AussieDM

Mod caused resolution to be larger than frame (KotoR 1)

Looked for this but couldn't find it in existing posts.

I used a mod guide, installed mods in order, and then started playing. But one of the mods caused a weird issue where the viewable area was smaller than the playable area. It was as if the game had been set to a higher resolution, like say 1920x1080, but the window I was playing in was only 1280x860 or whatever.

I tried going back and uninstalling one by one, but it was just too many mods and so much work that I gave up and reinstalled. Plus I'm not sure if you can even unmod something that's been TSL Patched?

Anyway, I was hoping that maybe this was a known issue with a particular mod so that I could avoid using it this time around before going through the hours long process of modding.

The guide I was using was this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/3c2kvw/kotor_1_and_2_mod_builds_guaranteed_compatibility/csromdl

Obvious question but did you ask the maker of the guide about it?

I think the person (creator of the mod guide, not the mod itself) is a mod or admin here which is why I'm asking here. The reddit thread can't be posted to anymore and I wasn't keen on creating a new thread simply to ask a question of a particular person there.

He is not a mod here. You can send Snigaroo a PM on Reddit. He is good about responding. (I have found him to be so.)

Another obvious question, but: Does this issue happen before you install the mods? Because looking at that list, I see none that affect the GUI.

Nope. Works fine before I do anything at all to it.

Although once I start changing things, it all seems to go side-ways in more ways than just this. After the third reinstall of the game (making sure to delete the Steam folders that stick around even after uninstalling through Steam), my first change was to try Flawless Widescreen. Worked perfectly the first time and then every time after that, it windows down to 800x600. I noticed that somewhere, somehow, before I'd even tried with Flawless changes, that 800x600 tga files are being put into the Override folder. Which is just odd as I have no idea where they're coming from and if I try and delete them, they come back after starting the game up again.

I've also noticed that the changes I first made to the swkotor.exe for the widescreen fix (changing compatibility mode) remain even after deletion and reinstall so I'm guessing that's something in Windows somewhere.

I dunno. At this point, after spending several hours over several days, trying to get this all to work, I'm thinking it's all just not worth it.

As SH has said, no, I'm not an admin here. To be honest I don't even really check deadlystream aside from uploaded files very much; he was kind enough to point me in this direction. Any further questions you've got about the build should be directed to me in a PM on reddit.

I've already got two distinct ideas for what could be causing this--as SH said it's probably that you're using Flawless on a version of the game which already has native 1920x1080 support--but it could be one other thing. If you PM me, I can help you work it out.

Why are you using Flawless with the Steam version?

Because there was a link to it on that discussion and I'd used it before, years ago. Honestly I didn't know there was any other way.

As SH has said, no, I'm not an admin here. To be honest I don't even really check deadlystream aside from uploaded files very much; he was kind enough to point me in this direction. Any further questions you've got about the build should be directed to me in a PM on reddit.

I've already got two distinct ideas for what could be causing this--as SH said it's probably that you're using Flawless on a version of the game which already has native 1920x1080 support--but it could be one other thing. If you PM me, I can help you work it out.

Oh OK, sorry. I would've PM'd but I find forums easier and wanted to try and tap a greater pool of people to see if it was a known issue. I'll take it to reddit then.

@SH and Snigaroo: The thread title does say "KotOR 1" at the end, so I'm assuming Steam version doesn't matter..

If it is Flawless Widescreen that's screwing up, you can try removing the game from Flawless Widescreen's settings or even uninstalling Flawless Widescreen entirely.

@SH and Snigaroo: The thread title does say "KotOR 1" at the end, so I'm assuming Steam version doesn't matter..

Ah, yes, that would be true, I didn't check the thread title. When OP referred to deleting Steam folders, I thought he was talking about Workshop folders, not the game folder itself. I just assumed it was KOTOR 2.

That does leave me scratching my head a bit, but nevertheless usually stuff like this can be worked out.

If it is Flawless Widescreen that's screwing up, you can try removing the game from Flawless Widescreen's settings or even uninstalling Flawless Widescreen entirely.

Flawless Widescreen has issues with Steams version of Kotor 1 FS...

Flawless Widescreen has issues with Steams version of Kotor 1 FS...

Flawless Widescreen has massive issues with just about everything, honestly, but your point is taken. I've never encountered the particular issue the OP is referring to, however, nor have I had it function fine (which OP indicated was the case) prior to the builds being installed. Additionally, the guide I suggest to users for FW is Xuul's, and generally speaking the setup he does is very good for making it work with KOTOR, even though it's sub-optimal to UniWS.

The OP hasn't PM'd me on reddit yet, but whatever the issues I'm still confident I can help fix them.

It takes a bit of effort to get it to work properly

Figured it out. It was Flawless (which ironically isn't flawless).

The guide has a link to a YouTube video that says to use Flawless Widescreen. The sidebar for the reddit says to use UniWS.

Thanks for the assist.

I get pretty good results with FW and K1 (steam), however, it DOES take some tinkering. Lots of times, starting the game I notice FW for whatever reason fails to "hook" the game process before it's actually running, which means it reverts to 800 x 600, and I have to quit and restart a few times to make it behave.

There's even been cases where I had to specifically "reset" the resolution settings by manually re-setting it to 800 x 600, launching until I see the game process actually 'hooks' before it switches to full screen, THEN again manually selecting one of the new FW resolutions.

So yeah.. it can definitely be twitchy at times, but it'll work if you argue with it enough. ;)

• Like 1

Figured it out. It was Flawless (which ironically isn't flawless).

The guide has a link to a YouTube video that says to use Flawless Widescreen. The sidebar for the reddit says to use UniWS.

Thanks for the assist.

Can you clarify what your issue was for me?

a- The game rendering at 1080p but the HUD being too small

b- The game rendering at 1080p but the mouse was constrained to only part of the screen

c- something else

Can you clarify what your issue was for me?

a- The game rendering at 1080p but the HUD being too small

b- The game rendering at 1080p but the mouse was constrained to only part of the screen

c- something else

c

This is a random screen shot found by Google Image that I've altered to demonstrate. The first image is what a normal screen might look like and the second is what mine looked like:

URCnWhQ.jpg

EU3cBUo.jpg