WildKarrde

MOD:Yavin Station Hangar

Yavin Station Hangar

In the vanilla game, Yavin Station is the only location that does not have a proper hangar where the player can walk to and from the Ebon Hawk. This mod adds one that generally matches the original landing and takeoff cutscenes, although I have taken a few artistic liberties.  You may notice that, as with the original cutscenes, it looks remarkably similar to the Ahto City hangar on Manaan.  I can only assume that the same architect worked on both projects.

The hangar comes in two variants: with and without a visible forcefield effect over the hangar entrance.  By default, the forcefield is invisible.  To change between the visible and invisible forcefields, see the INSTALLATION instructions below.

Aside from adding the new hangar, I have also made a few additional edits to the station:
- Changed the stars to use a different, less-repetitive vanilla star texture.
- Fixed some questionable geometry at the main observation window.
- Edited the walkmesh by the observation window to correct a glitch where the player could teleport into space, originally documented by the KOTOR 1 Community Patch (K1CP).  (This mod's walkmesh fixes were made from scratch and do not reuse any K1CP material.)
- Added a proper load screen for the station.  (New for version 1.4)
- Added corridor geometry behind the various locked doors, in place of the original 2D backdrop.  (New for version 1.4)

IMPORTANT:  To experience the new hangar, you will need a save from before visiting Yavin Station for the first time.
ALSO IMPORTANT:  If you are upgrading from version 1.3 or earlier, a new save is also recommended to avoid issues with the lighting on the new airlock doors.

Thank you for downloading, and I hope you enjoy this mod!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTALLATION
Run INSTALL.exe, and follow the prompts.  If you have other mods installed, it is normal to see a warning that liv_m99aa.mod already exists and has been skipped.  If you are using "High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes" by Sithspecter, see below for additional instructions.

By default, the forcefield at the hangar entrance is invisible.  To add a visible forcefield effect, run INSTALL.exe again after finishing the main installation, and select "Optional: Add Visible Forcefield".

If you have previously installed version 1.3 or earlier of this mod, you can upgrade by installing directly over the old version.  Note, however, that you may need to reinstall any other mods which affect Yavin Station (specifically, any mods that edit m50aa.git).

Version 1.4 changes the appearance of the added airlock doors so that they look less like the Sith base doors.  If you prefer the appearance from version 1.0, copy the files in the folder "Option - Alternate Airlock Door (v1_0)" into Override.

COMPATIBILITY
This mod is incompatible with other mods that edit the area geometry of Yavin Station.  Reskins are technically compatible, but depending on how drastic they are, they might look strange with a few new textures from this mod.  If you are using a reskin of the Ebon Hawk's exterior, see the instructions below.

This mod is compatible with the Kotor 1 Community Patch (K1CP).  It has not been tested with the KOTOR 1 Restoration (K1R) or the K1 Yavin IV Planet Mod, but I do not expect any significant compatibility issues.  For best results, install this mod after K1CP or K1R and before any other mods that alter Yavin Station.

If you are using any mods that change the station's load screen (i.e. "Loadscreens in Color" by Sithspecter), install them after this one.  If they use .tga files, you will need to delete this mod's version of "load_liv_m99aa.tpc" from Override manually.

HIGH QUALITY COCKPIT SKYBOXES
If you are using "High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes" by Sithspecter (which I highly recommend), I have included compatible skybox textures matching my new hangar.  After installing the cockpit skyboxes, perform the following steps:

1. Open the folder "HQ Cockpit Skybox Textures" from this mod.
2. Copy the TPC files corresponding to the desired quality into your Override folder.
3. If present, delete the following files from Override:
   - ebo_yab.tga
   - ebo_yaf.tga
   - ebo_yal.tga
   - ebo_yar.tga
   - ebo_yat.tga

If you are using the alternate airlock door option, also copy the appropriate version of "ebo_yaf.tpc" from the "Alternate Airlock Door" folder into Override, overwriting if asked.

"High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes" may be found at https://deadlystream.com/files/file/938-high-quality-cockpit-skyboxes/

EBON HAWK RESKINS
To use a reskin of the Ebon Hawk's exterior with the new hangar, perform the following steps:

1. Make extra copies of "LSF_EHawk01.tga" and "LSF_EHawk01.txi" (if present) from the reskin, and rename them as "yvh_ehawk.tga" and "yvh_ehawk.txi", respectively.
2. Open the new "yvh_ehawk.txi" with a text editor, and change the entry after "envmaptexture" or "bumpyshinytexture" to "CM_WK_YAVHGR".
3. Copy both files into your Override folder.
4. Delete "yvh_ehawk.tpc" from your Override folder.

CREDITS
MDLedit and KOTORmax by bead-v
KotorBlender by seedhartha
tpcview and tga2tpc by ndix UR
NWNSSCOMP by Torlack, stoffe, and tk102
DeNCS by JdNoa and Dashus
K-GFF by tk102
TSL Patcher by stoffe and Fair Strides
ERFEdit by stoffe and Fair Strides
Kotor Tool by Fred Tetra

New textures and models were based on existing KOTOR material by Bioware.
Camera angle for the load screen was inspired by "Loadscreens in Color" by Sithspecter (https://deadlystream.com/files/file/916-loadscreens-in-color/).

Special thanks to:
- DarthParametric for suggesting the visible forcefield effect, providing an example from K1CP, and providing feedback on the result.  Also for providing feedback on my new corridor extensions for version 1.4.
- muitafruita for reporting that the Ebon Hawk was missing its venting sound.
- Thor110 for encouraging me to create a new door texture that looks less like a knockoff of the Sith base doors.

VERSION HISTORY
1.0 - Initial Release
1.1 - Added an option for a visible forcefield effect
1.2 - Added particle emitters at the ends of the visible forcefield
1.3 - Fixed the sound effect of the Ebon Hawk venting in the hangar
1.4 - Created a new texture for the airlock doors
    - Added a new load screen for Yavin Station
    - Added corridor geometry behind the various locked doors
    - Edited airlock door frames to improve seal
    - Revised particle emitter settings and UV mapping for the visible forcefield option
    - Consolidated and rearranged lightmaps
    - Made various minor walkmesh and model improvements
    - Edited module .vis file to optimize performance
    - Added scripting code to prevent party members from being accidentally locked outside the airlock

DISCLAIMER AND PERMISSIONS
This modification is provided as-is and is not supported by Disney, Lucasarts, or Bioware.  Use at your own risk.  The author shall not be held responsible for damage to your game installation, computer, or saved games resulting from the use of this mod.

This mod shall not be reposted, in whole or in part, on any sites other than Deadly Stream without the author's permission.  Assets from this mod shall not be redistributed in other modifications without the author's permission.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    05/07/2022
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    Yes

• Like 4

Fantastic mod! I can't believe I never noticed this until now, but the Manaan docking bay and the Yavin station landing pad are basically 1:1. Even their cargo box layout is the same now that I'm paying attention to the ebon hawk landing video. I thought you were joking about the areas having the same architect cause I thought you were referring to how you just spliced the Manaan hangar into the Yavin station and reskinned it, but Bioware seriously just redid their exact same work with Manaan into the Yavin cinematic. 

I appreciate the attention to subtle detail you added to make the Manaan hangar look closer to Yavin's landing pad, such as adding the cables on the ceiling. Not sure how you did that, yet I'm very impressed anyway. 

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!  I actually never noticed the similarities either until I got the idea for this mod, and I started comparing the landing videos to see if an existing hangar might be close enough to reuse as a reskin.  And then I got to Manaan and realized they were basically identical.

If possible i think the idea Darth Parametric suggested of adding a energy wall would be a great idea, considering they are exposed to the vacuum of space 😅

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

Update: As suggested by DarthParametric (and reinforced by Sdub), I have added an option for a visible forcefield at the entrance to the hangar.  If you've already installed version 1.0 and want to try the new effect, you can proceed straight to the "Add Visible Forcefield" part of the installation.

1422016279_Screenshot03(VisibleForcefieldOptionNoText-640x480).jpg.af840f70bb1e4b33f8af42567cc8c08c.jpg

Thanks a ton to Darth Parametric for providing an example forcefield that I could emulate!

• Like 2

IIRC, I don't think any of the vanilla K1 or TSL hangars have visible forcefields, just lights around the perimeter to represent some kind of emitters.  That's how the original trilogy handled it, too:

1222913218_DeathStarHangarBay.jpg.6d186b866852feec9c7bd8d0f0cb92c4.jpg

DarthParametric added a visible forcefield to the Leviathan hangar for K1CP, which I did my best to emulate.  Now that I've seen it in action, I have to admit that it's a pretty cool effect.

• Like 1

I actually already had the lights around the perimeter for that exact reason, might not have been clear in the screenshots.  But I can also see how the full forcefield effect gives it a bit more punch.

1190095118_YavinHangarLights.jpg.7b0f880413a9563288cd9403272d7917.jpg

• Like 1

The other thing you can do is add the emitters that the regular door forcefield has (check the "mydoor2" door model) to each side. I didn't add them to the Leviathan field because it was too big, but maybe the Manaan/Yavin hangar opening is small enough that you won't need too many duplicates. Plus you don't get to wander around the Leviathan hangar anyway, so there wasn't much point.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, the emitters definitely make it feel more like the vanilla forcefield doors.  I like the end result (although the still screenshot doesn’t quite capture it), and I have updated the forcefield version with the emitters.  I have also added a subtle plane of static similar to mydoor2.

842172829_EmitterScreenshot-640x480.jpg.cb385ed7b362f6b3f68adaf78ecb573b.jpg

On 5/13/2022 at 11:40 PM, DarthParametric said:

I didn't add them to the Leviathan field because it was too big, but maybe the Manaan/Yavin hangar opening is small enough that you won't need too many duplicates.

Instead of adding duplicate emitters, I actually increased their Y dimensions to fit the opening height.  I also ended up tweaking a few parameters to suit the larger opening.  (Side note, it looks like the emitters on mydoor2 are actually not symmetrical, although I can’t say that it’s noticeable in-game.)

• Like 1

Finally I got the chance to install this modification on top of my heavily customized game.

I did follow the installation instructions accurately but something went wrong. The main install.log did not report any error and the only warning was about finding the liv_m99aa.mod file in the modules folder of my game. Most files were added and some were instead replaced. I have a total of 79 new or modified files in my override directory after installation.

Unfortunately I cannot provide the log of the main install because it seems TSL Patcher overwrites (pretty stupidly, in my opinion) the current one with the one coming from the additional component (Visible Forcefield), which I installed just afterwards.

I attached that log here for scrutiny but it reports a successful installation.

I describe what the problem is. When I disembark the EH, the party is spawned at the standard location used in the original game (the corridor) and I have no way to even go back (there is no "exit"). I noticed some changes in the corridor which confirmed that the main installation should have been successful, just like the install.log reported and the pictures I am attaching here showing the RIM and the modified MOD of the area are further confirmation about it.

Yavin before:

1937809784_YavinRIM.jpg.e298cd16fa3f9e093cae7a447a957f31.jpg

Yavin AFTER:

1877358847_YavinMOD.jpg.55edf19e56f9deefa5cbcaddfc133b5b.jpg

I can provide screenshots of the party spawning, if needed.

I have also installed the High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes files and the EH reskin but I doubt that is relevant.

Thanks!

installlog.rtf

4 hours ago, Salk said:

Finally I got the chance to install this modification on top of my heavily customized game.

I did follow the installation instructions accurately but something went wrong. The install.log did not report any error and the only warning was about finding the liv_m99aa.mod file in the modules folder of my game. Most files were added and some were instead replaced. I have a total of 79 new or modified files in my override directory after installation.

Unfortunately I cannot provide the log of the main install because it seems TSL Patcher overwrites (pretty stupidly, in my opinion) the current one with the one coming from the additional component (Visible Forcefield), which I installed.

I attached that log here for scrutiny but it reports a successful installation.

I describe what the problem is. When I disembark the EH, the party is spawned at the standard location used in the original game (the corridor) and I have no way to even go back (there is no "exit"). I noticed some changes in the corridor which confirmed that the main installation should have been successful, just like the install.log reported and the pictures I am attaching here showing the RIM and the modified MOD of the area are further confirmation about it.

Yavin before:

1937809784_YavinRIM.jpg.e298cd16fa3f9e093cae7a447a957f31.jpg

Yavin AFTER:

1877358847_YavinMOD.jpg.55edf19e56f9deefa5cbcaddfc133b5b.jpg

I can provide screenshots of the party spawning, if needed.

I have also installed the High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes files and the EH reskin but I doubt that is relevant.

Thanks!

installlog.rtf 1.87 kB · 1 download

I had this happen on K2 at first when I ported it and on K1 when I first installed it to test it, such an awesome addition to the game, I think it was because I had possibly been there in that save before.

So that might be something worth considering. I loaded an earlier save in K1 and warped there and it worked fine.

Thor110

• Light Side Points 1

I think I have found the problem.

It is all on me as I have altered the spawning points for the party members disembarking the Ebon Hawk.

I will test this later but I am quite sure it was a false alarm on my part.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thor110 said:

...I think it was because I had possibly been there in that save before.

So that might be something worth considering. I loaded an earlier save in K1 and warped there and it worked fine.

Thanks for jumping in, Thor110.  This will probably be the cause and solution for the typical user with this issue.  If you have been to Yavin previously, the game loads the old waypoints, placeables, etc. from the saved game rather than the updated ones in the module GIT.  The original exit will still be there, too, so it shouldn't break the module.  You just won't be able to get to the hangar before it sends you back to the Ebon Hawk.

6 hours ago, Salk said:

It is all on me as I have altered the spawning points for the party members disembarking the Ebon Hawk.

That would definitely do it.  🙂  Glad you were able to figure it out.

• Like 1

Hello!

I am happy to confirm it was just a user error. I really like this modification and the work you have done with it, WildKarrde!

Just a final question about the EH reskin files you instructed to rename: the original files are then no longer necessary (LSF_EHawk01.tga and LSF_EHawk01.txi), I assume?

Thank you, that's good to hear!  If I understand your question correctly, LSF_EHawk01.tga and LSF_EHawk.txi should still be left in Override when you're done.  They're the textures that reskin the Ebon Hawk on the Star Forge.  The end goal is  just to make an extra copy of the reskin that is appropriately named so that my new models will use it.  There isn't anything special about LSF_EHawk01 versus the other planet-specific copies, I just chose it to have something concrete for the instructions.

• Like 1

Mod has been updated to add the sound effect of the Ebon Hawk venting in the hangar.  Thanks to @La Ingobernable for pointing out the lack of sound.  I always meant for there to be sound, but I forgot to include a copy of the UTS in the install package.  I have also uploaded a separate hotfix for anyone who has installed version 1.2 or earlier.  Note that you will need a save from before visiting the station for the hotfix to fully take effect.  Sorry for the inconvenience, clearly I need to have chat with my quality assurance team...

• Like 3

Verison 1.4 has been released.  I have made several minor edits, but there are two significant changes.  The first is that I have created a new texture for the airlock doors so that they look less like knockoffs of the Sith base doors:

Spoiler

674143022_NewDoorA.png.068f92df03793621bbd9772333ae8f33.png

Spoiler

2049985255_NewDoorB.png.b9ba3a463bc7914070ed02204fa7ca0c.png

Thanks to Thor110 for encouraging me to try creating a more unique door texture back when I originally released the mod.  If you prefer the old door appearance, I have still included it as an alternate option.
The other major change is that I have added actual geometry behind the permanently locked doors, which gives them more depth than the fuzzy 2D vanilla backdrops:

Spoiler

1196266496_CorridorExtensionA.png.e349019c5e8bf5a56307eaf27182c892.png

Spoiler

135736091_CorridorExtensionB.png.fcc3b080d74f145a7714bc327f83152f.png

If you have already installed one of the previous versions, you can upgrade by installing version 1.4 directly over it.  However, you may then need to reinstall any other mods that also edit m50aa.git.  I also recommend using a new save from before visiting Yavin Station for the first time to avoid graphical glitches with the new airlock doors.

Edited by WildKarrde
Spelling
  • Like 5

Thank you so much for editing the appearance of the Leviathan doors, the new unique variant you provided is miles better and helps make the area feel more original. 

• Like 2