Jorak Uln

WANTED: SWTOR sabers from 2013- now

For a not yet revealed project im doing the saber colors for SLM 2.0 from Kaidon Jorn. Unlike the original mod now it contains  subtle new colors for every lightsaber. 

That makes 200+ colors in total which is insane.

But since its part of a bigger mod i want every LS to be unique.

For that, I would need your help: 

This is my reference so far:

http://dulfy.net/2012/05/07/endgame-color-crystals-post-1-2-and-how-to-obtain-them/

The above guide is from 2012 so i'd like to ask especially the SWTOR players here but also any other one of you: 

If you see a lightsaber blade that is not included in this guide, could you do me a favour and post a pic of the blade color here?

Thanks very much!

In return, I'll post my progress of course.

Why not just ask Crixler if you could use his blade colors?

No, no. Crixler's pack only contains 9 colors based on vanilla textures. 

What I want to do is to do give every one of the ~200 sabers a SWTOR variant of each color.

Like seen here with different green lightsabers:

post-11673-0-87577600-1470992778_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-60572500-1470992783_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-48407100-1470995683_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-24933600-1470992785_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-74025700-1470992786_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-18170700-1470993861_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-96859700-1470992781_thumb.jpg

As you see, it's all about the subtle differences, and my guide are the Dulfy blades posted in Post 1. 

But i'd need more SWTOR pics to make 200 blade textures, so I'm thankful if you could provide me other blade pics (2013-16) than listed above (already searched the net...)

Edit: 

Nice to have you back, SH! Are you already in Alaska?

ahaha! This sounds so much like it would end up being a tyranny of choice for anyone indecisive like myself. D: 

ahaha this sounds so much like it would end up being a tyranny of choice for anyone indecisive like myself D:

If our mod project works out as intended, you won't always choose the lightsaber with the coolest visuals anymore...

So, hex editing is done to get every saber a different blade color.
But I have plans beyond that:

I'd like to give them different saber sounds (like activate, slash, humming etc)
How exactly can I do that?

And further: out of curiosity, would it be possible to implement a system to make LS upgrades like Emitters/lenses change the appearance of the hilts similar to SWTOR Weapon tuning? How much effort would that be?

I don't think either of that is possible.

The first one might be, but you'd need to make a new baseitem for each lightsaber that you want to have different sounds, by editing baseitems.2da and I don't know how well that would work with the lightsaber upgrade system.

The second one is definitely impossible, since the model only depends on the lightsaber item file and not on the upgrades and which .uti is used is determined only by the lightsaber crystal and also independent of the upgrades.

The first one might be, but you'd need to make a new baseitem for each lightsaber that you want to have different sounds, by editing baseitems.2da and I don't know how well that would work with the lightsaber upgrade system.

VP would need to confirm this, but I believe he tried making new Baseitems.2da rows, but that the game no longer did the blaster bolt delfection on the new rows...

A "bug" occured?

When I tried out the hex edited custom named blade textures in the mdl, the blades turned black:

post-11673-0-64263900-1471416283_thumb.jpg

That only occurred on custom named ones like w_lsabreblue20 etc.

Interestingly the vanilla ones like w_lsabregren01 looked fine.

Any ideas?

Maybe the alpha channel is missing from the texture?

Or you did something wrong in the hex editing. Make sure that every instance of the original texture name has been replaced with the new one (although I don't know why this would cause a missing alpha channel).

Likely the culprit is a missing .txi file containing:

blending additive

decal 1

With the txi the  texture is displayed at least, but why is it working without the txi for the vanilla textures?

I ask because the "blending additive" changes the brightness and hides all subtle differences.

Is there any way to get custom named blades working without txi (=just like the vanilla textures)?

Subtract the blending additive in that case and try it with only the "decal 1".

But the original sabers have a TXI with blending additive and the decal 1.

with the txi the  texture is displayed at least, but why is it working without txi for the vanilla textures?

They apparently grab the txi data from the tpc with the same name, even if they take the texture itself from the Override. Or something as bizarre as that. I noticed the same thing when I was doing a module based on GOTO's yacht.

Thanks folks for the suggestions! It worked.

Beside that, I've mentioned different saber soundsets for the lightsabers to make them more unique.

Kex had the idea that I should assign different baseitems.da...
Is that possible and if it isn't, does anyone have an idea how I can assign these sounds?

Will your mod affect the discussion where Atton asks you what color your old lightsaber was? Also, will it affect what color Atris' lightsaber is when she displays it to you?

Will your mod affect the discussion where Atton asks you what color your old lightsaber was? Also, will it affect what color Atris' lightsaber is when she displays it to you?

I think the color mentioned in the Atton dialogue and shown by Atris only affects the standard (=Vanilla)

sabers right?

If that's correct then my mod shouldn't affect it, since its built around Kaidon Jorn's old SLM 2.0 mod.

Thanks folks for the suggestions! It worked.

Beside that, I've mentioned different saber soundsets for the lightsabers to make them more unique.

Kex had the idea that I should assign different baseitems.da...

Is that possible and if it isn't, does anyone have an idea how I can assign these sounds?

Yes, it is possible, but none of those items will be able to deflect blaster bolts, at least animation-wise. I would need to double-check to confirm whether the bonuses still apply.

From what I recall, that is the only downside to adding new baseitems.2da entries

Yes, it is possible, but none of those items will be able to deflect blaster bolts, at least animation-wise. I would need to double-check to confirm whether the bonuses still apply.

From what I recall, that is the only downside to adding new baseitems.2da entries

Why is it not possible to deflect blaster bolts?

Is there perhaps another route to get around that by assigning a hex edited custom named sound file?

Why is it not possible to deflect blaster bolts?

That's a question for Aspyr or Obsidian, but I would conjecture that it's because the game is hard coded to include deflecting animations for those specific lightsaber rows from baseitems.2da

Is there perhaps another route to get around that by assigning a hex edited custom named sound file?

No. The sounds are configured through baseitems.2da. Maybe there's a way to configure the lightsaber hum through the model, but as of today, no one has figured out how to do this.

No. The sounds are configured through baseitems.2da. Maybe there's a way to configure the lightsaber hum through the model, but as of today, no one has figured out how to do this.

Actually, I found a way to make a weapon use new custom sounds.

In baseitems.2da you set 'on', 'off' and 'hum' sounds. You will also need 'weaponmattype' field - it points to a row in weaponsounds.2da, where all other sounds (like swing, clash, etc) are stored.

You may check my sound mod for details. With this mod all 3 saber types (single, shot, dual) use custom sets of sounds.

Actually, I found a way to make a weapon use new custom sounds.

In baseitems.2da you set 'on', 'off' and 'hum' sounds. You will also need 'weaponmattype' field - it points to a row in weaponsounds.2da, where all other sounds (like swing, clash, etc) are stored.

You may check my sound mod for details. With this mod all 3 saber types (single, shot, dual) use custom sets of sounds.

Thats exceptional news!

Well I'll try that out.

In the meantime, I want to present you with ...  the worst sabers in the galaxy:

Seriously, for my mod I've done all kinds of variations of the "classic" SWTOR blades already, but since "black" colored ones are impossible to get look right in Kotor, I have to search for alternatives when re-texturing 200+ blades.

So as seen in the video, there are all the questionable ones of my pack included, every one of them will contain a full set of 9 colors

Since I want to make every SLM saber unique, I would have to include these ones as well.

So I'd like to hear what you guys think of them. Especially what about the blue one?