VarsityPuppet

Will The Old Republic Era be Re-Canonized?

It's what we all want, and by now, we know most of the arguments for why it should be.

- Rakata Prime is canon

- Malachor is canon

- Revan was nearly included in The Clone Wars tv show

- Revan has a Black figurine, which apparently Black figures are typically only canon characters

- As of Star Wars Rebels last night, The Mandalorian Wars are canon

What else is there to come? Any other evidence that people have found?

• Like 2

This is mostly curiosity but why is it so important for some people that Kotor be made canon?, i mean TDKR is not canon in the batman universe but is still considered one of the best stories about him.

This is mostly curiosity but why is it so important for some people that Kotor be made canon?, i mean TDKR is not canon in the batman universe but is still considered one of the best stories about him.

Unlike Batman in comics and movies which has multiple universes and storylines, Star Wars has only one recognized canonical timeline.

When Disney bought Star Wars, they made only the movies and TV shows canon, delegating the rest to "Legends" (not canon).

The importance of canon status of The Old Republic Era mainly lies in the fact that it is likely to receive increased attention in the form of hopefully, Movies, TV, Video Games, etc... It's a pretty beloved section of Star Wars lore.

• Like 1

I know all about star wars lore, i have been a fan for 20 years but just got to play the games recently because i was not a gamer until a few years ago, what i mean is that, even when kotor was canon, which was for more than 10 years, we never really got kotor 3, we got swtor which does not really mesh well with kotor 2, or is this interest on having kotor be canon again is for the hope of a remake?

Let me just add to your list

* Manaan and the Selkath are canon (Selkath were seen in the clone wars, Manaan was mentioned in a book)

* Korriban or as it's canonically called Moraband was visited by Yoda during the clone wars (The Valley of the Dark Lords and the Sith Academy are also shown)

* Taris is also canon and it is described to be a polluted planet with scattered ruins of ships across the surface (Possibly hinting to Darth Malak's bombardment) (Additionally that black female senator in rogue one who says "If the empire has this type of firepower what choice do we have" represented Taris in the Imperial Senate and the next Senator of Taris died on Honsian Prime when the first order destroyed it)

* Hammer Head Rebel Corvette ships were said to be based off an ancient design (Direct Kotor reference)

* Ossus is Canon (It was a Jedi Planet I do believe and if anyone remembers the Ossus Keeper Robes)

* Telos was mentioned though whether it's Telos IV with the Citadel Station or if it was even bombarded is a mystery to me

Something I do want out of Canon is to first up have a new Kotor RPG based off the original with maybe a few new content like Jedha during it's prime, A Star Map on Lothal, A Jedi Enclave on Takodonna and maybe some characters from the EU that can't be brought into Canon to some degree like Darth Krayt and Talon since there placed in the years AFTER the original trilogy. Also a Kotor DLC for Battlefront would be nice and you can only play as Kotor Characters on the Kotor maps.

• Like 1

I doubt it, chances are they will rewrite the old republic to better fit the canon. I note that in the last episode of Star Wars Rebels however that Kanan told Sabine the 'Jedi' defeated Mandalore and the Mandalorians in their last war against each other (Which could be another reference to events prior to KOTOR where Revan defeated mandalore and the mandalorians). I personally do not want this story rehashed TBH, im fine with how it is now

EDIT: Just re-read your post and saw that you mentioned it VP xD

Also it could be possible that Trayas/kreia is in SW Rebels

It's what we all want, and by now, we know most of the arguments for why it should be.

- Rakata Prime is canon

- Malachor is canon

- Revan was nearly included in The Clone Wars tv show

- Revan has a Black figurine, which apparently Black figures are typically only canon characters

- As of Star Wars Rebels last night, The Mandalorian Wars are canon

What else is there to come? Any other evidence that people have found?

I think the chances of the KotOR era being canonized are pretty high honestly.  Also I have that Revan Black Series figure it is very nice and I highly recommend it to any KotOR fan.

• Like 1

The story would need to be rehashed in a few places, but I also think we're already heading in the direction of The Old Republic era being made canon. They know that it's a jewel, but the era itself also references tons of things that happened before it, and they're probably trying to open some of it back up so new explanations could be added in, and then they make something more out of it.

Slightly off-topic, but who would you guys want to see play Revan in a potential KotOR movie? My first pick would be Christian Bale.

I wouldn't put too much hope behind that. I think Hasbro has held votes for Legends characters to get a Black Series figure. I believe Jaina Solo is actually next, but don't quote me on any of this.

I personallybelieve that the Old Republic stuff is going to be changed a bit and then introduced piece by piece in Rebels or mentioned on the side in other media (Like the new Darth Maul comic).  I personally really hope that Revan's and Meetra Surik's stories end beter than they did in Legends with Surik getting stabbed and Revan turning into pure fanservice for SWTOR. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't put too much hope behind that. I think Hasbro has held votes for Legends characters to get a Black Series figure. I believe Jaina Solo is actually next, but don't quote me on any of this.

I personallybelieve that the Old Republic stuff is going to be changed a bit and then introduced piece by piece in Rebels or mentioned on the side in other media (Like the new Darth Maul comic).  I personally really hope that Revan's and Meetra Surik's stories end beter than they did in Legends with Surik getting stabbed and Revan turning into pure fanservice for SWTOR. 

This, they have a chance to do better. 

I know all about star wars lore, i have been a fan for 20 years but just got to play the games recently because i was not a gamer until a few years ago, what i mean is that, even when kotor was canon, which was for more than 10 years, we never really got kotor 3, we got swtor which does not really mesh well with kotor 2, or is this interest on having kotor be canon again is for the hope of a remake?

The hope is for any sort of remake, KOTOR 3, any continuing elaboration on stories dealing with The Old Republic. Any of the gazillion wars they had back in the day, but probably mostly seeing our favorite characters come to life in theaters or on Netflix

Just anything

Slightly off-topic, but who would you guys want to see play Revan in a potential KotOR movie? My first pick would be Christian Bale.

I'm partial to Game of Thrones, so I'd pick Richard Madden as Revan (Robb Stark)

• Like 2

Probably if KotORs are going to become canon, SWTOR would too. Yet, SWTOR doesn't directly say how much years Revan spent in that fancy cage, so there's a place for a better ending for Surik than just stabbed, though I believe she's be going to die for Revan again, yet in a far more dramatic way.

Probably if KotORs are going to become canon, SWTOR would too. Yet, SWTOR doesn't directly say how much years Revan spent in that fancy cage, so there's a place for a better ending for Surik than just stabbed, though I believe she's be going to die for Revan again, yet in a far more dramatic way.

I think they say 300 years he was in that fancy cage

Probably not. Making everything from SWTOR canon would conflict with so much stuff that was already established in the new canon, like the way kyber crystals work, that it wouldn't be worth it. If not then the statement from April 2014 that said that only TCW and the movies and the things they established will remain a part of the new canon would be completely invalid.

Not to mention that everything that happend to Revan in SWTOR can easily be left out.

Probably not. Making everything from SWTOR canon would conflict with so much stuff that was already established in the new canon, like the way kyber crystals work, that it wouldn't be worth it. If not then the statement from April 2014 that said that only TCW and the movies and the things they established will remain a part of the new canon would be completely invalid.

Not to mention that everything that happend to Revan in SWTOR can easily be left out.

I'm not sure it conflicts with that much. That's something that can basically be explained away by game mechanics. I think most of the inconsistencies can be explained away as game mechanics.

I'm not sure it conflicts with that much. That's something that can basically be explained away by game mechanics. I think most of the inconsistencies can be explained away as game mechanics.

I think Disney will just pick and choose what to keep like with Thrawn

There are a lot of things in that game that can't be explained like that. A few months ago it was established that kyber crystals have no colour until a force user bonds with the crystal. Doesn't happen like that in SW:TOR. Artifical crystals also don't exist anymore in canon, so that crafting skill shouldn't exist. Then theres basicly all of the Old Republic stories the game mentions that would also have to become canon. I think it's much more than that as im not an expert of the subject.

BioWare would need to drop a giant update that makes everything fit with the new lore and therefor, basicly reboot the entire game. They could, however, make the Great Galactic War canon if they change it a bit.

My point is that it looks like the writer team won't go through all the hard work of changing everything in SWTOR to fit the canon. We may get a mention of something that happens in that game, but there will definitly be no press statement that just declares the completely unchanged game canon.

There are a lot of things in that game that can't be explained like that. A few months ago it was established that kyber crystals have no colour until a force user bonds with the crystal. Doesn't happen like that in SW:TOR. Artifical crystals also don't exist anymore in canon, so that crafting skill shouldn't exist. Then theres basicly all of the Old Republic stories the game mentions that would also have to become canon. I think it's much more than that as im not an expert of the subject.

BioWare would need to drop a giant update that makes everything fit with the new lore and therefor, basicly reboot the entire game. They could, however, make the Great Galactic War canon if they change it a bit.

My point is that it looks like the writer team won't go through all the hard work of changing everything in SWTOR to fit the canon. We may get a mention of something that happens in that game, but there will definitly be no press statement that just declares the completely unchanged game canon.

I don't think the game-ified version of lightsaber or crystal crafting is completely irreconcilable with canon if it's explained as a game mechanic. And even so, presumably, they could update that one system and then fall back in line with canon.

I'm not saying this is proof that they will bring it back into canon, just that I don't think there are as you are implying, but I could be wrong.

Well, it sounds like you have a bit of hard work to change a kyber crystal's color from the color it took with its previous owner, so it hasn't to be game mechanics. Your crystals are just second-hand and you don't know how to change their color (it actually seemed accidential in Ahsoka). Actually, seems fitting. In Jedi classes storylines, you build a lightsaber on your own, but you get a crystal from someone else. As a Sith you get a whole second-hand lightsaber.

I don't think the game-ified version of lightsaber or crystal crafting is completely irreconcilable with canon if it's explained as a game mechanic. And even so, presumably, they could update that one system and then fall back in line with canon.

I'm not saying this is proof that they will bring it back into canon, just that I don't think there are as you are implying, but I could be wrong.

The Rogue One Novel Catalyst stated that Galen Erso tried to synthesise Kyber Crystals to use them as an energy source, but found out it was impossible to grow them in a lab due to their connection to the force or something like that.  

I admit it's a minor thing that could be replaced with some other skill let's you do the same thing in a different way. 

SWTOR is such a huge thing in terms of content that trying to canonise everything seems insane. I'm probably just too biast against the idea of SWTOR becoming canon alongside Kotor since it ruined the story of both Revan and the Exile for me.

I'm probably just too biased against the idea of SWTOR becoming canon alongside Kotor since it ruined the story of both Revan and the Exile for me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, the characters were butchered.