Feel free to be disgusted:

Well, I'm not disgusted. Not nearly as pessimistic as some of you; come what may I say. 

No going to rule out something getting released eventually, if only a demo. But I'll wager whatever you like it comes out as a straight fps, with lightsabers restricted either to pre rendered cut scenes or QuickTime event duels.

Feel free to be disgusted:

I like what I'm seeing from KOTOR: Generic Space Shooter Edition.

Except KOTOR is not a generic Space Shooter.

And I die a little inside whenever I hear the term pre-alpha.

Literally all they have done is made some levels with the generic prefab assets. There is nothing in the game that resembles KOTOR. All the graphics have nothing to do with the ability of Apeiron "developers", and everything to do with the Unreal Rendering engine.

I could start my own KOTOR II remake called KOTOR II: Nostos in Unity and get about as far in a week.

• Like 2

I like what I'm seeing from KOTOR: Generic Space Shooter Edition.

Except KOTOR is not a generic Space Shooter.

And I die a little inside whenever I hear the term pre-alpha.

Literally all they have done is made some levels with the generic prefab assets. There is nothing in the game that resembles KOTOR. All the graphics have nothing to do with the ability of Apeiron "developers", and everything to do with the Unreal Rendering engine.

I could start my own KOTOR II remake called KOTOR II: Nostos in Unity and get about as far in a week.

Nonono. You've got to call it Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III: Shadows: Darkening: Revan: Awakening: Hordes of the True Sith.

... "The Chosen One Must Choose".

Nonono. You've got to call it Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III: Shadows: Darkening: Revan: Awakening: Hordes of the True Sith.

... "The Chosen One Must Choose".

Let's do it. When do you have some free time? I want to get a pre-alpha out as soon as possible.

Let's do it. When do you have some free time? I want to get a pre-alpha out as soon as possible.

I think I have half an hour free sometime in the coming month. That should be long enough, right? :P

Well, this at least explains why it isn't being targeted for infringement...

The whole being classified as a mod thing? But we know that's complete BS

They're not adding game content, they're in effect, creating an entirely different executable file.

• Like 1

They're not adding game content, they're in effect, creating an entirely different executable file.

Yeah, them saying that you'd need the original game to play this is BS as well, seeing as how they aren't using any of the files of the original game.

How does this thing constitute as a mod?

it doesn't

I was referring to its (lack of) similarity to the original game... can't claim a rip off if it barely resembles the original...

Apparently my little jab was a little too subtle...

• Like 1

I was referring to its (lack of) similarity to the original game... can't claim a rip off if it barely resembles the original...

Apparently my little jab was a little too subtle...

Oh I gotcha. 

Yeah, they are basically making a new game and just calling it KOTOR

Eh, at least they bothered to use the level layout and Aurekbesh.. That said, I wonder if this has any connection to that Jedi Knight remake which oddly enough was also in Unreal...

Also, they might not get a copyright strike, but they'll definitely get a trademark strike for using the original level names. :/

I have to admit that the Upper City looks quite cool... But if it weren't for The Aurebesh and Huttese letters I'd never have guessed it's supposed to be Star Wars. They even managed to get Tatooine wrong.

Not that I expected anything else after their first trailer but I'm still puzzled about how non Star Wars it all looks...

And the level design also seems pretty bad. It's just supposed to look good (and it mostly doesn't) but there don't seem to be any game play related design choices, so it'll probably work pretty bad if this ever reaches a playable state.

Also, they might not get a copyright strike, but they'll definitely get a trademark strike for using the original level names. :/

And for using the Star Wars name?

And for using the Star Wars name?

Using the Star Wars name alone shouldn't be a problem if the thing in question isn't making a profit off it it, right?

Using the Star Wars name alone shouldn't be a problem if the thing in question isn't making a profit off it it, right?

What about accepting donations under the guise that this is a remake of a Star Wars game? Seems a bit unethical, no?

Wrong. It's still infringement. 

• Like 1

But tolerated infringement in most cases (like fanfilms).

But accepting donations makes it more likely to be shut down I guess.

"Leave any suggestions down below..."

How about changing the name? It's the worst name ever...

Also, I always like to call it "Pre-Cancellation" and not "Pre-Alpha"

This project is going to crash and burn....

• Like 1

What about accepting donations under the guise that this is a remake of a Star Wars game? Seems a bit unethical, no?

I suppose it is a bit unethical, yes. Legal, IDK.

So no one could make a fan game using the Star Wars name? What if someone made a fan game for Mario or Sonic  the Hegehog(which there are plenty of)? Would that all fall fall under infringement?

So no one could make a fan game using the Star Wars name? What if someone made a fan game for Mario or Sonic the Hegehog(which there are plenty of)? Would that all fall fall under infringement?

Well, considering Nintendo has taken down several Fan-Made Pokemon games, including remaking them in newer engines, I would say it is quite likely it would be considered infringement..

No idea how Disney would handle it, though.

To be completely fair, levels don't look terrible. If I was looking for a 3D area designer and some guy showed me that "Taris Upper Level" or "Anchorhead" (there's a reason for those quotation marks ;)), I would consider hiring him.

With that said, that's all it is. Unreal has a very good level editing tool and they haven't actually shown any gameplay, just some levels. Which brings us back to what I believe was my first post in this thread, stating that they won't even start programming half the features KOTOR had.

I wish we'd thought of that ;)

Nah, no way we would have finished a whole game back then. Nowadays it would be possible, though I'd still be very hesitant to starting a low-budget RPG. Mostly because I know how much work it actually involves, and realize that it would take even more time than I could possibly anticipate.

I can literally get more gameplay done in a single weekend, with some placeholder models. in an hour because all they have is Unreal's default walking animation.

• Like 1