Dark_Ansem

Miles Sound Tools - gone forever?

Miles sound tools is the only available tool which works with KOTOR sounds. unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared from the web.
Does someone still have it?

Miles sound tools is the only available tool which works with KOTOR sounds. unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared from the web.

Does someone still have it?

I think I still have it. I will look when I get home tonight. If I do, I will email it to you packaged or as a link.

• Like 1

I used to use Miles Sound Studio on my old Windows XP. That computer - without expensive sericing - is pretty much done for. So I've attempted to Miles on my new computer which has Windows 7 as its OS. I seem to be having trouble using Miles now. I get an error message when attempting to open it.

MilesFAIL1_zps8f28ed7e.png

I can get this either just trying to play a sound file. I can also get it when try decompress one.

2. Decompression: However, sometimes I don't get that error message. I'll get a request for a codec from the program.

MilesFAIL2_zps1f4cb1d0.png

No codec for a WAV file? Come on, Miles . . . what do I need to make you work?

Might anyone have any suggestions?

Yup: download "Oracle VM VirtualBox" (Free), dust-off your old XP cd install and cd-key, and install a virtual computer.

Just in case there are still people looking for this in 2019 (and in case I ever forget), Miles Sound Studio is still available from the following archive location:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080512093039/http://www.radgametools.com/mssdown.htm

I can confirm the tool still works on Windows 10. As others have mentioned, the dialogue files should be in the following locations for KoTOR and KoTORII, respectively:

swkotor\streamwaves

Knights of the Old Republic II\StreamVoice

I needed to do the following to decompress and play the dialogue files on Win 10:

1) For safety, copy the source .wav files from the install location and paste elsewhere on your PC

2) Change the files to .mp3 by modifying the extension

3) Open milesstu.exe from Miles Sound Tools\tools\win

Note: The 64-bit versions of Miles Sound Tools do not appear to work with Win 10. The 32-bit versions work, but you must run them in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode

4) Select one of the copied .mp3 dialogue files, choose "Decompress", save with a new file name

This process should give you a useable .mp3 file that any player can work with. Good luck KoTOR fans!

• Thanks 2