Sign in to follow this  
Guest Plastic

Favourite game in the Jedi Knight series

What is your favourite Jedi Knight Game?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favourite Jedi Knight game?

• Dark Forces
    • Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II)
    • Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    • Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Sorry for the necro but, new mods are underway which I believe will breathe new life into these games! I've not played DarkForces II, it was the game I knew about when I was a kid but couldn't play because of not being able to access it - didn't have a PC at the time but Outcast on the other hand, was EPIC and still is to this very day. Check out my upcoming mod of it over on ModDB/JKHub or check out my YouTube clips of the mods progress :D

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-jedi-outcast-redemption

https://jkhub.org/topic/7942-jedi-outcast-redemption/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGj6y_TcHNdVgSeEq4kZsg

Edit: Deleted recogition of a mod. One slight deserves another.

This is very interesting news. I've seen the Dark Forces II mod since its infancy, and since the Dark Forces I mod was so suddenly abandoned after releasing its demo, I'd love to see at least one of these to finally be complete.

The fact that they're making their own engine tells me that they're serious and reminds me of the one successful conversion mod, Black Mesa.

I've always been a fan of the entire Dark Forces series as it feels like a slightly more mature version of Star Wars with its constant gunplay and fairly robust story. Thanks for the info. :)

• Like 2

Outcast is my personal favorite, can't wait for redemption.

Of the proposed games, the greatest sympathy was caused by the game Jedi Outcast which combines an interesting storyline and dynamic gameplay.

• Like 1

Hi,

I've posted a comment on PrimalClarity's YouTube clips; the JO teaser and Jedi Outcast trailer 2, asking if they would like to collaborate with the mod I'm making.. Fingers crossed

Since this thread was necro'd by someone else, I want to mention something that Guest_HK-47 (me before forum issue) didn't mention about DF2. You can use force speed, run into a wall, and hurt yourself. The amount of damage depends on distance and power level (I think it only works at full power). You can use force jump and hurt yourself. Not just from jumping too high, but even under a low ceiling.

What new games do that? None of the other JK games have that realism. I'll admit, that the lightsabers are more realistic, especially with the cheat that allows dismemberment, even on contact (which is hilarious when you bind the spawn cheat to a key, and spawn a ton of enemies directly in front of you with your saber out).

The mod for JO, that looks really cool. I am eager for it's completion. I will have to play Outcast again with it.

I've played them all and beaten them all with the exception of Dark Forces II and MOTS (You forgot that one lol)

Dark Forces is a really fun game, but super outdated. If you use it with the DarkXL engine mod, it's an absolute blast to play. I love the gunplay and it has my favorite story in the series.

Dark Forces II is also really fun - it feels like a prototype to what we would have gotten in JK2/JK3. It's hard though, really hard. I've played all of the games on the highest level of difficulty and I can easily say Dark Forces II is the hardest. I haven't even beaten the game yet. There was a lot of flexibility with the force upgrades and it was cool how finding Secret areas rewarded you with force points.

Jedi Outcast is my favorite game in the franchise. It has an excellent story and the progression is great. The gunplay is excellent and even if the lightsaber kind of makes them less useful later on, I still love using them regardless for the sake of Variety. Kyle isn't a Jedi yet, he's just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions. Use guns all you want, give them a chance. I used to love modding this game and I still do. I considered it my favorite game for a while. The multiplayer was incredible and a great part of my childhood. It was such an amazing, fun, surreal experience. The funny part was that the multiplayer was split into update factions, those who had the 1.02 patch and those who had the 1.04 patch. There was also 1.03 but I didn't hear much about them. Those who played 1.02 claimed they had a much funner time and to be fair they did have the coolest youtube videos to prove it. They were some cool ass dudes. They mainly didn't speak English, which was a key reason I wanted to learn foreign languages. They were mainly German and French speaking. The memories will never be the same.

Just look at this video and don't tell me it doesn't look surreal AF. This game was the best. I joined (several) clans and made several friends.

The 1.04 videos always sucked. It felt like 1.02 players treated this game religiously in their clan forums too. I remember I would search through the depths on the internet on old clan forums to find unique cool mods found nowhere else.

I only played 1.04 until JK2MV came out and let you switch between patch types. It was too much too late thou because by that time, the game was dead. And now it basically is. Nobody plays it. The most you'll find online (if you're really lucky) is like ten people at once scattered on different servers. The good old days are gone.

JK3 is... good, I guess.The Multiplayer is still well and alive but I never liked it. It just felt way to stiff and most players felt like douchebags. The saber combat felt sluggish and the hit detection was incredibly choppy. I still don't like playing it. It's so confusing to play now too cause all of the servers have these giant clientside mods that basically make the servers into a roleplaying thing and it's annoying. I just want to play a game, not figure out an entirely new game. I don't even know where to start cause there's so many online clientside mods.

The singleplayer is good. I feel like it had a lot of lost potential. The gameplay refined what JK2 did and made it slightly better. The saber combat was a lot of fun thanks to the variety and the gunplay was the same, but it was disappointing how they only added one gun. Still, I loved modding this game as well and there were a lot of great mods for it like Movie Duels II and KOTF and other singleplayer conversions. The story was really lacking but I know it could've been good. Some missions were REALLY boring, especially the early ones. JK2's first missions were great, not JK3's. But thankfully, once you get to Hoth the game picks up from there quite well.

The cultists felt very lacking, there should have been more variety and better AI to them. There were a lot of cut NPCs in that game I had to restore to add to the variety. Thankfully I did tho and the game is a hell of a lot more fun. They really tried to make the game feel closer to Dark Forces II with the force upgrade system which was cool. I loved how the story concluded by going to Korriban and the alternative ending was incredibly satisfying, getting to slaughter everyone. Tavion was a mediocre villian, a really mediocre one. I wish more could have been done with her. Rosh was a dumbschmuck.

I like Academy for the gameplay, variety, customization and mod capabilities.

I like Outcast for the story, characters and maps.

I haven't played through Dark Force 2 fully yet, I have left that play through on hiatus many times now since almost a decade ago unfortunately.

Never played either of the Dark Forces games, but I know some of the story from those two games.  I do have Mysteries of the Sith and intend to play it one of these days (once I get newly-discovered KOTOR and KOTOR II out of my system).  10 years ago, Academy was my favorite, and while I still enjoy Academy...Outcast is my favorite.

MIssions in Outcast flowed together into a smooth story.  Lack of customization actually worked in Outcast's favor...developers could tailor AI/environments on each level to be better matched against Force powers/weapons Kyle acquired as the game progressed.  (Seriously...the bacta supplies drop once Kyle masters healing...that's not a coincidence!)  I'm just amazed at how many details I still pick out to this day...this game was just designed so well.  It also helps that the Quake III graphics hold up decently well.

I would love to play the Dark Forces games, but I'm not sure if they'd work on my Win10  laptop.  (Don't have it near me or I could give specs for the graphics card.  It's from 2013, so not sure how problematic the hardware might be.)

• Like 1

Dark Forces II. The newer JK games just failed to recapture that unique Star Wars atmosphere of DF2, in my opinion. And the story of DF2 is just so much better.