Snigaroo

Mod Build Request Thread - KOTOR

I see it was uploaded, I've approved it and marked that request fulfilled. I'll leave it in the list until I'm able to test it next revision, but I don't expect any problems with integration. Thanks Salk!

I don't think you need to worry, I've just learned not to test content outside of a full build revision. Last couple times I tried things went... badly.

I would like to announce that I've been developing the "Hulas has no reason to fight" request and it's about 95% complete.

One of the journal entries mentions that you killed Hulas, I just gotta find out how to change this so that a custom journal entry is added in its place mentioning how Senni was the one who was killed.

On 6/7/2024 at 10:31 PM, DarthParametric said:

Just use HoloPatcher and edit the TLK string directly. Far less effort and it's less intrusive.

Would there be a tutorial or a pre-existing mod that already does this with the HoloPatcher?

30 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

a tutorial

Unfortunately no. The wiki on the PyKotor repo is pretty barebones and only has a few bits and pieces regarding HoloPatcher.

30 minutes ago, N-DReW25 said:

a pre-existing mod that already does this with the HoloPatcher

K1CP is probably the only mod currently that uses the feature. You can see some discussion about it in the "HoloPatcher migration" issue on the repo as the feature was initially being developed/implemented. There's more on the DS Discord as it was being refined/implemented/tested, between October and December 2023 (I'd have to go digging to find specific links).

Probably more useful (and less confusing) would be to just look at the K1CP changes.ini's [TLKList] section. The gist is that you can now specify a TLK in the tslpatchdata folder to be used for overwriting vanilla strings. In this case, K1CP uses the regular append.tlk for double duty, both overwrites and the typical appends. Any appended strings follow the same format they always did. Overwrite strings get listed in a sub-section under the heading of their filename specified at the start of the block. The vanilla StrRef ID is then linked to source TLK ID (i.e. basically the same way the append list works). So in this example, vanilla StrRef 25859 (one of Mission's lines after breaking Zaalbar out of his Gamorrean cell) is being overwritten by string 27 in append.tlk, etc.

On 6/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, DarthParametric said:

K1CP is probably the only mod currently that uses the feature. You can see some discussion about it in the "HoloPatcher migration" issue on the repo as the feature was initially being developed/implemented. There's more on the DS Discord as it was being refined/implemented/tested, between October and December 2023 (I'd have to go digging to find specific links).

Probably more useful (and less confusing) would be to just look at the K1CP changes.ini's [TLKList] section. The gist is that you can now specify a TLK in the tslpatchdata folder to be used for overwriting vanilla strings. In this case, K1CP uses the regular append.tlk for double duty, both overwrites and the typical appends. Any appended strings follow the same format they always did. Overwrite strings get listed in a sub-section under the heading of their filename specified at the start of the block. The vanilla StrRef ID is then linked to source TLK ID (i.e. basically the same way the append list works). So in this example, vanilla StrRef 25859 (one of Mission's lines after breaking Zaalbar out of his Gamorrean cell) is being overwritten by string 27 in append.tlk, etc.

This method has worked!

@Snigaroo The Senni Vek Restoration mod has now become the Senni Vek Mod and includes your fulfilled Senni Vek to Hulas request.

• Like 1

Snigaroo,

I've packaged a first version of Bastila must hide! yesterday. I checked that the installation was successful and that the files were patched properly, but the modification could not be tested in-game yet and I can't predict when I'll be able to do that due to time constraints.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 1:11 AM, Salk said:

Snigaroo,

I've packaged a first version of Bastila must hide! yesterday. I checked that the installation was successful and that the files were patched properly, but the modification could not be tested in-game yet and I can't predict when I'll be able to do that due to time constraints.

I don't know why I didn't get a notification about this, sorry about that Salk--no worries on the timetable. We are looking at next build release for integration anyway, so there is plenty of time.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 4:05 PM, Snigaroo said:

I am lucky enough that I believe most modders are aware of what the mod builds are, and are broadly supportive of them and their objectives. I want to lead with saying I'm extremely grateful for the support that the mod community has consistently shown me; the builds wouldn't be where they are now without the cooperation of so many modders. But I think the builds can be better still, and it's time to start working towards that.

Back-Porting of TSL Areas to K1

Hide contents

This is an extremely general category because I don't necessarily have amazing ideas for it myself, and is included at least partly for brainstorming purposes. There are areas in KOTOR 2 (such as the Enclave sublevel, or Ludo Kressh's tomb on Korriban) which are inaccessible in the original game but could be ported over, potentially with great benefit. Revan entering Kressh's tomb could, for instance, force the player to confront jumbled and amorphous threats from their past, both as Revan and as the programmed identity the Jedi gave them--a hint that not all is what it seems. And, while the player wouldn't be able to take loot from the same containers the Exile can loot in K2 (unless the Star Wars universe comes with spontaneous item genesis), Revan could at least get to Kressh's actual burial chamber and do something there to leave an echo of themselves, something that would--implicitly--explain the vision of Revan the Exile encounters there years later.

That's just one suggestion, but I think reusing these areas in careful and intentional ways would be a great way to expand the game's content while keeping the quality high.

Not sure how relevant this would be to your request here but I am currently working on a mod which ports the closed off areas of Korriban into K1 for Revan to access. The rooms in the academy are ported in (thanks to @Thor110) and I will be adding Sith holocrons and possible info into the computers on Sith history, as well as a couple of side quests--one involving retrieving holocrons that were stolen by Jorak Uln after he was ousted (which means you'd have to kill him to get them) and one that involves hunting the hssiss lizards for a reward which appear on Korriban in K2 and which will be ported in. Ludo Kressh's tomb might be open as well (although it hasn't been ported yet) and I'm planning for Revan to probably run into a "vision" of Kreia/Arren Kae (who [SPOILER ALERT] is Revan's former master) that he'll end up fighting. There will also be a clothing overhaul and all the Sith students and teachers at the academy will be wearing robes ported in from K2 that the Sith at Trayus Academy on Malachor V wear. All the NPCs who the player has actual conversations with will also be given unique heads ported in from K2 and/or re-using existing player heads. There will also be at least three "cameos" from K2: Jana Lorso, the female Mirialan Czerka rep from Telos in K2, will replace the Czerka rep at the desk in their office (I've already used ElevenLabs to generate replacement VO lines what were converted from the original; the Twin Suns from Nar Shadaa will be there and are shown as having come as prospective students but they got "bored" and decided to pursue a life of crime instead and will be in Czerka's office. Also, the Sith trooper guard outside will be replaced with Azkul and have his head (I'll be using a modder's resource that has a non-helmeted Sith trooper suit for him). 

I have considered porting the caves and ludo kresh's tomb over to K1, or rather using it in my port of K1, but I don't think it makes sense because then the tomb would have been looted by the second game and would have to be empty.

I also looked at just using the caves and leaving it locked, but there is a slight difference between the two caves models, in KotOR1 there is a small opening at the end of the caves, just across the bridge, in KotOR2 there is not.

So I couldn't decide on what the best approach was for the port.

As for KotOR1 itself, it's very easy to port levels over to the first game, you're more than welcome to use the files from my K2 to K1 port of all the levels which is still available on ModDB.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/expanded-galaxy-project-kotor-12/downloads/revans-eternal-empire-k1-beta-v0-2-9

12 hours ago, Thor110 said:

I have considered porting the caves and ludo kresh's tomb over to K1, or rather using it in my port of K1, but I don't think it makes sense because then the tomb would have been looted by the second game and would have to be empty.

I also looked at just using the caves and leaving it locked, but there is a slight difference between the two caves models, in KotOR1 there is a small opening at the end of the caves, just across the bridge, in KotOR2 there is not.

So I couldn't decide on what the best approach was for the port.

As for KotOR1 itself, it's very easy to port levels over to the first game, you're more than welcome to use the files from my K2 to K1 port of all the levels which is still available on ModDB.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/expanded-galaxy-project-kotor-12/downloads/revans-eternal-empire-k1-beta-v0-2-9

I have thought about the best reasoning for how a port of the TSL caves to K1 on Korriban would work. My idea is that, after the Sith students escape, you plant charges to blow up the cave exit and cover it up in the new rubble. The idea is that you're essentially covering their tracks to prevent further searches for them by the Sith. The new TSL module variant showing the end of the bridge without the opening will load in right after quick cutscene/animation showing a bunch of explosions at the entrance. The tomb of Ludo Kresh suddenly appearing can be explained with a simple text pop-up saying something along the lines of how the explosion that destroyed the exit and shook/quaked up the cave area so much that the rocks covering the hidden tomb were forced away. If you rescue the students, the Twilek student gives you instructions to plant explosives at the exit with a remote detonator afterwards, rewarding you with additional XP and ligthside points. If you just kill the students, youll find the detonator parts on their bodies and the same idea can be done anyway.

This is just a really crude idea of how it could be done, but I think this was allows for a natural transition from one module to another without causing any conflicts. It really is convenient how the rest of the cave is entirely the same besides this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mephiles550 said:

This is just a really crude idea of how it could be done, but I think this was allows for a natural transition from one module to another without causing any conflicts. 

It's been a long time since I did that quest, I guess that's why the area at the end is caved in in the second game, but it doesn't really explain how the tomb comes out of nowhere.

You would have to make a room animation to transition cleanly I think.

Not sure it's something I could manage.

14 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

It's been a long time since I did that quest, I guess that's why the area at the end is caved in in the second game, but it doesn't really explain how the tomb comes out of nowhere.

You would have to make a room animation to transition cleanly I think.

Not sure it's something I could manage.

Basically I'm using the Brotherhood of Shadow approach where the solution is just loads of explosions and fade to black mid-way through the explosions, just like Hollywood would want. Then when the fade to black is done, the new module loads, you're at the same spot you detonated the charges. Now we have a newly blocked cave and a new tomb that was now "exposed" offscreen, i.e the TSL cave module instead of the Kotor 1 module. 
I don't think it needs to be that complicated, Kotor was never really creative about stuff like this in the first place, TBH. 

You could have the Sith students tell you there's a hidden tomb with all types of artifacts and goodies and stuff hidden near the cave exit. They could provide you additional explosives to blow up that area directly as well along with the cave exit. This would be a nice reference to the Thorium charges from TSLs Korriban. You would need to plant explosives at both the cave exit and the area where the tomb would be in TSL, then detonate both at once (and not only one at a time due to obvious reasons). Why both at the same time? lol idk make up a story reason in-game. The actually reason is because there's no module with only one change, it has to be the two new ones (no cave exit, new tomb area)

The idea might not be the best, but it's simple and I think it could work. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mephiles550 said:

Basically I'm using the Brotherhood of Shadow approach where the solution is just loads of explosions and fade to black mid-way through the explosions, just like Hollywood would want. Then when the fade to black is done, the new module loads, you're at the same spot you detonated the charges.

That could work for sure, you would also have to set a variable and have a script ensure to check that when entering the cave so that you don't get sent to the original module.

2 minutes ago, Mephiles550 said:

The idea might not be the best, but it's simple and I think it could work. 

Feel free to try and make it happen, I don't have time for it that's for sure.

• Like 1