Sign in to follow this  

Adding more Alien types to KOTOR

So I started a topic on JKHub; https://jkhub.org/topic/10368-give-something-back/

I was wondering if anyone would fulfil my request in this matter?

I terms of adding a few more Alien types to KOTOR 1 & 2, particularly the Cantina's and some of the non-voiced Alien NPC's in KOTOR such as Uriah, and it would also mean the Galaxy wasn't primarily inhabited by Twi'leks and humans.

EDIT:

Species List so far:

Quermian

Skakoan

Nautolan

Togruta

Cerean

Kel Dor

Zabrak

Gotal

Neimoidian

Sarkan

Kubaz

Vurk

Ongree

Mon Calamari

Anx

&

New Twi'lek Male Model

I think that's enough to add.

So I started a topic on JKHub; https://jkhub.org/topic/10368-give-something-back/

I was wondering if anyone would fulfil my request in this matter?

I terms of adding a few more Alien types to KOTOR 1 & 2, particularly the Cantina's and some of the non-voiced Alien NPC's in KOTOR such as Uriah, and it would also mean the Galaxy wasn't primarily inhabited by Twi'leks and humans. 

Well, Kotor 1 has the Klatuu Barada and Nikto as the Racer thugs, a (Presumably) Iridonian, Tusken Raiders, Aqualish, Hutt,  Ithorian, Duros, Weequay, Jawa, Gamorrean, Wookiee, Whatever species Vandar is, Bith, Selkath, Rakata, Rodian, and Ja-Gatcha.

TSL added the Gran, Toydarian, Devaronian, Zeltron, Quarren, Gand, Chadra-Fan, and Sullustan.

Altogether, that's fair amount of alien species.

I think the biggest issue is that the games simply didn't utilize a lot of this variety in anywhere but the Cantina locations. Plus TSL was more or less a sparse population in general. (possibly to deal with the limitations of the consoles, or because they ran out of time to implement more space for NPCs)

In TSL, you see a Zeltron, Toydarian, Chadra-Fan, and Devaronian only once in the entire game; and the Quarren, Sullustan, and Gran twice.

I'm all for adding more varieties of aliens, but I don't see where you would put them.

Well, there are plenty of generic civilian NPCs who only have a few lines when you interact with them. No reason you can't replace some humans since aliens speak Basic all the time

• Like 1

You see Quarren three times actually in TSL, the problem with the Aliens you listed is that most of them just have one body model and texture, so it feels cheap when you see multiple of them.

I think the sparse populations suit TSL too.

I don't recall there being any Weequay in K1, just K2. But there is a Gran in K1.

I also believe the Male Twi'leks look awful so I'd replace their model too.

I can think of quite a few NPC's that could be changed into new Alien types;

Bif in K1 into a Ongree.

Lur Arkas in K1 into a Vurk.

The Enclave Merchant to a Mon Calamari.

The Merchant outside the Enclave to an Anx.

Some of these and many others like the Gotal, Sarkan, Nemodian and Kubaz would be simple head swaps that could do wonders for variation and reduce the cloning effect to be nigh unnoticed.

In any case, I could definitely think of places to put them.

Klatuu Barada and Nikto 

Wait... this is really a thing huh?

Personally speaking, I think we'd do well to get some of the more humanoid aliens in-game (I realize these are not on your list, sorry Lucy, I'm spitballing here)

Arkanian/Echani

Nautolan

Togruta

Zabrak

Rattataki

Miraluka

Zeltron (like Luxa)

More varied Twi'lek heads, maybe ones that are not from The Hills Have Eyes?

Whatever Plo Koon is

Moar Sith Pure bloods pls

Ki Adi "What about the droid attack on the Wookiees" Mundi

A lot of these are human-like, which I guess works pretty well in terms of varying styles. You can just plop the head on a different body, and of course you can recolor each head

I remember DarthParametric had a project that added aliens like Kit Fisto's species and the Kel Dor aka Plo Koon but he stopped the project as he needed people to reskin them and no one wanted to reskin them. I know the Kel Dor is a modder's recourse for someone to complete it- http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/1131-kel-dor-modders-resource-for-k1/

Also in the Revenge of Revan mod Demo, their are reskin of Commoner head's that make them alien's like Chiss, Jana Lorso's species, Zeltron, Rattataki etc. When Logan123 comes back online someone could ask him for permission to use them in some sort of alien mod.

Also in the Revenge of Revan mod Demo, there are reskin of Commoner head's that make them alien's like Chiss, Jana Lorso's species, Zeltron, Rattataki etc. When Logan123 comes back online someone could ask him for permission to use them in some sort of alien mod.

RedRob41 made those so you'd have to ask his permission, not Logan23's.

I remember DarthParametric had a project that added aliens like Kit Fisto's species and the Kel Dor aka Plo Koon but he stopped the project as he needed people to reskin them and no one wanted to reskin them. I know the Kel Dor is a modder's recourse for someone to complete it- http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/1131-kel-dor-modders-resource-for-k1/

The Kel Dor modder's resource was released for both K1 and TSL. It primarily needs someone to texture it, but the model could also use some skin weight adjustment for the face if it was going to be used for NPCs engaged in dialogue.

The problem with the Nautolans was the skin weights for the head-tails. I could never get something that worked for a player (or NPC engaging in combat) that didn't have massive deformation issues. They could work for standing-in-place NPCs, but they'd still need to be textured (and 99% of people would cry about lack of a player head version anyway). I never bothered releasing them because who exactly was going to both texture and skin them properly? Nobody.

The problem with threads like this is always "who's going to do all the work?". Even if the JKO/JKA modders gave you permission to port their already textured models, who's going to rig them for KOTOR? There are already a bunch of threads about the same thing for other JKO/JKA models that have gone unfulfilled for years. If you want a realistic chance of actually seeing something materialise, you'd be far better served sticking to the existing pool of models available in the game. Plucking the heads off full body models to allow them to use the regular clothes/armour models is a much more practical goal, and has already been done previously in some cases (both RedRob and JCarter have done so, off the top of my head). You could even extend that to add in hands for those species with unique ones, which requires extra work but is not impossible.

• Like 1

My name has been uttered - lo, I have been summoned through the dark arts.

Plucking the heads off full body models to allow them to use the regular clothes/armour models is a much more practical goal, and has already been done previously in some cases (both RedRob and JCarter have done so, off the top of my head). You could even extend that to add in hands for those species with unique ones, which requires extra work but is not impossible.

Yeah, I've done some, and I've done some more that I haven't released yet. I've been going through all the viable ones that I didn't do before (and also fixing some of the ones I did) but I broke the game during testing, so progress has been slow. For the next release I want to do body variations as you mentioned; at the very released, I'll do two more size variations for all the armors - a tiny set for Gand, Gran, and other short individuals, and an XL set for Trandoshans and Malak-sized individuals. And then if I'm not lazy I'll consider the hands too.

But like I said, progress has been slow.

Personally speaking, I think we'd do well to get some of the more humanoid aliens in-game

Yeah, it's certainly easier, but the tricky thing with humanoid aliens is you have to use a human head as a base, and then it's going to look like a head that's already in the game. So it makes it easier to add something to the game, but it doesn't exactly add variety. You can make some changes, of course, but that's easier with some species than others, and the more changes it needs the closer you are to making an entirely new head. So it's tricky. Still, there are a lot of possibilities here.

There are some I have done and haven't released. I've got a Zeltron, a Sephi, and a couple Zabraks. Maybe I'll get some pictures up when I get a chance.

I've considered trying a Cerean, actually. I never decided which head would be the best base for it, though. I've also thought about trying a Theelin.

To add to the list, Falleen wouldn't be so difficult. These are a bit more out there, but I've pondered on the Vultan, Quermian, Mandallian, Skakoan, and Givin. I haven't had the courage to attempt any seriously, though.

Yeah, I've done some, and I've done some more that I haven't released yet. I've been going through all the viable ones that I didn't do before (and also fixing some of the ones I did) but I broke the game during testing, so progress has been slow. For the next release I want to do body variations as you mentioned; at the very released, I'll do two more size variations for all the armors - a tiny set for Gand, Gran, and other short individuals, and an XL set for Trandoshans and Malak-sized individuals. And then if I'm not lazy I'll consider the hands too.

But like I said, progress has been slow.

If some of them are done why not release what you've done and once you finish another alien release that alien as well and keep on doing that until all the aliens are done.

RedRob41 made those so you'd have to ask his permission, not Logan23's.

That's unfortunate as RedRob41 is probably never coming back. Would anyone have a means of contacting him? 

If some of them are done why not release what you've done and once you finish another alien release that alien as well and keep on doing that until all the aliens are done.

I don't have much in releasable condition. For me, the biggest pain is getting everything into the game, testing it, and making the installer, so everything is polished and runs smoothly and all those good things. And I've been known to mess that up. Right now I'm sitting on a ton of complete or half-complete assets that haven't been tested. I always let it pile up so I can go through all the annoying steps at once and then finally release it, but this time I broke appearance.2da while doing that. I'm still cleaning up that mess.

Personally speaking, I think we'd do well to get some of the more humanoid aliens in-game.

Arkanian/Echani

Nautolan

Togruta

Zabrak

Rattataki

Miraluka

Zeltron (like Luxa)

More varied Twi'lek heads, maybe ones that are not from The Hills Have Eyes?

Whatever Plo Koon is

Moar Sith Pure bloods pls

Hm, I wouldn't want more Echani as that takes away from uniqueness and big deal that's made about the Handmaidens.

Same for Miraluka, Zeltron and Sith.

Sith Purebloods would be particularly egregious considering they're meant to be hiding out in the Unknown Regions.

Agreed about Plo Koon, Ki Adi Mundi and the Male Twi'leks though, Nautolan and Togruta would work too but might be difficult.

Hm, I wouldn't want more Echani as that takes away from uniqueness and big deal that's made about the Handmaidens.

Same for Miraluka, Zeltron and Sith.

Sith Purebloods would be particularly egregious considering they're meant to be hiding out in the Unknown Regions.

Agreed about Plo Koon, Ki Adi Mundi and the Male Twi'leks though, Nautolan and Togruta would work too but might be difficult.

All good points about the uniqueness. And yeah the Sith Purebloods would be out of place generally speaking, but it would still be cool to sneak one in as a Korriban statue

On 2/27/2018 at 1:04 AM, N-DReW25 said:

That's unfortunate as RedRob41 is probably never coming back. Would anyone have a means of contacting him? 

I’m not completely disappeared, lol. I’ve just been too busy being a dad to spend much time on my own hobbies. I’ll admit, this week was the first time in a long time I’ve even browsed the forums.

Plus, ever since I started using Windows 10, I’ve been having trouble playing K1 or TSL, and I can’t work on models because the NWMax plugin keeps getting blocked. Which is unfortunate, because I want to merge some TSL head models in order to re-create the K1 playable heads. 

If anyone can point me in the direction of a NWMax update, I’d be really thankful. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:53 PM, DarthParametric said:

It's a whole new world now. NWMax is old news.

Is it ever. I know I disappeared for nearly 2 years, but it's a great feeling that the modding community here is alive and well!

I've been downloading and trying out the new tools, and is it my imagination, or did someone figure out how to get bumpmapping to work? That would be amazing!

24 minutes ago, redrob41 said:

is it my imagination, or did someone figure out how to get bumpmapping to work?

Yep, normal map functionality has been implemented. It was a two part issue, requiring both stuff in the model and saving the maps as TPCs. The models in this thread all use normal maps. There are some engine limitations regarding what you can do with them though, particularly when trying to combine them with envmaps.