Sign in to follow this  
Guest R2-X2

Best version of the game to buy?

Guest R2-X2

Hey there,

I wanted to gift KotOR 1 to a younger brother of mine, but now I'm wondering which one to get for him? Considering widescreen and Win 7 or soon Win 10, what would be best? 4-CD with patches? GOG? Steam? Or even a DVD edition?

Using an old win xp installation with a 1280x1024 for this game, I have no idea about compatibility.

Hey there,

I wanted to gift KotOR 1 to a younger brother of mine, but now I'm wondering which one to get for him? Considering widescreen and Win 7 or soon Win 10, what would be best? 4-CD with patches? GOG? Steam? Or even a DVD edition?

Using an old win xp installation with a 1280x1024 for this game, I have no idea about compatibility.

Steam, would be the easier option, as there are sales often. Since there is no disk, he would never lose the game (as long as you write down steam details).

By the way, does KotOR 1 even come in 4-CD???

Steam IMO. That  way if you ever lost your computer data or something, you could just re download the game as long as you know your password of course :)

Guest R2-X2

Is the Steam version playable without having to start Steam? (Applies to 2 of the 4 games I have on Steam.)

And yes Ninko, that's the way it originally came out for PC, and also the version I have. :)

No, the Steam version requires you to have Steam running.

But I'd go for the GOG version anyway. It has no DRM and is better optimized than any other version available, making it pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Too bad only that you didn't buy it a week earlier when there were Star Wars sales everywhere^^

Guest R2-X2

GOG was my favourite so far for that reason, and if you say that it is better optimised than the others, then I'll go for that. I hate DRM, so the Steam version would have needed to make up for that in other advantages. :P

Thanks for the information!

And yes, I should have bought it on the sale, but 10€ isn't too much for this game yet. :D

That's true^^

I'm not 100% sure if it's indeed better optimised since I couldn't test it myself yet, but it's certainly not worse and I think I've read that it's better a few times.

Steam, would be the easier option, as there are sales often. Since there is no disk, he would never lose the game (as long as you write down steam details).

By the way, does KotOR 1 even come in 4-CD???

Yes it does. I have the 4-CD KotOR and TSL.

They're not sold retail anymore though.

Yes it does. I have the 4-CD KotOR and TSL.

They're not sold retail anymore though.

Oh right, i have the 1-CD version and steam :)

Guest R2-X2

1 DVD you probably mean. :P The game didn't fit on a single CD.

Got him the game on GOG now and it runs just fine. (Currently visiting family.) Was a success so far; he wanted to go asleep over an hour ago but only now managed to close the game. :D

Also milestails, I'm pretty sure I've seen the 4 CD one in store not too long ago over here. :P

They still occassionally sell the 4-CD versions here... found a KOTOR2 for 2 euro in a budget bin actually 0_o

(Not that I bought it, having it 3x already)

We have 4-CD TSL here a lot, and 1 DVD KotOR 1. Although I have never seen 4-CD KotOR 1! Is there something special on each disk like the TSL ones?

Guest R2-X2

We have 4-CD TSL here a lot, and 1 DVD KotOR 1. Although I have never seen 4-CD KotOR 1! Is there something special on each disk like the TSL ones?

Om8pmVZ.jpg

There you go, Ninko, that's what my KotOR looks like. :)

On a side note, the KotOR 1 handbook was really well done, much better than TSL's, of which it had almost twice the length. I still use the class information tables in it to this day.

Om8pmVZ.jpg

There you go, Ninko, that's what my KotOR looks like. :)

On a side note, the KotOR 1 handbook was really well done, much better than TSL's, of which it had almost twice the length. I still use the class information tables in it to this day.

That is really cool! Are these kotor handbooks online to download? As sadly I have never owned one!! :( Also those disks look nice, the one that I own only has the top left in a CD :)

That is really cool! Are these kotor handbooks online to download? As sadly I have never owned one!! :( Also those disks look nice, the one that I own only has the top left in a CD :D

The manuals should be on one of the disks as a PDF file.

For example - on the Best of PC version, they are in the sub-folder called Manuals in the KOTOR folder.

Guest R2-X2

The GOG version has the handbook available as a separate download, while also being included in the installation. Can't say anything about Steam in that regard.

Considering that TSL's handbook is just way better than everything that's called handbook today, that says quite a bit about KotORs quality^^

The GOG version has the handbook available as a separate download, while also being included in the installation. Can't say anything about Steam in that regard.

Just checked and I couldn't find anything in the Steam version.

That is really cool! Are these kotor handbooks online to download? As sadly I have never owned one!! :( Also those disks look nice, the one that I own only has the top left in a CD :D

Here are the online digital manuals for both games linked from Steam:

KOTOR 1:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/32370/manuals/KOTORI_Manual.pdf?t=1430507414

KOTOR II:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/208580/manuals/KOTORII_Manual.pdf?t=1430507602

Enjoy.

Guest R2-X2

Considering that TSL's handbook is just way better than everything that's called handbook today, that says quite a bit about KotORs quality^^

That's very true. I miss the time of good game boxes with handbooks and whatnot. :s

Thanks a heap Malak! :D Will definitely download these and possible print them off and make them into booklets? aha :D

Now it makes me wonder where I placed my KOTOR1 booklet.

But yeah, disks look the same, 4th being placed inside a sheath inside the cover, and the first 3 just fitting ontop of each other on the other side.

Now it makes me wonder where I placed my KOTOR1 booklet.

But yeah, disks look the same, 4th being placed inside a sheath inside the cover, and the first 3 just fitting ontop of each other on the other side.

Oh cool! Now this has made me wonder if K2 also came as a 1DVD VERSION?