Jorak Uln

Kotor 2 Movie Style Overhaul

2 hours ago, Jorak Uln said:

Btw, what do you guys think of making the Polar Academy with real iced walls?

I'm not sure that makes sense. The Polar Academy is a former irrigation system - water had to be able to flow from there to the rest of the planet. It no longer serves the purpose of an irrigation system, but I imagine the interior would still be warm enough to keep ice from forming.

But, if you insist then you should ice the shuttle bay. It's practically outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmanoJyaku said:

I'm not sure that makes sense. The Polar Academy is a former irrigation system - water had to be able to flow from there to the rest of the planet. It no longer serves the purpose of an irrigation system, but I imagine the interior would still be warm enough to keep ice from forming.

But, if you insist then you should ice the shuttle bay. It's practically outside.

But the water needs  to be transported i suppose through pipes etc with at least some sort of cold-insulation. 

I mean, you are at Polar region  in a huge cave at probably minus 50-60 degrees, without any visible heating devices and you tell me there shouldnt be any sign of ice? Come on.  

Btw. dont know if i remember it correctly - but didnt Atton made a comment on how cold it is?

In Jedi FO  your not even near the polar region - and the cave (similar in size) looks like this:

a55.thumb.jpg.8c7bb5348d2cabde9a1e93fc94f26a20.jpg

ice.thumb.jpg.383c85bb64f65bcded05c08bf0bf0f55.jpg

EDIT: 

checked the dialogue again, where Atton confirms about the icy temperatures inside the academy: 

0.thumb.jpg.bab8f25c25b67a4e9a49f70e94ad8ea3.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.c617ab2757330f84ea8f437f1978ea31.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.8998fa0b85c8299106a6cfd33630f66c.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jorak Uln said:

checked the dialogue again, where Atton confirms about the icy temperatures inside the academy:

I don't consider "What? This ice hole?" as confirmation. It could be a figure of speech referring to the Polar Plateau. He doesn't say he's cold...

TBH, I thought you were going to use the (non-canon) dialogue between Atton and the Handmaiden:

Oh, yeah? Guess you saw a lot of the world while you were freezing your cargo hold off in the ice academy, didn't you, sister?

Atton has a flair for the dramatic, I don't read much into anything he says. Especially insults.

But, it's your call. You sound like you really want to ice the place. Just don't put any tauntauns or wampas in there!

10 hours ago, Jorak Uln said:

Btw, what do you guys think of making the Polar Academy with real iced walls?

To enhance the feel like traveling through different climatic zones of Telos?

K2_00119_1.thumb.png.197e6d6792f39708033d1c7e6122362f.png

I really love the ice climate look of The Telos Jedi Academy.  What do you mean by Ice Walls? Are they featured in these images?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverLooksBack said:

I really love the ice climate look of The Telos Jedi Academy.  What do you mean by Ice Walls? Are they featured in these images?

Yeah, they're a bit difficult to spot, you see them slightly at both ends of the door (floor is the same tex) & they shimmer only slightly when moving the cam. Best if i send you the files to see them directly.

3 hours ago, AmanoJyaku said:

I don't consider "What? This ice hole?" as confirmation. It could be a figure of speech referring to the Polar Plateau. He doesn't say he's cold...

TBH, I thought you were going to use the (non-canon) dialogue between Atton and the Handmaiden:

Atton has a flair for the dramatic, I don't read much into anything he says. Especially insults.

But, it's your call. You sound like you really want to ice the place. Just don't put any tauntauns or wampas in there!

Read carefully. Atton wonders, why and where he's locked up - and Kreia answers that its a Jedi-Training ground. (That clarifies also the dialogue refers to the Cell-location, not the surface outside). 

Now, the decisive moment comes next - Attons reaction. 

Usually, when youre at a common Place with common temperatures and nothing else out of the ordinary, you will react normally as well.  But Atton reacts shocked as if he couldnt believe that someone could train anyone in that ice hole under such harsh climatic conditions. 

And since its an immediate reaction (with no reaction time - Kotor shows ulterior motives otherwise) its also clear that its an honest reaction. 

To paraphrase Kreia, this discussion is pointless. Not because I don't agree with you (I still don't), but because it doesn't matter.

If you want to redesign the place, then go ahead. Why does the dialog, or our opinions, matter?

21 minutes ago, AmanoJyaku said:

To paraphrase Kreia, this discussion is pointless. Not because I don't agree with you (I still don't), but because it doesn't matter.

If you want to redesign the place, then go ahead. Why does the dialog, or our opinions, matter?

To quote Kriea,  : "Also in private we'll be mercifully free from the stupidity of imbeciles and fools." 

😅 Was fun just to add that, when we are having this discussion on whether or not things matter. You can read as much into any line of dialogue as you want. Insults do have a measure of truth in them, whether they are completely true or not is beside the point. I think that Atton's insult has a measure of truth.. it's probably super cold in there.. to show how cold Atris is... haha just another insult to that character.. or it's just cold on the surface.. Wonder if those robes the handmaidens wear are made of cotton?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NeverLooksBack said:

To quote Kriea,  : "Also in private we'll be mercifully free from the stupidity of imbeciles and fools." 

😅 Was fun just to add that, when we are having this discussion on whether or not things matter. You can read as much into any line of dialogue as you want. Insults do have a measure of truth in them, whether they are completely true or not is beside the point. I think that Atton's insult has a measure of truth.. it's probably super cold in there.. to show how cold Atris is... haha just another insult to that character.. or it's just cold on the surface.. Wonder if those robes the handmaidens wear are made of cotton?

Hehe. Didnt recall that phrase from Kreia. Guess the last playthrough was just too long ago.

On the other hand it was more a reaction statement from Atton and not an insult in particular; but who am i to say, when we can just critizise & then pretend it doesnt matter? 

Edit: Those robes should be made out of cotton, but Atris is a Jedi (Grand)master, right?

2 minutes ago, Jorak Uln said:

Hehe. Didnt recall that phrase from Kreia. Guess the last playthrough was just too long ago.

On the other hand it was more a reaction statement from Atton and not an insult in particular; but who am i to say, when we can just critizise & then pretend it doesnt matter? 

Edit: Those robes should be made out of cotton, but Atris is a Jedi (Grand)master, right?

Can't really call her a Master of anything... to quote Obi-Wan, only a master of evil....

3 minutes ago, NeverLooksBack said:

Can't really call her a Master of anything... to quote Obi-Wan, only a master of evil....

Probably something in between- but a master of the force nevertheless..

Guest Sam Fisher

I think you've absolutely nailed the look and feel of Star Wars, yes I don't care for the flag or your replacement of the fish, but by and large your work's phenomenal. The inside of the Telos "Academy" although it oozes a look and feel all it's own- reminds me a lot of the interior of Bespin in the area Luke fights Vader, the lights on that pillar off to the right of Atris' room in particular. 

6 hours ago, Sam Fisher said:

I think you've absolutely nailed the look and feel of Star Wars, yes I don't care for the flag or your replacement of the fish, but by and large your work's phenomenal. The inside of the Telos "Academy" although it oozes a look and feel all it's own- reminds me a lot of the interior of Bespin in the area Luke fights Vader, the lights on that pillar off to the right of Atris' room in particular. 

Thanks. That's what I meant about variety actually, to have a wide range of climatic zones & architectonic variety at your disposal - to actually feel the location you're in through the environment itself and not just the game's storytelling. And that's also one of the elements that makes the movies fascinating in their own way. 

I can see it actually looking better than usual. I feel the environment should affect some of the walls and other devices used, such as the Jedi Academy or some of the Mandalorian Caches on Dxun. (Hell, even the Ravager should have it.) Very nice work as always my friend! 

31 minutes ago, Squall Lionhart said:

I can see it actually looking better than usual. I feel the environment should affect some of the walls and other devices used, such as the Jedi Academy or some of the Mandalorian Caches on Dxun. (Hell, even the Ravager should have it.) Very nice work as always my friend! 

And theres all too clear evidence of that environment impact too when you take a look at the textures in Kotor Tool. The technology simply wasnt ready back then to display it.    

Btw, are you still working with Vue? Sensational piece of tech indeed! And easy to use - this time tried sth. different for the Outside:

K2_00118_1.thumb.png.1d1dfa4daff719089d5da1edca134144.png

K2_00119_1.thumb.png.572a13c53c34c9acc041bbf76aa4c8f8.png

K2_00120_1.thumb.png.6155b7ec184599d18f7fbd01cdf5c96c.png

K2_00121_1.thumb.png.4157130448fbf19e9b1c9b20233aec7d.png

K2_00122_1.thumb.png.099883206224efba301a0feec875871d.png 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jorak Uln said:

Btw, are you still working with Vue? Sensational piece of tech indeed! And easy to use - this time tried sth. different for the Outside:

In my spare time I always try ;) I really enjoy it, I just wish that the skyboxes were legit boxes instead of some geometric nightmare.

Guest Sam Fisher

WOW!!! That plateau and skybox looks incredible!!! 

I can't wait to be blown away by your rendition of Dxun. 

On 4/12/2020 at 7:41 PM, Zhaboka said:

GORGEOUS. And yes, ice walls, please!

Those ice walls will be included, definitely.

------------

You guys certainly remember that ugly, flat  Onderon Backdrop here:

1076912703_swkotor22020-04-1400-51-40.thumb.jpg.94d8d6cfacb2a499eef7a11040bb860d.jpg

218714638_swkotor22020-04-1400-51-50.thumb.jpg.179b4d15cbe511bed0825ceb6426945e.jpg

As you immediately see, its 2D which really breaks the immersion here, and the only way to make it 3D would be to place a real 3D model which probably has the Skybox getting in the way.

The solution? 

Goes really quick with VUE, just rendered the scene in 8K and downscaled it to 2K to avoid artifacts when making the background transparent (ignore the Sky for now):

K2_00134_1.thumb.png.2ec9c43975ae0bb1b729e5c1a9352c4b.png

K2_00135_1.thumb.png.6b0883f6f3089140c1434bc655b82c66.png

K2_00136_1.thumb.png.266cd3fe301964a54e9b5c1694931128.png

K2_00137_1.thumb.png.f4f39eafc9f754e23a72b14f99a6112f.png

K2_00138_1.thumb.png.fed91e0db47ba68c40cb6115c886bf72.pngK2_00138_1.thumb.png.fed91e0db47ba68c40cb6115c886bf72.png

For purists, here a red variant:

1386604664_swkotor22020-04-1401-57-11.thumb.png.c9b8e43100322305ffe3e7c780765c49.png

122644589_swkotor22020-04-1401-57-20.thumb.png.88166857e1b012a4b83ed372a3e433e6.png122644589_swkotor22020-04-1401-57-20.thumb.png.88166857e1b012a4b83ed372a3e433e6.png

• Like 3

I personally don't like the pink-silver color choice. It feels kind of unsuitable and I believe Onderon should look more like in SWTOR and TCW, with that distinct beige-blue-gold scheme.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, superSzym said:

I personally don't like the pink-silver color choice. It feels kind of unsuitable and I believe Onderon should look more like in SWTOR and TCW, with that distinct beige-blue-gold scheme.

if you take a look at the pictures above the pink variant, they are already done in the  beige-blue-gold color scheme; the pink pillars are  optional - as a reminder of the original.  I tried different variants for those, and while dark beige fits the scene better, its probably not enough to create a contrast to those dominant pastell colors.

However, since i'll make the sky in pastell red/blue as well,  the question remains, what would be the best color for the  pillars to setup this contrast and also fit to those blue roofs? 

Very nice. Can always get behind a sun-peeking-out-from-behind-clouds! And Onderon looks like Space Jerusalem, which is awesome haha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zhaboka said:

Very nice. Can always get behind a sun-peeking-out-from-behind-clouds! And Onderon looks like Space Jerusalem, which is awesome haha.

Thanks! Still wish i could get those Onderon clouds more  in this direction however:

latest?cb=20180418053128

the work on K1 is going well so far,  i did numerous improvements to the different planets & also implemented a new type of reflections:

Complex texture based noise reflections.

As every texture has its very complex set of layers, shapes, this technique only highlights certain areas of the texture like only certain crystals on a marble tex or the blank spots on a galvanised metal plate.

This makes a much more natural, realistic look possible for a wide array of materials.

Apart from this a lot of detail work has been done, like for example the metal application at this wooden Dantooine door:

The special thing about it is, that its using cubemap for shine and additionally fakes a Self-illum effect of that tiny lights within:

35015695_swkotor2020-07-1820-01-06.thumb.png.c51d63f046c39a8bb7f1b008e9d95777.png

Manaan also got a total makeover:

M1.thumb.png.31c4a62b08f23c09efe0bee0a9aee76b.pngm2.thumb.png.967fba54b83730e074fda63f7d121582.pngm4.thumb.png.3a62b9b498da9fbde812862f14eb7d4b.pngm5.thumb.png.098650c1e035413c760ee3778c143cf0.pngm6.thumb.png.9e4806c4ea09127d6339aaf2aa5f169f.pngm7.thumb.png.a04ecb7a97d7879186f6a0f73cf3ca94.png

Sneak peak at Dantooine:dannew1.thumb.png.f3c7b16d812a067fb0a825f0adfe2e63.png

Kashyyyk:

kas1.thumb.png.950d10a8b9d54c0c9925ab439aff433e.png

• Like 3
  • Light Side Points 1

I like the sneak peek we see of the Ebon Hawk.