VarsityPuppet

Malachor VI: An Ending Mod

Yeah episode 3 had to be moved to a more surprising day. Blame me for leaking the original release date.

Seriously this mod needs to be resurrected, I'll even help if I can.

I'd offer help, too, but I have lots of issues right now that are school related, so I can't help.

Yeah episode 3 had to be moved to a more surprising day. Blame me for leaking the original release date.

April 1st? And when it's uploaded it's going to be a 15 min vid of sad violin music slowly zooming into Carth's face and April 2nd the real one will be released.

I'd offer help, too, but I have lots of issues right now that are school related, so I can't help.

When the mod was discontinued the mod was released as a source code to the public. It isn't playable, and it's buggy, the mod can be resurrected at any point but only with modders who know what their doing and Varsity Puppet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When the mod was discontinued the mod was released as a source code to the public. It isn't playable, and it's buggy, the mod can be resurrected at any point but only with modders who know what their doing and Varsity Puppet.

I take it that you're a modder that knows what he's doing, then.

April 1st? And when it's uploaded it's going to be a 15 min vid of sad violin music slowly zooming into Carth's face and April 2nd the real one will be released.

Funny. You spoiled the April 1st surprise but I still want to see it. :D

Funny. You spoiled the April 1st surprise but I still want to see it. :D

Spoiled it? That was intended to be a question and the whole Carth thing was a joke (Still, doing what I suggested would be a good April Fools) perhaps I shouldn't of worded it in the way I did. Just to clarify, I'm not in the Malachor VI dev team so I wouldn't know the actual release date.

I take it that you're a modder that knows what he's doing, then.

Not completely, While I wouldn't mind helping a second attempt on Malachor VI but with my current level of modding tackling the source of Malachor VI alone would be a waste of time because 1: The modders who made Malachor VI are gods of modding compared to me so what may seem like an easy fix to them would be frustratingly hard for me. 2: Malachor VI has things like animated Camera's, Remodels, animations and stuff that are all in the "difficult to pull off" side of modding so if I made a new scene it'd look horribly freakish compared to the other stuff and 3: The source has a bunch of Garbage files which would need to be separated from Malachor VI which may take a while and some files inside the source are locked so only Varsity would know how to unlock them.

Though while I won't be taking over Malachor VI today modding is always a learning experience and maybe one day I may give it a shot... or Varsity may decide to finish it before that day, we never know.

Though while I won't be taking over Malachor VI today modding is always a learning experience and maybe one day I may give it a shot... or Varsity may decide to finish it before that day, we never know.

I'd put more money on you taking over before VP finished it.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Just wanted to repost this, in case anyone was looking for it. Took me about an hour and a half, mostly reading posts from old familiar names from LF. Nice nostalgia trip :)

The codebase for this WIP is here: https://github.com/VarsityPuppet/Malachor-VI

It would be nice if it were edited into the OP, but at this point I'm just glad they left the code up.

This will be a fun rabbit hole.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:33 PM, zbyl2 said:

WHO'S EXCITED FOR EPISODE 3?

My sources tell me it's coming tomorrow.

lol

• Haha 1
  • Dark Side Points 3

Kinda disappointed that it's been by all appearances orphaned. After looking at the two post-mortem videos and the "party attacks Kreia" sequence, I feel like it would've been a incredible conclusion to the last chapter of the story.

• Sad 2

Would it be possible (that is, much much easier than actually finishing the mod) just to salvage some of the already working parts of this and release them? I'm thinking of the opening sequence with T3 on the crashed Ebon Hawk, which based on the post-mortem videos looks great, and the Remote-as-party-member bit, which would clean up that portion of the game. Maybe some other little things could be included as well. 

I'm not much of a modder though, so forgive me if this is an unfeasible idea.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 2

Out of curiosity why is it so difficult for this mod to be complete? is it more difficult than TSLRCM? or is the payoff too little for the amount of work?

The problem is that there is so little content left in the files, most importantly very little character VO's. So that meant having to use other means to drive the story, using new characters or droids/aliens/computers, and other means (eg. camera recordings with no sound). Another problem is that there are many possible scenarios (some characters may be dead, etc.), and many of these weren't ever really fleshed out. That's because it often wasn't clear if it was possible to achieve what was necessary for what we wanted. We also wanted to include a new area, which IIRC we could never get working correctly because the tools weren't able to handle it at the time.

We really went for quality and paid attention to every detail, but that meant that there was a lot that was either very hard to achieve or not possible at the time.

Because of the new tools, many things would be easier now, but a lot would still be very hard and it would take a LOT of work if your goal is the sense of closure and completeness that we wanted to give to K2's ending (as opposed to just a buffed up ending that still feels incomplete). And I guess this is the answer to your question. It wasn't just restoring/adding content, it was doing it in such a way that it feels complete. MVI was different from TSLRCM in that this wasn't part of TSLRCM's goals.

I personally don't have anywhere near the time to pick up even projects way smaller than this. Maybe someday someone will, who knows.

I just finished my studies and got a stable job which only requires 40 hours a week of my time, been looking for some hobbies outside of what I usually do and KotOR 2 is probably my favorite work of fiction. I'm seriously thinking about learning to mod and finish this mod. Does modding this particular type of content require anything other than time and focus? Can a noob with plenty of free time and willing to learn complete this? Or is there a skill check so to speak?

13 hours ago, MAQS said:

Can a noob with plenty of free time and willing to learn complete this?

Newbies picking up giant projects, it never works out (statistically, no offense meant). I'd suggest you set your goals lower and do some smaller mods first, and then ask yourself again if you're willing to do it when you have more experience. I also doubt one person alone could do it without getting overwhelmed.

• Light Side Points 1

Strange so it would appear someone has picked up work on this it's apart of a modpack called The Kotor Global Mod Pack. It's subtitled in Russian but the audio is English. Anyone know anything about this? As far as I can tell from translating the Russian on the modpack website the modpack is in a completed state meaning he somehow got this mod finished. Here's the new room I have no idea what's going on inside it but it looks very cool. 

Ah, it's a Fanssciw's rendition of Malachor VI he intended to work out to use with his modpack. I'm not sure if he has finished his work already. The things are just a bit complicated IRL as of now...