VarsityPuppet

Star Wars Episode VII Discussion (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

But if KotOR is canon, then TOR probably is as well :(

RIP Revan and Exile, you used to be cool.

not necessarily... If luke gives background to rakata prime and says how Revan disappeared after destroying the Star Forge (doubt if he will unless Revan is slated to appear in the new movies, but we can hope), then that means no more TOR. They can pick and choose what is canon here

Revan and Meetra alive but during the Eternal Empire's reign would be interesting or in the new movies as grey jedi. 

On second thought, Id prefer it to stay not-canon, that way I do not have to accept TOR as how it all happened

Revan and Meetra alive but during the Eternal Empire's reign would be interesting or in the new movies as grey jedi. 

That could be possible, The whole grey Jedi thing  was a prevailing theme in the novel believe it or not. Take this qoute from the canon Journal of willis for example (took it of wiki, my e-book is playing up so I cant access my book in the moment :(

"First comes the day

Then comes the night.

After the darkness

Shines through the light.

The difference, they say,

Is only made right

By the resolving of gray

Through refined Jedi sight."

As much as the Old Republic era is one of my favorites. It will only manifest itself in the new established canon as influence. The same way Jacen Solo has and to a lesser degree the Sun Crusher.

I was very much pleased with the The Force Awakens. My biggest gripes with it were that there was no mourning or "aftershock" of the New Republic capital system being destroyed. There was a scene in ANH for Alderaan but not for an entire Solar System? Would have been a couple of minutes of footage for that. They also should have shown some scenes of Poe Dameron getting off of Jakku or escaping the crashed Tie Fighter. All you would have to do is see one trailer to know that he did not die. Again a minute or so of footage. 

But besides those two minor flaws I loved it. I love the new cast of heroes and especially the villains. I did want to see more Luke and Snoke though as those are gonna be the two big power players but that was just something I wanted.

As for the title, just like the other titles of the series it can be vague and not literal about its meaning. For me I think the title refers to Kylo and Rey and their growing power. Maybe Finn as well if he ends up being able to use the Force.

• Like 1

Very well, I shall stop posting here... I can see constructive criticism is unwelcome... enjoy your positivity thread where any kind of objection to TFA being awesome being crushed out of existance.

I would have expected better on these boards, guess not.

Okay, maybe this last one... while destroying the Death Star was important (since it can haunt you)... why didn't they just let the Sun Crusher thingie fire? I mean... it would take like 5 years on a new planet to build another, surely rebuilding a resistance base with all the evacuated people wouldn't take that time.

Couldn't do this for IV since the new base would have been blown up too, but no reason running then starting would have worked here since the firing of the gun made it impossible to be used again anyway.

• Like 1

Very well, I shall stop posting here... I can see constructive criticism is unwelcome... enjoy your positivity thread where any kind of objection to TFA being awesome being crushed out of existance.

We accept constructive criticism, but you've said the same thing over and over and many of us provided counter-points which you and several others failed to respond to most of the time. Instead of engaging in an actual debate you decided to send some OOC insults my way, and then of course things just got heated from that end on a lot of people. It's a topic that needs some rest before it's brought up again. Just look at what you're talking about. Rather than joining in on our current discussion on whether TFA canonizes KOTOR, you're dragging it back to your "oh woe is me the superweapon is bad" Come on dude.

I'm all for debating on what is a "flaw" in your opinion, but I actually want it to be a debate rather than just a complain session which it turned out to be.

As much as the Old Republic era is one of my favorites. It will only manifest itself in the new established canon as influence. The same way Jacen Solo has and to a lesser degree the Sun Crusher.

To a point yes, but there's no reason they can't officially canonize it, if anything they can just state that "Revan disappeared after destroying the star forge" hinting that while kotor I and II may be canon, TOR never was (and make a lot of people happy that way)

I was very much pleased with the The Force Awakens. My biggest gripes with it were that there was no mourning or "aftershock" of the New Republic capital system being destroyed. There was a scene in ANH for Alderaan but not for an entire Solar System? Would have been a couple of minutes of footage for that. They also should have shown some scenes of Poe Dameron getting off of Jakku or escaping the crashed Tie Fighter. All you would have to do is see one trailer to know that he did not die. Again a minute or so of footage.

Well I will say that there wasn't much time for them to "grieve" since the First Order arrived on their doorstep soon after, but I agree it would have been nice for a bit of gathering on that. As for poe, I think that choice was for dramatic choice as giving the audience a red herring, and adding some flashback scenes later on wouldn't exactly have worked on their re-union since it was about to focus on destroying Starkiller

But besides those two minor flaws I loved it. I love the new cast of heroes and especially the villains. I did want to see more Luke and Snoke though as those are gonna be the two big power players but that was just something I wanted.

Did anyone else notice Mark Hamil is still fat?

Admin: Next time I have to remove profanity from this thread, I'm locking it and providing bans to the offenders. Re-read the site rules.

Okay, maybe this last one... while destroying the Death Star was important (since it can haunt you)... why didn't they just let the Sun Crusher thingie fire? I mean... it would take like 5 years on a new planet to build another, surely rebuilding a resistance base with all the evacuated people wouldn't take that time.

Couldn't do this for IV since the new base would have been blown up too, but no reason running then starting would have worked here since the firing of the gun made it impossible to be used again anyway.

Yes, another annoying point about this super weapon, they could only use it twice... Seemed like one of the most ridiculous plot points for the starkiller. I mean why create a weapon of that magnitude if you can only use it twice. Seemed like a complete waste of time

I have to say the book changed my opinion alot, it added alot of needed details to the story and you didnt feel as though you were reading a rehashed ANH like the film. I am still rather annoyed how people seem to say that this is the reason the film is so great. 

I think they can move it. Because it's fired up to destroy the New Republic System. Then they attempt to fire it up again "hours" later to try to destroy the Rebel base. So either one Sun can fuel multiple attempts or they can move it.

Well I will say that there wasn't much time for them to "grieve" since the First Order arrived on their doorstep soon after, but I agree it would have been nice for a bit of gathering on that. As for poe, I think that choice was for dramatic choice as giving the audience a red herring, and adding some flashback scenes later on wouldn't exactly have worked on their re-union since it was about to focus on destroying Starkiller

They could of added in a minute of grievance before they arrived on their doorstep. But yah I could see how it provided some drama for Poe.

I think it's the Rakata Prime world, the film said Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple, and while it wasn't a Jedi world it was the site of an ancient empire and probably a place to start looking. It's also an unknown region of space and the only map there seems to come in pieces.

I think it's the Rakata Prime world, the film said Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple, and while it wasn't a Jedi world it was the site of an ancient empire and probably a place to start looking. It's also an unknown region of space and the only map there seems to come in pieces.

I think that's false since Han Solo he actually doesn't know why he left and is probably scratching for reasons, the real reason of why Luke went missing will definitely be revealed come 2017.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice or think that maybe Han and Luke weren't on the best of terms given of how Han reacted when he heard Luke mentioned? It almost sounded grudgingly when he said it, as if he took issue with Luke completely disappearing, or maybe he blamed Luke for Ben's fall to the dark side.

I have a gripe and it happens very, very early in the movie. It's before anyone even speaks a line! The next time you all see in the theatres, you'll notice it and it will then annoy you too.

I'm talking about the incorrect font used in the opening scroll. They used the wrong one for the Episode Title.  Let's look at a previous movie scroll so you can see where the mistake is.

FontsinUse.jpg

See where it says "REVENGE OF THE SITH" near the top? As it currently stands, they used Franklin Gothic Demi (Bold) which is the font used above and below the Episode Title.

That's gripe number 1. I'm sure I'll think of more.

-snip-

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but that's actually hilarious.

I have no major issues the movie. Here are my minor ones.

1) The major death laser thing is a bit overdone. Let's leave that plot device alone for a while?

2) "Snoke"? That name seems a bit undercooked to me. Let me know when it comes out of the oven.

3) Let's think about the soundtrack. Is there anything new in it that you could imagine humming walking out of the theater? Perhaps the soundtrack will grow on me - we'll see.

4) Hated Adam Driver's performance the first time I saw TFA but I don't think I minded it at all the second time. (The Mrs. has put a ban on Kylo Ren merchandise in the house because of - reasons.)

• Like 1

1) The major death laser thing is a bit overdone. Let's leave that plot device alone for a while?

Agreed, while I also wasn't erred by the superweapon thing, I think it's time to move on

2) "Snoke"? That name seems a bit undercooked to me. Let me know when it comes out of the oven.

*cough*pseudonym for Darth Plageuis *cough*

3) Let's think about the soundtrack. Is there anything new in it that you could imagine humming walking out of the theater? Perhaps the soundtrack will grow on me - we'll see.

For me, The scene with the destroyer eclisping Jakku and the following music as the shuttles descended towards it. Also the march of the resistance theme.

Here's a link to the soundtrack, it's on youtube -->

TBQH the music was somewhat tame in places, but I think it's because they wanted to let the scenes speak for itself rather than setting the tone for it

4) Hated Adam Driver's performance the first time I saw TFA but I don't think I minded it at all the second time. (The Mrs. has put a ban on Kylo Ren merchandise in the house because of - reasons.)

Personally, I think he was greatly acted, particularly how his voice sounded almost robotic and menacing even when after he removed his mask in some parts.

These are just my opinions though

This one has grown on me.

They play a similar theme other places in the movie, but this is what they play when Rey, Chewie and R2 land on Rakata Prime Unknown World wherever Luke is, Rey climbs the steps and the infamous last scene where Rey extends the lightsaber to Luke.

This one has grown on me.

They play a similar theme other places in the movie, but this is what they play when Rey, Chewie and R2 land on Rakata Prime Unknown World wherever Luke is, Rey climbs the steps and the infamous last scene where Rey extends the lightsaber to Luke.

I liked both March of the resistance and Jedi finale + finale I also really enjoyed Torn Apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEBD3JmY7Q

And Snokes theme (but lets face it, any bit of music from EP. 3 would be great)

Best theory ever LMAO:

Rather than read six more pages of debates and whatnot and try to respond to that, I'll just give my opinions now that I've actually seen the film.

Ever since I heard about Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm and the new movies coming out, I was skeptical, and I decided that I would see this movie and my opinion of it would determine whether or not I saw the others when they came out. My opinion: it's good enough for me to watch the others.

That said, there are a number of gripes, both big and small, that I have with it:

1) By far the biggest is that this did not seem to mesh well with the general "Star Wars-y" atmosphere that I had in my brain after six movies and two KOTOR games. I think this is a more legitimate feeling since I actually watched both episodes V and VI less than a week ago. In the prequels, I felt like Padme didn't fit into the Star Wars universe; here, I felt the same way about most of the characters. With some parts especially (especially a number of sequences featuring Finn), it seemed a lot more like people from our world getting to be in the Star Wars universe -- which, admittedly it was. The situation wasn't helped much by the returnees, since they generally looked and felt different from themselves in the OT -- although I can chalk this up to the actors being decades older.

The end result is a movie that I think does a fine job of starting a new Star Wars saga, in a version of the galaxy that's slightly different than that of the preceding 4000 years (but hey, times change). However, I think I was kind of looking for more of a continuation of the the Star Wars saga, and this movie disappointed me in that regard.

2) This had better be the last Star Wars movie that culminates in a space battle-type scene to destroy the planet-destroying device. It was kind of old after the second time (in ROTJ) and my reaction this time is basically "really, you couldn't think of anything different?"

This didn't feel like A New Hope all over again to me, though, but I did notice parallels. But the overall feel is totally different for me. Again, I think that's largely due to the characters.

3) They killed off exactly one major character -- and it had to be Han Solo? The iconic character who also, I might add, was doing a heck of a lot more than any other returnees? I could have taken it better if they'd taken advantage of the great opportunities to kill off Finn, or Poe, or Kylo, but it was just Han. I also would have liked it more if Han's death was a bit more blunt -- that would have taken some of the sting away from it.

I hope that Luke sees a fair bit of action next film. I did note the irony that Han, who in A New Hope was mostly scoffing at Obi-Wan, ended up filling a very similar role to him in this film, rather than Luke, who would have seemed to be the logical choice for that role.

4) Seeing any familiar planets, rather than just new ones similar to those, would have been nice. Instead we just get a bunch of new ones, including those that look similar enough to Tatooine and Coruscant that I though they were those when I first saw them. I also wished that more planet names could have been given. In particular, when the bad guys blew up the Republic, I was thinking "did they just blow up Coruscant?" It would have been nice to not have to come home and consult Wookieepedia to find out.

5) Not enough exposition/too much confusion in some parts. In particular the Empire wreckage all over Jakku. Might be slightly unrelated, but I also thought that the Resistance was incredibly stupid to stay on the planet that the First Order was going to blow up and not evacuate.

6) Kylo Ren. As far as I'm concerned, there is not a single redeeming feature about him. All the other bad guys in Star Wars were at least cool in some way; Palpatine's absolute genius for most of the saga, for instance. Instead, to me, Kylo just seemed kind of lame. Some specific things against him:

a) The way he killed Han Solo, obviously. Might have been better if it wasn't Han, of course.

b. I didn't like the under-the-mask voice at all. It reminded me of some of the voicing from M4-78 that sounded more amateurish.

c) Rather than controlling and using his anger like the Sith, he just crazily bashes stuff with his lightsaber. That makes him seem more lame to me.

d) He has to force pull a dude to his hand to choke him instead of doing the Darth Vader choke.

e) You are never EVER going to persuade me that his lightsaber is anywhere near as cool as the original/"real" lightsaber.

I wish he had died at the end of the movie a la Darth Maul. Probably one of my least favorite Star Wars characters ever. I get the feeling he's going to be redeemed at some point, which will make some parts of this movie (killing Solo comes to mind) worse for me.

7) Crossing into minor details at this point... It would have been way epic for Wedge to come back, since we were having another battle to destroy the planet-destroying machine. (Although looking it up, I see that it was the actor's fault, so I guess this one doesn't count.)

8) Some of Rey's abilities seemed to manifest quite quickly, especially the Force-related ones. It didn't really bother me much though, and if she does turn out to be offspring of Luke (and whom?) then it makes perfect sense to me.

9) Similarly, it seemed slightly amazing that Finn didn't slice himself in half during his first bout with the lightsaber. Again, though, it didn't bother me that much.

10) Is there a requirement for every movie to have a romance or something? Was it really necessary?

There was one other, very minor (as in I don't think it really bothered me at all) complaint, but I forgot what it was. But there is one point that was brought up here that I want to address, and that's that of should Luke have been found at the end of this movie or not. I think it would have been fine if it ended with Artoo coming back to life and having the rest of the map, but if it did go any farther than that, this is an appropriate place to end it. After all, this way we do get to see what Luke looks like now. If we had gone up to right before Luke showed his face, and THEN stopped... that would have been incredibly cruel.

I know this looks like a lot of complaints, but I did enjoy the movie overall. It was a good movie, I think. Just had some flaws and wasn't the continuation of the Star Wars saga that I was hoping for. Admins, sorry if this post went too long.

b. I didn't like the under-the-mask voice at all. It reminded me of some of the voicing from M4-78 that sounded more amateurish.

I will accept that back-handed compliment. Ha!

I will accept that back-handed compliment. Ha!

What, you did all of the voices from that mod?

I intended no offense. I guess there's just a higher level that I expect from professional movie-makers.

What, you did all of the voices from that mod?

No - just the title character. (Look beneath my screen name and my above my avatar.)

No - just the title character. (Look beneath my screen name and my above my avatar.)

Got it. (That voicing is by no means terrible, by the way -- but he probably shouldn't sing too much.)