Jorak Uln

Kotor 2 Movie Style Overhaul

Recommended Posts

In this Topic i want to share my current progress on a project to make the visual appearance of the Planets in Kotor 2 more appealing. While learning to create textures in my previous Mods like  the Complete Overhaul Series for K1, this mod is the end- product of that process over the years.

The overall goal of this mod is to bring more of the movie flair to the game by emulating the panel designs of the Prequel, Sequel Trilogy and (perhaps in the future) Battlefront II. 

I know this is a very ambitious project so i cant tell if im able to pull it off in time, but while its already covering large parts of the game, i try to improve it, by adding some textures here and there from time to time.

WIP Screenshots:
K2_00023_1.thumb.jpg.a7dbe048fb7b03c6cce786371617fdc2.jpgK2_00024_1.thumb.jpg.2c2dcdbb0415ee256e8ee7e9ac03ea00.jpgK2_00025_1.thumb.jpg.2ed774641a0a2a5e291629bb0c6b82f7.jpgK2_00026_1.thumb.jpg.052b5d3a2e409a9345b925e8129a9420.jpgK2_00027_1.thumb.jpg.e9c3a763bcd626a8bf82f0dcef70c8ee.jpgK2_00028_1.thumb.jpg.76110160af9d15b69ecdfe6efeb8e2dc.jpgK2_00029_1.thumb.jpg.f195e2be1a81266ed2646baf397b741e.jpgK2_00030_1.thumb.jpg.8b3ba54a020978adb4eaa211c7311560.jpgK2_00031_1.thumb.jpg.a53e4398786cc1869a9f3fc451fe39d5.jpgK2_00032_1.thumb.jpg.8e98636f7442f5cf66e6034ea7053c07.jpgK2_00033_1.thumb.jpg.a958c8c450676304bc45edd2d406578b.jpgK2_00034_1.thumb.jpg.a223a0dadc0f33db6ee0c4062f5bee0a.jpgK2_00000_1.thumb.jpg.0511fba57588e6313bed4046be85f971.jpg

  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Squall Lionhart said:

Dude these textures are awesome! I kinda want a desktop background of your Peragus monitor (Hopefully SH doesn't object)

Not sure what I’d object to as more options liven the community.  If @Jorak Uln wants me to make a new loading screen for the large Peragus monitor, I’d need the new textures and also to know - like you pointed out @Squall Lionhart- if Jorak is doing both sides of the monitor.

  • Light Side Points 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible!  It definitely needs kotor 2. Stunning textures.  It is extremely important that new textures do not break the atmosphere of the game.  And you, in my opinion, succeeded) Beautiful textures!  We are waiting for their release.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, Sith Holocron said:

Not sure what I’d object to as more options liven the community.  If @Jorak Uln wants me to make a new loading screen for the large Peragus monitor, I’d need the new textures and also to know - like you pointed out @Squall Lionhart- if Jorak is doing both sides of the monitor.

Glad you guys like it!

To clear things up, these shots are not final, of course the Peragus screen will get both sides retextured, also the Cidatel & Peragus, Ravager still need a lot of polishing. Hopefully i will have the time to do this. 

@Sith Holocron: Of course you can use my mod to create your Loading screens.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jorak Uln, it might be better if you make the loading screens with your new textures as only you know which ones will be altered.  As my wife and I are still in Hawaii on my 10th anniversary, I can't do much ATM. However, I can point out what I did and what I used when we get home. PM me Saturday or beyond, if interested. 

One other thing: I am looking forward to what sort of animations you make for the Peragus medical monitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're my favorite texture artist/designer for the Kotor games. These all look so stunning! You really should consider overhauling Nar Shaddaa. We have so many good texture mods for the other locations already (minus M4-78) and while Nar Shaddaa does have some texture mods, in my opinion, they're all awful. I've been wanting your take on Nar Shaddaa ever since I first saw some of your animated textures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, Sith Holocron said:

@Jorak Uln, it might be better if you make the loading screens with your new textures as only you know which ones will be altered.  As my wife and I are still in Hawaii on my 10th anniversary, I can't do much ATM. However, I can point out what I did and what I used when we get home. PM me Saturday or beyond, if interested. 

One other thing: I am looking forward to what sort of animations you make for the Peragus medical monitors.

sry, havent seen that earlier -  happy belated anniversary !!

About the screens give me some time, there are still many changes to make, so it might be best if you/we try out something near/after release.  You still have those SWTOR loading templates?Dont delete them if possible, they might be useful later.

Currently i draw some inspiration from BF2, amazing textures! Hopefully, i can mimic some e.g. for the med monitors as well.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:36 PM, Mephiles550 said:

You're my favorite texture artist/designer for the Kotor games. These all look so stunning! You really should consider overhauling Nar Shaddaa. We have so many good texture mods for the other locations already (minus M4-78) and while Nar Shaddaa does have some texture mods, in my opinion, they're all awful. I've been wanting your take on Nar Shaddaa ever since I first saw some of your animated textures.

Nar Shaddaa is already done more or less - in ME Omega style however. I'll need to do some adjustments to get a bit more the vibe from the movies though.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 5:25 PM, Jorak Uln said:

Nar Shaddaa is already done more or less - in ME Omega style however. I'll need to do some adjustments to get a bit more the vibe from the movies though.

 

That reminds me, are you still going to continue the ME Omega style? Or are you combining that style with the movie style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2018 at 2:50 PM, Squall Lionhart said:

That reminds me, are you still going to continue the ME Omega style? Or are you combining that style with the movie style?

I think i will combine it with the movie style - a whole makeover would take wayy to much time.

----------------------

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the works on Telos i tried a different approach to  the Czerka Sign while being  inspired by the awesome London conference Signs of Deus Ex:

Vanilla:

czOld.PNG.0b06025735cccd5d4fde6bbcf9f0d6cb.PNG

new - shiny appearance/reflections ingame:

cz.thumb.png.b604b812f1d48d8cd5e0fcdc31162c88.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Jorak Uln said:

During the works on Telos i tried a different approach to  the Czerka Sign while being  inspired by the awesome London conference Signs of Deus Ex:

Vanilla:

czOld.PNG.0b06025735cccd5d4fde6bbcf9f0d6cb.PNG

new - shiny appearance/reflections ingame:

cz.thumb.png.b604b812f1d48d8cd5e0fcdc31162c88.png

Wow that is absolutely amazing! I could actually see it working in-game!

Though perhaps take a look at CZ-198? I had thoughts of using all Czerka map assets / parts and placeables from both games to make a CZ-196 or something.

Thor110

Some amazing work going on in this thread, definitely amongst a lot of things I am looking at including in an overall either list or compilation / mod or install for K2 and or K1 or both.

@JorakUln

That is an awesome design for the Peragus Monitor, but is it just me or does it not fit the original feel? Perhaps it could be re-used somewhere along the lines or included with my mod with your permission, if not I will make a list of links for the best mods to go alongside my planned mod.

Edited by Thor110
Quote and question added.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thor110 said:
  Hide contents

Wow that is absolutely amazing! I could actually see it working in-game!

Though perhaps take a look at CZ-198? I had thoughts of using all Czerka map assets / parts and placeables from both games to make a CZ-196 or something.

Thor110

Some amazing work going on in this thread, definitely amongst a lot of things I am looking at including in an overall either list or compilation / mod or install for K2 and or K1 or both.

Well thank you!

About Cz 198 - new areas are always  a welcome addition, though time is a big factor. Since a long time i want to finish my K2 texture overhaul and its still some way to go.

However, if you want to make Cz 198, dont worry about retexturing; porting the modules & making the questlines working is the more important part. They always can be retextured afterwards.

------------------------

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thor110 said:
  Hide contents

Wow that is absolutely amazing! I could actually see it working in-game!

Though perhaps take a look at CZ-198? I had thoughts of using all Czerka map assets / parts and placeables from both games to make a CZ-196 or something.

Thor110

Some amazing work going on in this thread, definitely amongst a lot of things I am looking at including in an overall either list or compilation / mod or install for K2 and or K1 or both.

Well thank you!

About Cz 198 - new areas are always  a welcome addition, though time is a big factor. Since a long time i want to finish my K2 texture overhaul and its still some way to go.

However, if you want to make Cz 198, dont worry about retexturing; porting the modules & making the questlines working is the more important part. They always can be retextured afterwards.

------------------------

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jorak Uln said:

Well thank you!

About Cz 198 - new areas are always  a welcome addition, though time is a big factor. Since a long time i want to finish my K2 texture overhaul and its still some way to go.

However, if you want to make Cz 198, dont worry about retexturing; porting the modules & making the questlines working is the more important part. They always can be retextured afterwards.

------------------------

 

This was definitely my initial thought and just a thought for the moment and can easily use the textures they have for the moment there are also a lot of other people working on texture overhauls of the game and I plan to ask everybody that does if they would like to be included with my mods in the relevant areas as well as I will be hand picking the best textures and maybe asking people to vote for the textures that fit the game and look the best / stick to the original feel, but I did already think about making some areas from all of the Czerka Assets from both games and a Sith Base from all the bases in the game as well, I was planning to cut it up into the pieces and also make some new pieces / label them as they need to be as a sort of set of pieces to build maps with and both use them as a base for my plans and a release for modders to use.

Thor110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some more WIP screenshots -  what do you guys think about this Telos version comparing int to the first one?

Telos V1:

 1363750086_telosV1.thumb.jpg.0df8a0c061f0926e7d1e13e6105562dc.jpg

Telos V2:

K2_00004_1.thumb.jpg.c1edf963b80ce1a0be8067670a6d206b.jpgK2_00007_1.thumb.jpg.0b2b6b6b40425ad5a83a72117efc0f4c.jpgK2_00008_1.thumb.jpg.41235ccb7e4a9aa22e4a02a6e32748f4.jpg

K2_00004_2.thumb.jpg.a8694cf3747d1d3dedadfc9f5298b77b.jpg

Onderon:

K2_00006_1.thumb.jpg.5080eb0e7202b52fff37ecced40f00cf.jpgK2_00005_1.thumb.jpg.91f7ebe5dd00cd6278064fff6fdb12dc.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Onderon looks amazing, but I feel like the Czerka office does not look right, the sign looks good, but the walls don't look how I remember them, maybe I am wrong but other than that the Telos hallways look amazing!

I cannot wait for my chance to use every texture update out there for my playthrough of both games.

Thor110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Onderon looks amazing, but I feel like the Czerka office does not look right, the sign looks good, but the walls don't look how I remember them, maybe I am wrong but other than that the Telos hallways look amazing!

I cannot wait for my chance to use every texture update out there for my playthrough of both games.

Thor110

The walls are strongly inspired by Deus Ex, marble tiles with shiny reflections. The thing is, at Original K2 Citadel  basically everything is grey. No contrast at all. And - like some other locations e.g. Dantooine Academy sublevel - they are textured in a very lazy way:

VanillaCz.thumb.jpg.27b098eb7fd1de79369c1906faa49ee4.jpg

Look at the trim TEL_tr04 and the floor, just awful. Todays games have much more variety and details on their textures as well. I feel a different look from vanilla here and there is needed 

to get it a bit easier on the  eye.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand, just not sure if I would include them myself, like I mentioned I plan to hand pick all the texture mods I would like to include or link to and not sure I would want that, but perhaps when I see it in game I will change my mind ^^ I will check it out when I have the chance but it won't be until after my playthrough of K1 and K2 because I want to see them in their original position to get a feel for everything again, the story, how it originally looked and think about integrating the story of my mod so it fits with the rest of the game.

Thor110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jorak Uln said:

 

cz.thumb.png.b604b812f1d48d8cd5e0fcdc31162c88.png

Seeing as the Czerka logo is used in multiple places, I have the following suggestion.  Leave the text but have the background picture shift from desert (representing Tatooine) your already have, to a forest picture (representing Kashyyyk), Coruscant (as mentioned in dialogue in the Tatooine Czerka office), and Telos Citadel Station.  That would cover the Czerka appearances/references in both original games.  As Czerka is a galaxy wide corporation, it seems logical that they would promote that in their marketing materials such as your sign.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sith Holocron said:

Seeing as the Czerka logo is used in multiple places, I have the following suggestion.  Leave the text but have the background picture shift from desert (representing Tatooine) your already have, to a forest picture (representing Kashyyyk), Coruscant (as mentioned in dialogue in the Tatooine Czerka office), and Telos Citadel Station.  That would cover the Czerka appearances/references in both original games.  As Czerka is a galaxy wide corporation, it seems logical that they would promote that in their marketing materials such as your sign.

Great idea! Havent thought about that.

No adequate Picture to represent Telos though; but  here  you go:

test.thumb.gif.a3becd5255bec37cc74a91889545d497.gif

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty close to what I had in mind!  

I hope this next note isn't too fussy but aren't the "r" and "Ke" in Czerka" a little close together?  (I'm not even sure what the second line refers to so I'll just concentrate on the letter spacing in the first line.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.