Sign in to follow this  
Rustiie

CHEATS!

Hello Everyone, I am new to the Modding Community for KOTOR 1 & 2. 

I would like to learn how to start working on my own mods as well as playing other people's mods. I started playing KOTOR 2 again today and wanted to start using the Console Commands. Although after going through my files (listed Below), I can't bring up the Console Commands for some reason..

Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > SteamApps > Common > swkotor > swkotor 

I opened up the file as a Text Document and went under Game Options and added the Text :  EnableCheats=1

After double Checking to make sure I saved appropriately, I closed the file and started the game back up. I was told that the "  `  " key is what brings up the Console Commands although when I use it nothing happens. I was also told if that doesn't work try using the Numeric keys which should be like Left ALT 6 and or 9.

Those also failed me in my attempts to bring up the Console Commands.

If anyone could give me a hand I would appreciate it! Thanks again!

Are you trying to use the console for K1 or K2? 

In K2 the text is not visible even with cheats enabled. Load the game and enter a cheat ( you can just use heal or warp for testing) and see if it works.

The file-path you posted is for Kotor 1 though, in that game the console is visible.

For K2 you need to edit that games ini. The directory you want is  Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > SteamApps > common > Knights of the Old Republic II

• Like 1

Ahh! Thats where I must have gone wrong. After reading your comment I finally got it working. This is gonna be sweet! Thanks alot for the info! 

Relating to this, I'm in something of a similar conundrum.

I tried editing the ini for the first game to give me cheats, but it told me I didn't have the privileges

So I moved the file to my desktop and edited there, and I then moved it back into the swkotor folder

Oddly enough, console still won't come up

Any ideas what's wrong?

Goat, Have you double checked it to make sure it was all spelled correctly?  Make sure that is saves properly as well. I made that mistake that when I did it, and I must not have saved. For about an hour and a half I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work and that I did the file thing correctly. I took a look back at it and it wasn't even saved in there.

Make sure you type     EnableCheats=1   just under   Game options, save it, and then just move the folder back into the game folder. 

I tried editing the ini for the first game to give me cheats, but it told me I didn't have the privileges

So I moved the file to my desktop and edited there, and I then moved it back into the swkotor folder

Any ideas what's wrong?

I'm having the same problem. I'm sure it's spelled correctly. I was able to enable the cheats fine before, though that was on another computer.

Did you make sure to drag it to your desktop then edit it and drag it back to the file? Not sure why I had to do that exactly although it did resolve the issue once I figured out where I went wrong.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I'm having the same problem. I'm sure it's spelled correctly. I was able to enable the cheats fine before, though that was on another computer.

Your game is installed in the programfiles folder then. That means it's UAC protected.

Right click the ini file and run as an administrator. Then add the line to enable cheats

Your game is installed in the programfiles folder then. That means it's UAC protected.

Right click the ini file and run as an administrator. Then add the line to enable cheats

I don't  have the option to run as administrator...

Make sure your Kotor2.ini isn't set to read only, then go to the security tab and press edit to grant access to edit this file to all users on this PC. This will prevent you from having to click and drag the Kotor2.ini file to the desktop. Then set your Kotor2 shortcut to be compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Add the appropriate line to enable cheats, then save. Make sure to run in Administrator mode as well. Remember, the console is invisible.  If you press the tilde (button next to 1 on standard keyboards) and you can't move after pressing it once, the console is enabled and cheats work.

Let me know how it goes. :D

• Like 1

I don't  have the option to run as administrator...

Yeah my bad. I have a registry tweak on my PC.

If you make a shortcut you can use that option for the ini

You can also change the security to the file under properties then go to the security tab and press edit to grant access to edit this file to all users on this PC.

Yeah my bad. I have a registry tweak on my PC.

If you make a shortcut you can use that option for the ini

You can also change the security to the file under properties then go to the security tab and press edit to grant access to edit this file to all users on this PC.

I think you misunderstood my problem. I've already edited the .ini file and been able to save it. The cheat console just won't show up.

To clear up any confusion, I'm talking about KOTOR1 here.

I think you misunderstood my problem. I've already edited the .ini file and been able to save it. The cheat console just won't show up.

To clear up any confusion, I'm talking about KOTOR1 here.

Ok. Well make sure you have the entry in the correct ini file "EnableCheats=1"  under Game options. Set your game to run as administrator when you launch.

Then launch the game and press the button that is to the left of the "1" on your keyboard. It will have the following symbols     " ~  `  "

After that come back and let us know if it worked.

If it didn't post your OS, & version of Kotor (retail, steam, ect) 

• Like 1

Xuul You should take a look at my post about why my game is crashing. Could use some help. just posted links of pictures I took of the kind of issues Im having

Unfortunately I won't be able to test that out until the weekend. I'll report back on that once I figure it out. Mostly just want to warp around to admire Kex's new skyboxes xD

I usually have to switch my keyboard layout to English in order to use the console, as it somehow doesn't Work with The German layout. And I also have to do that while ingame and it switches back as soon as I minimize The Game. The shortcut to do so is Alt+Shift. Not Sure if that works with other languages but it could be worth a try.

Well, running as admin worked for cheats, but for some reason, when I do that I'm unable to access like half my saves. At least 13 of them didn't appear on the list. Odd

That's because the security center moves files somewhere else if you're non-Admin, and as Admin you only read the files on their proper location.

For the cheats console, I need to press ´ first, and then Shift + ´ (so it's `)... doing it the other way around works too, but then I need to remove a space from the console first, which is a pain to remember in TSL. Keyboard layouts do weird things.