alinadem

Reshade for Kotor / TSL

So I had to try this out! :D

But I don't get really nice results, on my first try, I have this really strong "noise" effect and the contrast is to hard to my taste.

Noise_Contrast.jpg

I then tried one of the downloads from this thread; Constars reshade settings. But then my whole screen got blurred out :laughing:

I'm an absolute noob, so how can I alter the looks, I've tried to get my bearings in the sweetfx and reshad files, but I don't really have an idea, what I can change for the best.

blurr.jpg

How would I reduce the noise effect and have less harsh contrast?

• Like 2

Depending on the version you're using, the configuration file will either be in the SweetFX folder or in the same place as your .exe game file. In older versions than 3, the configuration file is named SweetFX_Settings.INI and can be edited with notepad.

Near the top inside the configuration file, there will be booleans for every setting with helpful text to explain what each does.

If I had to guess, the effects causing you grief are the HDR and Gaussian, but you can switch each one off, save the INI file, and Alt-Tab back to your game file to be certain.

Version 3 allows you to hit Shift F2 within your game to tweak the effects, but I haven't tested it with TSL, yet.

Depending on the version you're using, the configuration file will either be in the SweetFX folder or in the same place as your .exe game file. In older versions than 3, the configuration file is named SweetFX_Settings.INI and can be edited with notepad.

Near the top inside the configuration file, there will be booleans for every setting with helpful text to explain what each does.

If I had to guess, the effects causing you grief are the HDR and Gaussian, but you can switch each one off, save the INI file, and Alt-Tab back to your game file to be certain.

Version 3 allows you to hit Shift F2 within your game to tweak the effects, but I haven't tested it with TSL, yet.

Mmm; looks like I have a very old version... V1.6? :laughing:

I did manage to start tweaking it a bit. But the effects are still waaaaay to strong. Nothing like what you guys have been showing  the thread.

But I guess, I better hunt down the latest FX and Reshade first :)

Mmm; looks like I have a very old version... V1.6? :laughing:

I did manage to start tweaking it a bit. But the effects are still waaaaay to strong. Nothing like what you guys have been showing the thread.

But I guess, I better hunt down the latest FX and Reshade first :)

I was probably using that old of a version, yeah.. :P Honestly, I used an old Mass Effect 2 preset and tweaked the settings. Also, our conversation unjumbled a latent memory of testing TSL with the most recent version (The in-game version) of Reshade, so iirc, it does work.

I remember specifically a very cool looking Depth of Field effect I tested that looks fantastic, but in cinematics I can't control what it focuses on, so it's not quite viable for full-time gameplay.

However, for your build, my go-to effects are LiftGammaGain, Contrast, and LumaSharpen; so you don't even have to even use the effects other people rely on.

LiftGammaGain is a wonderful tool for color rebalances, plus you can darken shadows in a similar fashion to using the Levels effect albeit with less of its added contrast. Contrast when used with LumaSharpen allows you to add fake detail even to Vanilla textures by sharpening fine detail and contrasting flat colors to create false depth.

I've barely scratched the surface of what the newest version is capable of. For Deus Ex 1, I found many options for Lens Flare, which while overused in most games, can be used to create a legitimately realistic imitation of sunglare with a full choice on which colors are emitted.

EDIT

I just found something amazing during my experiments on how to desaturate and then pick which colors you want for a game, so I could make the sky have a brilliant blue and the ground a burnt brown all without retexturing anything!

I might consider making a new thread dedicated to my own discoveries in using Reshade, or I could update my WIP thread with this new info. (But I'm not sure if it would clutter it..)

Perhaps an older version of reshade is what I need. The newest one completely crashes my game. I had to reinstall K1 just to make it stop crashing.

Perhaps an older version of reshade is what I need. The newest one completely crashes my game. I had to reinstall K1 just to make it stop crashing.

That sucks. Did the version you used run an installer? Also, in order for it to work, it's best to download from the official site, "reshade.me". I'm assuming you did that?

I have installed a newer version, but... Now, when I run Kotor, my graphic cards makes this high pitched sound :o

No idea if this due to some of the options switched on by SweetFx. But it's really annoying, plus I don't think that it is very healthy for my PC.

Anyone had this before?

Wha??? That's highly disturbing. Reshade does preload with the newest version, so it's using your GPU for that time. Does your GPU make that noise for any other processes (like graphic-intensive games)?

EDIT

Perhaps I can send you my old version of files and see if it's less GPU intensive.

The worst mine did was display a "loading x of x effects" message while the game would hang for about five seconds. (When using the new versions)

That sucks. Did the version you used run an installer? Also, in order for it to work, it's best to download from the official site, "reshade.me". I'm assuming you did that?

Yes to both.

I have installed a newer version, but... Now, when I run Kotor, my graphic cards makes this high pitched sound :o

No idea if this due to some of the options switched on by SweetFx. But it's really annoying, plus I don't think that it is very healthy for my PC.

Anyone had this before?

That's called "coil whining" and is not necessary caused by an overloaded GPU. AFAIK it happens if the GPU works on or close to its resonancy frequency, thus causing an audible resonance. No idea how to get rid of it though.

blurr.jpg

Those have to be some of the best graphics I've seen.

I remember the one time I used ReShade all of the HUD elements were over-saturated and I got sick of it. I forget which version/permutation that was however.

I kicked it all out today :D

Just couldn't find a good look that I like. I tried out other versions, but there are like too many FX/ Reshade version floating on the intrawebz.

I keep on having too much of the grainy effect. And I can't find it back in the settings... anymore... cause I've been switching out different versions and setups. :D

I kicked it all out today :D

Just couldn't find a good look that I like. I tried out other versions, but there are like too many FX/ Reshade version floating on the intrawebz.

I keep on having too much of the grainy effect. And I can't find it back in the settings... anymore... cause I've been switching out different versions and setups. :D

It's okay, ReShade is for plebs, Quanon.

• Like 2

It's okay, ReShade is for plebs, Quanon.

What's that supposed to mean, VP?! ;)

Seriously, though; what's causing a grainy effect for you, Quanon? Each effect can be turned off 100% by the 1 or 0 setting at the first part of the SweetFX Settings and Reshade can be toggled on or off by pressing Scroll Lock while in-game. It isn't grainy with Reshade toggled off, right?

What's that supposed to mean, VP?! ;)

Seriously, though; what's causing a grainy effect for you, Quanon? Each effect can be turned off 100% by the 1 or 0 setting at the first part of the SweetFX Settings and Reshade can be toggled on or off by pressing Scroll Lock while in-game. It isn't grainy with Reshade toggled off, right?

The grain effect wasn't in the settings file anymore, couldn't find it; but it was still there :laughing:

I've no idea how that could work... I just tried out to many different versions, I would guess, and things got mixed up.

Hmm.. If you used multiple versions at the same time in the game folder, it would definitely cause problems.

I'm really considering PMing the author of Reshade, as I personally know very little about how it actually works, so it's hard to troubleshoot to help you.

Also, I can't find my recent screenshots on how DOF looks, so I'm going to need to retest my build and hopefully get proper screens this time. If I can get enough, I plan to possibly open a thread just for Reshade experiments and results. :)

I'm playing KotoR for the first time and it really bugged me how washed out and ugly this game is at 4k resolution. Great work, thanks heaps! 

Can you provide your preset, Malkior? It looks great. 

Here you go. I lost my original Preset, but I've recently remade it specifically for Reshade 3.0  If you like, I can create a few different versions for the older iterations (Without the in-game menu) as well.

Recolor with Bloom trimmed version 5-29.rar

It has bloom and lumasharpen which can be disabled via the menu (Shift-F2) while in game. 

If you want a more in-depth tutorial on how to mix and match effects, I can provide that as well.

:)

Here you go. I lost my original Preset, but I've recently remade it specifically for Reshade 3.0  If you like, I can create a few different versions for the older iterations (Without the in-game menu) as well.

attachicon.gifRecolor with Bloom trimmed version 5-29.rar

It has bloom and lumasharpen which can be disabled via the menu (Shift-F2) while in game. 

If you want a more in-depth tutorial on how to mix and match effects, I can provide that as well.

:D

I tried this it works thanks.

Reshade isn't working for me.

I downloaded reshade from here, after downloading I selected kotor (the gog version), then I selected opengl. After downloading all of the default addons I complete the installer. I run kotor, and I'm met with no reshade. I press "shift F2", but still nothing. Can I get some help please.

Here's what my kotor folder looks like after installing Reshade. 

I downloaded reshade from here, after downloading I selected kotor (the gog version), then I selected opengl. After downloading all of the default addons I complete the installer. I run kotor, and I'm met with no reshade. I press "shift F2", but still nothing. Can I get some help please.

Which Operating System are you using? I can see that you have Patchw32.dll, so I  assume you're using a 32 bit OS?

• Like 1

Have you tried updating your drivers? that's what worked with me.

Which Operating System are you using? I can see that you have Patchw32.dll, so I  assume you're using a 32 bit OS?

Thanks for the response. I'm using windows 10 pro, 64 bit. One more thing I forgot to mention, I only clicked opengl during the installation. Here are my system spcs.

@darthaaron My drivers are updated, I've managed to get Reshade to work with other games, but not kotor for whatever reason.