JCarter426

MOD:JC's Fashion Line I: Cloaked Party Robes for K1

JC's Fashion Line I: Cloaked Party Robes for K1

Summary

This mod alters the appearance of Jedi robes worn by party members in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, giving them new models based on their basic clothing with added cloaks.

Installation

Note: If you intend to use this mod in conjunction with either my Cloaked Jedi Robes or Cloaked Hybrid Robes, they should be installed first.

1. Extract files from the downloaded archive.
  2. Run Fashion_I_Cloaked_Party_Robes_K1.exe.
  3. Select one of the installation options:
       a) 100% Brown
       b) Brown-Red-Blue
  4. Click "Install Mod" and select your game directory (default name SWKOTOR).

Uninstallation

1. Remove the installed files or replace from backups if necessary.

Compatibility

This mod uses my Supermodel Port for K1. This makes it super cripplingly incompatible with any other mods that alter the game's supermodels (the S_Female and S_Male files) unless the other mods utilize my Supermodel Port assets. These edits are necessary to give the player supermodels the bones required for the cloaks to animate.

This mod's supermodels include my Supermodel Fixes for K1. So you don't have to worry about using that, or if these files are overwriting those. Use this mod's files.

These supermodel edits somewhat alter some animations in the game. These adjustments were necessary to prevent the old stuff from clipping with the new stuff. It's essentially what Obsidian did when they added the new bones to the supermodel, but I've reversed the changes a bit to bring the animations closer to the original K1 style.

Some models aren't so happy with the new rig. I've made some hotfixes for such cases where I can, but they won't be compatible with other mods that alter these models. I've instructed TSLPatcher not to overwrite these.

P_JuhaniBB.mdl and P_Juhani.mdx are two such files that will be skipped. If you use the Juhani Catlike Head Mod, I suggest that you use my version because I happened to fix the same thing that mod fixes anyway. You can copy those two files manually from tslpatchdata to Override.

While this mod adds skirt bones to the player supermodels, at this time it does not add the bones or the necessary animations to the cutscene models. So the skirt flaps may appear stiff in scenes that use those.

Credits

KOTOR Tool – Fred Tetra
TSLPatcher – stoffe, with updates by Fair Strides
NWMax – Joco
KOTORMax & MDLEdit – bead-v
waifu2x – nagadomi

This mod contains assets ported from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords by Obsidian Entertainment.

Permisisons

I hereby grant nobody except myself permission to upload some or all of this mod anywhere for any reason. For any reason.

I have uploaded a separate mod resource with essentially all of these assets free for anyone who wants to use them. But I want to keep them separate for simplicity's sake, so this release here is strictly a mod.

Disclaimers

OBSIDIAN IS THE NEW BLACK. DON'T WEAR BIOWARE AFTER LABOR DAY.

Donations

If you enjoy my mods and would like to show your support in a monetary manner, you may do so via PayPal with this donation link.

For various legal and ethical reasons, this is entirely optional and is not a requirement to downloading or using any of my mods. I also do not create specific mods for hire.

I make mods as a hobby and will most likely do so regardless of any donations or lack thereof, but modding does take up a lot of my time and every bit helps.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    08/26/2020
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    No

• Like 4

Hello JC!

First of all congratulations on a very good idea here! 

I was testing this in game and I noticed severe clipping issues when checking out Juhani's new look. Particularly in regards to her left hand.

Can you confirm this?

Cheers!

There's definitely clipping, but no more than in the usual KOTOR 2 robes as far as I'm aware. I doubt there's anything I could do to improve it since the engine doesn't support cloth physics.

Oh alright, @JCarter426 .

I played TSL so long ago I didn't even remember the heavy clipping.

I have a request though. For people like me using the 100% brown version of the Cloaked Jedi Robes mod, it would be good to have a version that produces Bastila's, Jolee's and Juhani's original clothes in their original color in every version of the texture, wearing the brown cape in every case other than when wearing Dark Jedi robes, in which case the cape should be black,

It is something I could easily do myself if it was not for the problem I am having converting your .tpc images to .tga.

Could you possibly provide the images in .tga format (even privately)?

Thanks!

Hmm, I took another look and there are some animations on the original female robe models that I had thought were redundant and ignored, but it looks like they were added to reduce clipping. I'll see what I can do with them.

As for the textures, yeah, I want to do a 100% brown version but I haven't come up with ideas for all the texture variations yet. I've attached the TGAs so you can play around with them in the meantime.

To-do list:

• Fix the stupid head turning bug with the supermodel port
  • Finish the hybrid robes (also 2 years late).
  • Fix female arm clipping.
  • Make 100% brown options for party robes and possibly hybrid robes.

Cloaked Party Robe Textures TGA-TXI.zip

• Like 2

Thanks a lot, JC!

Oh the head turning bug comes from your supermodel then! I'd never thought of it and it was/is driving me crazy...

Hopefully you will be able to fix it. :cheers:

Yeah, I'll take another look. Making textures for them was trickier compared to Jolee because they have fewer layers of clothes. So it was really easy to make everything too desaturated or too much of the same color and end up with a really flat texture. I'll try to tweak them some more when I'm working on the 100% brown variations. I've already come up with a buff robe texture for Jolee that I really like.

@JCarter426,

I have been testing more of this although I had to opt for a manual installation since I am using it for the B models as opposed to the I models (I wanted Bastila, Jolee and Juhani to have original clothes with a cloak to go with - and I will later change the cloak color to match the original clothes' main color) and I have met some problems which I'm not sure apply to everyone else as well so I made a video.

In the video the following is very noticeable with Bastila, Juhani and Jolee, after showcasing Bastila's I model showing no problems whatsoever: 

1) a "twitch" of the right arm of every model.

2) Bastila's front "tail" of her clothes clip awfully much.

3) Jolee's front "tail" having wrong animation in the cycle

That is all I could find just by observing the cycle of the standing idle animation.

Could you please tell me if it is something that happens only to me or if it can be confirmed as general issues?

Thanks!

A link to the video.

UPDATE: I removed the S_Female01/02/03 and the S_Male01/02 from the Override to test the original behavior and it seems Issue 2) is still there in full.

Issue 3) is there but it's not at all as egregious and issue 1) is not there at all. I believe these two issues are caused by the JC_BastilaBI/JCJoleeBI/JC_JuhaniBI models.

Could you please verify?

Thanks a lot!

On 12/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, Salk said:

1) a "twitch" of the right arm of every model.

This seems to be an issue with the KOTOR 2 animation. As I recall, the robes have a custom idle animation to reduce clipping with the arms and the cloak. But the animation appears to have a glitch in it. I'll see if it's possible to improve that idle animation for both games when I get a chance.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, Salk said:

2) Bastila's front "tail" of her clothes clip awfully much.

3) Jolee's front "tail" having wrong animation in the cycle

These are issues with Bastila and Jolee's original body models. Their skirt flaps are dangly meshes—they aren't animated. They move based on the wind and some other physics. Very limited physics.

I looked into weighting Bastila's skirt flaps to the robe bones, but I couldn't get it quite right at the time. I didn't attempt it for Jolee. I was able to do it for Juhani, because she only has the back flap and that lined up with the cloak fairly well. Maybe I'll try again for the other two, but it didn't seem very promising the first time around.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your answer, JC.

Sorry for being dense here but you're confirming that the issues l listed are not a local problem but affect everyone else using your modification?

I see, thanks.

Last follow-up question... If it is a matter of animation glitch with the original KotOR 2 model, why would the "twitching arm" not show for Jolee but only for Juhani and Bastila? Furthermore, when the model used is PFBIM or PMBIM, the animation glitch is not there at all (as you could see in the video I uploaded - Bastila is wearing a Dark Jedi Robe and her arm is doing alright). Wouldn't that indicate a problem with JCBastilaBI and JCJuhaniBI rather than with the supermodel?

The animations are from the female robe model PFBIM, and they override the animations on the supermodel. There are two idle and three walking animations which stretch the arms out a bit more to reduce clipping with the cloak. There is no male equivalent, so Jolee is using the supermodel version. Evidently only the female animations have the glitch.

It looks like in the video, you are using an older version of Cloaked Jedi Robes from before I restored the animation to the female robes. Previously I had exported them without that animation.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. 😊

After updating to the latest PFBIS/PFBIM/PFBIL from version 1.4 of Cloaked Jedi Robes, the right arm animation glitches are present both when wearing Robe and Clothing. See here.

I guess that the problem I have noticed has been also "ported" to the JC_BastilaBI and JC_JuhaniBI models (which are also new) and that is exactly why the issue is now shared in both tests.

If it is not possible to keep the clipping improvements coming with your latest update I do recommend to revert to the old model (and extend it to JC_JuhaniBI and JC_BastilaBI as well of course) so that the much more serious animation glitches with the right arm are gone.

Cheers! :cheers:

There are only five animations, of which I think only two are glitched, so it should be a straightforward fix. I can likely copy over the original idle animations and stretch the arms out myself. The thing is, though, when I update one of these robe mods, I have to update all of them, and I usually put doing all that off until my vacation time.

If you want to remove them in the meantime, you can do so with a hex editor. Open the relevant model file, search for pause1 and pause2, and overwrite those characters with something else of the same length, like xxxxx1 and xxxxx2. That changes the names of the animations, so the model no longer overrides those animations, so it defaults to the ones on the supermodel. That will get rid of the arm glitch but bring back the arm clipping.

• Thanks 1

Very useful info, JC!

Thanks a lot. I completely understand you want to wait until you have more free time to update all your robe mods. In the meantime I will do exactly like you suggested and use an Hex editor to see if I can get rid of the pesky arm glitch.

I just hope that my feedback was not too much of a nag. 😉

Hello, @JCarter426!

On 12/6/2020 at 11:05 PM, JCarter426 said:

There are only five animations, of which I think only two are glitched, so it should be a straightforward fix. I can likely copy over the original idle animations and stretch the arms out myself. The thing is, though, when I update one of these robe mods, I have to update all of them, and I usually put doing all that off until my vacation time.

I am still using the modified files via hex trick you kindly taught me to suppress the animation glitch, but I was wondering if both pause1 and pause2 idle animations are glitched or if it's just one of the two that is.

Do you have any vacation coming up, by the way? 😄

Cheers!

Looking at the regular cloaked robes (that also have the glitch), only the medium model has the anims anyway. The large and small models are already using the supermodel anims. Is there any reason to keep the custom model anims rather than pushing all of them to use the supermodel?

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

Looking at the regular cloaked robes (that also have the glitch), only the medium model has the anims anyway.

That's weird, isn't it?

Why would the animations be missing from the small and large models? 😕

Because TSL only uses medium models, so there were no source anims. You can of course get around this via scene scaling in Max, but presumably JC either decided not to do this or maybe just forgot. It should be noted that this is a large part of the point of supermodels, so that you can have a single animation source and models of arbitrary scales using them.

Edit: I should point out that the major reason for having a per-model anim is to prevent issues like clipping with custom tweaks. Is that actually happening here? It has been a while since I looked at it.

• Like 2