Sign in to follow this  
Arson Hole

Steam or GOG Version?

I've been considering getting the GOG version of both KOTOR games, but I already own them on Steam. From what I've heard, both versions have pros and cons, but I'd like to hear your guys' opinions on the matter.

So which version is superior: GOG or Steam?

If you already own the games on Steam, there's no reason to repurchase them. Even if you encounter Aspyr-based bugs, the KOTOR 2 Steam version is perfectly functional if you revert to the legacypc beta, and if you don't encounter issues the Aspyr version doesn't cause auto-minimization on cutscenes, which can save quite a bit of time and doesn't necessitate manually patching in widescreen or upscaling cutscenes. That the traditional plethora of fixes is still an option on the Steam version means that you have more options with it than the GoG version.

I have both versions because I have problems running the Steam version on Windows 10.  From what I've read on other forums.  The Steam version works best with Steam Workshop mods, and has trouble with mods from other sites.  Again this is what I've read on various sites.  Don't know if it is true or not.  I can assure you the GoG version works fine with mods from various sites.  There is only one bug I've encountered.  It's when the crew is attacked by Col. Tobin's ship.  Before hitting Dxun. the game crashes after the cinematic.

Edited by Talyn82

2 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

I have both versions because I have problems running the Steam version on Windows 10.  From what I've read on other forums.  The Steam version works best with Steam Workshop mods, and has trouble with mods from other sites.  Again this is what I've read on various sites.  Don't know if it is true or not.  I can assure you the GoG version works fine with mods from various sites.  There is only one bug I've encountered.  It's when the crew is attacked by Col. Tobin's ship.  Before hitting Dxun. the game crashes after the cinematic.

It's not the case, Steam version works fine with non-Workshop mods. Indeed, that method is recommended. The Workshop isn't particularly good for modding, and only an option for KOTOR 2 anyhow.

1 minute ago, Snigaroo said:

It's not the case, Steam version works fine with non-Workshop mods. Indeed, that method is recommended. The Workshop isn't particularly good for modding, and only an option for KOTOR 2 anyhow.

Like I said tthat's just what I read.  I never tested it out myself since the Steam version does not run on my Windows 10 machine.

1 hour ago, Talyn82 said:

Like I said tthat's just what I read.  I never tested it out myself since the Steam version does not run on my Windows 10 machine.

I know, and that was why I was clarifying. Though there's no reason why the Steam version wouldn't run on Windows 10; I've only ever had a single user report an irreparable issue with Windows 10 before, and to be frank I don't really believe even that is unfixable.

• Like 1

Just throwing my two cents in, personally, it's all down to preference of which platform you wish to use. The nice thing about GOG of course is no DRM, and I feel like it's nice to have a back-up copy to fall on, in case you lose access to your Steam account or something.

From my experience with both copies, they run fine, but that varies for some people.

Considering you already own both the games on Steam, you're better off just waiting for either game to go on sale for cheap and pick it up if you feel like it (Winter/Summer/May The 4th Sales always help). Otherwise, just stick to using the Steam versions (and reverting TSL to the LegacyPC build if you have issues with the Aspyr 2015 update).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snigaroo said:

I know, and that was why I was clarifying. Though there's no reason why the Steam version wouldn't run on Windows 10; I've only ever had a single user report an irreparable issue with Windows 10 before, and to be frank I don't really believe even that is unfixable.

It's okay I meant no offense. :)

On 8/11/2018 at 5:13 AM, Talyn82 said:

The Steam version works best with Steam Workshop mods, and has trouble with mods from other sites.  Again this is what I've read on various sites.  Don't know if it is true or not.

They’re just a bit harder to install. Perhaps those people from other sites have had problems with not realizing that. It’s a bit different than installing on a wholly non-workshopped build, and the older installation instructions don’t take that into account (naturally, since it wasn’t an issue back when they were written).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LiliArch said:

They’re just a bit harder to install. Perhaps those people from other sites have had problems with not realizing that. It’s a bit different than installing on a wholly non-workshopped build, and the older installation instructions don’t take that into account (naturally, since it wasn’t an issue back when they were written).

Also I think the Steam version comes with TSLRCM installed already via the patch released by Aspyr.  So there's a plus.

16 minutes ago, Talyn82 said:

Also I think the Steam version comes with TSLRCM installed already via the patch released by Aspyr.  So there's a plus.

You would be wrong.  TSLRCM is not pre-installed but it available through the Steam Workshop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sith Holocron said:

You would be wrong.  TSLRCM is not pre-installed but it available through the Steam Workshop.

I thought I read somewhere that it was.  I was never able to check it myself, since it doesn't run on my machine.  Only the GoG and retail CD's work.  The only thing I wish the GoG version had was an up to date aspect ratio's.