Snakey125

KSE refusing to work on Windows 7.

I decided to register on here to ask about a problem I've been having with KSE since I downloaded it last night. I've tried looking around both on google and these forums to no prevail.  I've even contacted Strides in hope to try to see if he had any idea with no luck. 

Every time I try to launch KSE, The problem shows up in Task manager for about 5 seconds and closes itself with no logs created. 

I've tried the following:

- Using command line to see if it spits out an error with nothing being outputed. KSE also shows up in task manager and closes 5 seconds later.

- Running KSE as admin. Didn't work and did the same thing as before

- Making sure I have a registry entry pointed toward my steam version of KOTOR 2.

- Pointing an Environment Variable edit to the folder of KOTOR 2.

None of these have worked. I'm stumped and very confused as why I can't get this to work at all. I'm curious if anyone else has had trouble like I'm having right now as well.  

I've tried using KSE on a laptop with Windows 8 that I'm working on for a friend as a test, It worked on there just fine. 

Might sound like a stupid question, but did you extract all the files from the download and/or extract to the same location?

Second stupid question: which version of KSE is this?  I know you said you just downloaded but just making sure.

You may wish to redownload KSE from http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/503-kotor-save-game-editor/ .  Sometimes even the best connection doesn't get the perfect download...so if you are having this much trouble, try a redownload.

I know this program does work on Win 7, because I've used it numerous times on my Win 7, so I wish you luck with your troubleshooting.

As a last note: third stupid question: Which version of KOTOR 2 are you using...to be more specific...is it Steam?  'Cause Steam's update is already causing more trouble than it's worth.

I downloaded KSE from this site. I've tried re-downloading twice to see if my internet was the issue, but sadly that is not the case. 

Last night, I did try to see if a friend's laptop that I'm currently fixing for him and my college laptop would run it.  Mate's laptop has 8.1 and ran it just fine and so did my college laptop. If nothing else, I could try editing my saves on that seeing as I have KOTOR 2 installed to play in my free time.  I still would like to get it working on my desktop however.

And Yes, I am using the steam version.

Okay, if you've been poking about, then you may have heard that the new update Steam did to KOTOR2 is causing...issues.  I really don't know if that's what your problem is or not.  It may be that KSE is closing after 5 seconds because it's getting jinxed if you will by Steam's idea of the latest and greatest.

You may wish to try going into game properties (in Steam's game library KOTOR 2) and then go to the Betas tab (odd I know).  Opt into the legacypc- and let Steam update.  Then try KSE with a fresh save.  You can copy/paste your saves to a different location if you wish, but use a fresh save.  Doesn't have to be fancy, but we are just trying to cover our bases.  Once you have your fresh save, then try to use KSE and see if it stays open more than 5 seconds.

Now for my stupid questions:  I know you said you got it to run on your friend's computer and your college laptop, but did you have KOTOR 2 installed on those pcs?  (I think I can guess the answer but I'm going to ask anyway.)

I've been helping Fair Strides in getting the issues you are getting fixed. Yes, since KotOR 2 got an update on Steam, issues have arrisen. Yes, there is a fix coming. If you want a temporary fix until the update is released, do the following.

Make sure you save your game!!!!!!!

In the "Save Game" screen, uncheck the Cloud Saves checkbox at the top.

Close the game, and copy your saves from cloudsaves into the default "saves" directory.

Run KSE.

This is a temporary fix until Fair Strides has completed the update.

If you want the saves backed up with the edits from KSE, just place the saves back into the cloudsaves directory.

Keep in mind KotOR2 has an ID tagged to the directory inside the cloudsaves directory, be sure you don't copy that directory, but the saves from INSIDE it, and the make sure you put your saves back inside that directory. Or else Steam will overwrite them.

I hope this fixes your issues until KSE's update has been released.

Hassat Hunter: How can I best get in contact with Steam to remove the KSE?

We can all report it, you can contact the current uploader, we could comment on it saying you haven't given permission to upload it.

For what it's worth, I've both reported it (saying that it was uploaded without permission) and I just posted this comment to it's comment section:

"I am the current maintainer of the KSE (active at Lucasforums and Deadlystream) and "inherited" the position from the original author with his permission.

This version of KSE is an older version that was taken from Filefront (even then, it wasn't the newest version Filefront had) and it has been uploaded without either the original author's or my permission...

As it is, I am working on an update to KSE that will accommodate the Cloud saves feature and had fully intended on uploading it here when I was ready to do so.

Given all of this, I feel it appropriate and justified to request that you take this one down and people can instead use the version from Deadlystream:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/503-kotor-save-game-editor/"

Nice to know there are some people who understand the stupidity of uploading someone else's work.

Hopefully the person who uploaded Mira or Hanharr realises too... but really; upload a workshop for a single file dropped in override, no TSLPatcher required. WHY? WHYYYYYYY?

Hey this is probably completely unrelated but I need help with this one..

Just upgraded to Windows 10, got everything running fine, or so I thought. Then I was doing some work on a mod and was trying to use KSE to get the item to look at in game and get this message when trying to commit changes.

(Got KSE from here, version 3.3.5)

8/5/2015--8:32:49= Tk::Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\saves\000019 - Game18\PARTYTABLE.res for writing. at /<C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TSLMODS\KSE335\kse_335.exe>Bioware/GFF.pm line 1212.
 Bioware::GFF::Struct::writeHeader2 at /<C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TSLMODS\KSE335\kse_335.exe>Bioware/GFF.pm line 1212
 Bioware::GFF::write_gff3 at /<C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TSLMODS\KSE335\kse_335.exe>Bioware/GFF.pm line 217
 Bioware::GFF::write_gff_file at /<C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TSLMODS\KSE335\kse_335.exe>Bioware/GFF.pm line 273
 main::CommitChanges at kse_335.pl line 2150
 main::__ANON__ at kse_335.pl line 4728
 Tk callback for .button10
 Tk::__ANON__ at /<C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TSLMODS\KSE335\kse_335.exe>Tk.pm line 251
 Tk::Button::butUp at /<C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TSLMODS\KSE335\kse_335.exe>Tk/Button.pm line 175
 <ButtonRelease-1>
 (command bound to event)

So its saying it cant open the game's save game folder to write it into the partytable.res, correct?

Umwhatdoido?

Oh deerrrp  /facepalm!
Run as Administrator...shoulda known
My bad nevermind
Edited by Kaidon Jorn