AmazingIce

Needing Help With Kotor Soundtrack

So I have been trying to take the Music files (from C:\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\streammusic) from Kotor 1 to convert in to .Mp3. The end goal is to get all the OST from Kotor 1 and 2 convert and place into my android to play and listen to (since ITunes does not sell the OST).

As of right now, when I click on the properties of a sound file it shows up as "Type of file: (.wav)(.wav)" I have tried to play it with VLC media player, the sound files that do open are all static. I have also tried to convert the files into .mp3 that has not worked either - I still get the static.

Any help and/or advice would be awesome. 

Thanks in advance.

Try renaming the extension from WAV to MP3.

No dice. I tried renaming to .flac also.

Thanks for the help man! Do have any other suggestion I could try? (btw I am pretty new to some of this stuff)

There were mods on gamefront that supposedly improved the music quality of the two games. I don't know if they actually did, but they came with their music in the .mp3 format that you can easily listen to on your phone.

They should be available on nexusmods, but I don't know what they were called exactly.

That's not a mod but rather the High Quality Music Patch, which can be found here.

As for extracting stuff from StreamMusic, they have to be renamed to .mp3 and then decompressed with Miles Sound System. The installer used to be free on their website, but I don't know where to find it anymore.

I'm still using Winamp, renaming from wav to mp3 works fine when I play it with that, playing it with VLC gives me static too. Did you test how your android device deals with those "renamed to mp3 files"?

I finally got it to work. Thanks for the help and advice guys!

For those of you who want to know how I got it to work here are the steps:

(Warning: the sound files 57-credits do not work at all at least for me)

(Note: the sound files 01b, 04, 06,  07, 10, 16, 18, 22c, 24, 34, 35, 42, 22, 50a, 51a, 54a, 55a and 56a are little 30sec-1min clips of keyboard and soundFX not related to the OST)

1. I copied and pasted the files to a blank work folder.

2. I renamed the extensions to .mp3. (now I was able to play these files in WavePad by NCH. From what Effix said it looks like you can use any program except VLC. I was not able to play these sound files with my Android either)

3. With WavePad I converted the files to .flac in to a separate work folder. (Now these files work with VLC but with some online searching I found out .flac doesn't work well with Android) 

4. With WavePad I finally converted the files to .mp3 into a new folder. (Here you can play this on VLC and transfer to your Android)

5. I renamed the Sound files to their appropriate names, example: "Desert Wraid Attack" "Dantooine Outback".(I had a Youtube video help me out with some of the names http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ5LpKGGLDk)

Hope this helps anyone that follows after me.