VarsityPuppet

Star Wars Episode VII Discussion (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

The article did remind me that I had been hoping for better music in the movie.

BTW, anyone else think it was a bit of a waste to put Max von Sydov in the movie just to have his character immediately die without the audience having any real idea who the hell he even is?

I learned who he was via Nostalgia Critic's review.

I guess I never had any doubt that Captain Phasma would be a minor note in this movie. All the press that Gwendoline Christie did is certainly misleading though.

She is meant to have a huge role in EP. 8, So I'd say wait and see what happens. She also had some interesting roles leading up to this movie which I will not spoil for anyone

She is meant to have a huge role in EP. 8, So I'd say wait and see what happens. She also had some interesting roles leading up to this movie which I will not spoil for anyone

I guess. I prefer her in Game of Thrones.

Bear_and_maiden_fair_promo_brienne_a.png

Way more badass than Phasma

I just saw the movie tonight. I was away for work and then I went to Florida for vacation so I was away from home for just over a month. I give the movie a 3/5. I was majorly disappointed. If you want a souless cops and robbers in space being chased by Darth Tantrum then the younger and new generation will probably love this. In fact I did enjoy the first 1/3 of the movie, until the found the Falcon and then it was straight downhill from there.

It was a complete copy of A New Hope! There was nothing original about it! Where was Luke Skywalker running around the galaxy with his team of Jedi Knights kicking Sith butt? Instead we find a divorced washed up Han Solo who somehow got his ship stolen while he's a freakin General in the resistance??? This movie should have been the final mission for this trio before giving it to the female Jedi and the Wookie.

Han dies just like Ben??? I couldn't believe they were going to do that as she watches??? TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it but I miss George. He had his faults but he also had a PASSION for Star Wars. This film lacks SOUL. It is the worst film in the series and now the Star Wars universe will be forever divided by Lucus Star Wars and Disney Star Wars. I AM A PRE-DISNEY STAR WARS FAN!

The best parts of the movie were completely dropped. Who was the old man at the beginning? Why didn't the storm trooper commander take her helmet off?  Darth Spanky was the worst. I just want to slap him! What a baby! He wasn't scary at all. He was a brat having a temper tantrum. All that was missing was him jumping up and down stamping the ground in a fit. Why was he wearing that stupid helmet? What reason? He's a Vadar wannabe?

The general leading the Sith army was way too young. Generals are OLD not 20 year old boys.

They haven't rebuilt R2-D2? He should have been armoured to the teeth with jet packs and all sort of cool stuff. He looked like a tin can. He looked worse than in the original films. The droid looked so clean and like he was made in China. CHEAP!!!!

My prediction is that soon once people wake up they will realize how poor this film was. The children will love it for sure because it was a lot of action and didn't require any thinking. It was bloody brain dead!

The girl Jedi was awesome. She will become a HUGE star. She was the only good thing in the movie.... and what was up with Luke? He looked like he was on a crack bender for a few years. He should have been studying with YODA!

As far as I am concerned this movie is not cannon and I am disregarding everything that Disney does with this franchise. I am a Pre Disney Star Wars fan now. Hell I am going to watch the Star Wars Christmas special just in protest... just kidding but I am going to watch the prequels. They were better than this dribble.

It did look good and I was pleased that they used as little computer graphics as possible however the black guy was a weak point for me too. Just poor acting on the green screen. I swear it looked like a few lasers went right through him. Did anyone care that he was in a coma at the end? I didn't.

George added LORE. He was a LORE JUNKIE. There was always something mystical and hidden. This movie was missing that. It was missing the force. I could rate this a 2/5 but the girl jedi makes it a 3/5

Edited by Kate The Bionic Uterus

Read the article, I will say that most of those points are accurate,... mostly. however, doesn't stop me from loving it still

For those of you ripping on TFA for having a lot of issues of convenience and stupidity, watch this: and without nostalgia goggles (oh, and btw, yes they usually are for comedy but these are quite accurate)

It was a complete copy of A New Hope! There was nothing original about it! Where was Luke Skywalker running around the galaxy with his team of Jedi Knights kicking Sith butt? Instead we find a divorced washed up Han Solo who somehow got his ship stolen while he's a freakin General in the resistance??? This movie should have been the final mission for this trio before giving it to the female Jedi and the Wookie.

Guess defecting stormtroopers turning good, a reasonably humanized villain, and a plot that revolves around finding a missing person counts as un original for star wars.

Since when has star wars been original? --> http://www.moongadget.com/origins/myth.html this shows how much star wars practically copied mythology.

Han dies just like Ben??? I couldn't believe they were going to do that as she watches??? TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it but I miss George. He had his faults but he also had a PASSION for Star Wars. This film lacks SOUL. It is the worst film in the series and now the Star Wars universe will be forever divided by Lucus Star Wars and Disney Star Wars. I AM A PRE-DISNEY STAR WARS FAN!

This... makes no sense, why wouldn't that happen? It's motivation for Rey to be pissed at Kylo... I respect your opinion but hot damn... If you think this movie is worse than attack of the clones, then there's not much to be said there

The best parts of the movie were completely dropped. Who was the old man at the beginning? Why didn't the storm trooper commander take her helmet off?  Darth Spanky was the worst. I just want to slap him! What a baby! He wasn't scary at all. He was a brat having a temper tantrum. All that was missing was him jumping up and down stamping the ground in a fit. Why was he wearing that stupid helmet? What reason? He's a Vadar wannabe?

So was anakin, but we don't even know why he fell, second of all the old man in the beginning is probably someone who will be clarified later (anyone think he looks like Kanan from rebels?)

I'm sorry, but the rest of that post I'm just gonna leave there because it's just too mind-numbing to read, and I'd probably be a bit too hostile for your liking... Chill out and maybe watch the movie with a clear head, because that stuff sounds practically made my head hurt with how little sense it made.

And I've already said how the movie isn't a copy of a new hope.

snip

So how much is Disney paying you because you seem to refuse any issues that TFA has and usually say everyone else are making stupid arguments out of nothing... Well I think you just refuse to admit that this movie was a flop s
  • Like 1

So how much is Disney paying you because you seem to refuse any issues that TFA has and usually say everyone else are making stupid arguments out of nothing...

I wish they were paying me, because I love doing this.

"Read the article, I will say that most of those points are accurate,... mostly. however, doesn't stop me from loving it still"

You  wonder why I get condescending and then you don't bother to read what I say. I haven't said everyone is making stupid arguments, only the ones who actually do.

Now, I have said no more superweapons would be nice... R2 waking up was super convenient, Rey's sudden ability with the force also being too convenient, and the over-the-top bit of Finn standing on rey's face...really...and that there was little to no explanation on why the Republic wasn't openly fighting the First Order. Now, does that make the movie bad for me? No, I still like it.

What I'm also saying is that the original movies also had a lot of huge flaws as pointed out by the video... does that mean they are automatically bad movies? the issue I'm pointing out is double standards and hypocrisy

Well I think you just refuse to admit that this movie was a flop s

So how much is Disney paying you because you seem to refuse any issues that TFA has and usually say everyone else are making stupid arguments out of nothing... Well I think you just refuse to admit that this movie was a flop s

Oh I am glad you think so too. I didn't bother to read any of the 16 pages of posts here. I was a little worried that I would be the only one who thought the movie was pure crap. This movie will be torn apart if it is not being already. I purposely did not read, hear anything about the movie as many of my friends and family brought their children and said the loved it. I do plan on signing into my other scify and star wars sites tomorrow to see what people are saying over there but nothing will change my mind about the movie. It was regurgitated dribble and I would not pay a dollar to see it again or even waste my time seeing it for free. But then again I am 31 years old and not 21 and I guess I want my entertainment to to be of a higher standard. I am not a JJ Abrams fan at all nor am I a Disney fan nor am I a Star Wars fan. I am specifically a Pre-Disney Star Wars Fan. Shame on all of us (myself included) who chased GL away. Now look at what we got :(

Edited by Kate The Bionic Uterus
  • Like 1

Oh I am glad you think so too. I didn't bother to read any of the 16 pages of posts here. I was a little worried that I would be the only one who thought the movie was pure crap. This movie will be torn apart if it is not being already. I purposely did not read, hear anything about the movie as many of my friends and family brought their children and said the loved it. I do plan on signing into my other scify and star wars sites tomorrow to see what people are saying over there but nothing will change my mind about the movie. It was regurgitated dribble and I would not pay a dollar to see it again or even waste my time seeing it for free. But then again I am 31 years old and not 21 and I guess I want my entertainment to to be of a higher standard. I am not a JJ Abrams fan at all nor am I a Disney fan nor am I a Star Wars fan. I am specifically a Pre-Disney Star Wars Fan. Shame on all of us (myself included) who chased GL away. Now look at what we got :(

Although I disagree with you on the movie being rubbish (I do enjoy it admittinglly, because its SW), It does have many faults which hold this movie back (One of my main issues with it being that the movie doesnt stand up by itself, I was lucky enough to have read most of the material before hand so I knew what was happening in some rather confusing scenes and scenarios (Such as why the Republic is not fighting the First Order), but many people are left asking questions about stuff that has already been answered in other disney content. I also agree about this movie not being directed with the same passion GL had and they practically copied and pasted ANH and ESB storyline. this movies OST was also a little disappointing. I didnt expect it to be as good as ROTS (It doesnt matter whether or not you liked the movie, ROTS soundtrack was amazing), but its OST was the worst of the seven films (although its still good IMO))... I would place it above AOTC, TPM and ANH, but below ROTS, ROTJ and ESB (Yes, I prefer Rots to ANH)

Oh it's you again. Your "logical and compelling arguments" were nothing but whine fests that were filled with "boo hoo my EU got cut from canon, my comic books aren't canon!" and pretty much getting upset when I pointed out flaws in YOUR arguments then shutting down completely. I'm starting to believe that some of you just have problems reading in general, I never said this movie was without flaws as I have pointed it out from time to time, but the flaws you're pointing out mostly aren't even really present. You say I ignore your posts and yet you ignore mine on a consistent basis. Look back and pretty much I address each and every one of your points quite well, at least until you decided to do your whole "oh i'm clever so I'll edit my post over and over to respond to what Doctor Evil is saying when he makes a new post!" So before saying how "Dr Evil ignores me and my points and insults me!" Try thinking about that and how that actually applies to you, because I have read every single one of your posts and responded to them adequately; and when I do, usually I get "oh you're an idiot, I'm not gonna bother responding!" Meaning you can't even summize a response, and are upset because I actually do my homework. If you can't do basic reading and back your own points up with evidence (which you haven't done well at all) then you deserve to be ridiculed. This is a debate, after all, don't get upset when I point out flaws in your own argument and can actually engage in a long, well thought debate. Oh, and I do hope maybe you'll take what I said into consideration this time. If you actually read what I say and respond in kind by addressing my points, I will treat you with respect because I have done that with every one of your posts.

The hypocrisy is real.

And so far you dissenters haven't really given me a decent argument of why this movie isn't good, one of the reasons being that whenever I respond to your posts, I rarely get a full response in kind. All I'm getting is conjexture, baseless anger, and "flaws" that are either present in all of Star Wars (the convenient stuff) or "It's a rehash so it must be bad" when it's actually not a rehash if you pay attention, and the whole rehash argument can be applied to nearly every Star Wars movie. Also, Box office isn't the only way to judge a movie, but it is a factor. If a movie was garbage, it wouldn't be getting nearly the amount of money it needs. Compare TPM with TFA's box office. TPM and TFA have a huge divergence in how much money they earned, simply because TPM wasn't a good film and people said it wasn't, thus fewer people watched it as a result. With TFA, people have said it was a good film and thus people keep going to see it, and then go see it again because they like it so much. It's basic logic, you should try it sometime bub

Now, as much as I'd love to discuss me, how about now we move back onto the subject at hand, which is actually discussing the movie.

I think it's all but clear she's had some training at the time, but my hope is she doesn't know luke at all.

(sorry if my sentences run a bit, it's early over here, I'll probably go back and format them so they might be a bit easier)

Whatever you say mate! I'm done arguing over this. You and I have presented our respective points, they're there for all to see. I think we've said what we've had to and that's really all there is to it.

But as for the movie's soundtrack, I definitely agree with Haveayap, it was still clearly a brilliant piece by John Williams. However IMO it just did not hold the same emotional impact or flare that the previous soundtracks did, especially ROTS and ESB. Although having said that giving credit where credit is due, I did think that whilst most of it was not particularly memorable, at the time (whilst watching) it did increase the tension and excitement, if albeit briefly. 

• Like 1

But as for the movie's soundtrack, I definitely agree with Haveayap, it was still clearly a brilliant piece by John Williams. However IMO it just did not hold the same emotional impact or flare that the previous soundtracks did, especially ROTS and ESB. Although having said that giving credit where credit is due, I did think that whilst most of it was not particularly memorable, at the time (whilst watching) it did increase the tension and excitement, if albeit briefly. 

Oh absolutely, ROTS and ESB had star wars's finest pieces and are the best tracks yet, but despite that I still enjoyed the track for the movie. TBQH the only music track I didn't enjoy was AOTC. Other than Across the stars, most of the music was re-used from episode I and the ones they came up with were mostly bleh (I don't count the arena, because that actually wasn't used mostly until episode 3).

Like I said earlier, I think williams and Abrams tried a different perspective. Rather than setting the tone for the scene, I think they let the scenes speak for themselves with the music simply filling the gaps. It's a restrained form, and I think it worked fine. TBH I rank this track overall at 5th best, behind ROTJ but ahead of TPM.

(btw, you guys should seriously watch that cinemasins video, it points out some really glaring stuff that even I haven't noticed before even though it's for comedic purposes)

• Like 1

Haveayap and Doctor Evil, why not resist responding for a few posts and give some other people a chance to express themselves on the subject - without you two putting your 2 cents in.

• Like 1

But then again I am 31 years old and not 21 and I guess I want my entertainment to to be of a higher standard.(

So anyone who likes this movie has a lower standard of entertainment than yours? It's not just a difference of opinion?

• Like 1

So anyone who likes this movie has a lower standard of entertainment than yours? It's not just a difference of opinion?

I think you have misinterpreted what he/she was saying...

What's your interpretation?

that there are more sophisticated movies than SW TFA 

You gotta wonder how much he got paid to just stand there and turn around enigmatically...

An unspeakable amount.
  • Like 1

Just so that you know, there is a difference between loaning story elements from another storyverse, and loanind story elements from the very same storyverse, writing-wise. You can't create a truly original story in this era anymore, no matter what. It's all done before. But it doesn't mean you need to repeat the very same events that are done in the very same series before.

(Though most of the SW movies are terrible as movies, anyway.)

So this is my second post here and this is going to be a rant, believe you me it is. I am new to this forum but I am by no means new to this scene. I have been playing Kotor and Kotor II when they were first released and at one point I created the first subtle darkside transitions mod for TSL which was hosted on pcgamingmods when that was still around. And I felt the need to vent my anger at this travesty of a new Star Wars chapter in the community of Star Wars fans. By no means is this movie bad in its execution, I wasn't bored watching but as with Star Trek a movie that is executed well by no means makes it a good movie in the franchise. For me this is the worst possible betrayal of George Lucas's vision of Star Wars and I am by no means surprised by the perpetrator after all he did the same thing to Gene Roddenberry's franchise as well.

Where do I even begin? I guess with the known and beloved characters. Nothing Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando, Admiral Ackbar, Mon Mothma, Wedge Antilles etc. did matters. 30 years have passed and we have basically the same situation again. I do not care if you call this a gross oversimplification, if the situation lends itself to make A New Hope BIGGER, LOUDER, FASTER Edition with sprinkles of Empire and Return it is the same thing. At least in the EU after the Emperor's death there was a real hope that things would get better which made sense but noooooo we need to keep the status quo here.

This movie turns all returning characters into fuckups. Luke tried to get the Jedi going again, failed and than went sulkely into exile. That is just not his personality at all and therefore is a betrayal.

Leia for some stupid reason isn't part of the government where she belongs but the general of this new Resistance of the First Order. For crying out loud why didn't she develop here latent force abilities? She would have been the logic choice as Luke's first student just as it happened in the EU, but because it was in the EU we can't have that now can we?

Han Solo is either nearly 70 years old or he is 70 years old and he is still smuggling stuff and is indebted to aholes across the galaxy WTF? Another character that should have progressed in the story to be something different. I mean he is the hero and respected general who led the planetary assault to take down the 2nd Death Stars shield. This character would have realised his smuggling days are DONE. He doesn't need to do it ANYMORE. He has a greater and better calling than this but no we need to tickle that nostalgia bone. There can be no logical char progression if we want to create ANH 2.0. This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Han Solo taking Chewie's bowcaster using it and than gushing all over this thing is stupid beyond believe in two ways. The first is that a wookie bowcaster needs a wookies strength to be operated but Abrams wouldn't be Abrams if that mattered to him. The second is that Han has been around Chewies bowcaster for about 50 years or more. He has seen that thing countless times in action. Why would he ever be surprised about its capabilities? Han takes the mentor role of our female protagonist and of course just as the mentor in ANH he has to die. Harrison Ford most likely only agree to return to kill Han off as well. There was zero emotional impact when it finally happened. You saw it coming from the getgo and because of that it has no weight.

Chewie is with Han of course and that is fine. His rage when Han gets killed is one of the better scenes in this awful flick.

Where the hell is Lando Calrissian?

With the old chars done lets get to the new ones.

Finn is a weird mix for me between an Eddy Murphy character, a coward, and somehow still able to kick some butt and it doesn't work at all. His two fights with Anakin's lightsaber are laughable and ludicrous. Somebody without a connection to the force is more likely to cut off his own limps than somebody elses. Because of its weird properties like the blade having no noticeable weight a Jedi needs to use the force to wield a lightsaber effectively. That is also why during lightsaber fights not many force abilities are ever used, because the Jedi is already occupied with wielding his lightsaber. That's why I despise these two scenes with all my heart. A prime example of Abrams pissing all over established lore again which he mastered to a degree seldom witnessed.

Poe had a good beginning which was than subsequently destroyed by his deus ex machine reappearance. Oh I got lost in the desert and than I was picked up. Really? His pilot abilities are so great that the dog fight scenes with the TIE-fighters turn into a parody. One maneuver, three destroyed TIEs BOOM BOOM BOOM. In this new Star Wars Wedges abilities are just not good enough, Wedge you suck to much for ANH BIGGER LOUDER FASTER! His buddy buddy thing with Finn has no time to develop and literally comes out of nowhere.

Kylo Ren *sigh* what a pathetic replacement as a main villian. When things don't go his way he hacks ship consoles a part with a lightsaber like some kindergarden child's temper tandrum. I also laughed when he removed his mask and the face of Adam Driver appeared. A lot of people critize his mask wearing just for being a Vader rip-off. I am actually fine with it, he desperately needs the mask to have any kind of intimidation factor. As soon as the mask came off he was no more than an unconvincing Dark Side user. As for his Vader worship, did nobody tell him the whole story of Anakin Skywalker. He says "I am going to finish what you began grandfather" but his grandfather redeemed himself for the love of a son and gave up on the Dark Side business. This guy isn't aware of that fact? Also gets beat by a non force user and one with zero or barely any training while himself being trained his whole life. Adam Driver convinced me in no scene without a helmet that he was a Dark side force user. He always looked confused and never managed to display aggression at any point in the movie. Haiden Christensen managed to do that quite convincingly. Even when he stabs his father Kylo still looks confused, in doubt and whiny even when he is saying that things are now clear for him. We are suppossed to be afraid of this guy?

And now for the main event the female heroine of this whole deal. I have to preface this by saying i LIKE strong female characters, because somebody might accuse me of hating it just for that but that couldn't be further from the truth. When it was announced that the exile would be canonically a female I was very happy with that particular decision. Kreia is my favorite fictional mentor character of all time. My favorite playthrough is female exile with a female mentor so if you accuse me of misogyni you are wrong. But Rey must be the queen of Mary Sue characters. The mans name is JeffREY Jacob Abrams and if you still think that has nothing to do with her wondrous abilities i can't help you.

Rey gets everything handed to her without any or very little explanation. Never flown a spaceship in her life, but can pilot the Falcon in a dogfight in a way that makes Han Solo green with envy. Can repair the Falcon better than Han as well although he has known this ship for about 50 years. Is an expert in hand to hand combat and staff combat which somehow ludicrously translates to her also being able to fight competently with a lightsaber. As I already stated with Finn it wouldn't translate at all. Learns to shoot a blaster like an expert in 10 seconds flat. Can just selfteach herself force abilities of high order like the Jedi mindtrick while just recently being told that Jedi actually existed. Before thinking they were a myth. Rips a lightsaber straight out of a forcegrip of a way more experienced and trained force user. It isn't even a struggle for the saber it just flies straight into her hand with no effort whatsoever. Beats said force user (I know he is wounded, I still won't let it go) in a saber fight with either no or so little training that it would hardly help her.
Yes I am aware that people theorize that she received training prior to having been dropped of at Tatoo... excuse me Jakku. As I said it would be logically so little that it doesn't matter. Her memory clearly showed that she was youngling age when she was dropped of at Jakku without any guardian like a true Spartan. Do you remember Yoda's youngling class and what they did with a lightsaber? Waving the lightsaber around from left to right a bit with the training drone set to lowest level. THAT is the kind of training Rey would have logically received at that point which makes perfect sense. A child so young needs to still get the hang of the physical world and therefore understanding spiritual or metaphysical concepts of high order is very VERY unrealistic, but he wouldn't be Abrams if he cared about any of that.

Anakin was the chosen one and he also needed to be trained in the force. Before that he had the untrained abilities. Luke also needed to be trained. He as well possessed the untrained abilities. But no not this little snowflake. She is after all a veiled Disney princess and those excel at stuff for no apparent reason. Aside from the female lead she is also the male lead as well. When Finn grabbed her hand to run she refused to do it after all we need to drive the point home that little miss perfect is a strong female who needs not depend on silly males. But when she takes his hand it is fine. The characters went to her rescue but our little Mary Sue wouldn't be a Mary Sue if she didn't just free herself before anyone can help her. Strong independent female needs no help from anybody. Notice that the male leads which took her role previously pretty often required help or got their butts kicked badly. If you by now think I hate this new Disney princess you are completely right, but I am completely Dark Side when it comes to this whole movie.

On the overall plot the search for Luke Skywalker is just a thin veil to tell ANH again with a bit of Empire and Return. How this movie blatantly copies that plot has already been discussed here so I don't need to repeat it myself. Why so many people are willing to give this movie a pass is utterly mind boggling to me. Never in the history of ever to my knowledge has a franchise ripped of its own story so shamelessly. The prequels also contain nods to the original, like Padme putting a blanket on Anakin the way Leia did to Luke. But in this movie it is like being hit with the steel pan of nostalgia all the time. Remember this? *BANG* You liked that a lot didn't you? *BANG* AND THIS *BANG* AND THIS *BANG* AND ALSO THIS!!!!!!!!!!11111

On Anakin's lightsaber (yes Anakin's, he built it and fought through a good bit of the Clone Wars with it. A lightsaber is a personal weapon after all.)
What is it even doing in this Cantina? For all we know it should have disintegrated while falling to the "surface" of Bespin. And furthermore why can every idiot that goes backstage just open that box and leave with that thing? That door wasn't even locked.

I don't blame Kasdan for this mess. I think he had no leeway whatsoever. They told him to write an ANH copy and he did. I do blame him for accepting the job. Orci and Kurtzman would have sufficed to write this dreg.

To sum it all up The Farce Awakens is a great action movie and a terrible entry in the Star Wars story, as Black Flag is a great pirate's game but a terrible Assassin's Creed and Into Darkness is another great action movie but an atrocious Star Trek movie. At least the Star Trek fanbase recognized it for what it is.

I'd rather have seen an adaptation (NOTE ADAPTATION not a copy) of Heirs to the Empire. That would have been awesome me thinks.

• Like 3