Xuul

Kotorfiles is now gone

Feel free to PM Shem or any other author that had files on Filefront to ask them to upload their own mods here. (You ought to check if an author hasn't already done so first but that's just common sense.)

Here's Shem's profile to get you started.

I PM'd Shem on LF a while ago. Still waiting for a response. (It was a couple of hours ago. So now we patiently wait :D )

• Like 1

Feel free to PM Shem or any other author that had files on Filefront to ask them to upload their own mods here. (You ought to check if an author hasn't already done so first but that's just common sense.)

Here's Shem's profile to get you started.

Well if it all does go ahead and I end up uploading some of these mods, it may be prudent of me to actually find and organise them first ;) 

I will probably have to make a new LF account considering there is 0% chance that I will remember the username of my old account, let alone its password!

Well, f**k.

I really liked browsing Kotorfiles for new mods to try and was looking forward to do so once I start my next playthrough of TSL with a new mod library. I probably have most mods I'm going to use already but it's a real shame to loose the biggest mod collection out there. But as long as the mods themselves are still available on gamefront it's kinda okay I think.

• Like 2

Well if it all does go ahead and I end up uploading some of these mods, it may be prudent of me to actually find and organise them first ;)

Do NOT upload them here. Modders will upload their own mods.

As folks may have noticed, there's a backlash against that asshat that uploaded other people's mods to Steam Workshop when he did not have permission to do so.

Please, don't be an asshat. :D

Do NOT upload them here. Modders will upload their own mods.

As folks may have noticed, there's a backlash against that asshat that uploaded other people's mods to Steam Workshop when he did not have permission to do so.

Please, don't be an asshat. :D

Wouldn't dream of it ;)

Also it is kind of difficult to avoid being an asshat, considering how horribly I misread your post XD

A lot of people left the scene a long time ago. There will be losses. Distribution of those sorts of mods with absent owners will have to go on using back channels via PMs.

No, not through me. There's a request thread over at LucasForums for just such a thing.

I PM'd Shem on LF a while ago. Still waiting for a response. (It was a couple of hours ago. So now we patiently wait :D )

I'm just waiting for a response to give me reason to never PM him again. :laughing:

Truly the end of an era.

I'm grateful for that site and the countless time I spent on there perusing each section for mods that gelled with my vision for the games.

Good thing I have all the ones I liked downloaded on my PC.

• Like 1

Before everyone freaks out, just take a look:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith-lords

Seems like most, if not all, files are still there available for download. I've seen one with only 9 downloads still there, so don't get too worked up.

You guys did see SithSpecter's post from earlier in the thread, right? For the purpose of going to find old mods, it's still around, but for the average user, it'll probably lead to an increase in traffic over here.

I personally attempted to contact InyriForge on both Filefront and this site months ago since some of her mods were quite impressive. She did not reply.

I personally attempted to contact InyriForge on both Filefront and this site months ago since some of her mods were quite impressive. She did not reply.

Twitter would be the best bet. It's a shame those mods might be gone forever

Surely its not a surprise to you guys. FF network sites have been acting up for years now. The OP link explains why. This is one reason why JKHub was created, to give the JK community a safe place to move to when FF finally went under. Luckily, we got a good 75% of JK2 and JKA mods uploaded with permission from the original authors. The other 25% leaves the random reborn and jawa reskins and the mods that we didn't have permission to upload.

I recommend the staff here do the same, while the files are still available. Contact authors and get them to register here and upload their mods - or get permission to upload them yourself. You'll be surprised how many modders are still contactable and are willing to do it.

I also recommend you guys fully brand your site as the new home to KOTOR modding, and maybe even drop JK support. The KOTOR community only has here and LF to go to, and we all know how LF can be a bit shady in it's intentions for the future. :P

Contact authors and get them to register here and upload their mods - or get permission to upload them yourself. You'll be surprised how many modders are still contactable and are willing to do it.

InSidious is already on the job.

and we all know how LF can be a bit shady in it's intentions for the future. :P

Speak for yourself.

The KOTOR community only has here and LF to go to, and we all know how LF can be a bit shady in it's intentions for the future. :P

Can you explain what you mean by this?

There have been multiple cases where LF went completely offline for weeks, am I right? Or am I imagining it?

EDIT: maybe I was thinking of LucasFiles? Though I thought they were connected somehow.

<---- uninformed :P

LucasForums goes offline for a week or two about once every month or two now. I beleieve the issue is they are still using a physical server (their own hardware colocated). It's a combination of it being hardware presumably operating at the edge of, and beyond, its limitations, and the fact that it needs someone to physically go and restart it when it keels over. They really should have switched to a virtual server setup years ago, but I'm not sure how active the admins are these days.

• Like 1

LucasFiles went down permanently a few years ago.

There was a PFHA04 reskin I liked that was on there. Gone forever now.

EDIT: There is also Obsidian Forums, Moddb, Steam Forums, Nexus Mods, and gog forums. All have a KotOR / TSL presence.

I wish we'd have gotten some more advance warning to back up our favorite mods...

Also, consider this me giving permission for anyone to reupload any of my mods they might happen to have a copy of (Khoonda Lost Room 1.4, my update of "a lost sith in a  nameless world"). If anyone happens to still have a copy of them and uploads them here, I might even try to fix them up/make some improvements to them. *shrug*

(I think I've long since lost my original files for the mods. I might be able to dig up the files for one of them, but the computer I made them on died a while ago)

Well least deadlystream is around, seems to be the best resource for modding Kotor at the moment. Pitty that Kotorfiles.com is down now, I wonder who made that decision, the people of filefront(gamefront.com)? Need another website setup similar to Kotor files, I liked the organization on that website for finding mods, and it had basically every mod ever created on there. Hopefully deadlystream can take it's place. It is truly sad seeing that website permanently go away, as it pretty much hurt the modding community for not only Kotor, but for the other games that the website hosted mods for.

Edit:

I got interested in trying to figure out a way to gain access to kotorfiles again, found a website that archived it:

For browsing - Kotorfiles Backup: http://web.archive.org/web/20150721083748/http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

For downloading - Kotor1: http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic/

For downloading - Kotor2: http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith-lords/

(Note: Google search will yield better results, essentially still linking to gamefront, other websites may also have the file too)

You can visit every webpage and browse every mod like you used to be able to do, then use google, or gamefront to find download link by copying the exact name of the mod. Direct downloading doesn't work, but being able to visit the website, getting the names of the mods or looking at pictures will prove useful.

Edited by exocron