Hi, I'm using a couple mods together

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/485-bearded-pmhc01-head-replacement/

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/365-canon-revans-hair-for-defaults-faces/

But I get this weird patch on the face

1541580516_swkotor2019-06-1219-06-21.jpg.7723ee0cf048ebf3bb3ff30a67fe4e64.jpg

Would anybody here know how I might fix it? It only appears on that side of the face from what I can see. Thanks in advance.

Edited by fringy

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, The mod that adds the hair also uses the same files and I assume renaming them obviously isn't a fix.

Will the community patch update include an alternative solution or is it possible for me to merge the files somehow?  

Ah, the second one adds a mullet. No, there is no alternative solution, since the model skin weights need editing. You'll need to contact the author of the second mod and advise them to fix it themselves, or choose between fixed deformation or changed hairdo.

You could fix it yourself if you know what you are doing, but it would require either editing the model in Max/GMax, or possibly doing some swapping of nodes in an ASCII model.

• Thanks 1

It seems the author of that mod hasn't been active in quite a while and I've never even heard of GMax, guess I'll have to suck it up.

Thanks anyways and thank you for your contributions!

Edited by fringy

41 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

...possibly doing some swapping of nodes in an ASCII model.

Greetings! :cheers:

If I go with the ASCII route, should I only copy the hair mesh and paste it to the other model to transplant the hair? Many thanks for considering this.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, DarthParametric said:

...can either transplant the hair mesh node/s from the mod's model to my model, or transplant the head mesh node from my model to the mod's model. Should work either way.

Thank you for the insight - much appreciated. :cheers:

Edit: I managed to get the models merged - so, here's how things goes:

1. Prepare your tools; MDLedit and Notepad++
  2. Prepare the models from this post and the long-haired model
  3. Download this - K1Supermodels_Vanilla.7z
  4. We need the Supermodel for recompiling from ASCII to Binary to work [step 14] - so put all of them at the same folder with the head models
  5. I'm going to index 1 for DP's model and 2 for the long-haired/valten7's
  6. Organized the files [including make a backup] as you see them fit, just make sure you know which one is which
  7. We're going with the hair transplant method in this case we're going to copy the hair nodes to the other model
  8. Load 1 and 2 with MDLedit and save them as ASCII
  9. Open 2 ASCII with Notepad++ and find this node using find command -
    node trimesh Object01

That is the hair node's header we'd want to copy all the information to the other model

10. Block and copy all the nodes until you find the end of the node -

endnode

You can transit them for temporary to a new opened tab on the notepad

11. Open 1 ASCII with the notepad and find this node using find command -

node skin head

Stop right there - that's what we would use as a mark to where we'd want to paste the hair node we copied earlier

12. Make a space above that node and paste all the hair node we copied earlier there so more or less this is what you'll get on screen -

node trimesh Object01
      parent head_g
        ...35 0.91469
    endnode
    node skin head
      parent PMHC01

Them three-dots means the information inside the ASCII/model

13. Save the ASCII

14. Load the hair-transplanted 1 ASCII with MDLedit and save it as Binary - overwrite when prompted. Be advised that you'll get warnings if you don't have the Supermodels in the same folder with the ASCII

15. Pretty much done - next is to copy the binary model -which should be named as PMHC01.MDL & PMHC01.MDX- and paste them to the Override, and overwrite when prompted

I think if you're following the instruction very clear you can have the wanted result. Just let me know at which part you got stuck/that is confusing. I should apologize if indeed the instruction are not very clear and is confusing. 🙃

The end-result is not without [possible] issue. If our main-character went Dark-side the hair texture went back to PMHC01, which will show a broken appearance on the hair mesh. We can discussed about that later after the attempted result above is actually working. :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I was able to edit the mdl without issue but I'm having an issue with the mdx, am I not reading this right? Do I make the mdx an mdl?

2 hours ago, fringy said:

Do I make the mdx an mdl?

Don't! The first rule of general modding is; never change the extension, hahah. Keep the extension as-is [on exporting] and only rename the file.

Edit: apologize that I might have confused you with a on MDL/MDX there. My intention was to have you read PMHC01.MDL PMHC01.MDX.

Edited by ebmar
  • Thanks 1

What i'm having an issue with is that the mdledit program won't let me open the mdx. Do I not need to convert those?

1 hour ago, fringy said:

...i'm having an issue with is that the mdledit program won't let me open the mdx.

Ah! You should not load the MDX but instead the MDL from the menu; the app will load them both automatically. I'm still experiencing this few times, heheh - rookie-in-haste mistake. 😛

Do I not need to convert those?

The only converting process were when;

1. Converting from Binary [MDL/MDX] to ASCII - to transplant the hair node
  2. Converting from ASCII back to Binary [MDL/MDX] a.k.a the in-game format model; because the game only accept MDL/MDX format for things to work
Edited by ebmar
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 3:13 PM, fringy said:

And the patch is gone!

Spoiler

1196211722_swkotor2019-06-1400-57-28.jpg.9bbf89506a853f3c9da1ca9020686903.jpg

You were correct on the dark side heads though

Spoiler

1338763684_swkotor2019-06-1401-03-39.jpg.eabf416a12ad2538e0bea969c1f44464.jpg

919940839_swkotor2019-06-1401-04-01.jpg.847c4c74e4d93cebba0afab882731542.jpg

Cool! Glad to see things are working very well in the end [minus the Dark-side transition issue]. :cheers:

I will then documenting and attaching the DS transition fix authored by @DarthParametric on Discord > r/kotor here; be back with an update later [or you can just sign-up there and see the post directly yourself].

Edit: to fix the UV you will need an additional tools which they're 3D modelling program -gmax and 3ds Max are most recommended for this- and KOTORmax.

Steps are -

1. Convert the latest PMHC01 binary to ASCII
  2. Run gmax with KOTORmax installed
  3. On the left toolbar there should be a button to load the ASCII, written as [+ MDL Loading] - choose Import Geom Only and Import then
  4. Spoiler

DP_PMHC01_UV_FIX_Tutorial.thumb.jpg.c328a94cd4de10a8f0cfe082ae642b6b.jpg

To have the texture shown [with the model] I usually put the relevant texture/TGA with the same folder as the loaded model - so you'd want to do that too. There must be another [legit] way on doing that but I don't know how. 🙃

5. Don't forget to reference the hair mesh, which is Object01 to reference PMHC01 as the bitmap instead of PMHC04. You can do that by following this -

Spoiler

DP_PMHC01_UV_FIX_FQA.thumb.jpg.4e0f200991ddd7b846e4eed3174f7ee8.jpg

6. Done with collapsing stuffs we're going to export the model now. Select the blue box under the head model; it's called OdysseyBase that you'll see it's written on a box in the top right corner

7. With OdysseyBase selected - you'll see Odyssey Base Params underneath and down below you'll find Export Geom only button. You know you're very close for a result so you'll know what to do, heheh

8. The exported format [again] will be an ASCII. So you may want to convert them to binary with MDLedit, and rename as appropriate

That pretty much sums it - just let me know at which part things are confusing or lack of necessary information. :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
Edited some critical information
  • Like 1

On the left toolbar there should be a button to load the ASCII - load it

Sorry, could you go into more detail here? I have gmax and kotormax installed correctly but the only toolbar to the left looks like this

Untitled.jpg.41e3cc0138ccf690ced4bb7744917e8a.jpg

Where do I go from here?

21 minutes ago, fringy said:
Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.41e3cc0138ccf690ced4bb7744917e8a.jpg

Where do I go from here?

Go with the [+ MDL Loading] - choose Import Geom Only and Import. I have edited mine as I realized there was lack of information there with the initial ones.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fringy said:
Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.fa7581b8d22d41723e6d2d8df3fd212a.jpg

I keep getting this error.

Hmm, you could try with this -

1. Open kotormax.ini from this path [by default]
    gmax \ scripts \ KOTORmax

2. Try to make sure having this on your end
    usemax=0

Not really sure if it was set to 1 or already 0 but I recall having encountered that too. But again, vaguely remembering how it was.

• Thanks 1

Hello there, does anyone have ''K1's Supermodels'' uploaded somewhere? I'm trying to fix the same problem here and the link seems to be down.