About This File
This mod aims to improve the space scenes in Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. This is done both to improve the visual quality as well as the continuity between cutscenes and playable areas.
The changes made to achieve this are thus also twofold: First there are new high resolution textures provided for almost all space backdrops and then there are model changes to create more extensive edits. For a full list of what has been changed, see below (contains spoilers).
Additionally there is an optional part of the mod that brings the galaxy map appearance of some planets in line with the new backdrops. See below for installation instructions.
There are some mods by other authors that already do an amazing job at improving certain backdrops, so I did not see the need to imitate their work. Instead, I highly recommend you install those mods as well. I will list them below.
This mod is not compatible with other mods that edit the same textures or models.
Notable exceptions are TSLRCM and M4-78 EP:
- This mod overrides 222TEL15.mdl and 222TEL15.mdx provided by TSLRCM. This will replace some VISUAL ONLY! changes by TSLRCM with my version. Check the screenshots to see which one you prefer.
- Also, this mod will override 003EBOq.mdl and 003EBOq.mdx from M4-78EP. In this case my mod includes the changes done by M4-78 EP, so you can safely override those files (make a backup though).
If you have TSLRCM and/or M4-78 EP installed, go to your Override folder and make backups of 222TEL15.mdl, 222TEL15.mdx, 003EBOq.mdl and 003EBOq.mdx just in case.
Then copy all files from the "To Override" folder into your Override folder.
If you want to install the galaxy map changes as well, also copy the files from the "Optional Galaxy Map Changes" folder to your Override folder.
And finally I highly recommend you install the other backdrop improvement mods listed below.
Delete this mod's files from your Override folder and restore the backups of 222TEL15.mdl, 222TEL15.mdx, 003EBOq.mdl and 003EBOq.mdx (if you have TSLRCM and/or M4-78 EP installed).
- Improved Peragus Asteroid Fields by Vasilii Zaytsev
- Replacement Peragus II Artwork by Trench
- Telos Citadel Station Skybox by Quanon
- Alternatively you can use the TEL_Bdrp.tga and TEL_Bdrp.txi from TSL Remastered by sELFiNDUCEDcOMA
- The asteroids during the Peragus escape sequence appear out of nowhere. This is either due to my limited knowledge or due to limitations in our tools but I haven't been able to fix it yet. Should that bother you, remove 003EBOs.mdl and 003EBOs.mdx from your Override folder. Note however that you will also loose the Dxun backdrop for the Arrival at Dxun scene.
LIST OF CHANGES (SPOILERS!!!)
- High resolution textures for all star backgrounds
- High resolution texture for Peragus nebula
- Added moving asteroids visible from Administration Level
- Peragus nebula is now visible from Administration Level and Exterior
- Added additional asteroids to Exterior
- Added second nebula to Exterior
- Added Peragus with Nebula, moving asteroids and second nebula visible from Command Deck
- Added moving asteroids for Peragus escape sequence
- Improved and animated hyperspace tunnel
- Dxun and part of the blockade is visible during the first arrival at Dxun
Nar Shaddaa Goto's Yacht:
- High resolution texture for Nar Shaddaa backdrop
- Yacht exterior is now visible from the inside
- High resolution texture for Dxun and Onderon's second moon during the space battle
- High resolution ship backdrops for space battle
- High resolution Dxun and Onderon backdrop for Tobin scene
Telos Citadel Station:
- High resolution planet surface
- High resolution Ravager and Sith Fighters for final battle
- High resolution and properly placed Telos for Carth's arrival cutscene
- Full Sith fleet and part of the Republic fleet visible in Carth's arrival scene
- High resolution and properly placed Telos
- Both Sith and Republic fleet are now visible from the Ravager
- Removed nebula
- Sith fighters flying around Telos are no longer rectangles but actual Sith fighters
- Added additional lasers
- Ravager exterior is visible from the bridge
- Removed distance fog (although this is only due to limitations of my knowledge and will hopefully be reverted at some point)
This mod was created by Kexikus.
With contributions by:
- Jeroenimo (http://www.moddb.com/members/jeroenimo): Several ship models used for backdrop textures
- Kreia: Interdictor class (Leviathan) ship models
- Malkior: Additional damage detail on Ravager backdrop
The starfields were created using spacescape.
The nebula photos are taken from NASA and hubblesite.org
The planet backdrops were created with the help of the following tutorials:
- Make a Planet by Greg Martin (link no longer available)
Using cloudmaps from: http://www.shadedrelief.com/natural3/pages/clouds.html
A big thank you to Sithspecter, Quanon and Fair Strides who helped me to get into world of 3d modelling for KotOR and also thank you everyone who answered my never ending questions^^
THIS MOD IS NOT SUPPORTED BY LUCASARTS OR OBSIDIAN. USE THIS FILE AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEITHER THE AUTHOR OF THIS MOD NOR THE COMPANIES MENTIONED ABOVE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER WHEN USING THIS FILE.
What's New in Version 1.4 See changelog
- 1.0 Initial Release
- 1.1 Reenabled fog on the Ravager
- 1.2 Fixed missing fire on Ravager (thanks to bead-v and DarthParametric)
- 1.3 Fixed some more Ravager bugs (thanks to bead-v and DarthParametric)
- 1.4 Fixed black square around Peragus seen from the Harbinger (thanks to bead-v and DarthParametric)