xander2077

Retexturing masks

Stunning and lovely work on all these masks so far!

These kind of mods take the games to a new level; there is still a certain beauty to these old 3D games :D

Any more changes to my Mandalore mask? Just out of curiousty, my models are far from pro and rather modelled on the fly without to much planning ahead.

Neither had I any proper training in 3d modelling, so my meshes always end up messy and cluttered.

When I see DarthParametric models or your masks they are far more "clean' and neat looking wiremesh.

Keep on the good work!

Stunning and lovely work on all these masks so far!

These kind of mods take the games to a new level; there is still a certain beauty to these old 3D games :D

Any more changes to my Mandalore mask? Just out of curiousty, my models are far from pro and rather modelled on the fly without to much planning ahead.

Neither had I any proper training in 3d modelling, so my meshes always end up messy and cluttered.

When I see DarthParametric models or your masks they are far more "clean' and neat looking wiremesh.

Keep on the good work!

No no no, your mask model was great, and i have seen a few other ones you posted as modder resources and they all look stunning. Not messy at all. Just curious why you never released them in a mod?

All i really did was clean up the UVs a bit and then alter the texture to conserve space, add some more grunge to it, change the lense to be more like the comics show it, and put hoses and a back on your mask. In the future if i can get them working right i want to try and make it so there is a partial head just for those helmets (like the squashed head model used in the praetorian helmets) just without trying to make everything a disguise. im still trying to figure out the details on that one because for my vanilla overhaul, there are three masks that were converted to helmets and require their own head to function correctly. and i am not really sure how to go about it right now. skinned models may be a pretty big hurdle for me in blender and linux.

I would also like to make part of those hoses flexible more like a hair modifier or something, but i wont know how to do that unless i tear apart one of the hair meshes on a head and see how it works ,or if that tells me nothing, just learn what it would take to make them floppy.

On a side note i did get a trial version of 3dsmax 9 working, but since i lost my license file and have to enter everything over again, and i cant complete the activation of it in wine, it will only be useable for 30 days and then i have to wipe the virtual drive and start over (pain)

So maybe i can figure out how to install NWNmax in case skinning doesnt go so great in blender.

BTW your modeling is awesome. I tooka look at some of your modules and they are pretty great. I have never made a walkmesh before so anyone that can do that is a modding god in my book.

does Vandar have a goggle hook? cause i want so bad to put tetas band on his head and have him do a Yoda rap in the game... it would be a worthless mod but fun...

It would probably be easier to just add the headband mesh directly to the Yoda body model.

my models are far from pro and rather modelled on the fly without to much planning ahead.

I model in quads for any custom meshes, which may look a little "cleaner" in WIP screenshots compared to the game's triangulated meshes, but it's debatable whether my actual topology is any good or not.

On a side note i did get a trial version of 3dsmax 9 working, but since i lost my license file and have to enter everything over again, and i cant complete the activation of it in wine, it will only be useable for 30 days and then i have to wipe the virtual drive and start over (pain)

So maybe i can figure out how to install NWNmax in case skinning doesnt go so great in blender.

If you are a student, you can get a free 3 year educational license simply by using a school email (be it secondary, university, etc.) to sign up on their site.

It would probably be easier to just add the headband mesh directly to the Yoda body model.

I model in quads for any custom meshes, which may look a little "cleaner" in WIP screenshots compared to the game's triangulated meshes, but it's debatable whether my actual topology is any good or not.

If you are a student, you can get a free 3 year educational license simply by using a school email (be it secondary, university, etc.) to sign up on their site.

yeah i figured out the yoda model doesnt have the goggle hook, but i guess it could be added like you said, but it would be purely for stupidity sake or possibly for a modders resource for the yoda player mods out there.

i also like to model in quads, and i mix methodology a lot. and this does result in cleaner looking meshes since one can eliminate the unnecessary faces or avoid them right off the bat... and the last thing i do most of the time is triangulate the faces becuase it can make the UV template harder to deal with in gimp.

unfotunately i am not a student, and probably wont be any time soon. i guess i could take a correspondence course in something retarded that would grant me student status temporarily and wont interfere too much with RL issues, but that is something i have to look into more before trying it out. im not sure what would qualify, or how many credit hours are needed per semester to be considered a student. right now i cannot commit to a full credit load kind of dedication.

but because it is installed in wine, it is easy enough to wipe the virtual drive and reinstall using the same method i just used, to work with it as best i can. wine wont remember that i already installed it, so the record of it wont keep me from using the 30 trial over and over like a real windows install would, and i dont have to find that pesky trial countdown file and delete it once i uninstall.

funny thing is now that i have been using blender i want to work in Max like i do in blender and it is total fail lol. i have not used max for a while, so my muscle memory tries to do things like i do them in blender and i have to stop and think instead of working from instinct. but at least now i can convert some model types or scene types like .max files and such to types i can open in blender.

of course once i get the hang of it over again i might be able to do a lot more that i could not do in blender as easily, just depends on the integrity of the mdl import in max compared to how it imports in blender. if the max import gives me greater control over the mdl than blender, then it is a no brainer what i will need to use for the skin weighted meshes. it is just a matter of relearning max and learning more about max period. of course i may take another route and do most of my work in blender and then just do weighting in max, depends on how best it works.

Short update, running into some issues with the helmet style masks to replace 3 vanilla masks in the game has this all on hold for release. The models are fine and appear in game very nicely, but clipping is a huge problem I am not satisfied with.

I realize I need to learn a lot more about the skinned models, what the game engine expects of them, how to make sure skinned models are correct before export, how to modify the appearance and base items 2da, and how to properly assign weights to models that need it in order to continue. Not on the helmet itself, but in order for it all to work right the helmets depend on a non clipping head, and that has to be skinned and weighted and modded into the auxiliary files correctly to do what I want them to do. I can’t really make the helmet style masks large enough to accommodate every head without clipping or just plain looking idiotic. Of course I may also just have to revert back to the 3 vanilla masks or tweaked versions of those until this is sorted out.

As I wait for feedback, I will be working on other stuff as well. So don’t give up.

KOTOR has no provision to remove/hide head models for a helmet (hence why there are no equipable helmets in the base game). You'll just have to live with the clipping.

You could maybe try going the disguise route, but I don't know how that would play with the body models, or if you can even add that modifier to headgear. You'd need 6 variants of it, one for each race/sex combo.

KOTOR has no provision to remove/hide head models for a helmet (hence why there are no equipable helmets in the base game). You'll just have to live with the clipping.

You could maybe try going the disguise route, but I don't know how that would play with the body models, or if you can even add that modifier to headgear. You'd need 6 variants of it, one for each race/sex combo.

it is possible, since Quanon did it with his praetorian mod. but i am not sure of the details. somehow he made it so the helmet would be donned as a disguise when the armor was put on, but also made it so the helmet could be donned by itself with other armor. however i am not sure til he replies to a pm what he did to make it work. or how he was able to trick K1 into allowing other body models. So my guess is either really heavy on the coding and file alterations (which needs tsl patcher too) or tons of extra models to reference due to the code, or both.

Drat, well i guess i have to talk to him then to see what can be done, or exactly what steps he went through. Im sure this will take thinking outside the box, much like the deflector shield mod. if i have to make backups of every robe and armor in the game as additional disguises to do so, and get the game to reference them correctly when those masks are on, then so be it. that itself is like larger mod. i am not even sure of the limitations here, if there is a limit to how many disguises can be added or how they can be added, or if K1 can be tricked into using a disguise in place of the base armors when donning these masks only....

heck i may scrap the helmet idea and try out adding a hood to those. or making it so they have to be donned with special matching armor for each mask in question...

I tried to explain about how the game doesn't do anything about clipping once before, but gave up when you kept insisting it could be done.

As for the disguise thing, any eqippable item can have the Disguise property.

I tried to explain about how the game doesn't do anything about clipping once before, but gave up when you kept insisting it could be done.

As for the disguise thing, any eqippable item can have the Disguise property.

not exactly, i kknew it would clip some heads but not the head i was fitting it to...it was more or less there for correct proprtions. as far as clipping goes i thought i had a solution for that, such as restriction from characters that clip.

but i also thought maybe there was a possibility that a modified head could be used for heads that clip, and it can, but not the way i wanted to use it. and since i dont really feel like making 6 different helmets for each gender and race attached to every armor in the game just to make them disguises, it kind of kills what i could have done if the engine was not as restrictive. i just thought there was a way i could cheat the gods.

plus it is kind of nice to know all of the why and how instead of just arguing a point that it is or isn't... and even then sometimes no matter what, people are not going to understand everything you say. some people just do not communicate well with each other (not on the same frequency). i need nitty gritty details, but that is just me. i didnt understand what you guys were talking about til Quanon explained the why and the how. DJ tried to do the same but wires got crossed somewhere and it was not getting through.

the issue is if i use it as a disguise, that limits me to one body type for the helmet. so that leaves me with only a couple of options. 1: go back to the vanilla masks just for the overhaul and save the rest for later. 2: make them a disguise but have a special suit of armor go with each one and raised stats. or 3: both... just one now and one at a later time as an add on. plus if i do the masks now and disguise later, they can both be in the same mod setup.

Ok, since I had to rethink my approach to the vanilla masks, and reserve the helmet versions for a later mod, I whipped up some better versions of the 3 vanilla masks. What I basically did was tweak some UVs and fix a few oddities on them, and there was really only one that I added better details to in the geometry and had to completely reunwrap, but sooner or later they will be done and I can finally release this.

Here is a pic of the mask I revamped and gave more rounded off edges. And the other one where I had to fix the UVs. I don’t really need to show the last one since it did not really change that much, just needed the back fixed to avoid overlapping faces and flickering.

Before final release I will have to make sure the last 3 vanilla masks are correctly placed on the heads and such, and then look for any texture anomalies to fix as I view them in game.

The final pic is one I whipped up really quickly and have no texture for yet, but it is a skull of the Mythosaur mask. This is the traditional symbol of Mandalorians from time immortal. It should be a fun mask to put in game later.

post-19611-0-41225200-1464364303_thumb.png

post-19611-0-63936400-1464364313_thumb.png

post-19611-0-67708100-1464364486_thumb.png

• Like 1

That Mythosaur mask though...

Original Post 28 May 2016 - 05:58 PM [EST]

That mythosaur mask though...

How about I make a mask based on your avatar?

Quick Update: I just read the permission message from Silveredge9 to do his skins over for his mask mods, so I will be handing that over to him sometime soon unless he is OK with me uploading it myself. I have to get clarification first.

I will also hand over the fixed models he needs to upgrade his own mod as well.

Hey hello, I Seikan, i was contacted a while ago in your stead to get permission for the sith soldier helmet and the weird horned one, as you noticed the texture was missing, it seems at the time i forgot to include it in the mod, but what you did with it is actually pretty much what it was meant to be, i opened a new topic about updating my mod, and you can see it in one of the screen shots, it was meant to replace the Tulak hord nonsense of a mask along with a new armor to make a tulak hord set made out of tukatas.

Anyways your reskins are pretty neat good job :P

• Like 1

Hey hello, I Seikan, i was contacted a while ago in your stead to get permission for the sith soldier helmet and the weird horned one, as you noticed the texture was missing, it seems at the time i forgot to include it in the mod, but what you did with it is actually pretty much what it was meant to be, i opened a new topic about updating my mod, and you can see it in one of the screen shots, it was meant to replace the Tulak hord nonsense of a mask along with a new armor to make a tulak hord set made out of tukatas.

Anyways your reskins are pretty neat good job :P

Thank you for the compliment, if you want any of the update d models and textures I can send them over. I have to find them all but I will send whatever you want.

There is also an alternate of the Sith helmet, I did a small redesign and new texture for that one so it is like an elite Sith trooper helmet (like the republic commando or something)

I can’t remember what else was from your masks but just remind me.

It was only those two and some Mandalorian masks chopped off the in-game Mandalorians but you haven't used them I think.

Regarding your issues about how to avoid clipping, actually disguise is the route I went for with the Sith helmet, I think it's worth it considering the lack of alternatives, the only real issues are that by disguising to a set appearance defines your character race so if you're in underwear or something revealing some skin you might not have your character's real skin color but it can be avoided by doing a full body underwear texture, now the real annoying part is that it sets the gender for your character so you have to make two helmets one for males and one for females models, but other that that once disguised you can equip any armor normally if the appearance row in appearance.2da is constituted similarly to a player's appearance (like copy paste of a playable appearance with a custom head (mine was a monster head which gave terrible results during the leviathan revelation scène °° ))

• Like 1