Xuul

Why it's not okay to upload someone else's mods

With kotorfiles dead, and many mods lost, I'd argue that preserving them somewhere would be a good idea, otherwise all the effort of the modder/modders is lost, and the mod is nowhere to be found.

It only benefits both parties if the modder/s are given due credit, and the mod isn't preserved somewhere, altough this only applies on the case if the mod is nowhere to be found, and no contact with the modder is avaible.

(I'm not stupid enough to break the rules of this site doing that, but it's my personal opinion)

None of the files uploaded on the Steam Workshop are unavailable to download anywhere else. None of them are "lost"

None of the files uploaded on the Steam Workshop are unavailable to download anywhere else. None of them are "lost"

Not arguing for the Steam Workshop guy, but rather for "special occasions"

I'll see if something happens in the weekend. Otherwise I'll see if Aspyr can help out a hand :D

I saw the discussion on the Mira/Hanharr mod on Steam, may I ask why you want it taken down?

1. I reported and commented. I agree with DP that we should not maintain an aggressive discussion with the perpetrator in plain site because it will get unwanted attention. Instead we just have as many of us as possible flag that stuff.

2. HH, what if you uploaded a "better" "improved" edition and uploaded that to Steam workshop instead. With the new version, ProfessorShroom would then be obligated to remove the stolen mod. You could then remove yours as well. But you could leave a page for it, where you explain that the workshop edition of the mod fails to install properly as noted by several in the community (that being us) and then you link to the mod here.

I saw the discussion on the Mira/Hanharr mod on Steam, may I ask why you want it taken down?

It has to do with principle I believe. And the fact that HH is still very present in the modding community and his mods are readily available means that there is NO reason whatsoever for this to happen.

1. I reported and commented. I agree with DP that we should not maintain an aggressive discussion with the perpetrator in plain site because it will get unwanted attention. Instead we just have as many of us as possible flag that stuff.

2. HH, what if you uploaded a "better" "improved" edition and uploaded that to Steam workshop instead. With the new version, ProfessorShroom would then be obligated to remove the stolen mod. You could then remove yours as well. But you could leave a page for it, where you explain that the workshop edition of the mod fails to install properly as noted by several in the community (that being us) and then you link to the mod here.

Good idea. 

What about the modders who will not upload their mods onto a new site because they went inactive, like in kotor files's case lots of people have mods from those sites on their computers and they want to put the mod on a new site for more people to enjoy, how is that wrong? Because the original modders aren't gonna do anything about it so why not re-upload it i mean seriously?

What about the modders who will not upload their mods onto a new site because they went inactive, like in kotor files's case lots of people have mods from those sites on their computers and they want to put the mod on a new site for more people to enjoy, how is that wrong? Because the original modders aren't gonna do anything about it so why not re-upload it i mean seriously?

We've had a huge discussion about this through this thread so I suggest you read it through ;)

That's where it gets tricky in my opinion. Try to respect their readme and hopefully it will say something about it.

I agree vehemently, it would be intensely idiotic not to.

It goes against the Steam Subscriber Agreement

D. Representations and Warranties

You represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in all User Generated Content to grant Valve and other affected parties the licenses described under A. and B. above or in any license terms specific to the applicable Workshop-Enabled App or Workshop page. This includes, without limitation, any kind of intellectual property rights or other proprietary or personal rights affected by or included in the User Generated Content. In particular, with respect to Workshop Contributions, you represent and warrant that the Workshop Contribution was originally created by you (or, with respect to a Workshop Contribution to which others contributed besides you, by you and the other contributors, and in such case that you have the right to submit such Workshop Contribution on behalf of those other contributors).

• Like 1

So you would destroy something good, something useful, something wanted, simpy based on the whim of its creator? I could understand if it were something the original author was selling or if there were even a well reasoned argument to destroy something the comunity values; there is not. For all we know the original author may have no idea how valued this file is. To remove it without discussion is a disservice to him, the uploader and the community.

Please someone tell that guy that removing that file doesn't mean it's destroyed because people can simply download it from deadlystream.com.

• Like 1

Stupid rule.

So it's a stupid rule to respect others' decisions and wishes, and to make sure someone doesn't try to claim stuff that isn't theirs? Right...

Please someone tell that guy that removing that file doesn't mean it's destroyed because people can simply download it from deadlystream.com.

Honestly, I would, but I've been banned from the comments...

• Like 1

So have I...

I suppose it's only a matter of time for me

ysiRIty.png

Stupid rule.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Thinking something is stupid isn't going to change the rules though.

Started archiving this page incase he decides to delete everything again.

First link here.

Second link here.

Third link here.

Fourth link here.

Fifth link here.

Sixth link here

Seventh link here. (A whole lot of comments are now removed)

Eighth link here.

Ninth link here.

Started archiving this page incase he decides to delete everything again.

First link here.

Nice work, my friend! :D

I wonder how long it will take until I'm out though. I suppose it's interesting that I haven't been banned yet. Maybe I have some clout as a contributor to RCM? idk..

I almost want to upload my own, better version of the mod (with Hassat Hunter's permission) to undercut this sneaky a-hole

Nice work, my friend! :D

I wonder how long it will take until I'm out though. I suppose it's interesting that I haven't been banned yet. Maybe I have some clout as a contributor to RCM? idk..

I almost want to upload my own, better version of the mod (with Hassat Hunter's permission) to undercut this sneaky a-hole

You're more than welcome.

Although I doubt that you have some clout as a contributor to RCM as he refuses to abide the requests of HH, who is one of the main contributors still working on the mod.

You're more than welcome.

Although I doubt that you have some clout as a contributor to RCM as he refuses to abide the requests of HH, who is one of the main contributors still working on the mod.

Ah yeah.. good point. :/ Though I guess in all fairness, Hassat Hunter hasn't been banned either, has he?

Ah yeah.. good point. :/ Though I guess in all fairness, Hassat Hunter hasn't been banned either, has he?

Wouldn't know, I guess/hope not.

I added the relevant part of the Steam Subscriber Agreement to the FAQ of my guide btw.