Thor110

[WIP][Beta] Expanded Galaxy Project

23 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

The Port requires an installation of both games to install, so my current guess is that you did not select both installations.

Heh, I wish! I did indeed have a fresh unmodded version of Kotor installed and did point them both but it seems my Kotor II installation is missing certain key files that halt the game from even playing after the patch is done. As I did ignore this warning earlier and installed regardless only for TSL to never make it past the character creator without crashing to desktop. After, I have just modded my Kotor 03' Override with some graphical upgrades and changed the modules and dlg.tlk for a small gameplay change: KOTOR1 Gameplay and Immersion Rebalancing By: NecroAvalon. 

Having done that I don't think trying the port again would be feasible? I would have thought the original has to be completely unmodified. But if not I'll try the holopatcher again and tell you what warnings I received when the launcher refused to cooperate. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Natural Law said:

I would have thought the original has to be completely unmodified.

It doesn't matter, but any of the files it needs that are replaced by mods would transfer along with it.

Currently that's only the contents of the following folders, lips, movies, streammusic, streamwaves and streamsounds.

Update : Temporary Solution

If anyone else experiences that error, just use the drop down menu instead of the browse button, this should be fixed shortly though.

Edited by Thor110
Temporary Solution

3 hours ago, Elirose said:

So do I just install one of them or all in order?

It depends on which one you want to play.

Refer to the readme on : https://github.com/Thor110/Expanded-Galaxy-Main

Install the pre-requisites, then Main, if you want to play the Port, it requires Main, if you want to play Brotherhood, it requires the Port, which requires the Main Expanded Galaxy.

19 hours ago, Thor110 said:

It depends on which one you want to play.

Refer to the readme on : https://github.com/Thor110/Expanded-Galaxy-Main

Install the pre-requisites, then Main, if you want to play the Port, it requires Main, if you want to play Brotherhood, it requires the Port, which requires the Main Expanded Galaxy.

While running the Github exe for the Port I'm getting this error and It just never starts installing.

image.png.7b8cba693192f9087158892e3c5bf1af.png

2 minutes ago, Elirose said:

While running the Github exe for the Port I'm getting this error and It just never starts installing.

image.png.7b8cba693192f9087158892e3c5bf1af.png

Try using the dropdown instead of the browse button to select the locations of the games.

I thought this had been fixed but maybe not as I haven't worked on the project in quite some time.

30 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Try using the dropdown instead of the browse button to select the locations of the games.

I thought this had been fixed but maybe not as I haven't worked on the project in quite some time.

that's not giving me the popup anymore, but it's not starting the install still

1 minute ago, Elirose said:

I tried this with a fresh install (minus like 1 or 2 things) and it's going now

Good to know, but might I ask what you mean by the following?

1 minute ago, Elirose said:

(minus like 1 or 2 things)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thor110 said:

Good to know, but might I ask what you mean by the following?

I added the k1 restored content stuff originally and a few smaller model change mods to my k1 folder. It all worked when I did it with a fresh install, but it won't go past character creation.

Edited by Elirose

12 minutes ago, Elirose said:

I added the k1 restored content stuff originally and a few smaller model change mods to my k1 folder. It all worked when I did it with a fresh install, but it won't go past character creation.

That shouldn't have made a difference to be honest.

Yeah it seems some people are experiencing an issue getting past character creation, that isn't happening for me though, so unfortunately there's nothing I can suggest for that at the moment.

A small update on something I have been working on over the past few days.

Currently this all resides in a folder called "Korriban Expansion Works"

The modders resource is intended for anyone that wishes to add the Library & Teachers Quarters rooms from TSL to the first game, the rubble has been removed and an empty level is included that just contains the assets that are present in the second game so they can be used as reference.

korriban-expansion-1.png.ba5e4458319e4031f1e6eac5d45aafda.png

I added the missing beds to the teachers quarters and the spotlights under the doors to both rooms and made a number of small edits to the models.

korriban-expansion-3.png.f8a9e201a66511525dd499d74544a03d.png

There are a few small changes, such as the computers not being broken and each placeable now uses a string from the first games dialog.tlk ( Bag, Computer, Door, Footlocker ) as does the map note waypoint.

korriban-expansion-2.png.png.a7e416a4b59c92e6e5647b2290fcd44c.png

I have of course also added these areas to the port of KotOR1 and have plans to make use of them eventually.

K2_00000.jpg.aadee212f4def5a102370ace871b4e97.jpg

As well as that I spent quite a while editing the visibility file after finding quite a few different spots from which you could see that rooms appeared or disappeared in both K1 and TSL.

K2_00001.jpg.bb5497a937102b3fbea02301f802cec3.jpg

I am surprised that these made it into the game.

There are quite a few more as well, but they can only be noticed from a long distance.

Spoiler

I notice these rooms popping in and out of existence even from a distance so I decided to fix them.

K2_00000.jpg.6330c20d96b142ed283d191a021d0cd1.jpg

Even if they are barely visible to some.

K2_00002.jpg.2d1244725742df0b5e4a55683798c791.jpg

Some are quite prominently displayed such as this one which is or rather isn't visible from the hallway to the Library.

K2_00003.jpg.b584c7d5a02de7a75d3e5d714edcf022.jpg

I also spent a number of hours editing the minimap and correcting a sizing error present in the original mini map.

lbl_mapm35aa.png.9223c9bca620e947422a39cd03c91aff.png

I created a fixed version of the minimap for K1 as well which doesn't include the extra rooms, turns out some of the rooms are slightly out of line with the player so I tinkered with the map pixel by pixel until I could run around the edge of the entire level and everything felt right.

On top of all this I fixed a few geometry errors where there were holes in walls or extra faces that weren't visible in both the TSL version of Korriban and the K1 version and added the spotlights under the doors to the two new rooms.

Spoiler

This shows a random extra face that existed but wasn't actually visible anywhere.

702KOR2c-extra1.png.65543bdcf71ca59770c7d2b8b30f5ee2.png

It was instead buried in the floor.

702KOR2c-extra2.png.67da6a8dc4087ab3666fee7ce017651a.png

This area didn't have any geometry at all so there was just a hole in the wall which was clearly visible when walking through this hallway.

fix-this-elsewhere.jpg.dad147735a3ce9069a17ffe94dc13ee2.jpg

Here are some more screenshots showing the changes.

Spoiler

Here is that hole I mentioned in the hallway to the Library.

702KOR2c.png.54c224601e77b7f197b46110cf824b09.png

This is it fixed, though the UV and lightmap could do with a bit more work.

702KOR2c-fix.png.dd992ef6f577c4923953062ee8e6e43c.png

There was also some missing geometry in these pillars in the Library and in the Teachers Quarters.

This is the Library.

702KOR2d.png.4c0c20d6798de3e289543e3cb7c6c155.png

This is the Teachers Quarters.

702KOR2e.png.ec3de94a910cb03fd897f881418d3f2f.png

This is it fixed.

702KORe-fix.png.3af1e9209bf515729ddacb3e31a14d16.png

I also added the spotlight to both of the doors to the Library and Teachers Quarters in the K1 version of the map, as well as the door to the Library in the TSL version of the map as it is absent for some reason.

There were also some other oddities I noticed that I might try and fix one day.

odds.jpg.7970b827c0be81f321a57c20f12b6182.jpg

Such as here, there are spotlights that are part of the model 702KOR2e and 702KOR2f but they should belong to 702KORe and 702KORf...

Finally I have cleaned up a load more files that didn't need to be in the port or main portion of the project.

Every step forwards is a step closer to completion, I know most people want me to get a move on and populate the areas with content, but I don't want to rush anything, I want to get the foundations laid and free of issues, expand upon and fix whatever I can and then set about adding new content.

There is also the matter of making a functional launcher that includes a save importer and allows easy access to all of the relevant functions and is capable of launching both games, at the moment a basic launcher is included with the GitHub version and works but doesn't implement the save importer functions.

Still looking for people to join the team, so if you have any modding experience with the games or just want to help out by testing, feel free to reach out to me.

The modders resource version of this will be available as soon as it's authorised.

I have also submitted Mobile M478EP and Mobile Coruscant.

Spoiler

Mobile M478EP

mm478ep2.png.e5e0b8c35b2e0a25071eef92cbbbebcd.png

Mobile Coruscant

mcoruscant5.png.86c68dbcb635e7cef79d229ec8111df7.png

Working on versions for the original Xbox as well as Switch and any other platform this game is available on.

I think that's everything.

702KORr.png

• Like 2
  • Light Side Points 1

49 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

I am surprised that these made it into the game.

It's pretty common for them to aggressively cull any rooms that aren't blatantly obvious (and try to mask anything else with fog). Remember the original was designed to run at 640x480, so it wouldn't have been anywhere near as noticeable. And the Xbox only had a shared 64MB RAM pool. K1CP has fixed the odd similar occurrence (in the Vulkar base, for example).

25 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

It's pretty common for them to aggressively cull any rooms that aren't blatantly obvious (and try to mask anything else with fog). Remember the original was designed to run at 640x480, so it wouldn't have been anywhere near as noticeable. And the Xbox only had a shared 64MB RAM pool. K1CP has fixed the odd similar occurrence (in the Vulkar base, for example).

Good point, I did sort of consider that, but not being able to see the hallway directly across from 702KOR2c, through 702KORr to 702KORt seems like overkill, there is only 7 rooms visible now, it was 6 before I added 702KORt, but some rooms have as many as 10 by default, some even more.

702kor2c-to-702kort.jpg.ffc638f28303858863e1015a25685fcc.jpg

Though admittedly if you run around that corner quickly enough there is only a split second in which you have time to notice it spawn in.

It's definitely worth fixing these days though, I find it quite noticeable anyway.

Speaking of .vis files, I never did get them working for the ported levels, if I recall it was the lack of a root node or something along those lines but just not having a .vis file forces the whole thing to render, which works for now.

• Like 1