djnugent

SW-The Old Republic-Worth it or not...?

Also - now that I have a level 60+ character of my own, can I use this character to play "KOFE" or do I have to make a new character using the "Create Level 60" character option?

The option to create a level 60 character is just for those people that want to roll a new character for KOTFE without having to grind it all the way up from level 1. Your existing character can jump into KOTFE no problem. If it's your first character then (assuming you haven't already) it would be advisable to do all the ROTHC, SOR, and Ziost story content beforehand, so you are familiar with all the back story, characters, and references. With how overpowered the companions are now, you should be able to burn through that pretty quickly if you ignore all the side-quests.

• Like 1

The option to create a level 60 character is just for those people that want to roll a new character for KOTFE without having to grind it all the way up from level 1. Your existing character can jump into KOTFE no problem. If it's your first character then (assuming you haven't already) it would be advisable to do all the ROTHC, SOR, and Ziost story content beforehand, so you are familiar with all the back story, characters, and references. With how overpowered the companions are now, you should be able to burn through that pretty quickly if you ignore all the side-quests.

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure. 

I've started almost completely ignoring the side quests - makes it hard sometimes because some of the side quests make the overall story more immersive, but they take FOREVERRRRERERERERererrrrrrrr..... 

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.

I've started almost completely ignoring the side quests - makes it hard sometimes because some of the side quests make the overall story more immersive, but they take FOREVERRRRERERERERererrrrrrrr.....

Heck, even the story missions feel like they take forever. I pretty much will only do Heroics, Story Missions or FlashPoints

Heck, even the story missions feel like they take forever.

Their basic level design is a series of hallways stuffed with endless trash mobs. It becomes extremely tedious after more than a couple of minutes, and they stretch it out as long as possible to pad out the play time. Then you get to the end of the corridor and there's the old "fight boss who takes X amount of damage, goes invulnerable, spawns adds, repeat until dead" trick they love so much.

okay... lame

****WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS****

Playing Revanite chapter, and I'm flushing out Revanites in the build-up to the grand finale... But I'm stuck on a FlashPoint where both the Boss Bad Guy and myself w/ my NPC are healing as fast as we take damage, so I ended up in this endless fight for almost 30+ minutes before I bailed and shut the game down (because the damn thing wouldn't let me quit!) 

What the hell?!?!? Also, I messed up and hit the "Start Flashpoint" instead of "Solo Mode", which I think may make it harder, but it won't let me reset the flashpoint OR the mission itself... any thoughts?

I messed up and hit the "Start Flashpoint" instead of "Solo Mode"

Yeah that would be your problem. The boss is scaled for a party of four. That fact that you even got that far shows how ridiculously overpowered companions are now. You'd never be able to solo a flashpoint solo in the old days without being 5-10+ levels above it, which doesn't work any more with level scaling.

Resetting the flashpoint won't help, you'd just have to do it from scratch. Presumably you can't drop it because it is part of a story quest chain. I'd say your only option is to get someone in to help you. What server are you on? If nobody here is on the same server, you'll have to go with a pickup group of randoms.

hahahahahahahahaha

My subscription status expired into "Preferred" status.... and I'm leaving for 2 weeks...in 2 weeks... So... Not really inclined to pay for 2 weeks I know I'm not going to actively use, and with the reduced XP, I can't just go kill stuff and do Heroics willy nilly to level up the 3 levels I need to reach 65 and make it passable....

So... guess I'm waiting...?

:wallbash:

So...I'll take this opportunity to ask a couple of game-play questions:

1. What the HELL is up with the humongous shoulder-blades on all of the armors & jackets? Some of these look pretty awesome, EXCEPT for the HUGE blades coming off of them... which I understand may be a running joke in the MMORPG community...?

which leads to next question...

2. Galactic Trade Market? I keep getting on there, and there is NOTHING there. Do a search, or anything, open search, whatever - NOTHING populates, no items available... 

Sooooo - ????

3. Companion influence - stops being a factor after you complete chapter 3 (completing class story)? That's too bad, I kind of thought they did an okay job with most of the influence system, feel they could have expanded on some of that.

1. What the HELL is up with the humongous shoulder-blades on all of the armors & jackets? Some of these look pretty awesome, EXCEPT for the HUGE blades coming off of them... which I understand may be a running joke in the MMORPG community...?

which leads to next question...

I don't know, but I agree that it is annoying and off-putting. I generally won't wear those armors at all.

2. Galactic Trade Market? I keep getting on there, and there is NOTHING there. Do a search, or anything, open search, whatever - NOTHING populates, no items available... 

Sooooo - ????

Is your search too generic maybe? Perhaps not searching for the right things? Try searching for Darth Revan in the box, and you should get a ton of results.

3. Companion influence - stops being a factor after you complete chapter 3 (completing class story)? That's too bad, I kind of thought they did an okay job with most of the influence system, feel they could have expanded on some of that.

I wasn't aware that companion influence made much of a difference at all. I guess I haven't really paid much attention to it. I just do whatever I do in conversations, gain influence with Kira and then talk to her later ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know, but I agree that it is annoying and off-putting. I generally won't wear those armors at all.

Is your search too generic maybe? Perhaps not searching for the right things? Try searching for Darth Revan in the box, and you should get a ton of results.

I wasn't aware that companion influence made much of a difference at all. I guess I haven't really paid much attention to it. I just do whatever I do in conversations, gain influence with Kira and then talk to her later ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well... the companion influence led to some interesting companion side-stories. Some of which I really felt they could have expanded a whole ton on.

Regarding the Galactic Trade, I'll try some more specific searches, then.

Too bad we can't just mod textures... :-)

Well... the companion influence led to some interesting companion side-stories. Some of which I really felt they could have expanded a whole ton on.

Regarding the Galactic Trade, I'll try some more specific searches, then.

Too bad we can't just mod textures... :-)

Yeah GTN search can get frustrating. It's basically ebay for SWTOR.

Yeah I agree it's too bad about modded textures.

But on the other hand, they have some really great armors that they have made... although of course available for credits or Cartel coins :/

For instance, I've always wanted to see an accurate Ulic-Qel Droma armor, Gav and Jori Daragon, Freedon Nadd, Marka Ragnos, stuff that would be quite difficult to do as mods

In beta all the companions had much more dialogue and all of them had personal quests that you would accompany them on. Now it is only the first companion that gets that (or 2nd, in the case of the Jedi Knight), and a lot of the dialogue has been cut back. You could also kill or dismiss pretty much all of them, but they got rid of that after too many people whined about no longer having a healer after they killed one of their companions.

There is no further personal or companion story progression once you finish the main class quest and all the companion dialogue at level 50, because that's what the core game was built around. When the game failed to live up to their financial expectations, they scrapped any further content focused on personal stories, and went with one generic story for everyone, with the odd throwaway class reference here and there. It's even more generic in KOTFE now that everyone also shares all the same companions.

Yep, the story and end destination of the game is already determined, the only part of it that's non-linear is pieces of the 'journey' there. In this journey you have:

1.) Branching Dialog Options - still move story forward at exactly the same pace regardless of what you choose, the only differing factor is companion influence

2.) "Light/Dark Side Choices" - so far as we've seen, only one choice made in Chapter X has any long-lasting effects, the rest might not be shown until next season

3.) Class Specific Dialog - What DP said was pretty true, but considering the companions, you will get special dialogue for companions that your character used to know. The better dialog happens during the main story missions, but some of the Alliance Recruiting missions can be bypassed if you are a certain class recruiting a returning companion. Downside to this argument is that they don't really flesh out the companions any more. You recruited them? Great. There won't be much point to most of them.

I really hope they fix this error in KotET.

****WARNING - EVEN MORE POTENTIAL SPOILERS****

Okay - Just finished the Revan and Epilogue (Emperor) chapter... and I'll give it a B-Minus:

- I'm happy that it wasn't TOTALLY predictable - I was going to be VERY upset if Revan ended up as nothing more than a megalomaniac.

It's too bad, really - considering that Revan is/was the most POWERFUL Jedi & Sith Lord EVER, they could have done SOOOOOO much more with that....

Especially since there was that really interesting side-story regarding the Revanites towards the beginning of the class story. It set a stage that ended up being almost completely disregarded and meaningless in the end, except for some vague reference once.

Now...I'm having an inner debate w/ myself.

Here a couple of general questions for you guys:

1. Looks like I accidentally skipped the "Rise of the Hutt Cartel" chapter(s) and went straight to Revan:

- Worth backtracking and playing that chapter? I'm going to play it through eventually with a different character class anyways, but if it's worth it to play them through, then I will

2. I have finally gotten just good enough to play (MMORPG, I mean) with my brother, which is ,literally, a dream come true for him. He's played through a few times before, and I'm having a blast running flash-points and Heroics with him. So - the actual question:

-- I'm dying to start the KOTFE, but I'd really enjoy playing with my brother - Can the actual STORY ARCS be played together? I already know that same-class storylines can't, but if I'm a Sith Warrior and he a Sorcerer, can we play side-by-side? Do we both get to immerse in each-other's story arc?

Cuz if not, screw him, I'm going in!!!!

Can the actual STORY ARCS be played together? I already know that same-class storylines can't, but if I'm a Sith Warrior and he a Sorcerer, can we play side-by-side? Do we both get to immerse in each-other's story arc?

No, KOTFE is single player. All you can do is spectate. Makes a lot of sense in an MMO, right?

I know that the question was specific to KOTFE, but in case anyone else stumbles upon the same question for the entire game:

It depends on where you are in the story. In the base game you can play the planet storylines together as long as you are on the same side (Empire or Republic). The same goes for Rise of the Hutt Cartel (@djnugent: So you can play that with your brother). Shadows of Revan started to leave the Multiplayer part. There you could do some stuff together but most main quests were already single player, so there are no more group phases that you can enter together. All of those were singleplayer (who needs multiplayer in a MMO anyway...). And at least as far as I played KOTFE, there was ONLY singleplayer and no way to interact with other players. Maybe that changes at some point so that you can at least interact between story missions without going back to the fleet, but as DP said, KOTFE is singleplayer.

No, KOTFE is single player. All you can do is spectate. Makes a lot of sense in an MMO, right?

I know that the question was specific to KOTFE, but in case anyone else stumbles upon the same question for the entire game:

It depends on where you are in the story. In the base game you can play the planet storylines together as long as you are on the same side (Empire or Republic). The same goes for Rise of the Hutt Cartel (@djnugent: So you can play that with your brother). Shadows of Revan started to leave the Multiplayer part. There you could do some stuff together but most main quests were already single player, so there are no more group phases that you can enter together. All of those were singleplayer (who needs multiplayer in a MMO anyway...). And at least as far as I played KOTFE, there was ONLY singleplayer and no way to interact with other players. Maybe that changes at some point so that you can at least interact between story missions without going back to the fleet, but as DP said, KOTFE is singleplayer.

Uh-huh.... sigh... good info, thanks!

They finally got me in a place where I'm getting excited about playing these stories in tandem... and now... I sort of can't. Haaaa

Oh well...sounds like they actually LISTENED to the fan-base - People (myself included) really wanted First-Person stories, but it would be nice to have a consistent play option.

Okay - I think I have just enough for an educated-ish opinion.

I have finished playing the Sith Warrior (Marauder) Class Story , Revan, and am about to start the last chapter (so far) of KotFE. Current Level = 65

I can honestly say that you get out of this game whatever you put into it - I was able to get lost in the heart of the story(ies) without a lot of problem, I just had to learn to be patient, and then LATER learn that all the really cool looking stuff comes after you've played a lot more...

The Sith Warrior storyline was pretty good (haven't played the others, thinking of trying a Jedi Knight for next, figure opposite side would be interesting).

I accidentally skipped "Rise of the Hutt Cartel", so I'll be circling back to that one eventually, probably in my next player creation play-through.

The KotFE story plot(s) thus far are much better thought out and written, both dialogue and plot were gripping, and a lot like what I was HOPING the Revan story was going to touch on. 

Side-note = outfits are a pain, aren't they? You can almost spend more time on that crap then actually playing the damn game. I had to create an outfit for KOTFE because a very small, yet VERY loud, part of me really wanted to look like I was wearing a uniform...

• Like 1

Oh how I remember the days where I would spend 4+ hours at the GTN looking for stuff to buy ;)

I call it "yesterday".

And Monday, and Sunday, Saturday.. Friday... ... ...

Also relevant:

giphy.gif

That's my Smuggler, Aajack in the middle. Just some randos dancing on the railing and I joined in.

Oh how I remember the days where I would spend 4+ hours at the GTN looking for stuff to buy ;)

I call it "yesterday".

And Monday, and Sunday, Saturday.. Friday... ... ...

Yes...spent a couple of hours the other night because "My current lightsaber-color options do not say the right thing about me as a recovering Sith Lord - what can you provide me in a..............................................."

:zoro:

So...where do all of the multi-color crystals actually come from? Are players making them, like via Crew Skills and such? 

I tried as hard as I could to level up my Crew Skills - Archaeology was the easiest, maxed that one out. For the other 2, I picked Artifice thinking I would get to create cool stuff, and Treasure Hunter as the other so I could get cool stuff to make cool stuff... But then gave up after reaching lvl 65 and realizing it was almost easier to just buy stuff... but I really REALLY want to make cool stuff , too, like robes, crystals and lightsabers and such. So - any helpful tips on quick and efficient Crew Skills leveling and which skills best compliment each other?

Looked through some forums, couldn't really find a clear guides. There were a ton on recommendations for the best Crew-Skill combo's, but not much else on where to go from there.

Bonus - If I create some really awesome stuff, I'd be happy to share it!