TheDarkChocolateJedi

Name your favorite game that isn't Star Wars!

Fallout 3 is my favorite game of all time, I also really like New Vegas. I've tried playing Fallout 1 and 2 but I absolutely hate the gameplay. I just can't get into it, everytime I try I just give up.

I really like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games and kind of related, the Metro series as well.

The early Tony Hawk Pro Skaters and Tony Hawk Undergrounds.

BioShock, all three are great.

Bloodborne.

TES IV, hated TES V.

Rocket League.

Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 2. Simply because of the memories I have playing them.

Fallout 3 is my favorite game of all time, I also really like New Vegas. I've tried playing Fallout 1 and 2 but I absolutely hate the gameplay. I just can't get into it, everytime I try I just give up.

I really like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games and kind of related, the Metro series as well.

The early Tony Hawk Pro Skaters and Tony Hawk Undergrounds.

BioShock, all three are great.

Bloodborne.

TES IV, hated TES V.

Rocket League.

Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 2. Simply because of the memories I have playing them.

well said friend.

Interesting, you like fallout 1 and 2 more than 3 and new vegas? Wow I have never heard that before congrats! Is fallout 1 and 2 worth trying? I mean it doesn't look very good but I could be wrong.

Generally speaking, if you played 1 and 2 before 3 and new vegas you'll probably hate 3 and feel meh about new vegas. If you played 3 and new vegas first it'll be extremely hard to get into the first 2.

It's somewhat similiar to kotor and tor. They put the same name/franchise on it, but they have little in common (especially gameplay wise). You can try to play them if you like, but chances are that it'll be extremely hard to get into them. If you like 90's western rpgs though, the first 2 are excellent games for their time.

Generally speaking, if you played 1 and 2 before 3 and new vegas you'll probably hate 3 and feel meh about new vegas. If you played 3 and new vegas first it'll be extremely hard to get into the first 2.

It's somewhat similiar to kotor and tor. They put the same name/franchise on it, but they have little in common (especially gameplay wise). You can try to play them if you like, but chances are that it'll be extremely hard to get into them. If you like 90's western rpgs though, the first 2 are excellent games for their time.

This! I'm a huge Fallout fan since 1998, so FO3 for me is an abomination. Bethesda has NO IDEA how to make a proper Fallout. It's not Fallout, it's another TES in post-nuclear decorations. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just should not have been called Fallout 3.

New Vegas looks like FO3, but inside it's a completely different game. Obsidian at least treats FO universe with some kind of respect. It's much closer to 1&2.

I'm VERY sceptical about upcoming FO4, knowing that Beth develops it.

• Like 1

This! I'm a huge Fallout fan since 1998, so FO3 for me is an abomination. Bethesda has NO IDEA how to make a proper Fallout. It's not Fallout, it's another TES in post-nuclear decorations. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just should not have been called Fallout 3.

New Vegas looks like FO3, but inside it's a completely different game. Obsidian at least treats FO universe with some kind of respect. It's much closer to 1&2.

I'm VERY sceptical about upcoming FO4, knowing that Beth develops it.

Hey what about new vegas? I heard new vegas had a lot more original fallout 1 and 2 involvement than fallout 3 did am i correct?

In a manner of speaking, yes. It still plays like shooter, but the world, quests and atmosphere are far closer to the FO1&2. It's also possible to meet some characters from FO2 and hear a lot about what the Chosen One (protagonist in FO2) did ;)

in no particular order:

Xenosaga 1&3

Chrono Trigger

Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Dwarf Fortress

Dragon age Origins

Final Fantasy 7&10

Mass effect 1-3

Serra City building games

X3:TC

Total Annialation

Supreme Commander

Homeworld1&2

Sins of a solar empire

Neverwinter nights2

D&D online

Infinite Space

Final Fantasy Tactics

Galactic Civ 2

Age of Empires 1&2

Age of Mythology

Age of wonders 2

Planescape Torment

You know what? i have trouble deciding what my favorite *genre* is..RPG..no..Sim..no..RTT?..no..4x....

Oh man...

It's really impossible for me to pick one. I think I can put the KOTOR games as my top 2, but beyond that, it just depends on how I feel.

At the risk of showing how incredibly un-modern my gaming tastes are, some of the ones I really like are:

Civilization III

Pharaoh (city-building sim)

Zeus (see above)

Team Fortress 2 (only recently)

Oh man...

It's really impossible for me to pick one. I think I can put the KOTOR games as my top 2, but beyond that, it just depends on how I feel.

At the risk of showing how incredibly un-modern my gaming tastes are, some of the ones I really like are:

Civilization III

Pharaoh (city-building sim)

Zeus (see above)

Team Fortress 2 (only recently)

Team fortress is awesome! Not to mention i really think the civilization games are cool. But if they could have a bit more... Customization I think it'd be better!

Team fortress is awesome! Not to mention i really think the civilization games are cool. But if they could have a bit more... Customization I think it'd be better!

Not exactly sure what you mean by customization... with Civ III at least, a LOT of stuff can be changed around with the mission editor.

Do you regularly play TF2? If so, maybe you should friend me on Steam.

No Order Here:

Half Life 1 - Half Life 2 is freaking fantastic, but the game that started it all is still my favorite as it innovated the shooter genre. I'm waiting to play it once again since Black Mesa hasn't been wrapped up yet, but I have hopes it will before next year is out.

Mass Effect 1 - Flawed but epic, This was perhaps Bioware's last great game. TOR was garbage, Mass Effect 2 was a letdown, DA2 was bland as crap, and ME3 was garbage all around. Mass Effect isn't your typical RPG, but it definitely set itself out as one, as well as being the best sci-fi space game out there. It's just a damn shame that EA took the reigns of Bioware and forced them to cater to the shooter crowd. As for what made it good, it truly made it feel as you were in space rather than just running around pew pewing everything. I won't go into detail of what ME2 ruined right now, but if your curious I'll go into detail on another post

Fallout: New Vegas - 3 was fun, but it wasn't a true RPG, more of just an action open world game like Skyrim is. Obsidian took what Bethesda did and made it that much better, plus their excellent dialogue writing and wonderful DLC and this game is quite possibly my favorite RPG ever made, and speaking of Obsidian

Star Wars: KoTOR 2 - I liked Kotor 1, but not as much as everyone else did. The dialogue was so cheesy at times it made me cringe and some of the characters they forced on us didn't read well on me. Obsidian took that part out and made every character feel real, and made Star Wars feel a lot more real than it ever has. It changed from the classic light/dark dichotomy to a more complex plot. Shame that it wasn't finished initially, but the TSLRCM team got the job done

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Never played one since I never could get it working, but I really loved DX:HR and am excited for Mankind Divided.

Tribes - Yeah, i'm one of those. I still love the classic shooter style, and tribes was my absolute favorite

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of others

My Top 7 are:

1. Witcher 3  - the storytelling is -literally- shockingly good; every decision matters in a way ive never encountered before, and the atmosphere is breathtaking 

2. Witcher 2  - fascinating dialogues, atmosphere

3. Mass Effect 2  - the reaper story wasnt the most creative one, but  the character designs, art style and combat system & soundtrack was just sensational.

4. Oblivion - aside from the boring landscape the quests were one of the best ive ever played 

5. Neverwinter Nights 2 Addon: Mask of the Betrayer - very dark, epic story; oldschool but good written 

6. Skyrim - the quests are nowhere near the creativity & depth of Oblivion, but with mods it was lots of fun.

7. Dark Souls 1 - the Leveldesign & Combat is refreshingly different and undoubtly the most exiting one, but  the lack of a good story with its twists & turns and epic cutscenes seriously affects the experience.

No Order Here:

Half Life 1 - Half Life 2 is freaking fantastic, but the game that started it all is still my favorite as it innovated the shooter genre. I'm waiting to play it once again since Black Mesa hasn't been wrapped up yet, but I have hopes it will before next year is out.

Mass Effect 1 - Flawed but epic, This was perhaps Bioware's last great game. TOR was garbage, Mass Effect 2 was a letdown, DA2 was bland as crap, and ME3 was garbage all around. Mass Effect isn't your typical RPG, but it definitely set itself out as one, as well as being the best sci-fi space game out there. It's just a damn shame that EA took the reigns of Bioware and forced them to cater to the shooter crowd. As for what made it good, it truly made it feel as you were in space rather than just running around pew pewing everything. I won't go into detail of what ME2 ruined right now, but if your curious I'll go into detail on another post

Fallout: New Vegas - 3 was fun, but it wasn't a true RPG, more of just an action open world game like Skyrim is. Obsidian took what Bethesda did and made it that much better, plus their excellent dialogue writing and wonderful DLC and this game is quite possibly my favorite RPG ever made, and speaking of Obsidian

Star Wars: KoTOR 2 - I liked Kotor 1, but not as much as everyone else did. The dialogue was so cheesy at times it made me cringe and some of the characters they forced on us didn't read well on me. Obsidian took that part out and made every character feel real, and made Star Wars feel a lot more real than it ever has. It changed from the classic light/dark dichotomy to a more complex plot. Shame that it wasn't finished initially, but the TSLRCM team got the job done

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Never played one since I never could get it working, but I really loved DX:HR and am excited for Mankind Divided.

Tribes - Yeah, i'm one of those. I still love the classic shooter style, and tribes was my absolute favorite

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of others

I definetly agree with you about. K2!!! K2 is and always will be my favorite game of all time!!! The writing is spectacular, the characters felt broken, dark, and relateable! But K1 and it's characters felt less relateable and real... They felt more like perfect Hollywood characters. Still love K1 though. Check out my Key differences between K1 and TSL... Thread if you'd like to share your kotor opinions!

My list goes something like this (No particular order)

1) Skyrim

2) Age of empires 1, 2, and 3

3) Homeworld 1 and 2

4) Call of Duty 3

5) Call of Duty: MW2 

6) Morrowind

7) Rise of Nations

8) Final fantasy (entire series)

9) Jak 1, 2 and 3

10) K1 and K2

11) SWBF 1 and 2

12) Jedi Knight series

13) SW: EAW

14) Doom 2 (forgot to put it on)

to name a few of my all time favorites 

• Like 1

#1. Half - Life - not only HL2 and episodes but classics as well. Great game, one of first I've ever played. Atmospheric, sometimes scary, force you to think (HL focuses on exploration and "solving puzzles" if you know what I mean). Game has very interesting storyline, good looking areas (or "maps" if you like) and awesome heroes (including interactive companion Alyx Wince of course, btw. it was good idea to create this person, game wouldn't be the same without her). I must say that Valve has created something absolutely special, game for few generations of players, full of ester eggs, uniqe and unforgetable. Must Have for all FPS lovers. 

#2. Gothic Saga (All parts with addons except Arcania which imho isn't rally Gothic game...) - Absolutely one of best RPGs ever. Spent many evenings with this game. You can never be bored playing it, no matter how many times you already finished it. Addictive storyline, thoughtful NPCs, a lot of weaponry and armory, nice gameplay. What else could you need? Good thing is that there is a lot of great mods for all Gothic games. Gothic is awesome even without mods, no doubt, it's obvious, but thrust me, there is many really good mods that every fan of Gothic should try. I call that good feature.   

#3. Black Mesa Source - It's actually standalone mod for Half-Life 2. And one of greates FPS I've ever seen. Can't wait for Guard Duty or Operation Black Mesa (if they will be finished). If someone haven't seen it yet, he definetly should check it out. Interesting is fact that this mod has been finished after ~9 years of working on it. Whole classic Half Life was moved to Source engine (but textures and effects are little bit better than in Half-Life 2). Some areas were modified, some completely changed, but final effect is glorious. I must say it was worth to wait so long for release. 

#4. Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas - another great RPGs.I always loved this huge opened world with great areas and landscapes, a lot of quests, exploration, these are the strongest points of both games. Bethesda exactly knows how to make player keep playing for tens of hours without even a moment of boredom or marasmus. Post apocalyptic climate has been rightly presented, I enjoyed it, possibility of gaining XP, learning many skills, perks, killing mutants (and not olny), tbh visiting some of these dark and scary places can provoke heart attack... awesome gaming guaranteed.

#5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Al three parts are good. First - Shadow if Chernobyl, second - Clear Sky and third - Call of Prypiat. I suggest to play all of them. Very climatic games. West Europe realities of ~70's are mapped perfectly. Game world is really huge, abounded factories or laboratories are really creepy. Trading with NPC, a lot of guns, many types of monsters, unlineal storyline and 7 possible ways to finnish the game. You cannot ask for more. For those who wanna play this game not for a first time, you can also pay your attention for mods. There is few great mods like Oblivion Lost that can make this game much more complicated and difficult.  

Other great games worth to play it: 

• Mass Effect 
  • Europa Universalis 
  • Hearts of Iron
  • Blitzkrieg
  • Warhammer 40000
  • Commandos
  • Postal
  • Star Wars Republic Commando
  • Bloodrayne
  • Oblivion
  • Deus Ex
  • Dead Space 
  • Fable
  • Max Payne

Sorry for my english. It's not my first language. 

#1. Half - Life - not only HL2 and episodes but classics as well. Great game, one of first I've ever played. Atmospheric, sometimes scary, force you to think (HL focuses on exploration and "solving puzzles" if you know what I mean). Game has very interesting storyline, good looking areas (or "maps" if you like) and awesome heroes (including interactive companion Alyx Wince of course, btw. it was good idea to create this person, game wouldn't be the same without her). I must say that Valve has created something absolutely special, game for few generations of players, full of ester eggs, uniqe and unforgetable. Must Have for all FPS lovers. 

#2. Gothic Saga (All parts with addons except Arcania which imho isn't rally Gothic game...) - Absolutely one of best RPGs ever. Spent many evenings with this game. You can never be bored playing it, no matter how many times you already finished it. Addictive storyline, thoughtful NPCs, a lot of weaponry and armory, nice gameplay. What else could you need? Good thing is that there is a lot of great mods for all Gothic games. Gothic is awesome even without mods, no doubt, it's obvious, but thrust me, there is many really good mods that every fan of Gothic should try. I call that good feature.   

#3. Black Mesa Source - It's actually standalone mod for Half-Life 2. And one of greates FPS I've ever seen. Can't wait for Guard Duty or Operation Black Mesa (if they will be finished). If someone haven't seen it yet, he definetly should check it out. Interesting is fact that this mod has been finished after ~9 years of working on it. Whole classic Half Life was moved to Source engine (but textures and effects are little bit better than in Half-Life 2). Some areas were modified, some completely changed, but final effect is glorious. I must say it was worth to wait so long for release. 

#4. Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas - another great RPGs.I always loved this huge opened world with great areas and landscapes, a lot of quests, exploration, these are the strongest points of both games. Bethesda exactly knows how to make player keep playing for tens of hours without even a moment of boredom or marasmus. Post apocalyptic climate has been rightly presented, I enjoyed it, possibility of gaining XP, learning many skills, perks, killing mutants (and not olny), tbh visiting some of these dark and scary places can provoke heart attack... awesome gaming guaranteed.

#5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Al three parts are good. First - Shadow if Chernobyl, second - Clear Sky and third - Call of Prypiat. I suggest to play all of them. Very climatic games. West Europe realities of ~70's are mapped perfectly. Game world is really huge, abounded factories or laboratories are really creepy. Trading with NPC, a lot of guns, many types of monsters, unlineal storyline and 7 possible ways to finnish the game. You cannot ask for more. For those who wanna play this game not for a first time, you can also pay your attention for mods. There is few great mods like Oblivion Lost that can make this game much more complicated and difficult.  

Other great games worth to play it: 

• Mass Effect 
  • Europa Universalis 
  • Hearts of Iron
  • Blitzkrieg
  • Warhammer 40000
  • Commandos
  • Postal
  • Star Wars Republic Commando
  • Bloodrayne
  • Oblivion
  • Deus Ex
  • Dead Space 
  • Fable
  • Max Payne

Sorry for my english. It's not my first language. 

Europa universalis is great also... Brilliant game

Prince of Persia (all of 'em from SoT onwards)

Total War (all of 'em)

Tomb Raider (ditto)

Etrian Odyssey

Tony Hawk's series (Pro-Skater 4 through American Wasteland)

Pokemon (in general)

Robot Arena 2

Skyrim and Oblivion (going to play morrowind soon)

007: Nightfire and 007: Everything or Nothing

GTA:San Andreas

no particular order here.

It's difficult to pick one, but I think I'll go with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

• Like 1

Hello Neighbor! The Sims 2 (Xbox) MySims (PC) Minecraft (PC And Xbox) Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One) Destroy all humans 1 (xbox) and Destroy All Humans 2 (ps2) EDIT Oh and Skyrim (Xbox360) and all the Fallouts.

Edited by thetruerevan75

Morrowind

Fallout: New Vegas

Oblivion, especially the Shivering Isles

Skyrim

Fallout 4

Jade Empire

The first Mass Effect

TSL with some qualification. Sorry, I love it as a game, and the characters, and all the cool stuff, but I hate it as a sequel to KOTOR 1

All time favorite, toss up between Morrowind and KOTOR 1