Sign in to follow this  
DarthParametric

Observation: Player body size in K1 vs TSL

Has anyone noticed that while K1 uses three different size body models, small, medium, large, that TSL doesn't? It still has the 3 S/M/L entries for them in appearance.2da and still has all the models from K1 with 3 sizes for each variation, but appearance.2da just points to the medium models for everything. The new robe models Obsidian added for TSL only come in the medium size though, so perhaps that's why. Still, seems odd. It would be an easy edit to re-enable them, although I imagine that might screw up some cutscene/conversation camera framing.

Has anyone noticed that while K1 uses three different size body models, small, medium, large, that TSL doesn't? It still has the 3 S/M/L entries for them in appearance.2da and still has all the models from K1 with 3 sizes for each variation, but appearance.2da just points to the medium models for everything. The new robe models Obsidian added for TSL only come in the medium size though, so perhaps that's why. Still, seems odd. It would be an easy edit to re-enable them, although I imagine that might screw up some cutscene/conversation camera framing.

Most likely they did that to save time on their short schedule.

No doubt, although it wouldn't have been that big a deal to scale the robe models, it's not like they'd need to remodel them from scratch or anything. And they kept all the K1 models, as I said, although it seems like the BA (naked/underwear) models have unique UVs and they didn't include the L and S textures for those. But they did keep the BB models and textures (scoundrel/scout/soldier outfits), despite them apparently not being used (TSL uses the N_Comm/N_CommF commoner models instead). Again, just seems odd to me. Might play around and put them back, see what happens.

The 2DA says M. I haven't checked all the models, but the male BA/underwear model at least is indeed in the middle height-wise, 1.55m at the top of the neck versus 1.51m and 1.60m for the small and large, respectively. Interestingly the height column for all entries, in both K1 and TSL, is 1.6m, so I'm not sure what that actually does.

I always thought TSL points to the L variation. This is especially prominent when you stand next to Kreia and initiate the dialogue - she actually has to hike her head so far up you can see her eyes.

Nope. It is M (for Medium size)

Was there ever a mod that added the body sizes back in?

Probably? It wouldn't have added everything back in anyways. There are only S/M/L variations up to PMBI. PMBIM was replaced, for instance, with the new Jedi Padawan robes.

Most likely they did that to save time on their short schedule.

Tbh if lucasarts had given obsidian like an extra 4 months obsidian probably would have been able to make it a far better game :/ darn money... Money money money... :(

I always thought TSL points to the L variation. This is especially prominent when you stand next to Kreia and initiate the dialogue - she actually has to hike her head so far up you can see her eyes.

Just a minute there. This is very important.

Do you have a very specific memory of the large body size being used but now can't find any evidence that this was ever the case?

I used to remark regularly that the player character in TSL was much larger than the one I played in K1 (because I never picked soldier). Then one day I reinstalled TSL and everyone was using the medium body type. The weirdest part was the Czerka Mercenaries that just didn't look right in the medium body type. But when I went looking for evidence on the internet that there was something wrong with my game, I couldn't find anything that suggested that the large body type had ever been used, even in a mod that I may have downloaded and forgot about. And it drove me a little crazy.

So if you specifically remember this or have some sort of evidence that there is a TSL game with this feature, I would be very interested to see/hear more.

I'm pretty sure the mod above didn't exist back then. This was years ago, might have been before Deadly Stream existed.

Does anyone know exactly where all the sizes of the different body models are stored in KotOR 1? The appearance.2da points to them but I've been unable to locate them.

Tbh if lucasarts had given obsidian like an extra 4 months obsidian probably would have been able to make it a far better game :/ darn money... Money money money... :(

Nah.

They got the extra months from LucasArts. In this demo you can hear them say that it'll be released in february of 2005.  After management changes LucasArts demanded the game be released on the date they set first, the december of 2004. There was nothing Obsidian could do because they didn't put the new agreement on paper.

Just look for trailing S, M, or L on the model names. For example, PMBAS, PMBAM, PMBAL are the three male underwear models. They should all be in Player.BIF.

Aside from the clothing and underwear models, only the large models for females and small models for males exist in player.bif, I've searched there before. I'm unable to find the small and medium models for females and medium and large files for males. They don't exist in the models.bif either.

Just found them under the items.bif. Don't know why they put them there.

Ah sorry. I have all the archives extracted specifically to avoid having to deal with trying to find stuff like that, so I just made an assumption from a quick glance in Kotor Tool. Maybe stuff being spread around like that is why Obsidian just dumped all the models into a single archive for TSL.

Nah.

They got the extra months from LucasArts. In this demo you can hear them say that it'll be released in february of 2005.  After management changes LucasArts demanded the game be released on the date they set first, the december of 2004. There was nothing Obsidian could do because they didn't put the new agreement on paper.

Wow, such an ancient video.