Xuul

Why it's not okay to upload someone else's mods

Wait, what did I miss?

Has he just been harassing you, Hassat through PMs? Pretty immature...

I did watch one of his Kotor Let's Plays. They're honestly not bad, but I guess not really that good either.

He still has his Workshop reposts of Pretty Atris and Sith Assassins with Lightsabers available, so whatever the ban was, it didn't achieve much.

Well, Shem already said he didn't mind, so there isn't much you can do about that.

Someone's been trying at the nexus, too.

So, I've encountered it as well:

I found this by accident when browsing the internet:

[snip]

Take a close look at the first Endar Spire pic on the right and the Manaan Kolto Tank - and then the title of the mod!

The author is using my textures in her Graphic Modification 5.00!

But that's not all:

[snip]

Can you believe this?

It also seems that the author isn't even aware that this is bad, since the Manaan Overhaul is linked to Deadly Stream in the comments.

But no sign stating that its not her textures.

Since the whole site is Russian, and I'm not able to register at all, is there someone who can speak Russian?

Would be important that s.b. could talk for me with the Administrator there to

1) either remove the files

2) or better create an account with my Name and move the files there.

I sadly can't help you and from what I've heard about Skyrim mods Russian sites aren't exactly known for being kind to modders rights :/ I hope that's just an unwarranted generalization and not true in your case.

It's also a real shame that this modder is stealing your work as her other textures look really good and I feel like she could make a great texture pack on her own (assuming those other textures aren't stolen, but I don't think they are, as there are skybox textures in there and I know of no skybox pack they could be stolen from^^). :(

I sadly can't help you and from what I've heard about Skyrim mods Russian sites aren't exactly known for being kind to modders rights :/ I hope that's just an unwarranted generalization and not true in your case.

It's also a real shame that this modder is stealing your work as her other textures look really good and I feel like she could make a great texture pack on her own (assuming those other textures aren't stolen, but I don't think they are, as there are skybox textures in there and I know of no skybox pack they could be stolen from^^). :(

In contrast to the mushroom guy - and judging on her comments - i feel that she might just found out on  the new animations & stuff and wanted to spice up her own work with it as well - and didnt even consider that this is stealing...which i find particulary shocking.

In contrast to the mushroom guy - and judging on her comments - i feel that she might just want to close the gap that way - since she has no experience on animations & cubemap based ones and her textures lack a bit of crispness - and didnt even consider that this is stealing...which i find particulary shocking.

If that's really the case, then there's a chance that you could convince her to stop using your textures. I really hope this works out better than it did with the mushroom guy...

and didnt even consider that this is stealing...which i find particulary shocking.

You shouldn't be surprised, it's fairly common and in no way limited to Russian or other non-English sites. It's not something unique to modding either. Many people consider anything on the internet to be fair game to do with what they will, with no strings attached. And as evidenced in the thread, there are plenty of people in the modding community that support that notion, or milder variations of it.

You shouldn't be surprised, it's fairly common and in no way limited to Russian or other non-English sites. It's not something unique to modding either. Many people consider anything on the internet to be fair game to do with what they will, with no strings attached. And as evidenced in the thread, there are plenty of people in the modding community that support that notion, or milder variations of it.

But that doesn't make it OK either. If you download a software program developed by another company etc. and then upload it on your homepage with your name/logo and no hint otherwise, it's usually considered robbery. 

The only difference with mods is that they are "freeware" and don't cost anything. I can't imagine someone isn't aware of that. 

I can't imagine someone isn't aware of that.

Plenty of people don't share that outlook, and see no problem with taking and redistributing stuff without permission or attribution. And some people are quite aggressively inclined to the "all things must be free and open" way of thinking.

Plenty of people don't share that outlook, and see no problem with taking and redistributing stuff without permission or attribution. And some people are quite aggressively inclined to the "all things must be free and open" way of thinking.

The points is, mods are free for everyone to use. But to upload sb. work by willingly giving the wrong impression that you're the author and taking the credit for the hard work is something that few would consider right.

They don't want to consider it.

[snip]

Take a close look at the first Endar Spire pic on the right and the Manaan Kolto Tank - and then the title of the mod!

But that's not all:

[snip]

Can you believe this? 

It also seems that the author isn't even aware that this is bad, since the Manaan Overhaul is linked to Deadly Stream in the comments. 

Since the whole site is Russian, and I'm not able to register at all, is there someone who can speak Russian?

I just tried out the mod to see what other mods the individual stole. I can confirm these mods were present:

• Kain's Prequel Style Robes
  • Shem's Ultimate Sound Mod
  • ToastyFresh's Weapon Model Overhaul
  • Movie-style lightsaber replacements - forgot the author
  • Jorak's Reskins

Definitely another 1.0c-esque situation we have here.

EDIT:

Also came across the MedHypo mod by Rtas Vadum.

EDIT 2:

Armor Inventory Icon Overhaul by Marius Fett

Bits of redrob41's Juhani Catlike Head mod

Blaster Pistol Enhancement by Fallen Guardian

Edited by milestails

[snip]

But that's not all:

[snip]

Can you believe this?

I am Russian, I can try to convince the author to stop using files without permission or talk with admin to remove the mod in question. PM me link to the site.

Looks like we have another bogey:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=521588788&

He packaged Darth Sapiens' HD retextures into a pack.

Looks like it's already down! Maybe we should add a mod to steam workshop, that's titled "deadlystream.com" and that informs people about this website and maybe has a short list of the most important downloads, and also explains the workshop issues.