Obi Wan Pere

Adding existing rooms to a Module

Hi guys

Fighting with a layout file (.lyt), I realized that is where are the coordinates of the rooms of the Modules (that are not shown in the Room Structs of the '.are' files) and I wished try something.

With the Notepad I copied and pasted the line of a desired Room adding it to the list in the '.lyt' file, I changed its coordinates for make it match with the end of a cul-de-sac passage which I took out the door at the end. As well, with K-GFF I copied/pasted the corresponding Struct Room in the '.are' file.

In game the room is there but I cannot get inside, I cannot cross the existing limit of the passage room.

KotOR0000e.jpg

Besides, cause both rooms has doors and for avoid graphic glitches, I've realized that I'd need a "link" between them but I have no idea where to find them.

KotOR0000c.jpg

KotOR0000d.jpg

If can be of interest for anybody this is the layout of the Command Module of the Endar Spire (m01aa). There is a fifteenth room that I've been unable to identify, according the corrdinates of the '.lyt' file is very close to the exit of the Module.

lbl_mapm01aa.jpg

Sounds like you are missing the doorhooks from the original layout file.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Sounds like you are missing the doorhooks from the original layout file.

Mmm.... I didn't touch that part of the '.lyt' file. I leaved it as it is in the original, basically because I thought that it was the list of the doors itself ...and I didn't interpret "Hook".

If I understant correctly, the "Hooks" are the links between rooms I'm looking for?

12 minutes ago, Obi Wan Pere said:

Mmm.... I didn't touch that part of the '.lyt' file. I leaved it as it is in the original, basically because I thought that it was the list of the doors itself ...and I didn't interpret "Hook".

If I understant correctly, the "Hooks" are the links between rooms I'm looking for?

There is more info here.

6. We can use walkmeshes that are divided into multiple parts

Quanon probably has more to say about this, as he's done it and I haven't. But it appears that when you divide the walkmesh into multiple parts, you can rig it to work by including a doorhook line in the layout file with the coordinates of the seam between the two. This should enable us to create areas that utilize the full functionality of the vis file and multiple AuroraDLights.

You are confusing the division of labour in a module, the difference between static elements and dynamic elements. The LYT handles the static elements, i.e. the room models. The door hooks in the LYT aren't used at all. All the dynamic elements - doors, placeables, creatures, triggers, transitions, etc. - are handled by the GIT. The hooks do have one use though. They provide the intended door position, so you can just plug those co-ords into the GIT.

Oh, well, I know we're talking about 2 different things, I just associated it in this same thread. The main and most important is be able to walk from one room to a new one.

@Blue

I'll check it asap, thanks.

Well that's entirely down to the walkmeshes. If you are trying to cobble together existing room models in a completely original manner then you are going to need custom walkmeshes. Typically, but not always, each room will have its own walkmesh. Points where you need to cross from one walkmesh to an adjoining one in the next room are defined in the walkmeshes themselves, by which edge/s link to which other rooms. If you looked at the AABB node in the ASCII model of a room, you'd see something like:

roomlinks 4
    186 8
    255 3
    298 6
    301 6

Here there are three adjoining rooms, 3, 6, and 8 (determined by the LYT hierarchy). Room 6 has two edges for its link because of the nature of the room's triangulation.

If your LYT points to vanilla room models then their walkmeshes will be linked corresponding to their original LYT positions. The only solution is loading up the entire LYT of your level and reassigning the room links. As far as I know, currently this can only be done in KOTORMax (so Max/GMax required). I don't believe the equivalent functionality has been implemented in KOTORBlender yet.

Note that this will mean you will have to change all the model names to custom ones, if you haven't already.

• Thanks 2

By the time I have not any of the tools required :( but I'll see what I can do.

Just a doubt. If each room has its own walkmesh I see the logic of cannot use as a new one an existing room without a good workaround but, (with the adequated tools) it'd be possible to copy the model of a room, rename it as a new model, modify its walkmesh, and add the "new" model room to the Layout?