JCarter426

JC's WIP (Now taking requests)

You mean the lens flare that just suddenly stops in the Harbinger arrival cutscene?

I'm aware of that one, and I'm still considering how to fix that too, but actually I was thinking of OndMov07. The people running away at the end are all pink and yellow from what I believe to be bones that were not hidden during the render.

And what's the change in 804DRO?

Just some stuff in the background that would disappear depending on what room you're in. The tops of buildings from other rooms, if I recall correctly. I set them to be visible from those rooms too.

Luxa is just a repurposed player head from K1:

Luxa_Head_Source_TH.jpg

Looks like Obsidian forgot to re-texture a few sub-meshes, so they still use the original PFHA01 texture. I'm actually surprised that sort of thing slipped through testing, as VRAM would have been at an absolute premium on the original Xbox, what with its paltry 64MB pool of shared memory.

Yeah, I know, but... I mean... when you're replacing... yeah, I got nothing.

I'll check out that 804DRO then. And yeah, I remember the strangele colored people from the Basilisk landing video. Hopefully you can find a fix for that.

You could desaturate the appropriate areas frame by frame, but that would be painful. Alternatively you could try compositing some new people over the top, it is super sparse with just 2 peons there. Or just try removing them altogether.

I don't think removing them is an option... the motion of the camera would be an issue, and there's also dust around the Basilisk as it lands to complicate matters. So I've been debating whether to rotoscope and recolor or to composite some new figures on top. Rotoscoping by far would be easier, but I'm worried they'll end up looking like grey blobs, since the bones would of course lack the texture detail that the geometry has.

I don't think removing them is an option... the motion of the camera would be an issue, and there's also dust around the Basilisk as it lands to complicate matters.

It's just a matter of how much effort you want to devote to it. I never even noticed the multi-coloured limbs until I read it in this thread (or that door walking guy on Telos), so even a sloppy paint out would probably be more than sufficient for most people. Here's a super quick and dirty frame-by-frame clone stamp pass (including accidentally painting out the statue shadow in the first few frames):

If you spent more than 15 minutes to do it properly I doubt anyone would tell, especially if you composite a new crowd over the top. But it's your mod of course, just offering my 2¢.

Speaking of which, while on the subject of the Basilisk, I'd probably rather see effort devoted to replacing it with something that actually fits the description Canderous gives in K1, rather than whatever that thing in TSL is supposed to be, but that would be way more effort, requiring a complete replacement of that video. But again that's just

My_Two_Cents.jpg

• Like 1

It's just a matter of how much effort you want to devote to it. I never even noticed the multi-coloured limbs until I read it in this thread (or that door walking guy on Telos), so even a sloppy paint out would probably be more than sufficient for most people. Here's a super quick and dirty frame-by-frame clone stamp pass (including accidentally painting out the statue shadow in the first few frames):

If you spent more than 15 minutes to do it properly I doubt anyone would tell, especially if you composite a new crowd over the top. But it's your mod of course, just offering my 2¢.

That does look smoother than I would've expected. I don't have a proper 3D compositing program like Flame or Nuke, just After Effects and 3ds Max, so I'm still wary of trying to work out the perspectives during the pan down. I have done that sort of thing by hand before, and it can be a PAIN. But it might be doable.

Speaking of which, while on the subject of the Basilisk, I'd probably rather see effort devoted to replacing it with something that actually fits the description Canderous gives in K1, rather than whatever that thing in TSL is supposed to be, but that would be way more effort, requiring a complete replacement of that video.

Yeah, but the original Basilisk design was silly. It's a giant ball they ride on top of, when it's clearly big enough to have them ride inside it and not get shot.

That does look smoother than I would've expected. I don't have a proper 3D compositing program like Flame or Nuke, just After Effects and 3ds Max, so I'm still wary of trying to work out the perspectives during the pan down. I have done that sort of thing by hand before, and it can be a PAIN. But it might be doable.

Yeah it's a pain in the ass, but that was only about 45 frames, so I just did it in PS. Only took about 15 mins like I said. Took far longer to re-encode it and upload it to Youtube.

If you want to composite new stuff over the top, that should be easy enough to manage with Max and AE. I haven't used AE since like version 7 or something, aeons ago, but match moving is it's whole bit pretty much, isn't it? And I'm sure that Max has plugins for it, even if it doesn't do it natively.

Yeah, but the original Basilisk design was silly. It's a giant ball they ride on top of, when it's clearly big enough to have them ride inside it and not get shot.

I always pictured it as some sort of cool Robotech sort of thing? Maybe I should go back and listen to Canderous's description again.

Speaking of which, while on the subject of the Basilisk, I'd probably rather see effort devoted to replacing it with something that actually fits the description Canderous gives in K1, rather than whatever that thing in TSL is supposed to be, but that would be way more effort, requiring a complete replacement of that video. But again that's just

My_Two_Cents.jpg

The basilisk was actually a giant robot dragon the Mandalorians rode on top of in the comics

, but Chris Avellone thought that was stupid

, so he used a Virago model (Xizor's personal snubfighters

, so he used a Virago model (Xizor's personal snubfighters

) instead.

Yeah I just looked it up on the wiki. Dunno why I thought it was a Robotech kind of thing. Alzheimer's maybe. I know I was considering sticking the TSL version on top of a giant robot body at one point, using it as the head, maybe that was it.

If you want to composite new stuff over the top, that should be easy enough to manage with Max and AE. I haven't used AE since like version 7 or something, aeons ago, but match moving is it's whole bit pretty much, isn't it? And I'm sure that Max has plugins for it, even if it doesn't do it natively.

You can do it, yeah... but After Effects doesn't do real 3D, so there's no 3D tracking. Not sure about 3ds Max, but I'm on an ancient version there so it's doubtful. In the past, I would mess with the camera and render stills until the angle matched the source footage... and then repeat that for the angle at the end of the animation... and then adjust the timing to match too. It's a real pain but it usually works.

In this case it might not be too bad because the running guys don't have to match all that perfectly.

And regarding the Basilisk, actually there are two things I have been considering... these might be beyond the scope of my minor fixes, but I'd be interested to hear thoughts on them nonetheless.

1. To make it so you actually take the Basilisk back from Iziz. Instead of a repeat of the shuttle video from earlier.

2. To replace that shuttle entirely. This is partly inspired by the discussion regarding the shuttle's resolution, but that shuttle actually irritated me even before that. It doesn't fit two people in the first game, yet apparently it can fit the whole party in the sequel. And Mandalore says he's trying to avoid drawing attention to his little camp, while flying around Republic space in a Sith shuttle. There are also animation issues in those videos that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

But I'm not sure what I would would use to replace the shuttle. A Mandalorian design would draw attention for the same reason, and I'm not a modeler so I'd have to contact someone for permission. There are other designs from the game that I could turn into placeable model, but I'm not sure which I'd use.

I always thought the shuttle was a bit too heavy on the Lambda influence, much in the same way the Ravager is far too derivative of ISDs. You could look at comics or TOR for possible inspirations for alternative designs I guess.

Oh yeah, whoops. I remember trying to replace the texture on that an it kept flaking out, disappearing when turning the camera. Yeah the design is kind of stupid, it looks like you wouldn't even fit one person in there, much less three.

I wonder if you could use the swoop bike as the basis for a new shuttle design. I like the twin mandible things. Scaled up with a central cockpit it would be kind of similar to an Eta-2 Actis.

Edit: How about this, looks kind of cool - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lethisk-class_armed_freighter - although looking at the model and comparing it to a human male body it seems like it is still only a single-seater:

K1_I-Wing_TH.jpg

I'm not sure if the model is even in TSL anyway, so you could make a new one based on it with a larger cockpit perhaps.

Edit 2: Actually, looking at it again in more detail, it seems like you could actually comfortably fit 4-8 people in there, maybe just reworking the canopy to allow a bit more headroom:

K1_I-Wing_Cockpit_Concept_TH.jpg

I think if you check out the tech from the Onderonian Wars you could make a similar shuttle that would blend in with the postwar populace of Iziz.

Or...you could go an entirely different route and make it look like a typical freighter (dull colors, heavy plating) which I think was the design Obsidian was actually going for.

Mandalorian ships actually seem to either be light brown or brushed metal in terms of coloration, btw.

JC,

there is some major problem with Kreia in the morgue cutscene in Peragus. Kreia floats around, making for a rather ludicrous scene. Tested on a clean TSL install with only TSLRCM 1.8.4.

The issue is caused by the P_KreiaStunt.mdl / P_KreiaStunt.mdx files. Please take a look at it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I think if you check out the tech from the Onderonian Wars you could make a similar shuttle that would blend in with the postwar populace of Iziz.

Or...you could go an entirely different route and make it look like a typical freighter (dull colors, heavy plating) which I think was the design Obsidian was actually going for.

Mandalorian ships actually seem to either be light brown or brushed metal in terms of coloration, btw.

There's another complication, though... the Onderon hangar is really small, so I don't know of many other ships in the game that would even fit in it. I don't think any of the freighters do.

Edit: How about this, looks kind of cool - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lethisk-class_armed_freighter - although looking at the model and comparing it to a human male body it seems like it is still only a single-seater:

I'm not sure if the model is even in TSL anyway, so you could make a new one based on it with a larger cockpit perhaps.

Edit 2: Actually, looking at it again in more detail, it seems like you could actually comfortably fit 4-8 people in there, maybe just reworking the canopy to allow a bit more headroom:

Yeah, I was thinking about that one... but it's not in the second game to my knowledge, and I'm also a terrible modeler.

JC,

there is some major problem with Kreia in the morgue cutscene in Peragus. Kreia floats around, making for a rather ludicrous scene. Tested on a clean TSL install with only TSLRCM 1.4.

Please take a look at it.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's messed up. But it's not recommended that you install those if you have TSLRCM anyway, since it already fixes those. I'll see about fixing it for the next update, but for now you can just revert to TSLRCM's version. The bad files are P_KreiaStunt.mdl and P_KreiaStunt.mdx.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'm not sure what's wrong with it, though. Animations look broken as soon as I import it into 3ds... it wasn't anything I did.

Yeah, I was thinking about that one... but it's not in the second game to my knowledge, and I'm also a terrible modeler.

I can take a crack at it. It's not overly complex. Requiring new landing/take-off BIKs seems far more onerous.

the Onderon hangar is really small, so I don't know of many other ships in the game that would even fit in it. I don't think any of the freighters do.

It's tight, but the I-Wing does just squeeze into the Onderon hangar:

K1_I-Wing_Onderon_Hangar_TH.jpg

I'm not sure what's wrong with it, though. Animations look broken as soon as I import it into 3ds... it wasn't anything I did.

You might be better off renaming your version and pointing it to the original version as the super model, rather than compiling with animations. Then have TSLPatcher change the model reference in appearance.2da.

• Like 2

That is a bit tight, but it looks doable... and if necessary it could be scaled down. The game already cheats with the Ebon Hawk and shuttle sizes anyway. If you'd be interested in doing a new model, I could do the the videos. That might seem like more work but animation is more my thing.

The texture is also already in the second game... VFreightL01.tga.  Same one as the other freighters, just different UVW mapping.

You might be better off renaming your version and pointing it to the original version as the super model, rather than compiling with animations. Then have TSLPatcher change the model reference in appearance.2da.

I've been trying to avoid 2DAs for the minor fixes, for better compatibility. When there's an issue like that I send it over to Hassat Hunter... and this is already in TSLRCM, and elsewhere. I only included it in my minor fixes for the sake of completion. I'll take another look before the next version, since I was planning to redo the other Kreia models anyway with the new version of MDLOps, but if I can't fix it I'll just remove it.

That is a bit tight, but it looks doable... and if necessary it could be scaled down. The game already cheats with the Ebon Hawk and shuttle sizes anyway. If you'd be interested in doing a new model, I could do the the videos. That might seem like more work but animation is more my thing.

The texture is also already in the second game... VFreightL01.tga.  Same one as the other freighters, just different UVW mapping.

Got it mostly done except some final details like weapons and landing gear:

DP_I-Wing_Mandalore_Custom_TH.jpg

That's keeping at the same scale as the original. You could probably drop it down to something like 75% or so and still fit a single row of 4 people comfortably, if you were worried about space in the hangar. I guess that would also fit closer to Mandalore's statement that it's a "small shuttle".

• Like 1

I'm sure someone could equally ask you how you manage to code a program in some given allotment of time deemed by them to be fast. I'm no speed modeller. KOTOR models are basic and low poly, and I've been around the block enough times to know what works for me and what doesn't when I want to tackle modelling a particular subject. And in this case I have a template to build directly over the top of, which makes things a lot easier than just working off some reference images.

Edit: Guns, landing gear, and other minor details done:

DP_I-Wing_Mandalore_Custom_03_TH.jpg

Seeing as it is meant to be a Mandalorian bird, I was tempted to festoon it with turrets and missile/torpedo launchers, but I suppose that wouldn't really fit in with the idea of a low key shuttle.....

Edit 2: And a quick in-game test:

DP_I-Wing_Mandalore_Custom_TSL_Test_03_T DP_I-Wing_Mandalore_Custom_TSL_Test_02_T

Seems like the one in the Mando camp on Dxun is part of the level rather than a placeable like the one in Iziz, so that would be more of a pain to replace.