Sign in to follow this  
VarsityPuppet

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher

I am not sure why everyone is so mad over the cgi tarkin and leia from rogue. I'd rather disney do a cgi carrie fisher in episode 9 then someone telling the main characters she died in some random bombing event out of nowhere or for them to go one step further and do what they did to Lando...not include her at all.

Neither am I. We all agree that Carrie Fisher's death is a hard situation and we cannot spoil the memory about her. But what would be a bigger spoil of her memory - finishing the work she devoted her life to with her own face in CGI or rather destroying it by killing her character in first random situation?
  • Like 1

Episode 8 will still be in post for a while yet. This allows them to make subtle changes to the film via editing, re-shoots and such. These can lay a more organic end for her character so that it is less abrupt. For all we know, Leia may have been planned so that the character dies in the film; or they can edit it such that the character can be killed off in 8 instead of 9.

They have plenty of time to "fix" the narrative and are probably already working out the details. And I wouldn't say that she exactly devoted her life to Star Wars and the character Princess Leia. She did a lot more than just Star Wars.

Episode 8 will still be in post for a while yet. This allows them to make subtle changes to the film via editing, re-shoots and such. These can lay a more organic end for her character so that it is less abrupt. For all we know, Leia may have been planned so that the character dies in the film; or they can edit it such that the character can be killed off in 8 instead of 9.

They have plenty of time to "fix" the narrative and are probably already working out the details. And I wouldn't say that she exactly devoted her life to Star Wars and the character Princess Leia. She did a lot more than just Star Wars.

But she was most famous or the role of Leia. If she didn't devote herself to Star Wars, why did she stay and finally act in The Force Awakens?

Money!

Being devoted to money is still a devotion. And since there's no good solution for this sad situation, I think the lesser evil would be to complete Leia with CGI as her character deserved a completion rather than leaving her history empty and soulless by killing her in some random situation.

Being devoted to money is still a devotion. And since there's no good solution for this sad situation, I think the lesser evil would be to complete Leia with CGI as her character deserved a completion rather than leaving her history empty and soulless by killing her in some random situation.

I think they need to make the best movie possible. If it involves giving General Leia a fitting send-off in Episode 9 to reflect her passing in real-life, then do that. If it involves using stand-in actor to complete her story in an honorable and respectable way, then do that.

But obviously, her family's needs should be prioritized above the movie's needs

• Like 1

I think they should just do whatever they were doing with Episode VIII and then for IX either completely leave her out or have somebody say why she couldn't be present (either she's busy somewhere else or died offscreen). But of course that probably means that they will not do that...

Episode IX should focus entirely on new characters, anyway, and keep old trilogy's cast in the background at best. Same for Episode 8, though Luke kind of has to be at least as important as Yoda was in the Empire. I thought The Force Awakens balanced it pretty well by giving Han important enough role and a dramatic death, but letting the new kids lead the movie.

The trilogy needs to move forward and stand on its own instead of relying on nostalgia and everyone's favorite childhood characters.

It was fine up until Early Autumn..

Also, does anyone remember 2007?

Both have numbers dividable into nine. But I'm not superstitious so I assume God makes us some stupid jokes.

Terrible news about Carrie's mother Debbie Reynolds...

My deepest condolences to the family. May they have the strength to cross this difficult period in their lives.

I didn't think the CGI in Rogue One was bad, but I agree they shouldn't do it for Leia in Episode IX. While Peter Cushing has been gone for a long time, Fisher's passing would still be a fresh wound and to see Leia return in CGI could easily be seen as in bad taste. Not to mention that the ethics of bringing back Tarkin have been heavily debated anyway.

It felt like a tribute to Peter Cushing, imo, it was great seeing him. He was such an awesome actor.

Carrie Fisher, yeah, I don't know. It was hard enough at some points watching Rogue One- Bail Organa- "I trust her with my life." I like the idea of her daughter stepping into that role, as someone above suggested.

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

It has been a bad year.