize his orange people. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't so contrasted with the rest of the environment. We're talking dark blue backgrounds that made them look neon orange. According to Jaevyn, it is the atmosphere of the planet that makes them orange. Fine, make the environment orange too.

Fallen Guardian and NewbieModder asked the same question, but his explanation to them is that it was his computer that was making them orange... WHAT?

Anywho, I'm sure Sith Holocron will chime in about his ridiculousness. I'm pretty sure Jaevyn has a blog post on his site about how Lucasforums is.... something.

If you want to see how truly terrible the mod is, you can download it here. I don't know if it has gotten any better since I played it last. One silver lining is that it has VO from Zhaboka which is stellar.

Lastly, I want to comment on Jaevyn's attempts to put me down as a modder - not that they are successful in any way, but so you can see how ridiculously inane his commentary actually is.

Nemesis implies that somehow I'm your principle enemy, which is slightly amusing considering my hiatus from modding.

Hiatus? Well, actually that might be appropriate because I'm on hiatus as well.

Oh wait... except he was banned

de8APK7.png

While you might consider me an enemy of sorts I do not, simply for the fact that you have produced nothing of decent consequence since I left the modding scene.

Yeah, except this which has been very difficult, if not impossible to pull off in the past (and had to be done manually). And now I released a Visas, Revan and Exile head. There are Bastila heads around too. Seems of decent consequence.

Not to mention I have people re-releasing my own mods (Thank you Fallen Guardian) and I've contributed to both TSLRCM and ROR.

Holographic lightsabers? That's a two minute job, even the reskin is barely an hours work at most. Armoured robes? Like that hasn't been done before.

Armoured Robes are featured in 90SK Ultimate Appearance Mod. I combined the cloak from a Jedi robe and the Heavy Armor. This is not Darth Darkus or Dak Drexl's mod. Nothing against them, but this is a bit more complex than reskins. Again in the 'difficult to pull off' section of modding.

The holographic sabers you may not know much about.

. Really what I was trying to do was to come up with a way you could edit and change lightsabers on the workbench in real-time. It's a long story, but essentially what I had to do to get that working involved modeling, the correct placement of scripts and dummies and in actuality, that holographic effect is the same that is applied to characters in hologram scenes in the game, thus negating the requirement for endless reskins. That lightsaber is an invisible character model that is being rendered with the hologram effect

I should congratulate you on the reskins, you're going where every modder has gone before, good on you! Maybe one day you actually might make something worthwhile, until then you're inconsequential to me, more so because the only gripe you could make was about the atmosphere of the planet.

See above.

As you can see, Jaevyn is quite a silly fellow. And all of this simply because he had to defend his decision to make people orange. Even to this day he argues that it's because of the atmosphere of the planet. I wish the release thread was still around so you could see him desperately try to defend his position. In all fairness, maybe i was a little mean, callous, overly-critical.

On the other hand, people are not orange.

• Like 2

You'll always have stupid people... especially on YouTube...

Just, ignore them and move on would be the best advice I think...

I was listening

while reading your post and.... man, I gotta say, there was a really epic battle in my head!

You'll always have stupid people... especially on YouTube...

Just, ignore them and move on would be the best advice I think...

The point not being that it's from youtube, but that Jaevyn, having been banned from LF for such a failure of a mod, seems to think he can make an intelligent analysis on a community he was never really a part of.

This doesn't bother me - it's just really funny.

If you're not releasing Malachor VI in the near future, at least post the Cathlan discussion cut scene on YouTube. I think would be a fine TL;DR (too long didn't read) version of your OP.

BTW, I edited your OP. You mentioned that I might have something more to say about this and I might have more later. However, you also mentioned that there was a blog bashing LF.  I separated the two thoughts and made them separate sentences. Jaevyn has a blog insulting LF, not I.  My abandoned blog is on this site and had me rambling about voice recording.  I have nothing but love for the folks running the LF moderation. (SS's banhammer FTW!)

Now that I think back on all that I realize the guy was either a compulsive liar or actually braindamaged. He did tell me once that he took a nasty blow to the head and couldnt seem to remember anything for more than a day. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Like 1

Um....the idea of having the lightsaber being holographically disaplayed above the work bench? Save for perhaps having it horizontal instead of vertical(if that is possible), I would love having that. If is has to be displayed as is, I'd still want it.

Perhaps such an idea of a planet's atmosphere having an effect on everything isn't a bad idea, but the problem here is the choice of color. Blue would work if the planet was one with a very short day cycle, and a long night cycle(or a planet that just didn't get much sun). Red works too, so long as the shade change on the envionment and characters is RED, and not pink. But orange, although not the worst color to use, it is somewhat laughable, since it can't inspire much, be it simple fear or mystery(at least not when it's on EVERYTHING). However, as far as I can remember, the case was that he had the orange look to not only the exerior areas, but also the interiors as well. Sounds like more an issue with lightmaps or something, and an unwillingness or the lack of knowledge to fix/change it. Though I really can't say for sure.

• Like 1

I have the same Navi ringtone for whenever I receive texts and the LoZ theme music for whenever someone is calling.  I've had my smart phone for almost a year and I made it LoZ themed.

I don't have any enemies in the KotOR community personally though which I consider a good thing.

If you want to see how truly terrible the mod is, you can download it here. I don't know if it has gotten any better since I played it last. One silver lining is that it has VO from Zhaboka which is stellar.

You're truly too kind. Biggest waste of home studio recording time in my whole voice-over "career." That mod was a buggy clusterf---.

It's honestly a little sad to see that cowards sometimes remain cowards and continue to bury their mistakes instead of learn from them.

You're truly too kind. Biggest waste of home studio recording time in my whole voice-over "career." That mod was a buggy clusterf---.

It's honestly a little sad to see that cowards sometimes remain cowards and continue to bury their mistakes instead of learn from them.

Agreed.

LOL, yesterday I went and called him out on his buggy unfinished crap-tastic mod on his youtube page and he almost instantly removed my comment. Truth hurt I guess. So, i made another comment stating that he can keep removing my posts but it dosen't change the fact that his mod is a buggy unfinished crap-tastic mess.

I'm sure he'll delete that one too.

Notice how his personal website has nowhere to comment, send email or anything?  

Ah youtube idiocy, take a look at this: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=197636&highlight=youtube

to vp: If possible can you tell me how you got the real time workbench to function? I ask because it looks to be useful in one of the mods I am dreaming up.

Ah yes, I remember seeing some incredibly inane comments on Shem's videos.

If I can find the files, I may send them to you Hunter's Run. If not I may have to go into a big explanation and that could take a while.

I had a great idea. What if I played through Cathalan and uploaded the video with a commentary? I feel like that would really piss off Jaevyn, but it would be quite funny.

What if I played through Cathalan and uploaded the video with a commentary? I feel like that would really piss off Jaevyn, but it would be quite funny.

Why would you torture yourself by playing through that mod?  It's not like you're a internet celebrity playing bad games and selling your merchandise off of it (like AVGN for example).

I've never played that mod, but it sounds hilarious - I'd watch a video of it with your commentary, VP!

I had a great idea. What if I played through Cathalan and uploaded the video with a commentary? I feel like that would really piss off Jaevyn, but it would be quite funny.

Follow it up with Malachor VI and you have a win. Plus he couldn't delete the comments!

I hope I can get through it now lol

And yes, If I can get all components of the Malachor VI cutscene with the Sith Soldiers, then it shall be done.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I have the footage recorded. I'll go through and add some witty commentary and then, of course, preface the video with a legendary scene from Malachor VI.

I'll have to do this in segments because I definitely was not really paying attention and died.

Make sure to upload Jaevyn's mod credit section separately as it will inevitably be taken down due to copyright infringement. (He actually had the gall to claim that he got the permission to use Queen's "I Want It All" along with Hans Zimmer and quite a few other musicians.)

I'm excited to say that I finally got the video done!!!

It's not as good as I could do, but I may be compelled to try another should time allow.

Perhaps I'll review some other mods... maybe some by newbiemodder? Who knows what could happen?

• Like 1

Haha, it'd be a lot harder to make fun of Newbie...

Interesting to hear your voice after so long of conversing digitally. Great review! It feels suitably biting.

Too right about the orange crap. However, 9 minutes of ranting... VP, you must hate the man! Too fun about the german accent.

Too right about the orange crap. However, 9 minutes of ranting... VP, you must hate the man! Too fun about the german accent.

The other botched videos I had were over 30 minutes long...

I originally had a lot more to say but I got stuck in the part that looks like the refugee sector

Perhaps I'll review some other mods... maybe some by newbiemodder

What did I do? :)

I think the german guy was more of a Nihilist...like the guys from the Big Lebowski.