VarsityPuppet

Batman v. Superman or Civil War?

First impressions of Batman Vs Superman: "Hmm .. I like the back and forth between a different interpretation of Bruce and the Man-Of-Steel-Superman. Good to see how they're contrasting how Batman and Superman deal with Public Relations.. Then Luthor walks up.. !!!! Hahahahahaaha!! :D ......" I just can't take it seriously anymore. It's like they made an evil version of Jimmy from the animated series, and told everyone he was billionaire Lex Luthor. And instead of siccing Batman on Superman, he uses the invader known as Doomsday!?!! All subtlety lost. I had high hopes for the film, and that reveal along with that last scene of Batman, Superman, (and Wonder woman for some reason) dashed them for me..

As far as Civil War, the trailer revealed little. All I could see was how Winter Soldier ended and how it's essentially a continuation of that story. No villain, no word on who is on which side. Could be good, but I can't get much of an impression beyond that.

Marvel and now Disney have been doing quite a good job with the MCU even down to their casting choices. I feel sorry for whoever has to be the new Tony Stark and fill those shoes once they reboot the franchise. Downey, Hemsworth, Evans, and Jackson have done a great job portraying their respective characters.

The DCCU has yet to really reveal itself. The Nolan/Bale Dark Knight trilogy was great but still a separate entity from the DCCU. I enjoyed Man of Steel for its sheer brutality and I think they should continue that route to set itself apart from the MCU. 

Between the two though... I'm looking forward more to Civil War. From the looks of it, it'll be a "mini" Avengers movie. And it looks like it'll be better than the previous two Cap movies which is an accomplishment on its own as far as I am concerned because The First Avenger was terrible in my opinion, The Winter Soldier was leaps and bounds better and Civil War looks like it'll be better than The Winter Soldier.

But honestly, if I had to rank it. I'm looking forward to Apocalypse most, then Civil War, then Dawn of Justice. Deadpool, Suicide Squad, and any others I'll see but I'm not really anxious about.

I also want to point out that I don't think the dialogue that is shared during Wonder Woman's entrance is actually going to be in the movie, I'm pretty sure that is just filler almost like comedic relief for the trailer, audience, and fans.

• Like 1

That is pretty big assumption... especially considering the best superhero trilogy from the 2000's thus far was a DC franchise (Christopher Nolans batman series which IMO is alot better than any film marvel has chucked out lately)

Lets have a DC comics book burning, may all of DC die by fire.

HAIL STAN LEE!!!

No, i'm joking, but really, DC tends to only use their most popular superheroes for movies, but marvel has been using less popular ones as of late.

DC needs to stop using just Batman and Superman... really... that is 70% of their movies after all...

I wasn't a big fan of "Man of Steel" so my vote automatically goes over to "Civil War." I don't have any issue with Ben Affleck in the role - he's probably one of the few casting choices I have with the film.  When all of the fanboys ramble on about Affleck not being the right Batman, I just remember the last time I heard a lot of complaints about a Batman choice. That guy was Michael Keaton and he was a damn good Batman (and an interesting Bruce Wayne too, which is important.)  I just think that Zack Snyder is a hack and shouldn't be trusted with any more DC movies.

Superman shouldn't be grimdark, people!

BTW, why is this thread in the News section and not in the General Discussion thread? This isn't really News about the site , , , current events maybe, but not News.

• Like 2

HAIL STAN LEE!!!

No, i'm joking, but really, DC tends to only use their most popular superheroes for movies, but marvel has been using less popular ones as of late.

DC needs to stop using just Batman and Superman... really... that is 70% of their movies after all...

Speaking of which I would absolutely love to see a Green Arrow movie, with or without Stephen Amell (from Arrow).

I wasn't a big fan of "Man of Steel" so my vote automatically goes over to "Civil War." I don't have any issue with Ben Affleck in the role - he's probably one of the few casting choices I have with the film.  When all of the fanboys ramble on about Affleck not being the right Batman, I just remember the last time I heard a lot of complaints about a Batman choice. That guy was Michael Keaton and he was a damn good Batman (and an interesting Bruce Wayne too, which is important.)  I just think that Zack Snyder is a hack and shouldn't be trusted with any more DC movies.

Superman shouldn't be grimdark, people!

BTW, why is this thread in the News section and not in the General Discussion thread? This isn't really News about the site , , , current events maybe, but not News.

don't forget all of the moaning that went on when heath ledger was going to play the Joker, everyone thought it was a bad move and look at how that turned out 

They both look good but the avenger movies have all been great so my money is on civil war. However, Wonder Woman looked great in the recent trailer ^^

Now I will have to ask my nerdy comic book friends (mainly my older brother who actually read them) about the story in civil war because I do know that in the original comics the avengers split up into two groups, the avengers and the west coast avengers. Then some time after that I think the greatest comic book special started where all the marvel super hearoes gort together and wenrt into space and that is where they found the black space goo that became spider man's new costume. I forget what that series was called  but it was what I have been told the best marvel comic mini series at the time. I think there was an infinity stone involved... there is just so much they can do with these movies... it is too bad they completely messed up the spiderman movies... they were all pretty weak and don't get me started on the fantastic four movies. The last one didn't even make sense although I liked the actors better they just wiped out Marvels greratest Super Vilan doctor doom.

The movie I am really looking forward to far more than these two is Doctor Strange that will be out next year.

Edited by Kate The Bionic Uterus

They both look good but the avenger movies have all been great so my money is on civil war. However, Wonder Woman looked great in the recent trailer ^^

Now I will have to ask my nerdy comic book friends (mainly my older brother who actually read them) about the story in civil war because I do know that in the original comics the avengers split up into two groups, the avengers and the west coast avengers. Then some time after that I think the greatest comic book special started where all the marvel super hearoes gort together and wenrt into space and that is where they found the black space goo that became spider man's new costume. I forget what that series was called  but it was what I have been told the best marvel comic mini series at the time. I think there was an infinity stone involved... there is just so much they can do with these movies... it is too bad they completely messed up the spiderman movies... they were all pretty weak and don't get me started on the fantastic four movies. The last one didn't even make sense although I liked the actors better they just wiped out Marvels greratest Super Vilan doctor doom.

The movie I am really looking forward to far more than these two is Doctor Strange that will be out next year.

Doctor Strange is out next year! I thought it was in 2016... oh wait... it is 2015...  :P

No really, where has the time gone? I can't wait for doctor strange! But there isn't much longer to wait, so... i still am on the hype train. CHOO CHOO.

I got less excited after that latest trailer, though. I don't like what I've seen of this Luthor so far, and it's too early for Doomsday. Only thing he's good for is to either kill Superman, or be killed to push Supes into some sort of Justice Lord territory, like in JLU cartoons (which, by the way, are great and anyone making a superhero flick should be taking inspirations from them). Either way, they should have kept Doomsday for sometime after the Justice League movie.

Oddly enough I was just rewatching these on Netflix.  And the Justice Lords killed Doomsday in a JL episode, not JLU :P

I agree with a few others in here.  Slightly more interested in Civil War.  But one thing I think both are lacking are good supervillains.  Not sure about Eisenberg's Luthor yet, he looks more annoying than devious.  And zombie Zod as Doomsday seems boring (probably a mute special effects extravaganza at the end of the film).

Just by the name Civil War seems to be lacking villains.  It's fun to see the heroes fight each other sometimes, but it gets strained when it's a whole of movie of good guys fighting because they can't talk something out.  Maybe they'll do a good job with it though.

HAIL STAN LEE!!!

There's been a fair few minor villains in DC's Flash/Arrow, bloody King Shark for Pete sake haha.

DC does like to rinse Batman and Superman, but if youtube popularity is anything to go by, check this out: http://youtube-trends.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/batman-wins-youtube-our-top-10-most.html. Can kind of see why they repeat their conquests of $$$ making.

Speaking of which I would absolutely love to see a Green Arrow movie, with or without Stephen Amell (from Arrow).

I concur! I believe they're already making a Flash movie, without Grant Gustin if I'm not mistaken :/ I'm anxious to see how Legends of tomorrow will turn out, but the recent Flash/Arrow crossovers have been fun.

Doctor Strange is out next year! I thought it was in 2016... oh wait... it is 2015...  :P

No really, where has the time gone? I can't wait for doctor strange! But there isn't much longer to wait, so... i still am on the hype train. CHOO CHOO.

Doctor Strange will be interesting... I do enjoy Cumberbatch I hope he brings something new to the table  :Juggle:

Oddly enough I was just rewatching these on Netflix.  And the Justice Lords killed Doomsday in a JL episode, not JLU :P

I agree with a few others in here.  Slightly more interested in Civil War.  But one thing I think both are lacking are good supervillains.  Not sure about Eisenberg's Luthor yet, he looks more annoying than devious.  And zombie Zod as Doomsday seems boring (probably a mute special effects extravaganza at the end of the film).

Just by the name Civil War seems to be lacking villains.  It's fun to see the heroes fight each other sometimes, but it gets strained when it's a whole of movie of good guys fighting because they can't talk something out.  Maybe they'll do a good job with it though.

I think civil war is going to set up something bigger, the next few avengers movies seem to be heading towards a more darker Marvel universe, Im going to assume that something will happen close to the end of Civil war that will be mind boggling

They did Green Lantern few years ago :P

On a more serious note, you do realize they have bunch of superhero movies, including Justice Leauge, Wonder Woman, Flash and even Aquaman slated for next 5 years? They're just starting their cinematic universe, so obviously they get started with two most popular ones.

Also, Disney-Marvel doesn't even have rights to its most popular heroes :P Spidey's at Sony, X-men and F4 at Fox, and those were easily the most well known heroes of the Marvel universe before the start of MCu.

And the moment they got a deal to use Spider-Man, they pushed back few other movies for less popular heroes.

I'd love that. There were some rumors about casting Black Canary for JL movie recently, and if that's true then GA can't be far behind.

Also, I really like how Amell's been acting this season. Good to see him going in the direction of comic book Green Arrow instead of him pretending to be Nolan's Batman.

True! But that was an event that started the whole Cadmus arc, which was basically half of JLU :D

There's been a fair few minor villains in DC's Flash/Arrow, bloody King Shark for Pete sake haha.

I concur! I believe they're already making a Flash movie, without Grant Gustin if I'm not mistaken :/ I'm anxious to see how Legends of tomorrow will turn out, but the recent Flash/Arrow crossovers have been fun.

I heard they blew their whole budget for that 10 seconds cameo of King Shark lol. The Flash is great fun though. And the Batman/Superman reference in Legend's trailer was badass :D

I actually just saw the Batman v. Superman trailer again as a preview on the big screen.  And I noticed something that I hadn't before, that had me hugely disappointed.  It was right after the scene with Wonder Woman, and it shows Batman holding a gun.  Really guys???!  Maybe it's explained in the movie, but that seems like they didn't even care about the character.

I'm confused now, whether they're fighting mostly over Bucky, or it's more of the governmental control vs freedom thing. If it's mostly the latter, then it would probably work better if their roles were switched, and they had Cap going "by the book" and following a chain of command, like a good soldier would, with Iron Man going a more vigilante route.

I'm really curious how the movie is going to end. With BvS, we know they'll make up at the end to fight a bigger threat, but I don't see that happening in Civil War. Nice to have a comic book movie where I don't know what the ending will be.

Also, Ant-man on Hawkeye's arrow was awesome. I was waiting for Arrow to pull that one ever since they introduced the Atom.

They've already ruined BvS for me by revealing Wonder Woman and Doomsday stopping the fight.

Also hipster Lex is just not doing it for me.

• Like 1

They've already ruined BvS for me by revealing Wonder Woman and Doomsday stopping the fight.

No they ruined it by not having Doomsday done correctly (Origin Story and all the characters that were involved Death and Return of Superman)

Its rather annoying, I want to see batman v Superman, not batman, superman and wonder women vs doomsday and lex luthar... its going to be way too much stuff in one movie
Update Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:06 AM [EST]
well... it sucked :( If civil war is as bad as Superman VS batman, Its not even worth watching

well... it sucked :( If civil war is as bad as Superman VS batman, Its not even worth watching

Just saw it.

Civil War, I believe, is the clear winner here.

• Like 1

Saw Batman vs. Superman too, it was terrible... hopefully Civil War wont be this bad.

And funny to re-read comments about Ben Affleck being just fine... the movie would have been 1000% better if they cut Batman out. Seriously, what the hell have they done to him. I can understand not reaching the Dark Knight Trilogy level, but this isn't Batman, this is some class A-moron. "He's good now, but he can become bad, so I need to pre-emptively kill him"... BATMAN? Seriously? (not to mention the whole murdering lexcorp then still somehow blaming Superman. Wtf people?)

Way to ruin your own heroes.

Not to mention that end "fight"... too retarded for words.

EDIT: Why did I never see the trailer in post #1 till now. If they showed that in our cinema's rather than the current trailers (for Superman I also got to see #1 from Civil War rather than #2 posted here on the page 2) I probably never would have wanted to watch it... :/

I've heard A LOT of negativity around BvS over the weekend and expected a truly terrible movie, but to be honest I'm not sure why people hate it so much. I liked most of it just fine, but Luthor was too retarded. Seriously what the hell was his plan?

Re: "BvS vs Civil War" - well, if CW is on the same level as Winter Soldier then they win. Otherwise, it might be a tie honestly. We'll see.

The beginning was fine, but the editing was kinda confusing at times. It felt like they shot bunch of scenes and then put them together in a random order to be honest. Loved the way Bruce acted around people at Lex's party. Superman should have been more fun, or at least smiled a little. And he should have talked to someone. Seriously, every major problem in the movie could have been avoided if Superman just talked and explained himself. On camera, in the hearing, wherever.

OK, I'm gonna spoil pretty much the entire movie below, so be warned.

The movie would really benefit if they cut out Bruce's visions, they were confusing and didn't add to anything. Are they trying to set up Injustice storyline? And then Flashpoint-reboot it a year later? Because that's exactly what X-Men did. And when did Flash gain an ability to time travel into dreams?

Anyway, sometime around the time Lex kidnapped Martha and Lois everyone became super retarded (except Wonder Woman, she's awesome), but it was still fun to watch. It kinda started feeling like a darker Marvel movie. And by darker, I don't mean the tone, I mean it was literally dark, but hey that's Gotham. They even had some stupid one liners (the cape joke was good).

Did Batman seriously just stand on the roof for an hour hoping for Supes to show up and fight him? And it doesn't even matter Luthor has Superman's mom, she could be found in 10 seconds anyway. And the whole fight could have been over in 10 seconds. Just hover over Batman, tell him what's up, go save your mom. And the end of the fight was... wellllllllll I wish my mom's name was Martha.

But despite that, it was still fun to watch until Doomsday showed up. I'm not really sure what happened afterwards because I spent the entire fight trying to figure out what was Luthor's plan, because if he killed Supes, number of Kryptonians on Earth would still be the same... except we'd be left with one that can't talk and just wants to smash.

Good job killing Superman before the Justice League by the way. LOL.

I've heard so many complaints about Batman killing in this movie that I thought he would really be a psycho murderer, but honestly his "killings" weren't any worse than Batmobile segments of Arkham Knight so I don't know what the big deal is.

But yeah, it was fine. I just hope for an actual SUPERMAN movie sometime down the line. But not... not this threatening Superman, just something colorful and hopeful. Kinda like The Flash or Supergirl TV series. Hey, don't these two have a crossover tonight? Looking forward to that.

I've heard A LOT of negativity around BvS over the weekend and expected a truly terrible movie, but to be honest I'm not sure why people hate it so much. I liked most of it just fine, but Luthor was too retarded. Seriously what the hell was his plan?

We can't be friends anymore. This is it, offically the end of TSLRCM. Over BvS.

And Batman did murder an entire segment of LexCorp. With a lot of guns, with bullets. And despite the fact that he KNEW Lex Luthor was evil and trying to frame Superman... he... still went along with his plan anyway?

You know, retard-bat-man going after the 0.01% chance of going evil (since, oh so evil!) and just leaving the 100% chance of evil guy alone since... well... he's a freaking retard in this movie.

Hey, I don't even disagree. As I said, everyone went full retard about 1/3rd of the way into the movie, but Superman vs Batman fun enough that I didn't really care.

Who did he murder without using a car or a plane? Are you talking about guys who guarded Superman's mom at the end? Because he did not kill them. Even when he stabbed some guy with a knife, he stabbed him in a shoulder. The others were just beat up really badly. One shot he fired was to blow up the guy with the fire thrower, but then they went all Marvel and diffused the tension with the cape joke.

That Batman is perfection anyway compared to what happened to Superman.

Also: "SUICIDE SQUAD Is Apparently Undergoing Reshoots To Inject More "Fun" Into the Movie" http://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/suicide-squad-is-apparently-undergoing-reshoots-to-inject-more-fun-a132865 hahaha hilarious if true.

I meant when he went full-ballstic stealing the Kryptonite.

It's just an under-minute shot, but the floor is riddled with bullets and you can see the many dead short before.

Yeah, I assumed those were the bullets fired AT Batman, not by him. I don't recall dead bodies or people on the floor but I'd argue they were unconscious unless stated otherwise.

By the way I thought it was hilarious how they had an action scene of Batman chasing that truck with Kryptonite on it, but then he stole it off-camera.