VarsityPuppet

Star Wars Episode VII Discussion (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Are these actually your favorite scenes or is this just another thing where TFA is the exact same as ANH?

Just wanted to check.

Whaaaat? His mishaps in the Droid Factory in Episode II were hilarious though!!!

Hans death scene was great. Although I do not think it gave Han the farewell he deserved (depending on how you look at it), you see Kylo Ren cold heartedly kill possibly the only person who still believed he could be saved and I thought Chewies reaction to his death was great aswell... 

My other fav scene was probably the last scene where we see Luke (and I honestly do not think he was happy to see Rey again... I am also wondering what they have in store for chewie, he seemed like the most changed character from the OT in ep 7 IMO, even the way he interacts with Leia seemed kinda of)

I actually thought the death scene brought Han's character full circle. We see him start out in episode IV without really a care in the world, and he's now transformed into this figure who's ready to sacrifice himself so that he may have a chance of bringing his son back. That scene alone made Han's evolution as a character beautiful. It's also the anti-thesis of the Darth Vader-Luke on Bespin scene where Vader is trying to take Luke with him to the dark side, tempting him, where Ren mentions he is tempted by the Light side and this is his big choice.

The last scene is up for debate, we still don't know if Luke actually knows her, I think it might be nice if they absolutely know nothing about each other what-so-ever, but we'll find out 2 years

I actually thought the death scene brought Han's character full circle. We see him start out in episode IV without really a care in the world, and he's now transformed into this figure who's ready to sacrifice himself so that he may have a chance of bringing his son back. That scene alone made Han's evolution as a character beautiful. It's also the anti-thesis of the Darth Vader-Luke on Bespin scene where Vader is trying to take Luke with him to the dark side, tempting him, where Ren mentions he is tempted by the Light side and this is his big choice.

On this we agree, I thought the death of Han was a masterpiece - made the movie much more emotionally-gripping and I was glad that it did not disappoint in this regard.

I never said I agreed with the other superweapons. Infact I think I already stated the suncrusher and stuff were beyond stupid. And I still hold that point.

Also people still go on "You just hate superweapon lala" like it's a fact but didn't I state it being fine in KOTOR? Due to being plotrelated?

The only thing I really hate about the SW is it's "LOL SUPERWEAPON TIME" implementation in TFA. It's like the Ravager in TSL. You're in the plot, expect it to continue to Malachor, but nope, you suddenly have this jarring segment inbetween which is just... bad (so, we suddenly know it's the Ravager while never being mentioned ever before anyone?). Of course feel free to ignore this a THIRD time, because hey, apparently I didn't answer this twice before already and people just conviently forget and then go all holy and say I don't respond to them rather than actually reading my replies.

To finish it off, let me state again I was looking forward to seeing a NEW (NEW)... NEW Star Wars movie. Yes, finding a ANH-rehash is going to dissapoint me then. Who are YOU to scrutinize me for that, huh?

And funny thing was, I *was* enjoying it... up until that point they pulled a superweapon out of their ass and the plot lost focus. Kinda like people get confused post-Dantooine in TSL and don't like it that much after that and it tainted their view on TSL as a whole. Funny how that works doesn't it?

• Like 2

yes, lets get back to discussing all of the EU content JJ ripped of to make his rehash of ANH

Now this is just petty. It's fine if you don't like it but don't bash the others who do. Dickmove to be honest.

Speaking of ripping of:

Two siblings of which one goes dark and evil

Fatherless birth

Powerful object that helps trump all opposition 

I now of course expect you to be angry of the fact that nothing is original in Star Wars and they all ripped off the Bible

/s

TBQH Episode II i've kind of wanted to forget, thus it's mostly remembered in bouts of alcohol, but I do remember laughing at that segmet. I

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tags. That scene was NOT good.

BB-8 though, that's how you do droid humor in a film.

Hans death scene was great. Although I do not think it gave Han the farewell he deserved (depending on how you look at it), you see Kylo Ren cold heartedly kill possibly the only person who still believed he could be saved and I thought Chewies reaction to his death was great aswell...

I agree. It was a good death, and a very dramatic scene, but I also can't help but think there's something missing. Like maybe he shouldn't have fallen off the bridge into that weird fog... or.. idk

My other fav scene was probably the last scene where we see Luke (and I honestly do not think he was happy to see Rey again... I am also wondering what they have in store for Chewie, he seemed like the most changed character from the OT in ep 7 IMO, even the way he interacts with Leia seemed kinda of)

Yeah, I've been hearing things that Chewie is mad at Leia for some reason, though maybe it's just a fan theory. I'd have to watch again to confirm. Certainly an interesting idea, I hope there's some sort of beef between them.

-snip-

We get it, you don't like the superweapon plot. Sorry that it was enough to ruin your experience, but please stop. We're not discussing it anymore because it has come to the point of people about to throw knives at each other. So unless you have something else to talk about other than what YOU think is a ginormous issue, I'd ask you please refrain from doing so because we've had enough of going off at each other. If you want to complain about it, please make another topic to do so.

Can't believe I have to say this to an admin

Yeah, I've been hearing things that Chewie is mad at Leia for some reason, though maybe it's just a fan theory. I'd have to watch again to confirm. Certainly an interesting idea, I hope there's some sort of beef between them.

Hey man, it's the bro-code. When your bro's girl ditched your bro, take the side of the bro

We get it, you don't like the superweapon plot. Sorry that it was enough to ruin your experience, but please stop. We're not discussing it anymore because it has come to the point of people about to throw knives at each other. So unless you have something else to talk about other than what YOU think is a ginormous issue, I'd ask you please refrain from doing so because we've had enough of going off at each other. If you want to complain about it, please make another topic to do so.

Can't believe I have to say this to an admin

Hey man, it's the bro-code. When your bro's girl ditched your bro, take the side of the bro

I think his bro is the one who ditched his girl 

I think his bro is the one who ditched his girl 

Bros_db8261_1958806.gif

Edited by Doctor Evil
  • Like 1

90% of the EU was a stinking pile of feces, so yay for it being gone!

Anyway, as Leonard said nothing in Star Wars is truly orginial, besides maybe art style. I did find TFA to have relied too heavily on nostalgia and OT throwbacks, but that didn't make it a terrible movie. Just like KOTOR borrowing very heavily from the saga doesn't make it a terrible game, it just makes TSL a better one.

Figures if I wrote down for the 4th(!) time why I hate the superweapon in TFA, Dr Evil just goes, again I might add, "you just hate superweapons, brah" rather than actually reading it.

*sigh*

• Like 1

I *was* enjoying it... up until that point they pulled a superweapon out of their ass and the plot lost focus. Kinda like people get confused post-Dantooine in TSL and don't like it that much after that and it tainted their view on TSL as a whole. Funny how that works doesn't it?

Except the Starkiller base was mentioned very early in the movie. Hux mentions something about a weapon being ready. Can't remember which scene though, I'd have to watch it for a third time. But it is mentioned a few times before it is actually shown. It's hard to catch though because Hux is hardly the most interesting character and whenever he spoke I just sort of replaced it with "blah blah First Order, blah blah, New Republic"

If you're weary of super weapons, that's fine, but I guess I wouldn't say they pulled it out of their asses in the third act. Is it a bit abrupt? Maybe. Is the presence of a super weapon established though? Yes.

I would say in terms of plot though, destroying the Starkiller base was not the main focus: saving Rey was. The Resistance flying around in their X-wings trying to blow up a thing happened mostly in the background while Finn, Rey, Han and Chewie were doing other things, and the focus remained on them. The Resistance probably only got less than a minute of screentime at a time (I'm talking when attacking the Starkiller base).

Anyways....

Just watched it for the second time and noticed a few things.

1) I don't think there's a thing with Chewie and Leia. They hug the first time they see each other, and later when Chewie supposedly walks away, it looks more like he is following Finn, as they take him to a med bay or something.

2) Originally, I thought Rey acquiring Anakin/Luke's light saber and suddenly gaining wicked lightsaber skills was not great. After second viewing, she isn't really fighting Kylo Ren all that well, until she gets her "Force Nirvana" moment and lands a few skilled blows on him. This part is settled for me now.

3) I noticed this the first time, but Carrie Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd was one of The Resistance officers. Fun stuff.

3) I noticed this the first time, but Carrie Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd was one of The Resistance officers. Fun stuff.

In the TV series she stars in, Scream Queens she wears her hair like Leia in A New Hope, maybe her way of telling people she was in the movie before it released.

Also, yeah, I liked how they didn't do a really epic skilled fight scene, I thought from the movie it was pretty well done that Finn and Rey both were amauters at lightsaber dueling. 

Figures if I wrote down for the 4th(!) time why I hate the superweapon in TFA, Dr Evil just goes, again I might add, "you just hate superweapons, brah" rather than actually reading it.

*sigh*

I read your post, it was basically the same thing you've been saying over and over, I snipped it because it was a bit much to put in the quote. You keep saying how I didn't read your post yet the ironic thing is you never read any of my points in my previous posts and just continued on the same sad tirade without bothering to address what I said. For somebody who's supposed to be setting an example to others, you're not doing a very good job. I'm trying to pull away from the discussion that got extremely heated, but you're basically stuck in it and continuing to add personal attacks against me.

Like I said, I get you didn't like it, but for crying out loud if you're going to complain, please set up another topic. The majority of us would like to talk about something else other than something that had over 5 pages of people gutting after each other

Except the Starkiller base was mentioned very early in the movie. Hux mentions something about a weapon being ready. Can't remember which scene though, I'd have to watch it for a third time. But it is mentioned a few times before it is actually shown. It's hard to catch though because Hux is hardly the most interesting character and whenever he spoke I just sort of replaced it with "blah blah First Order, blah blah, New Republic"

If you're weary of super weapons, that's fine, but I guess I wouldn't say they pulled it out of their asses in the third act. Is it a bit abrupt? Maybe. Is the presence of a super weapon established though? Yes.

I would say in terms of plot though, destroying the Starkiller base was not the main focus: saving Rey was. The Resistance flying around in their X-wings trying to blow up a thing happened mostly in the background while Finn, Rey, Han and Chewie were doing other things, and the focus remained on them. The Resistance probably only got less than a minute of screentime at a time (I'm talking when attacking the Starkiller base).

I'd like to point out that this movie doesn't do the majority of its storytelling in exposition but rather in visuals, and from the visuals I got the story was great. I managed to figure out a lot of stuff in the movie just fine, and this post is pretty damn accurate right here

2) Originally, I thought Rey acquiring Anakin/Luke's light saber and suddenly gaining wicked lightsaber skills was not great. After second viewing, she isn't really fighting Kylo Ren all that well, until she gets her "Force Nirvana" moment and lands a few skilled blows on him. This part is settled for me now.

To be fair, the title of the movie is "The Force Awakens", and it's said the force has a will of it's own, so perhaps she let her instincts take over and the "force" guided her. I think the answers to this will come in the next movie, I don't think the writers would have left it just like this.

In the TV series she stars in, Scream Queens she wears her hair like Leia in A New Hope, maybe her way of telling people she was in the movie before it released.

Ah yeah, I quite enjoyed Scream Queens. In fact, I've become quite a fan of Billie Lourd and her Princess Leia antics. It'd be nice to see more of her in Star Wars for sure.

Billie Lourd as Lt. Connix (left) Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa (right)

billie-lourd-star-wars-pic.jpg?w=720&cdn

Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa (left) Billie Lourd as Sadie Swensen aka Chanel #3 (right)

CVwyM_vU8AAjV9S.jpg

Also, yeah, I liked how they didn't do a really epic skilled fight scene, I thought from the movie it was pretty well done that Finn and Rey both were amauters at lightsaber dueling.

It looked more epic originally because of the presence of lightsabers. :P Actually, thinking about it more, it would have been a bit disappointing if they made the lightsaber fighting too much on the "newbs w/lightsabers" side.

To be fair, the title of the movie is "The Force Awakens", and it's said the force has a will of it's own, so perhaps she let her instincts take over and the "force" guided her. I think the answers to this will come in the next movie, I don't think the writers would have left it just like this.

LOL you and your logic :P "The Force Awakens", who would've thought? :P

LOL you and your logic :P "The Force Awakens", who would've thought? :P

Well hey, we didn't catch that this guy was the real PHANTOM MENACE until too late ;)

giphy.gif

Holy. Crap.

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but the planet that Luke Skywalker is on at the end of the movie may be Rakata Prime.
It's not that big of a stretch, and it seems to have been debunked for now... 

But, check out this segment from the wiki page on Rakata Prime

The world was introduced into canon through a map of the galaxy created for Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which was revealed in Empire Magazine.[5] Through his official Twitter account, the Lucasfilm Story Group's Pablo Hidalgo, author of The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary, confirmed the map's canon status.[6]

Here's the map from The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary

star-wars-galaxy-map.jpg

• Rakata Prime is on the right hand side, in the Unknown Regions
• Other notable inclusions are: Onderon, Moraband(Korriban)

Next, look at this entry on

The lightsaber was crudely assembled based on an ancient design dating back thousands of years to the Great Scourge of Malachor, and thus featured seldom-seen crossguard blades.

• Like 1

Hey guys...Luke Skywalker was lost during the entire Force Awakens...but reappears at the end of the film. I expect to see Luke at least at the middle of the movie :sofa:

The locations might be canon but that doesn't mean the events are. Just because they're reusing the locations doesn't mean they're going to beholden themselves to the same timeline that was established.

wheres Manaan (It is canon as Manaan has been named in TCW)? I also want to know what the 'scourge of Malachor' is? Could it be the mass generator used to destroy Kreias Academy? I'd like to think Rakata prime is the planet he is on, although Id like to know why the first ever Jedi Academy would be on Rakata? Itd add to the plot of finding that dark side energy in the unknown regions (that sounds similar to the same energy they used to fuel the star forge) and Snoke (A new theory I have seen is that he could be an ancient rakatan that is pretty knowledgeable)

The locations might be canon but that doesn't mean the events are. Just because they're reusing the locations doesn't mean they're going to beholden themselves to the same timeline that was established.

Way to be a buzz kill :P

wheres Manaan (It is canon as Manaan has been named in TCW)?

I mean, I'm sure that's an abridged map, out of necessity and convenience. Certainly they can't fit all of the established canon planets on there and I'm sure more planets will be added as more backstory is established. It's possible too that some planets are not noteworthy as they're no longer inhabited? I admittedly don't know much about The Clone Wars in the first place.

I also want to know what the 'scourge of Malachor' is? Could it be the mass generator used to destroy Kreias Academy?

Hard to say. Could be a completely new event not chronicled, could be an homage to The Battle of Malachor V, or it could be a "rebranding" of The Battle of Malachor V.

A "Scourge" definitely would suitably describe The Battle of Malachor V.

I'd like to think Rakata prime is the planet he is on, although Id like to know why the first ever Jedi Academy would be on Rakata?

In that Reddit thread, other people noted Ossus and Tython as possibilities too. The inclusion of Rakata Prime in that map seemed rather suspect though as it previously hadn't been referenced in any other canon post-EU cleanse. Onderon and Dantooine have apparently been referenced in The Clone Wars. Either way, it's a nice nod to us KOTOR fans, as we continue to cling to canon :P

Itd add to the plot of finding that dark side energy in the unknown regions (that sounds similar to the same energy they used to fuel the star forge) and Snoke (A new theory I have seen is that he could be an ancient rakatan that is pretty knowledgeable)

That would be pretty cool if they tied this new plot to Knights of the Old Republic. It seems improbable at this point but we can still hope.

I'm not sure of Snoke being an ancient Rakatan, but anything is possible I suppose. It seems more likely that he is some form of Darth Plagueis (a some other theories have pointed out).

• Like 1

Way to be a buzz kill :P

I mean, I'm sure that's an abridged map, out of necessity and convenience. Certainly they can't fit all of the established canon planets on there and I'm sure more planets will be added as more backstory is established. It's possible too that some planets are not noteworthy as they're no longer inhabited? I admittedly don't know much about The Clone Wars in the first place.

Hard to say. Could be a completely new event not chronicled, could be an homage to The Battle of Malachor V, or it could be a "rebranding" of The Battle of Malachor V.

A "Scourge" definitely would suitably describe The Battle of Malachor V.

In that Reddit thread, other people noted Ossus and Tython as possibilities too. The inclusion of Rakata Prime in that map seemed rather suspect though as it previously hadn't been referenced in any other canon post-EU cleanse. Onderon and Dantooine have apparently been referenced in The Clone Wars. Either way, it's a nice nod to us KOTOR fans, as we continue to cling to canon :P

That would be pretty cool if they tied this new plot to Knights of the Old Republic. It seems improbable at this point but we can still hope.

I'm not sure of Snoke being an ancient Rakatan, but anything is possible I suppose. It seems more likely that he is some form of Darth Plagueis (a some other theories have pointed out).

When I heard that Rakata Prime/Lehon was put into the new Canon Galaxy Map I lost my bananas. That, plus in The Clone Wars when Malachor's been mentioned, and there's an episode that briefly shows a KOTOR Era Mandalorian Helmet. And I remember Revan WAS going to be in a TCW Episode as a spirit, but the idea got cut by Lucas. To me, I like to think that KOTOR 1 & 2 are still in the actual Canon. :thumbup:

When I heard that Rakata Prime/Lehon was put into the new Canon Galaxy Map I lost my bananas. That, plus in The Clone Wars when Malachor's been mentioned, and there's an episode that briefly shows a KOTOR Era Mandalorian Helmet. And I remember Revan WAS going to be in a TCW Episode as a spirit, but the idea got cut by Lucas. To me, I like to think that KOTOR 1 & 2 are still in the actual Canon. :thumbup:

Filoni has always wanted to make Kotor canon, but Lucas did not for some reason. Lucas scrapped him out of 2-3 different arks