Xuul

Why it's not okay to upload someone else's mods

Also flagged the mod. Added the caveat of suggesting he be banned from the workshop altogether for being a repeat offender. Stupid people will be stupid.

Is this actually against Steam Workshop rules, though?

Pretty much the only way to make Valve do anything about it is by lodging a DMCA takedown notice, but you can only do that if it concerns copyrighted material and you are the copyright holder. Otherwise, as with basically everything else about Steam, they will most probably never lift a finger.

Is this actually against Steam Workshop rules, though?

It is. The Steam Terms of Service explicitly say that everything you upload to the workshop has to be your work. So the upload is a violation of those terms and can be reported.

• Like 1

I posted the following, which he repeatedly removed:

"IF YOU ARE THE OWNER OF THIS CONTENT AND YOU WANT IT REMOVED BECAUSE YOU WANT TO UPLOAD IT YOURSELF" You edited the last part into the disclaimer, didn't you? I'd appreciate if you didn't remove my posts calling you out as you have no reason to do so.

If all rights belong to the original owner, as your disclaimer still says, you should take this down if the original author wants it gone.

The original file can be downloaded at DeadlyStream

with a link to the original file included.

I'm really wondering what exactly his deal is.

• Like 1

He seems to be of the opinion, "It's not on the Workshop! It should be there, so I must put it there!"

I mean, why even put that disclaimer there if you're not going to follow it?

• Like 1

I posted the following, which he repeatedly removed:

with a link to the original file included.

I'm really wondering what exactly his deal is.

Flagged by me as well.

Probably a reason why he changed that disclaimer later...

Which is such a slimy move that it actually manages to infuriate me.

Edit: I just noticed that he removed my comment yet again and I am now unable to comment anymore. So I guess he banned me from doing so. I can't comment on any of the files he uploaded.

Unbelievable.

I just reported him too. Didn't bother to comment, considering that he can't seem to deal with criticism of any kind. Kinda wonder how many problems the people who just download every mod from the workshop will run into.

I've reported it as well, and honestly, if Valve isn't going to take care of the original authors, I have a few ideas for serious retaliation.

I've reported it as well, and honestly, if Valve isn't going to take care of the original authors, I have a few ideas for serious retaliation.

Don't stoop too low. To their level for example.

I would advise against any sort of "retaliation". That includes posting insults or the like on the Steam forums. All you are going to do is give modders a bad name. Stick to reporting the mod via the official channels.

I would advise against any sort of "retaliation". That includes posting insults or the like on the Steam forums. All you are going to do is give modders a bad name. Stick to reporting the mod via the official channels.

Well you can still comment on it saying it's stolen content, can't you?

(As long as you keep your cool)

Perhaps someone at Steam can be contacted about this issue? Someone who the team worked with for this recent collaboration?

Well you can still comment on it saying it's stolen content, can't you?

(As long as you keep your cool)

Well that's the thing, isn't it? If people start harassing this guy or others, it's probably going to have the opposite effect, including having moderators come out in his favour. I would suggest not engaging with them at all, and sticking to reporting all reposted mods. There may be other official channels to pursue beyond that if it doesn't bring any action.

This seems pretty level-headed to me

lJQfXsv.png

Took a screenshot because I'm sure the comment will be deleted

I reported all the files uploaded without permission. Does flagging even do anything?

Does flagging even do anything?

Valve move at a glacial pace. I wouldn't be expecting some sort of instant response. I doubt anything will happen until business hours Mon-Fri, unless they have palmed off responsibility for it to volunteer staff.

I reported all the files uploaded without permission. Does flagging even do anything?

Enough flags on it, maybe something happens?

I think your only choice, Hassat Hunter, is to upload the mod yourself. Then you can force him to make good on his disclaimer and take down the mod. He certainly can't say "Well I uploaded your mod first, so you need to take yours down." Can he?

Since it is Steam though, I'm inclined to think that they don't care...

Or give someone else the permission to do so? Idk.

Well that's the thing, isn't it? If people start harassing this guy or others, it's probably going to have the opposite effect, including having moderators come out in his favour. I would suggest not engaging with them at all, and sticking to reporting all reposted mods. There may be other official channels to pursue beyond that if it doesn't bring any action.

I can see where you're coming from.

With kotorfiles dead, and many mods lost, I'd argue that preserving them somewhere would be a good idea, otherwise all the effort of the modder/modders is lost, and the mod is nowhere to be found.

It only benefits both parties if the modder/s are given due credit, and the mod isn't preserved somewhere, altough this only applies on the case if the mod is nowhere to be found, and no contact with the modder is avaible.

(I'm not stupid enough to break the rules of this site doing that, but it's my personal opinion)

Altough on the case of someone stealing the mods right from Deadlystream, nexus or other site, yeah, that moron probably needs to be flagged to the max.