Malkior

My Projects In the Pipeline (mostly texture related)

No prob, Quanon. :D

BTW, A sneak peek at some cloulds I worked on yesterday for the Telos Restoration Zone Skybox.

K2_00518.jpg  (Note I worked on the right side, and not the left, so there may be a seam or two visible ;) )

I also found out that it seems at least some of the inspiration for the Restoration Zone's landscape is from Cape Horn, Africa of all places. (Albeit detaturated and darkened)

TSL:ShouldntItConnectToSomething-KOTOR2.png

Cape Town Beach: item0renditionslideshowWideHorizontalblo

-The images were retrieved from the internet; the TSL one from Wikipedia, and the Cape Town one from "cntraveler.com"

(The water is almost the exact same color, the cliffs and clouds are of a very similar shape, and it also explains the Savanna-ish trees -which are also at Cape Town-

table-mountain-and-cape-t-001.jpg  

(Savanna Tree image is from "saajida.wordpress.com")

)

...granted that in canon, Telos is actually being rebuilt with primarily Onderonian flora and fauna, so the trees could be explained that way, but it is still interesting that the level designer/s used all of these elements.

Needless to say, I will be using Cape Town as a reference.. :D

An update yet again..

So, my computer is experiencing distress in the form of me not being able to use it. It's not a total loss, but I can't access the data currently on it or use my copy of Photohsop; so projects have reached a standstill.

However, the good thing is, I backed up most of it before everything went south with only the exception of anything I worked on about two weeks beforehand.

I'm going to be doing an inventory on what I can upload off of my external and checking back here over the next couple of days. In the meantime, I'll try to experiment in programs like Gimp and see what I can come up with so that at least something can get done :D  )

I'm hoping that everything gets resolved and I get access  to Photoshop and my copy of Kotor2 so that I can actually test things, but this is my current .. ordeal.

_Expect updates on this Topic as I have them available.

An update yet again..

So, my computer is experiencing distress in the form of me not being able to use it. It's not a total loss, but I can't access the data currently on it or use my copy of Photohsop; so projects have reached a standstill.

I've come to find that Linux is your friend when it comes to hard disk failures -- what Windows will not mount Linux will. Though not ideal for all situations -- as I've found this won't work with my current notebook due to the Windows 8 and/or the proprietary BIOS -- but installing one of the Linux distros as a bootable USB thumbstick will allow you then to load Linux up if you setup your BIOS to boot from a flash thumbdrive. Once it loads up you should then be able to mount your drive and get access to your files; maybe even repair your drive when Windows tools will likely fail every time.

It's a bit involving, in particular, as Linux though has a GUI it isn't as communicative as you'd expect -- I suspect that when you tell it to mount a drive, it will auto-repair certain things like file-system errors without actually telling you. Anyway, if you want to give it a shot, I suggest using: Backbox Linux and using either PenDrive or LinuxLive to creat the bootable USB.

I've only ever used PenDrive but will use LinuxLive next time around for the persistence and no reboot support. You can use any Linux distro you like but I find Backbox to have a clean UI along with a decent range of apps included. You will need to look at the File System settings to make sure that Linux is mounting drives if it isn't a system drive but an external; if it ain't an external then it should show up when Linux boots up.

I've come to find that Linux is your friend when it comes to hard disk failures -- what Windows will not mount Linux will. Though not ideal for all situations -- as I've found this won't work with my current notebook due to the Windows 8 and/or the proprietary BIOS -- but installing one of the Linux distros as a bootable USB thumbstick will allow you then to load Linux up if you setup your BIOS to boot from a flash thumbdrive. Once it loads up you should then be able to mount your drive and get access to your files; maybe even repair your drive when Windows tools will likely fail every time.

It's a bit involving, in particular, as Linux though has a GUI it isn't as communicative as you'd expect -- I suspect that when you tell it to mount a drive, it will auto-repair certain things like file-system errors without actually telling you. Anyway, if you want to give it a shot, I suggest using: Backbox Linux and using either PenDrive or LinuxLive to creat the bootable USB.

I've only ever used PenDrive but will use LinuxLive next time around for the persistence and no reboot support. You can use any Linux distro you like but I find Backbox to have a clean UI along with a decent range of apps included. You will need to look at the File System settings to make sure that Linux is mounting drives if it isn't a system drive but an external; if it ain't an external then it should show up when Linux boots up.

I've tried mounting drives, but at the moment it's still gibberish for the most part for me, and since the process seems to require in-depth knowledge of it, I'd need one-on-one assistance to avoid breaking things..  I'll definitely keep it in mind though when I'm working with someone better qualified on a solution, though. I've also been approached by a friend about installing Linux, but I could barely get through the GUI when I was trying it on their system. That said, when you get past its learning curve, Linux seems like a really great deal, and if I somehow get better trained at MSDOS or whichever coding structure it uses, I plan to use it on my future computer setups. 

I've tried mounting drives, but at the moment it's still gibberish for the most part for me, and since the process seems to require in-depth knowledge of it, I'd need one-on-one assistance to avoid breaking things..  I'll definitely keep it in mind though when I'm working with someone better qualified on a solution, though. I've also been approached by a friend about installing Linux, but I could barely get through the GUI when I was trying it on their system. That said, when you get past its learning curve, Linux seems like a really great deal, and if I somehow get better trained at MSDOS or whichever coding structure it uses, I plan to use it on my future computer setups. 

Yeah, it's not as difficult as it sounds; maybe my wording makes it out that way. To make it a bit more clear, you don't install Linux on your computer but rather use one of those tools to install Linux onto a USB thumbstick flash drive. You then boot Linux off of that. Hardest part is if it requires you to make a change to your BIOS settings, which for some I can imagine is a bit daunting. Most Linux GUIs are modeled on that of the Mac OS, so, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out; still, some user friendly touches are missing as most who use it would be more technically minded and want to do everything via commands via a console.

If you Google guides on how to fix or get your files from a failing hard disk, most will tell you to first backup your files from the drive, however in most cases I've experienced, the drive that is failing is the system drive which means that Windows won't even load up. And when it's another hard disk, Windows won't show it via My Computer -- you can "see" it via a hard to find Control Panel option, but, you won't be able to get access to your files that way. Why I recommend having Linux on a flash drive, as it provides you with a GUI file system to access and copy files with along with actually allowing you to see and access the disk in question. Windows won't; also, it's disk tools seem to have been largely unchanged since they were first created for MS Dos. Speaking of which, another option if you can still use your OS and install programs, is to have a look online for your disk manufacturer's disk diagnostic tools if they have them in order to fix your drive once you've backed up what you can -- though I think Seagate SeaTools will work with all drives. These will likely be far better than what Microsoft has decided to go with and tailored to your drive.

Anyway, I won't push the Linux option any further as it does require you to do some research and trial and error on your own; it's not for everyone ;).

I agree with SiC, unless it's a mechanical failure of your HDD loading a linux distro on a disc or portable drive and booting it is probably your best option. Although having no information besides a disc failure is impossible to troubleshoot, if you need any in-depth help with it start another topic(I don't want to spam this one) and we'll see what we can do.

Most Linux GUIs are modeled on that of the Mac OS.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the other way around. Linux and OS X are cousins in a way.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the other way around. Linux and OS X are cousins in a way.

Not 100% sure to be honest, I'm going off of my understanding of both from more than a decade ago, and back then the Linux GUIs were emulating that of the Mac; I think later on with the more newer Mac OSs Apple used the Linux (Unix) kernel as a core starting point for later OSs -- though I think it would be radically different to Linux by this point; not that I use Macs all that much these days. Kinda like what Google did with Chrome and to a lesser extent what Valve are doing with Steam OS.

Anyway, don't want to go off topic.

My computer came with a disc that it can be booted from, in case of something prevents it to be able to boot from hard disc. I don't suppose you have one?

Many Windows systems nowadays come with a 'recovery partition' (a hidden partition on the HDD containing the Windows installation files) rather than a disc.  You have to perform some task in the BIOS on bootup to point it to the recovery partition, and then Windows will try to repair / reinstall itself.

I would agree with SiC, and try to backup your files from a Linux bootup first, before attempting to repair the Windows installation.  Booting up into Linux is a really good idea - most major distros allow you to download an .iso to create a 'Live CD' that you can boot from... Ubuntu is particularly easy to get running and has lots of drivers included.  What I would do is boot up into Ubuntu from a Live CD, plug in an external HDD and copy as much of your work onto it as possible!

And Mac OS X was a direct descendant of BSD, which in turn was a direct descendant of Unix.  Linux is a direct descendant of GNU, which I believe was written from the ground up to emulate / better Unix - hence why Linux and related OSes are referred to as 'Unix Like'

So there you go - good luck!

Just another update. No screens yet, my computer is still awaiting an install disk for its OS (also Photoshop, but I heard that it can be installed from the web, so I may just do that).

However, I'm planning on my next string of projects while I'm applying for a new job, among these projects will be the new textures for the Day/Night mod (of which I am quite excited about).

Additionally, another mod I am going to continue will be the Holographic face fix. However, since I can't play Kotor all the way through, I request if possible of you guys a tentative list of all of the holographic faces in Kotor 1 and 2 that bother you in-game (if it has visible eyeballs or teeth that are visible in holograms of characters) so that I can address them immediately.

Otherwise I appreciate the feedback and hope to continue the joys of modding soon.

Another Update.

My Computer has returned from the brink! >

Thank you very much to everyone for the computer assistance and advice. :)

I have many new screens with fully completed or soon to be released updates to my currently available mods.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

First of all, here's a full revision of the Ithorians that were on this thread previously.

Chodo

K2_00100.jpg

K2_00098.jpg 

Ithorian 1 (Default Ithorians in K2)

K2_00090.jpg

K2_00102.jpg

Ithorian 2 (Moza in K2)

K2_00101.jpg 

Ithorian 3 (The Blue Ithorian in the Vivarium in K2)

K2_00106.jpg

K2_00103.jpg 

After those are done, I plan to release an update to my alien mod with the Gamorreans (at long last :D )

)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>---------------------------

Secondly, the skybox for Korriban now also has edited lightmaps to get rid of that bright atmosphere for what is essentially sunset, and I found that rendering the sky again was the only option, since nothing I did was getting the quality needed for a good sky retex. (Terragen was more cooperative, so the sky looks even better than when it was first rendered during the previous update)

How it currently looks:

K2_00087_1.jpg

K2_00083.jpg

K2_00082.jpg

K2_00080.jpg

Onderon and Telos are my next step in detail work, but I am also going to be altering the Dantooine lightmaps to get rid of that awful blue tint.

(in my opinion :D )

------------------------------------------------------///////////////////////////////////////>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I will also be announcing some mods I set aside awhile back as I update them--//

Anyway, apologies for taking so long to update, and thanks for the constant feedback. 

Updates will proceed as per usual schedule...

It's funny how there are absolutely no skybox mods for both KotOR games and now after 10 years two people start working on them at the same time^^

And your Korriban skybox really looks amazing.

But I'd suggest you increase the resolution since it still looks kinda pixelated on those screenshots. Other than that it's perfect :)

Free version only allows 500x500... :\

I hope they still look good though. I'm using Photoshop to clean up the pixelation, but it will take a while, and I want you to see what it looks like now at least.

And.. Oh no, I've been working on these for years.. You just threw down the gauntlet by showing your own high quality screens. :) (in fact the Terragen file was unaltered from years earlier, except now I'm starting to learn how to use it better. ;) )

Which version of Terragen do you use?

And independend of that question: You could use the same method I'm using, that is rendering 4 images instead of one per texture and editing them together in Photoshop.

Haha, nice to hear that I "inspired" someone to retexture those awful vanilla skyboxes as well. I'm really looking forward to your other ones.

Yeah... I can vouch that Malkior's been working on these for years... :D

He released his More Vibrant Skies 1.0 mod on Filefront (Don't look for it, as it somehow got erased...) and upon seeing an actually good mod from an "unknown", I commented him up in the comments and saw that he wanted to learn more. So, I invited him to DeadlyStream. About a month later, we started work on the Day/Night mod...

So, I've kinda kept the poor guy in the Skybox mode...

Yeah... I can vouch that Malkior's been working on these for years... :D

He released his More Vibrant Skies 1.0 mod on Filefront (Don't look for it, as it somehow got erased...) and upon seeing an actually good mod from an "unknown", I commented him up in the comments and saw that he wanted to learn more. So, I invited him to DeadlyStream. About a month later, we started work on the Day/Night mod...

So, I've kinda kept the poor guy in the Skybox mode...

I'm actually using that mod. Just didn't realise it was Malkior's mod. (Sorry about that :blush: ).

Anyway, it's great to see that the skyboxes finally get an overhaul.

Wow, really digging the red sunset on Korriban there! Top notch work on the other textures to!
And love the eyes on the ithorians!

Keep it coming, both, Malkior and Kexikus!

Free version only allows 500x500... :\

I hope they still look good though. I'm using Photoshop to clean up the pixelation, but it will take a while, and I want you to see what it looks like now at least.

And.. Oh no, I've been working on these for years.. You just threw down the gauntlet by showing your own high quality screens. :D (in fact the Terragen file was unaltered from years earlier, except now I'm starting to learn how to use it better. ;) )

I would buy it, but I didn't realize it's upwards of $200 o_o

I would buy it, but I didn't realize it's upwards of $200 o_o

Yeah. I guess I will try with the four render per side method.

Thank, you so much Kexikus for the advice! :)

I'm glad you feel as strongly about how bad the skyboxes need a revision. So far, I really like your choices of skies for k1. I am also curious how you are going to approach Kashyyk with its trees instead of clouds.

Also, thank you all, for the kind feedback. :) I'm working on these as fast as I can, and will have a few screens of Onderon, as soon as I get the sides rendered. I will also be researching this, "4 panel method". Is there a tutorial, or does Terragen do it for you? BTW, I have Terragen 2. ;)

After that, I also have a plethora of retexes for Peragus and Telos to finalize and package.

Lastly, my older package box labeling retexture will undergo a revision as well.

Updates on the way once the renders are done..////

Yeah. I guess I will try with the four render per side method.

Thank, you so much Kexikus for the advice! :D

I'm glad you feel as strongly about how bad the skyboxes need a revision. So far, I really like your choices of skies for k1. I am also curious how you are going to approach Kashyyk with its trees instead of clouds.

Also, thank you all, for the kind feedback. :D I'm working on these as fast as I can, and will have a few screens of Onderon, as soon as I get the sides rendered. I will also be researching this, "4 panel method". Is there a tutorial, or does Terragen do it for you? BTW, I have Terragen 2. ;)

No, Terragen won't do that for you, but it's pretty simple anyway.

For one side of the texture you would usually render one image with a FOV of 90° with camera angles 0,0,0 for example. Now instead of doing that you just change the FOV to 45° and render 4 images with (0,-22.5,0) (0,22.5,0) (45,-22.5,0) and (45,22.5,0). This way you'll have two problems: The lower quarter of your original texture is on none of those images and the images where the first angle is non-zero will overlap. The first thing is no problem since you won't see that part of the skybox anyway and for the second part you'll have to create one big file in PS where you place all 17 renders you'll make next to each other and then edit them together so that you no longer see the borders of each individual render. It's not that hard for the side textures but the top texture is annoying as hell with this method.

And with TG2 you could actually use 900x900 per render as far as I know.

About Kashyyyk: Well, I'm really curious about that aswell, since I have no idea yet. But I'm even more curious about Taris, where I had an idea that won't work at all...

It has been far too long.

As such, here is an update on a few things that I've been working on.

First of all, in the vein of the Korriban Skybox, here are my most recent renders of the Telos surface.

K2_00075_1.jpg K2_00072.jpg K2_00070_1.jpg   

The next Skybox I want to address will be to finish my Onderonian one, which while looking better, still needs some tweaking (Especially in the sky overlooking the landing bay)

K2_00177.jpg K2_00180.jpg   

......................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yet another project that I kind of started out of the blue is the retexturing of the most heinous of the uniform collars, starting with the TSF, and working through the citizen clothing (Which for me is probably the worst of them all)

The TSF:

K2_00038_1.jpg K2_00037.jpg

Here's an image of a "citizenry" robe that I actually managed to finish to give you an idea.

KotOR0083.jpg

Grenn was among those of the TSF that I worked on, of which I also retextured his face.

Before:

K2_00036.jpg

After:

K2_00079.jpg

////////>>>>>>

No idea why, but since I was working on the clothing, I also redid the detail on Atton's and Kreia's default clothing as well.

Atton

K2_00078_2.jpg 

Kreia

K2_00080_1.jpg

//>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

So, next on the agenda is releasing all of my completed mod updates and possibly working on a few others

I made an update to my Visual Effects mod that adds lightning in a variety of different colors, as well as a new conjure effect with little details added to the actual animated texture, which I will be uploading soon.

Pics:

KotOR0125.jpg KotOR0123.jpg KotOR0124.jpg 

(And, yes there are more than just yellow, white, and green :P )

Secondly, I have the Alien's Redetailed mod at 90% completion, and plan to release it soon afterward.

And, lastly, the skybox mod (Which has been waiting for, what? 3-4 years?) More Vibrant Skies, will be getting its debut update once I finish Onderon, and get the Dantooine one started in Terragen.

This of course doesn't mean that I won't be working on various other things in the meantime, as you know. : }

That's about it for now. As always, I thank you all for your constant feedback, as well as overall support in these most textural endeavors. 

Isn't it time to back these projects to a secondary source? Just in case that there is another cimpute or hard drive issue?