Logan23

The Return of.. Revenge of Revan

New question.

Though I am guessing I already know the answer to this as Thor110 is on the team but I figured I should ask. Will RoR be featuring upscaled textures?

Hi everyone,

Here is a quick pic of a new  Corellian  beast, which will be found in the jungles on Corellia.

Image is attached

All thanks to Redrob41 art skills.

With the topic of Upscaling textures, ...I know Redrob41 has been doing some and some of the new characters which might be upscaled vs the vanilla.
I will need to touch base with him on the topic of how much will be upscaled. 

If we do Upscale all textures for RoR there will be a discussion on wither it will be part of the initial final game/mod or as a separate optional texture mod. 

I don't want to show you to much so we can surprise you all. 

We are plugging away  at the mod with updates to the build every week.

Logan23

Slice_Hound_in_game.jpg

• Like 9
  • Light Side Points 2

How have things been going since the start of this year?

15 hours ago, Nm6k said:

How have things been going since the start of this year?

As a developer for the mod, I'd say things are going pretty good! I have to finish one more module and after that we just need to stich some already completed areas together, add conditionals along the way, write the end scene for Episode 1 Corellia (the scene is done but the dialogue itself is placeholder right now) and then it'd be in a proper Beta state.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Zrsm said:

will it be compatible with the brotherhood of shadow

No, Revenge of Revan is a Kotor 2 mod whilst Brotherhood of Shadow is a Kotor 1 mod.

Any ideas when a demo or playable version drops? I'm hella excited about this

On 2/17/2024 at 5:40 AM, robotp said:

Any ideas when a demo or playable version drops? I'm hella excited about this

As I might've said at an earlier point, I wouldn't get yourself fussed over a release date. Me or Logan can give a date and more likely than not that date will come and pass with no release, this isn't on us... this is an unfortunate fate that happens to many in-development mods, this is why most modder's don't "announce" a release date as 9 times out of 10 they can't deliver on that promise.

When ROR Episode 1 is released, it will be similar to the old Demo but it will be a FAR improvement. The plan is to finish Episode 1 and release it to the public out of the blue, that way we can't disappoint anyone if we promise a date and we can't release it on said date.

• Like 1

I know that it's a very long way off but I want to ask will Cain show up early in episode 2 or at the end of it? He is the companion that I'm the most excited about so far.

On 2/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, Nm6k said:

I know that it's a very long way off but I want to ask will Cain show up early in episode 2 or at the end of it? He is the companion that I'm the most excited about so far.

Well, our original plan was to have each Episodes contain two planets at a time but right now it's been condensed to one planet at a time. Episode 2 would contain the planet Nar Shaddaa which is where Kaila and Nindu (the two party members recruited at the end of the Demo) are recruited alongside a 3rd party member at the very of that episode. Episode 3 will see Drayen die like on another planet similar to how he died in the Demo.

Should the 1 planet per Episode rule is maintained, then Cain would appear in Episode 4.

• Like 1

Got it also want to ask do you think that you will be able to make saves work with each Episode update?

6 hours ago, Nm6k said:

Got it also want to ask do you think that you will be able to make saves work with each Episode update?

Most likely, at the end of each Episode will be an "ending" of sorts that would take you back to the main menu. This *could* be an updated end credits scene though I can't confirm that at this time.

But let's pretend that it would be an end credits scene, this scene would require a script to activate. Let's say this script is called "end_ep1" for example... in Episode 1's release this script activates the ending whereas when the Episode 2 update is released we'll replace the "end_ep1" script with a warp script to go to Nar Shaddaa but it this new warp script is still named "end_ep1" to make it compatible with Save Games.

Though our primary goal is finishing the actual Episode off first, so take all this with a grain of salt as things can change with time. :)

• Like 2

Last question since you said you are almost done with Corellia how much more side content will be on it and the Coruscant jedi temple compared to the original demo.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:29 AM, Nm6k said:

Last question since you said you are almost done with Corellia how much more side content will be on it

This question will be answered once Episode 1 is released. I can't be spoiling anything now :laughing:

On 3/1/2024 at 5:29 AM, Nm6k said:

and the Coruscant jedi temple compared to the original demo.

But to give you an idea of what to expect, the Coruscant Jedi Temple isn't too much different from the Demo in terms of structure... but Coruscant, alongside the rest of the mod, has been significantly updated meaning you'll definitely feel the improvements even if the content isn't too different from the Demo.

• Like 1

Just thought of a few more questions😄 (But seriously if I'm being annoying with them to you both do tell me and I will stop)

How many locations/episodes are you all planning for the full mod?

Have you all decided what you are going to do with the trust system (Logan talk about different ideas for it though the years) which will be replacing the influence system?

How closely are you planning on tying the story (In particular the endings) to the Revan book and what is talk about Revan and the Exile fate in ToR itself? I do recall there being talk of a book/ToR canon path but I do hope there will be non canon light and dark endings too. Like for a example a light side ending where things go down a lot better then it did for both Reven and the Exile in the book or a unique dark side ending where if you pick the dark side ending for both KOTOR games then go full murder happy dark side (Instead of Kreia's greyish dark way of manipulation) in the mod then the Republic collapses without putting up much of a fight against Vitiate.

On 3/5/2024 at 4:31 PM, Nm6k said:

Just thought of a few more questions😄 (But seriously if I'm being annoying with them to you both do tell me and I will stop)

In the politest way possible, we wouldn't be making a mod for you to play if we'd instead just tell you everything from the get-go.

How many locations/episodes are you all planning for the full mod?

We actually can't say, just like with K1 & K2 the mod isn't a linear experience... there are plans to revisit the different planets and these revisits to the same planet could act as an Episode in their own right.

Similar to what TSLRCM does with the Atton/Bao-Dur VS Bounty Hunters sequence, ROR will use "cloned" modules to our advantage. In-game, you'll think you're in the same place but at a later date when behind the scenes the same module has been cloned. This can allow us to have a different set of commoner NPCs to give the impression that time is moving forward and the background people are moving on and you're encountering new people in their wake.

Have you all decided what you are going to do with the trust system (Logan talk about different ideas for it though the years) which will be replacing the influence system?

This sort of thing is being saved for later, as right now there's an internal controversy where the RPG elements are somewhat nerfed because it'd look dumb to have the player commit all sorts of evil and actively fall to the Dark Side with Drayen in the party. I'd expect these sort of major decision influences to take place once Drayen dies and the player is now alone, it'd make sense this way from a story perspective too!

I know I wouldn't want a repeat of the K2 influence system as the influence system sort of represented how the player was impacting the party via their Force Bonds. Internal testing would have to be done with different party members to see if the Influence System can work with modded party members & how much of it we can actually touch as I'd assume much of it is hard coded (assuming we just rename influence as trust that is).

How ever we chose to implement the trust system, do know that multiple "success" and "fail" states are written for many of the party members so that at the end of the mod, based on the players choices, alignment, faction loyalty, interactions with said party members, trust/influence and other factors the party members can chose to remain loyal to your chosen cause or defect in some way or another... very similar to how influence works in K2.

How closely are you planning on tying the story (In particular the endings) to the Revan book and what is talk about Revan and the Exile fate in ToR itself? I do recall there being talk of a book/ToR canon path but I do hope there will be non canon light and dark endings too. Like for a example a light side ending where things go down a lot better then it did for both Reven and the Exile in the book or a unique dark side ending where if you pick the dark side ending for both KOTOR games then go full murder happy dark side (Instead of Kreia's greyish dark way of manipulation) in the mod then the Republic collapses without putting up much of a fight against Vitiate.

It's planned to have a Canon & Non-Canon path for ROR, this is chosen at the start of the mod alongside Revan & Exile's gender & alignment. If you chose Canon, it'll follow the events of the book with the Exile being dead with the only possibility of an appearance being through a Force Ghost and Revan being locked away for 300 years and would only appear via dialogue mentions & maybe a brief cameo in some capacity. You could argue that this doesn't make sense considering it's "Revenge of Revan", to which I say this mod was in development before TOR came out so we simply have to accept ROR as a fan fiction mod that can bridge K2 to TOR depending on the correct path.

But the Canon version isn't being developed at this time, instead the Non-Canon path is. It is loosely based on the book, so characters like Scourge & Vitiate might exist but the Exile may or may not be dead and Revan will make a physical appearance. As you can imagine, there'd be a point where you'd meet Revan and this "point" in the mod would change dramatically depending on the Canon VS Non-Canon choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, N-DReW25 said:

In the politest way possible, we wouldn't be making a mod for you to play if we'd instead just tell you everything from the get-go.

I know it's just that I have been very excited about the mod since I first read about it so long ago and now, unlike then I'm not a child with very bad spelling who was too embarrassed to ask his questions😄, but I will stop asking them and thank you for answering them anyway.

3 hours ago, N-DReW25 said:

do know that multiple "success" and "fail" states are written for many of the party members so that at the end of the mod, based on the players choices, alignment, faction loyalty, interactions with said party members, trust/influence and other factors the party members can chose to remain loyal to your chosen cause or defect in some way or another

That's something I always look for and enjoy in RPG's which has companions (And it's one of the many reasons why I enjoyed KOTOR 2 so much) so I'm happy to hear that it will be in the mod in one form or another still.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, N-DReW25 said:

But the Canon version isn't being developed at this time, instead the Non-Canon path is. It is loosely based on the book, so characters like Scourge & Vitiate might exist but the Exile may or may not be dead and Revan will make a physical appearance. As you can imagine, there'd be a point where you'd meet Revan and this "point" in the mod would change dramatically depending on the Canon VS Non-Canon choice.

All these options sound super exciting! I also wanted to ask if you still plan to support both vanilla and Restored Content canons for Kotor 2 timeline? If I'm not mistaken, demo had an option like that, though I'm not sure if changed anything. I suppose it may not be worth the time to develop two different versions, its not like Restored Content is THAT different from original. But if it was actually implemented, it would be pretty cool. I'm just curious how much customizations we will have over our playthroughs. As much as I enjoy TOR, it kinda took away our choice and freedom from both protagonists of the games, so I'm happy you are giving it back, in a way.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, Mawrak said:

All these options sound super exciting! I also wanted to ask if you still plan to support both vanilla and Restored Content canons for Kotor 2 timeline? If I'm not mistaken, demo had an option like that, though I'm not sure if changed anything. I suppose it may not be worth the time to develop two different versions, its not like Restored Content is THAT different from original. But if it was actually implemented, it would be pretty cool.

I don't recall anything in regards to TSLRCM in the old Demo, though when ROR was in its infancy so was TSLRCM so I can understand if something like this was hinted at... it was a different time back then.

We treat ROR like this: the base game is the "core content" that cannot be disputed (akin to how the Expanded Universe under both Disney and Lucas treats the Movies) whereas TSLRCM is secondary canon and other mods are third canon.

And as you've said, there aren't a lot of differences between the vanilla and base game when you really think about it. By our own rules, Fassa should be a Twi'lek instead of a Toydarian in ROR because that's what he was in the base game... but instead Fassa outright doesn't appear on Nar Shaddaa. Is Fassa a Twi'lek or is he a Toydarian? That's up to you, the player, to decide.

If it's has the potential to cause problems but is minor enough to be ignored it simply won't be referenced. Is Batu Rem a GenoHaradan Agent? Did Jorran steal Suulru's farming equipment or was it Kaevee? Did B4-D4 end up in Vogga's warehouse? Did the party get their asses kicked by Kreia? That's up to you, the player, to decide... ROR won't directly conflict with either vanilla or TSLRCM where it can be avoided.

Other mods might be referenced as cameos, an NPC might make reference to a Sith holdout on a "legendary droid planet" or make reference to a pirate named "Daemon Drexl" but ROR will never outright say the Exile or Master Vash went to M4-78 or that Solomon's Revenge actually happened as were depicted in M4-78EP & BOSSR.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, Mawrak said:

I'm just curious how much customizations we will have over our playthroughs. As much as I enjoy TOR, it kinda took away our choice and freedom from both protagonists of the games, so I'm happy you are giving it back, in a way.

When Revan appears in ROR, he will have a set pre-determined appearance for both male & female which cannot be changed in-game, however, our pre-set appearance can actually be changed via a ROR addon which will act very similar to the Revan Unmasked mod where you'd download our addon, overwrite the ROR Revan head with a K1 player head from the addon and you can have mullet man, Logan Star or however as your Revan. The same could apply to the Exile, though that all depends on their role in the story (A Force Ghost Exile looks more likely, though take that claim with a grain of salt).

As I believe I mentioned before, you can choose the alignments of both Revan and Exile alongside their genders. This will change how NPCs view each former protagonist and can allow for some unique things to happen that didn't in TOR, such as Revan and Carth having a child instead of Bastila and such. You could pick the canonical LS male Revan and LS female Exile and not end up in the TOR timeline if you pick the "wrong" choices in ROR or you could do the "right" choices in ROR that should lead to the TOR timeline but still not end up in that timeline as you can choose to not follow the Revan novel, have a DS female Revan and an LS male Exile.

Unlike TOR, ROR will have customization & whilst it is possible to do a faithful TOR playthrough it would be encouraged to do whatever you wish. Though do know the non-canonical version of ROR, with a Revan who "escaped" Dromuund Kaas, is the ROR in development with the canonical version being slated for development after the non-canonical version is made.

• Like 3

Creating tools is my specialty. Let me know if you're finding some task in this project incredibly tedious, that a specialized tool could address. Would love to help out.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone

I'm posting this update in part to show you guys some images and  the Intro Movie/ crawler mockup.

I'm posting the mockup video in hopes to find someone who can do the real intro movie for the mod.

The mockup is done in Blender. The person could take this file and make it look better.

At the end of the video you see part of the space station break off,. There would be an explosion there.

If anyone is interested in doing the actual intro video, please contact me by DS message.

Link to video:

RoR intro movie mockup

corellia 4.jpg

corellia 3.jpg

corellia 1.jpg

corellia 2.jpg

corellia 5.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Logan23 said:

At the end of the video you see part of the space station break off,. There would be an explosion there.

Is the ship meant to be crashing into the station?

4 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Is the ship meant to be crashing into the station?

No, its just flying to the space station, just to give the scene some life. My animation skills are limited so yeah it looks like its crashing into it.

Could have the ship fly to the planet instead which would remove that confusion.