uwadmin12

[Help!] KOTORBlender Can't Select .mdl File

Any help is appreciated!!

I tried to install KOTORBlender on blender 2.82

So I imported the plugin ("Install from File" because manual installation > doesn't show up in the list of add ons):

image.png.de1506a6f4bacfa2ba6ceb2c84b8a2da.png

image.png.96f97da7a85b9b26f77f9a68cb28f93b.png

Both are enabled, but I can't import mdl file, as in there is no option to!!

image.png.c4315012837f7e901395c04d1359bfea.png

What is going on, should I switch back to Blender 2.7x?

I did not install NeverBlender. It's probably either the code is outdated and not supported by newer version of blender, or a bug on blender's end.

@AmanoJyaku

Don't know what the issue is ... but with 2.79a version I am able to install the plugin.

Gosh, Windows GUI sucks with bugs (not saying there is a better alternative for modelling software, though).

Yeah KotorBlender doesn't work on 2.8x. In the "How to Install" section of the manual says: "KotORBlender will work in versions as far back as Blender 2.71 and
currently up to Blender version 2.79".

• Like 1

Haven’t fiddled around with KotORblender much, despite the fact I do most of my 3D work on Blender.

I recently had a similar issue with the plugin to import .glm models (for Jedi Academy), so I reinstalled 2.79, installed the plugin there, imported the files I needed, saved as .blend and reopened on 2.82.

You could do the same but it’ll get awkward once you try to export your stuff back to KoTOR, since you can’t open files that were saved on more recent versions of Blender with older versions of the software. Then you’d have to export to .fbx or .obj or whatever, import that into 2.79 and then export with the plugin. Yikes.

I suggest you try to get a hold of 3DS Max instead (with a student version for instance or through other abilities the dark side is a pathway to - kidding, don’t do that) and use KOTORMAX which works like magic.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stormie97 said:

I suggest you try to get a hold of 3DS Max instead (with a student version for instance or through other abilities the dark side is a pathway to - kidding, don’t do that) and use KOTORMAX which works like magic.

Rofl ... Yeah I had student 3ds Max with KOTORMAX before I changed PC. I was using 3ds max 2019 and had some compatibility issue, too. I remember going on some old bioware website to get an slightly newer (but still outdated) nwmax thing ... can't remember the details. Now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna give 3ds max another try. Hopefully it will work out this time.

Anyways, if only there's a CLI tool to convert ascii mdl to obj/fbx directly, and vice versa.

3 minutes ago, uwadmin12 said:

Rofl ... Yeah I had student 3ds Max with KOTORMAX before I changed PC. I was using 3ds max 2019 and had some compatibility issue, too. I remember going on some old bioware website to get an slightly newer (but still outdated) nwmax thing ... can't remember the details. Now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna give 3ds max another try. Hopefully it will work out this time.

Anyways, if only there's a CLI tool to convert ascii mdl to obj/fbx directly, and vice versa.

NWMax is a thing of the past, bead-v's KOTORMAX (along with MDLEdit) is the way to go.

• Light Side Points 1