Sith Holocron

[KotOR2] Please improve my least favorite texture in the game.

My least favorite texture in KotOR2 is for a desk with a unchanging monitor.  There is a texture called "PLC_comPanel". Here's the the texture I'm talking about.

fV4chZG.png

And here's an example of one of the many places you'll see it. (Two monitors a little bit behind the long table in the picture use this texture.)

UEC7U5F.png

Though the rest of the desk texture could use some work, the monitor portion is the one that really irks me.  I'd love to see the whole thing improved and if someone was to throw in some animation, that would great too!  I'm open to multiple submissions.  In this case, I'm hoping for multiple requests this time around - just in case folks I know are making movies that could some extra variety.  (So even if you think someone else has made a better one, I'll still want to see yours.)

The best way to display your work for myself and others reading this thread: Embed a small video clip into your post (like a YouTube video), That should do nicely.

• Like 1

I noticed those delightful monitors several times when I was making my TSL adaptation. A fresh coat of paint on them would definitely go a long way!

• Thanks 1

I'll take a crack with the inanimated version. Keep your expectations low; I'm no Jorak Uln or XediiXarwarz lol. 😵

• WIP:
    Spoiler

PLC_comPanelWIP.PNG.9dcc493c8751288eb01ebec25be613a2.PNG

I'm getting it to 512x512 with slight enhanced details, whilst the vanilla version is 256x256; but still digging with ideas for the monitor part- which I don't have the experience on lol

Once you're finished with it @ebmar, perhaps you can post a picture it as seen in the game? 

I'd love to see as many takes on these desk as possible, including by @Jorak Uln and anyone else that would like to give it a go.

17 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

Once you're finished with it ebmar, perhaps you can post a picture it as seen in the game?

Sure thing. This is an in-game preview of the end-result from my attempt:

Spoiler

1182493155_PLC_comPanelUpdate_Preview.thumb.png.c726b361d799b09293d0877e2daa90c2.png

The texture now sized at 1024x1024, whilst the former is 512x512 [vanilla is 256x256]. No significant change to the structure, only defining the buttons on the panel and adding Cubemaps to the circle panel and the monitor. The HUD shown in the monitor is not my work. I grabbed it from Free HUD Vector Elements, and only take part what is needed.

Edited by ebmar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

It looks very interesting

Thanks! Appreciate it. :cheers:

Does it animate?

Nope. I don't have the required skills to animate it lol.

Perhaps I can do something with it to make it animate - with your texture and with that HUD vector elements link you provided.  I'm at work so I can check out the link right now. 

You still list it as a preview though.  Were you going to go further with the texture?

36 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

Perhaps I can do something with it to make it animate - with your texture and with that HUD vector elements link you provided.

Cool- here's the source that you can work with:

You still list it as a preview though.  Were you going to go further with the texture?

I was thinking about adding something to that hanging plate below the panel but, I'm not sure. Maybe in this case the lesser the better, and I personally like the way as-is right now. 🤔