Atton Rand

EA acquires exclusive Star Wars License

I hope they don't make KotOR III.

Out of all potential companies, EA certainly wouldn't be my first choice. In fact I wouldn't want any company to have "exclusive" rights to Star Wars.

Frankly this is disquieting news to me. EA has recently had a terrible track record for putting any care into the games they produce. They not only (lost/fired) their CEO who ran the company with the motto, "copy whatever is popular and use whatever license is at hand to sell it". Yet, the truly troubling part comes from the fact that after losing their CEO, there still has been no signs of them learning that this method of business not only stifles the creativity of games produced, but also has the very real possibility of eroding or utterly destroying the future of the aforementioned licensed property. Instead, recently there has only been arrogance and outright denial coming from what's left of the company. I am concerned that this trend will continue, and we'll end up with a cheap imitation of another game with a few of the same character and location names from the proceeding KOTOR games.

However, just because their business has been rather lackluster, I don't necessarily think that no matter what happens, the game will be an abysmal failure. Many great titles have been created by this very same company, albeit with minimal control of the Development team. My chief concern is what Zbyl brought up. If they have "exclusive" rights, then they may never learn from their mistakes from Dead Space 3, Sim CIty, ....(and arguably TOR). They may take complete control of the product and proceed to remove everything that made the original product stand out as its own and then gouge the consumers who still held hope for the series..

Yet I still hope this doesn't happen, and that they learn to trust whichever developer they commision to create a significantly better product with what's left of their sizable assets. If they can do this, then I have no problem with the acquisition. After all, it was in a similar climate that Mass Effect 1 and Dead Space 1 were first created.

They're surely capable of making better games than Disney. And even if they don't make KOTOR III, they might make some games pertaining to the same time period as KOTOR II or KOTOR. For instance, a game based on the Mandalorian wars and the Jedi Civil war would be exciting, Battlefront 3 would be great and so would Star Wars 1313. So I think we're in for some fun :)

Great news guys. Hopefully we'll see KOTOR 3, and some more Battlefront games. But none of the games will be released before April 2014. Here is the link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ea-acquires-star-wars-game-license

What are your thoughts?

Two things I noticed in your link:

1. They will use a newer engine! So we all have to learn to mod all over again...

2. They want our advice on Twitter for what games we want. Anyone believe they'll actually consider our feedback?

I really am not sure how to react to this.... I mean, cool, we MAY get Battlefront 3 and KOTOR 3 finally, but....EA? I don't really like the idea of that hell-spawn being tied to one of my favorite games....

5f4oaFt.gif

According to EA Labels president Frank Gibeau, three studios are already working on Star Wars games: Battlefield developer DICE, Dead Space developer Visceral and Mass Effect developer BioWare.[/size][/color]

BioWare is working on a SW game. What could that mean? KotOR 3? Addon for TOR? Something completely new?[/size]

Anyway, if it's not a MMO, then I will play it. Let's just hope that it will not suck like Dragon Age 2.[/size]

BioWare is working on a SW game. What could that mean? KotOR 3?

Rampant, unfounded speculation on my part:

Knights of the New Republic

to tie in nicely with the release of Episode VII :ice:

You heard it here first!!! :P

I'm totally behind the inclusion of a new Battlefront game (finally!),

but that was the least informative teaser trailer I have ever seen for E3.

So, there will be a battle on Hoth... just like every single earlier installment; except this one showed significantly less gameplay/cinematics than the Battlefront 2 reveal.

I only hope that they have a more detailed trailer or at least some gameplay later in the expo show. (although with DICE on the project, it should be an ambitious one indeed  :D )

Indeed - and it's interesting that First Assault (a Battlefield-like FPS) was cancelled, and now DICE is making a new Battlefront.

It seems that Visceral and Bioware both are working on a new Star Wars RPG. I'm starting to get optimistic here!

Yeah, that Bioware one is a tad silly. An "unannounced project" does not mean a new star wars game. It's probably TOR's new expansion.

I read the BioWare one, I don't see anything pointing to it being Star Wars. And EA said they'd discuss "other Star Wars projects" at E3 besides Battlefront, but that didn't happen, so...

I read the BioWare one, I don't see anything pointing to it being Star Wars. And EA said they'd discuss "other Star Wars projects" at E3 besides Battlefront, but that didn't happen, so...

When EA announced the LucasFilm partnership, they said DICE and Visceral would join Bioware in developing Star Wars games, hence why I've got my hopes up on that one

After BioWare's latest games it's hard for me to warm up to any news surrounding them. We'll see how the next Dragon Age fares though... they might redeem themselves. Or forever lost their once mighty title...

Hassat, Bioware is a brand now, nobody at Bioware Austin has had anything to do with any game but TOR. Dragon Age can't really redeem them since this bioware is a completely different studio.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

For the record, "new RPG" doesn't necessarily mean Star Wars.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

For the record, "new RPG" doesn't necessarily mean Star Wars.

That is true, but it certainly means "not SWTOR"

Edited by Hassat Hunter

So, what will it be now? Microtransactions? Tacked on multiplayer/co-op? Day-1 DLC with important story characters?

Place your bets.

I'm imagining how the Yavin space station was handled in the Xbox version of Kotor, which was paid dlc, on a much larger scale.