djnugent

SW-The Old Republic-Worth it or not...?

If you're not subscribed, you can't play the new KotFE storyline, there's a weekly limit on group content, and you don't get free cartel coins every month. Other than that, everything else is available, except you might also have less available server slots.

And I pretty much solely play on Shadowlands.

Wow: I had seriously underestimated the sheer size of this game - as in physical size of the files/folders.... stupid jerks lied, I had to clear over 40+ GB of space off of my HDD before it would install correctly... LOT's of TEMP file storage apparently... 

Which means I had to uninstall both KOTOR and TSL, which probably needed reinstalling anyways

Also, I can see why people actually purchase GAMING keyboards - I'm going to have to spend some time on key-mapping...

So wait, did the different "types" of servers get abandoned? I was just looking at the server selection screen (though I'm not starting to actually play ATM) and they aren't there anymore...

They apparently replaced PvP and PvE servers with PvP and PvE preference and now you can play both on a same server by picking another preference. Dunno why the don't tell which are RP servers anymore, though. You can see the list there, but I don't know how up-to-date it is.

Hmm...do they change types? As in, does a PvP server suddenly become a PvE server (for example)?

I may be changing to Begeren Colony...

They are both same. You can pick if you want to play PvE or PvP without changing the server. There's a tutorial entry about it once you get your character started.

Yeah, I read it... it wasn't the most informative tut, but that may be from my point of view

I guess the only other question I've got is what's the biggest difference between PvE and RP-PvE (that article doesn't really differentiate between the two). Does picking one over the other (SERVER wise) give you anything?

(And the correct term was "instance" and not "preference"... I blame my game client which was acting up, so I wasn't able to check the terminology.)

I'd say that the difference between PvE and RP-PvE servers is that there's RP guilds on RP-PvE servers.

Ok... I caved and bought a 2 month subscription. I'm up to level 10 so far. Definitely a learning curve for those of us not used to MMORPG types. Hopefully I'll be able to roll into the meat of the story soon.

Assuming you likely have a smart phone, you might want to both add security to your account and add some 100 extra Cartel Credits (per month) as well by adding a Security Key to your account. Read about that here.

Well, so far there's 3 of us on 3 different servers.

Begeren Colony, The Harbinger, Jedi Covenant, and I think there were quite a few on Red Eclipse back in the day.

I have a bunch of characters on the US west coast server Harbinger. I also have few (mostly/all Republic I think) low to mid level chars on the EU RP server Progenitor, but as I mentioned in a reply to LiliArch's status I haven't really looked at them since launch.

Ok... so far this is a lot more fun than I thought it would be... It gets easier to ignore other players the farther in you go, apparently :-P

Maybe not great news for anyone that just started playing in the last week or two, but if you are planning on playing SWTOR, you might want to hold off for a few more days:

http://www.swtor.com/dark-vs-light/

Basically you get rewards for every new character you create and level to 50 (and above for higher tiers) after the event starts on June 28.

More info here: http://www.swtor.com/blog/dark-vs.-light-event-and-rewards-blog and here: http://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-dark-vs-light-event-list/

It kinda sucks for anyone who has already levelled all the classes, especially multiple times, but it's probably a great time to be someone new to the game.

i'd say yes and i'd say no,SWTOR is a great game (especially with it's new dlc) ,there is a monthly subs. ,but it's worth it. SWTOR has a great developer team,pretty cool lads,but there is one huge issue in SWTOR,it's got a Fu**** up community,most of it consists of trolls,scammers,immature people and simply a-holes that will try to laugh at anything you post,though i heard that most US servers are nicer then EU,though i didn't really check.

by short: Great game,great content,great devs,Fu**** up community,bad customer support and a (not too high) monthly subs if you want every feature

as a rper,i play on rp servers,though i had to take a few breaks, since the community ruined the fun at times. Word of advice: after ignoring over 100 people,your experience and fun in gameplay will increase alot,there are alot of morons playing swtor,but you can find mature people among the crowd. I really wish alot of the community wasn't 12 year olds doing ERP and spamming the chat.

I am a 24 year old man and a kid tried to bully me in SWTOR once,jeez,what a moron XD

i'd say yes and i'd say no,SWTOR is a great game (especially with it's new dlc) ,there is a monthly subs. ,but it's worth it. SWTOR has a great developer team,pretty cool lads,but there is one huge issue in SWTOR,it's got a Fu**** up community,most of it consists of trolls,scammers,immature people and simply a-holes that will try to laugh at anything you post,though i heard that most US servers are nicer then EU,though i didn't really check.

by short: Great game,great content,great devs,Fu**** up community,bad customer support and a (not too high) monthly subs if you want every feature

as a rper,i play on rp servers,though i had to take a few breaks, since the community ruined the fun at times. Word of advice: after ignoring over 100 people,your experience and fun in gameplay will increase alot,there are alot of morons playing swtor,but you can find mature people among the crowd. I really wish alot of the community wasn't 12 year olds doing ERP and spamming the chat.

I am a 24 year old man and a kid tried to bully me in SWTOR once,jeez,what a moron XD

HA!!!! Generally the wussiest people are those who think that how they MMO defines them as a person... 

Unless you actually develop, launch, and/or support the game, a video GAME in no way defines you... and you are stupid if you think it does.

Awesome :-)

Yes..I've basically just been ignoring everyone. It's weird to get spam "mail" in game. That bugs me. 

Also, this is seriously my first MMO / MMORPG. I started a game with my brother last night, who is a pro - I think I was testing his patience cuz I want to see EVERYTHING (seeing as how I'm paying for it...) and he's just like "Come ON, man!!! Let's GO!!! Woo Star Wars" and such    :P

So far kinda fun... maybe cuz it's new to me. 

So far kinda fun... maybe cuz it's new to me. 

Yeah that's why must of us did say you should try it, even a large part those of us (le me) who aren't specially huge fans of it, and are not playing it at the time think it is worth it to try it, at least for a few months it's a nice game (now that there has been expansions it also have more live expectancy), and then yeah MMO's have something addicting about it, so if it's your first one, yeah you've been trapped in the spider-web :P

Anyone who tells you "you should never try that piece of ****" are just too biased, even if i dislike the game as an entity (not as a game) for everything it represents and means for the future of kotor and it's characters... x)

Anyone who tells you "you should never try that piece of ****" are just too biased, even if i dislike the game as an entity (not as a game) for everything it represents and means for the future of kotor and it's characters... x)

I'm not disagreeing with your dislike (the big picture of it is just... too dumb to bear) but focus on your character arc instead, and you'll find some really classy writing.

Ive played into it a long time ago (i think it was still version 2.x)  (i  had played Jedi Consular into late game but  Knight and Sith Sorcerer only about lvl20 and know KOTF only from youtube).

A few things i noticed: 

To play a "light side" Sith is way more entertaining than Jedi. Also the story seems to be much better written too.

But what really bugs me is the  size of the maps - they are much  too oversized and all the grinding quests like  kill 30 droids or bring & fetch 20 materials XYZ are totally  unnerving  if you get them over and over again.

Nevertheless there are some cinematic moments that are quite cinematic and memorable.

Overall the narrative is - even if they are different games - from my perspective - the old Bioware like and much more thought through than the writing in the "offline" MMO Dragon Age Inquisition.

Well, You don't need to play all those grinding quests anymore.

Since KOTFE it's enough to play The class and planet Story quests to Keep up with The enemy levels

Okay...quick status update...

I'm having a lot of fun :-P

Still early on - glad I bought the subscription because it's helping me to level up really quickly. Still getting a feel for the technical side of stuff... Like equipment mods and crew-skills (and how to use those crew skills to build mods) and so on...

Note to new and/or returning players - CLEAR ROOM ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!! It said 25 GB needed...ended up needing close to 50 GB due to temp files and shadow copies being moved around while it installed and updated.

- If you haven't purchased an SSD yet...this would be a good reason to. Mine filled up (mostly because of this game), so I just bought another one (small one, 60 GB) that's going to be my dedicated "Star Wars - Knights of the old Whatever" drive. 

With all of the high-resolution texture mods for KOTOR and TSL, the SSD made the difference - all the CPU, GPU, and RAM in the world won't help if you're being limited to how fast the disc can spin. I feel for people trying to run this game without one... and I have some kick ass hardware installed

Anyhoo - I'm on Bergeron Colony RP-PvE server... so i'll see you out there! You'll find me later as Darth VanDuzer

Okay...quick status update...

I'm having a lot of fun :-P

Still early on - glad I bought the subscription because it's helping me to level up really quickly. Still getting a feel for the technical side of stuff... Like equipment mods and crew-skills (and how to use those crew skills to build mods) and so on...

Note to new and/or returning players - CLEAR ROOM ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!! It said 25 GB needed...ended up needing close to 50 GB due to temp files and shadow copies being moved around while it installed and updated.

- If you haven't purchased an SSD yet...this would be a good reason to. Mine filled up (mostly because of this game), so I just bought another one (small one, 60 GB) that's going to be my dedicated "Star Wars - Knights of the old Whatever" drive.

With all of the high-resolution texture mods for KOTOR and TSL, the SSD made the difference - all the CPU, GPU, and RAM in the world won't help if you're being limited to how fast the disc can spin. I feel for people trying to run this game without one... and I have some kick ass hardware installed

Anyhoo - I'm on Bergeron Colony RP-PvE server... so i'll see you out there! You'll find me later as Darth VanDuzer

Yaaaassss!!! Begeten Colony FTW! I will see you on there once my wifi comes back on. (I'm typing this from my phone). I'm either Vorannis, Ierran or Sanrah. I should really post my characters in the SWTOR thread.

So.. Been playing now for over a month and a half - not a bad storyline - completed the base Sith Warrior storyline. I'm now a Level 61 playing "Shadow of Revan"... and was immediately disappointed w/ Revan's big entrance......... too bad - so many places they could have gone, but seems to me they took the easy way out.

My plan is to continue this character - is the level cap 65?

Also - now that I have a level 60+ character of my own, can I use this character to play "KOFE" or do I have to make a new character using the "Create Level 60" character option? 

ALSO, NOTE TO OTHER Deadly Stream USERS IN THE SW:TOR WORLD: I keep getting Group and/or Guild invites - I'm not interested in Guilds (yet  :thumbup: ). However, I would be happy to assist in group stuff, but we need some way to differentiate who is on Deadly Stream...because, while I would be more than happy to assist on really difficult levels with some good rewards with other Deadly Stream peeps, I couldn't care less about random people.

Any ideas? Other than a Deadly Stream Guild? 

Although I haven't played in a few months, from what I remember the level cap is 65. Also, if you want to play KOTFE with a preexisting character I think you can just go and start it once level 60. However, I believe that if you do so before trying the other expansions, you won't be able to complete them from memory. Someone should of course, confirm my hazy memory.

Shadow of Revan was the absolute low-point of the game IMO. Keep playing and enjoy what follows!

Although I haven't played in a few months, from what I remember the level cap is 65. Also, if you want to play KOTFE with a preexisting character I think you can just go an start it once level 60. However, I believe that if you do so before trying the other expansions, you won't be able to complete them from memory. Someone should of course, confirm my hazy memory.

You are correct.

Shadow of Revan was the absolute low-point of the game IMO.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm not denying your right to that opinion. I personally enjoyed it a lot, dlg was much better than in some of the planetary arcs, and I wasn't forced to act out of character (though I had a hilarious moment when Lana apologized about putting my agent undercover) and the level design was beautiful. But of course, that requires getting yourself a certain attitude towards the whole game (and focusing on your character arc instead of all of the weird things that are going on around you), and I understand that not everyone is able/willing to do that.

Is the Shadow of Revan Expansion single player?

You can play it singleplayer, you can also complete the included flashpoints with a group, whichever you choose. I think. I did it singleplayer.
  • Like 1

You are correct.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm not denying your right to that opinion. I personally enjoyed it a lot, dlg was much better than in some of the planetary arcs, and I wasn't forced to act out of character (though I had a hilarious moment when Lana apologized about putting my agent undercover) and the level design was beautiful. But of course, that requires getting yourself a certain attitude towards the whole game (and focusing on your character arc instead of all of the weird things that are going on around you), and I understand that not everyone is able/willing to do that.

You can play it singleplayer, you can also complete the included flashpoints with a group, whichever you choose. I think. I did it singleplayer.

My main gripe was with the way they dealt with Revan - totally unacceptable IMV. Although I suppose once something has already been absolutely shredded, what's one more tear going to do?