Assassinaded

New to modding I have a few questions

Firstly for anyone else that was having the trouble with Kotor tools finding your game this method works for finding the files.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/2883-kse-and-kotor-tool-fix-for-steam/

Secondly could anyone provide a breakdown of file locations and their associated extension files? Ex. Models, Textures, ect...? I know Textures are saved as .tga and bundled together as .erf. I believe that 3D models are mainly located in BIF and carry the extension .dwk; which leads me to my next question. How do you convert .dwk into .fbx or .max.

Lastly how does the Override folder work? Do you just save it as the exact same extension as to not save over the original data and what extension does it need to be saved as?

Edit: I'm using http://fileinfo.com/extension/mdl to help find out what programs can convert/open  what but I generally use only PS and 3Ds Max.

I can answer your first question, although in brief.

The texture files are saved in ERF -> Texture Packs

The location swpc_tex_TPA.erf holds the highest quality textures (with TPB and TPC in descending order of detail) The exception to this is swpc_gui_.erf which has the Graphic User Interface elements like the player health icons..etc

The other item in the ERF folder is the module files .mod which each contain the .are .git and .pth

(I believe .are stands for area and .pth for path, but .git eludes me...)

And also in the Modules folder is the dialogue for that module, saved as .dlg in dlg.erf

RIMS holds

The .rim files which have inside them the area info files, .git .ifo and .are

The BIF folder holds,

The 2d array files (.2da)

The dialogue files (.dlg)

and the global journal file (global.jrl)

The template files,

Pallete blueprint .itp

Character blueprint .utc

Door Blueprint .utd

Encounter Blueprint .ute

Item Blueprint .uti (heh :) )

Placeables Blueprint .utp

Triggers Blueprint .utt

Waypoint Blueprint .utw

Letter Combo Probability File .ltr

And List of Soundsets .ssf

Lightmaps.bif (basically used to create artificial dynamic lighting) saved as .TPC textures

<it also contains .viz files which I do not know the purpose of at the moment>

The actual GUI code for the elements which are .gui

Layout files .lyt

Script, both complied (.ncs) and source (.nss)

Sound files in .wav format

And actually, model files are saved under models.bif as two files, .MDL and .MDX The two must both be put into the override to work.

It could take some time , but I could link tutorials for at least the basic file types.

One last thing, the texture files have to be extracted to .tga before you can edit them

-//-----------<

In regards to your second question, the Override folder just replaces the files in Kotors files for whatever is in it, so it isn't necessary to change the filename for them to work. However, conflicts can arise with some filetypes being in the override, such as .mod files, and some files don't work in the override at all (like .wok files, I tried, they just crashed my game) Additionally it is general good practice not to have folders inside the override.

• Like 1

And actually, model files are saved under models.bif as two files, .MDL and .MDX The two must both be put into the override to work.

Thanks for the quick response Malikor! Do you know if 3Ds Max will open MDL and MDX? I'm pretty sure it does not.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPiBTrR6JE Could you explain this video a little more he seems to be using two MDX files. But I do see he has linked a download for a script to run in Max so I guess that solves one issue

Also for links I found out the the model thing before I checked back here however how do you find the texture linked to the model already? Also what about trying to find a section already made Ex. All of the Endor Spire and exporting that because you know that's the area you want to work on.

In the mean time I was configuring an xbox one controller to work with most of Kotor 1. just cant get cycle attacks to work or cycle chat because chat bases it off of numbers or a click. Was thinking making one of the analog sticks to toggle a second set of commands and have one of the thumb sticks control the mouse

Last I checked, there's a process with opening MDL files in 3dsmax, but it may have a plugin. (I know you can open the files in 3dsmax if you convert them to binary ASCII, but I don't know how to get them back in-game with animations intact..)

I'm still new to modeling, but experienced modders on this site should be able to help you out. (I looked for more specific information on LF, but couldn't find it)

The .TPC files normally have the same name as the model files, but there can be exceptions, and that's where you have to hunt them down. The kotortool thankfully has an image preview window that will show an image of the texture when you double-click it from the list.

IE, if you go into the swpc_tex_tpa.erf folder and click C and then c_hutt01.tpc, double-clicking it will open an image of that texture.

Area modeling requires several files being exported. Depending on what you want to do with the module, here's a link to a module reskinning tutorial, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175101 a YouTube tutorial on making your own custom module, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206101

and finally a non-video tutorial which is a downloadable .zip instead. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=185199

I can't vouch for ease of use, but it should hopefully help.

To open a .mdl file in 3ds or gmax you need (1) MDLOps, and (2) the NWMax plugin. (n.b.: I have linked to MDLOps 0.5 and NWMax 0.8; so far as I am aware these are the most recent stable versions for all purposes. There is a later version of MDLOps which is useful for some things, but not others. In general, 0.5 is better. With NWMax, I believe 0.8 supports KotOR models as well as 0.7, but I haven't used it, so YMMV.)

First, you want to extract the relevant .mdl and .mdx from KotOR Tool, then open the .mdl with MDLOps, and select "read and write model". This will generate an ASCII version of the file (which will be marked by the addition of -ascii to the file name), which can then be imported into Max using the NWMax plugin.

Any edit made then needs to be exported and recompiled using MDLOps again afterward to take effect.

I found this a really useful guide.

ETA: To export with animations, as I recall you'll want to use MDLOps v0.6a1, and check 'extract animations' when read/writing the model. Then when exporting the model again from Max, you'll want to select 'Export Model + Anims' rather than 'Export Geom Only'.

On finding the relevant textures this can be a matter of trial and error, but you can set up KotOR Tool to automatically export ASCII model files, and to extract all relevant textures for a given model, too. If you double click the model name in KotOR Tool (e.g., PMBIM.mdl) a new dialogue should come up offering options to extract animations, convert skin to trimesh, export each model to its own directory, extract a number of consecutive models, and put each model in its own directory, as well as an export path selector. As I recall, this automatically exports the textures with the model.

On finding the relevant textures this can be a matter of trial and error, but you can set up KotOR Tool to automatically export ASCII model files, and to extract all relevant textures for a given model, too. If you double click the model name in KotOR Tool (e.g., PMBIM.mdl) a new dialogue should come up offering options to extract animations, convert skin to trimesh, export each model to its own directory, extract a number of consecutive models, and put each model in its own directory, as well as an export path selector. As I recall, this automatically exports the textures with the model.

Eeehhh.... Yes and no about the above...

I don't know what version of MDLOps KotOR Tool uses (because it has it's own MDLOps in it's install folder), but when you use it to extract models with animations, the animations all have 1 meter taken off of the Z-Coordinate...

And as far as the textures, when you decompile a model with MDLOps, a file is generated in the same place as the model. It's called "-textures.txt", with "" being the name of the model file (minus the .mdl part). This text document will have every texture the model uses, one texture name per line...

The hard part then is tracking down the textures...

• Like 2

I don't know what version of MDLOps KotOR Tool uses (because it has it's own MDLOps in it's install folder), but when you use it to extract models with animations, the animations all have 1 meter taken off of the Z-Coordinate...

And as far as the textures, when you decompile a model with MDLOps, a file is generated in the same place as the model. It's called "<Model>-textures.txt", with "<Model>" being the name of the model file (minus the .mdl part). This text document will have every texture the model uses, one texture name per line...

The hard part then is tracking down the textures...

I found out that once when I decided to try and run the Kotor Tool's version of MDLOps on command-line... but of course I can't remember it anymore.

Anyhow, you can always use the double-clicking method to get the textures without much hunting, and then export the .mdl and .mdx files individually to decompile them with another version of MDLOps.

Hello!
I'm relatively new to modding. I know hot to create items, re-texture chars and stuff, and messing around a bit with the .2da files. But not much more than that. And I have a problem I don't know how to solve, cause I assume it's mainly a problem related to model tweaking. So here's the problem...

I installed a Bastila head mod, retextured her face to look more appealing to my eyes. But I thought that it would be nice to have Mira's jacket for her in black. So retex (some parts only, like the skin to be more pale and the shoulder and knee-guards to be shiny, cause I've downloaded a black jacket, already), made a separate item for it, messed around with appearance.2da a bit and I had it... A really, sexy, badass Bastila that I've always wanted. :)
With one slight problem. It seems that the "neck" of Mira's jacket is a bit smaller than Bastila's. So there's a slight size difference between the two. It's not really such a big problem, but it's a bit conspicuous when you're in a conversation and it shows you, up close. I've also included some screenshots for better understanding of the problem. So my question is: What should I do? Model editing? Cause I've never even touched that field of modding.

Thanks for your advice, in advance!
post-13302-0-20695100-1423076201_thumb.jpg
post-13302-0-78905000-1423076207_thumb.jpg
post-13302-0-34993200-1423076213_thumb.jpg

Hello!

I'm relatively new to modding. I know hot to create items, re-texture chars and stuff, and messing around a bit with the .2da files. But not much more than that. And I have a problem I don't know how to solve, cause I assume it's mainly a problem related to model tweaking. So here's the problem...

I installed a Bastila head mod, retextured her face to look more appealing to my eyes. But I thought that it would be nice to have Mira's jacket for her in black. So retex (some parts only, like the skin to be more pale and the shoulder and knee-guards to be shiny, cause I've downloaded a black jacket, already), made a separate item for it, messed around with appearance.2da a bit and I had it... A really, sexy, badass Bastila that I've always wanted. :D

With one slight problem. It seems that the "neck" of Mira's jacket is a bit smaller than Bastila's. So there's a slight size difference between the two. It's not really such a big problem, but it's a bit conspicuous when you're in a conversation and it shows you, up close. I've also included some screenshots for better understanding of the problem. So my question is: What should I do? Model editing? Cause I've never even touched that field of modding.

Thanks for your advice, in advance!

attachicon.gifSH 1.jpg

attachicon.gifSH 2.jpg

attachicon.gifSH 3.jpg

Found a solution, eventually. Well, more of a work around, but it fixes my problem, perfectly. :D

Just did a little painting on the mentioned areas. Re-textured them to black, and made it, that it look like a collar of the jacket. Now the clipping thing isn't showing, at all.

Just showing this in case someone has the same problem and wants a quick solution to hide it. So come to think of it, it doesn't really solves the problem, but makes it invisible. And that's more than nothing, I suppose  :D

post-13302-0-45139300-1423135328_thumb.jpg

Okay, I give up....

I started to do mods with the TSLPatcher, and, technically, it works like a dream. And yet it doesn't... It's also my very first mod with a TSLPatcher, so I'm not exactly surprised, when things don't work for the first time, as intended, but when you do everything exactly as said in accepted tutorials for the fourth time, from scratch... Then you start asking for help, so:

I was trying to make a Badass Bastila mod, the one I had the clipping issues, above. I've followed every step of making a character installation in TSLPatcher, followed every step, carefully in tutorials of model extracting, and such.
And it doesn't work. I've tried on a clean install, tried only with TSLRCM, tried setting the envmap back to DEFAULT, instead of CM_Baremetal (cause that's the option, I use for the intended look), started the whole thing from scratch for the fourth time now, just be extremely sure that I did everything correctly, including every part of installing heads from scratch........

Yet, I get this, when I install....

Please help, cause I'm completely out of ideas. :S

P.S.: It's not only the portrait that does that. Tested it in-game and the model just goes apes**t.

post-13302-0-59603100-1423575973_thumb.jpg

post-13302-0-79543000-1423575987_thumb.jpg

Okay, I  found the problem with the model. Sorry for posting unnecessarily again.
It's just that it always seems to pop up, what I could've done wrong, moments after I gave up on figuring it out, and ask for help. :D

• Like 1

Okay, I did a really thorough search and didn't found what I was looking for, so the above written definitely won't happen. :P

So I've decided to make an armor in Kotor Tool and was searching in the "Base Item", when I saw "(Revan Armor)"...
I thought it was the hooded one, with the cape, so I've added stats, a name etc... but no. It's the KotOR I dark Star Forge Robes, but it looked so pale.
I've decided to give it a retexture, but I can't find the .tpc file. I've looked everywhere, but there's not even a small sign that it would be the Star Forge Robes's .tpc file.

So does anyone know, which one is it? Or know of a better way to look for it?

IIRC, Star Forge/Revan robes use PMBJ (for males) and PFBJ (for females) textures.

Of course, makes sense, since they are like any other armor, which you equip!

I will search that section in Kotor Tool diligently, then.

It really needs a retex, cause it looks like it's been thrown in a spin-dryer full of emery paper, then set on maximum and after that, thrown in a bathtub full of bleach for days, then launched up in a glass sphere in orbit around the Sun for a year or two.

how do i add a container (just a small bag) with specific items and put it inside a level (peragus)?

how do i add a container (just a small bag) with specific items and put it inside a level (peragus)?

You would need to edit a .utp file, change it's appearance in KotOR Tool to Backpack, and then add items to it's inventory from the "Inventory" button at the lower-left. Also, you will need to make the template resref, tag, and filename to be unique, and preferably all the same thing.

As far as getting it into the level, since it's Peragus and thus so early in the game, you would want to add it to the .git file by opening the .git file in K-GFF, going down to the Placeables section, right-clicking one of the structs to copy it, then pasting the struct at the top of the Placeables List (right-click the Placeables List).

Then you would need to change the Template Resref to the resref of your backpack. As far as the Bearing and XYZ stuff, you would need to get that from Darth 333's WhereAmI band (line up your view in first-person mode to get accurate data before using it). The armband can be found here.

NOTE: I'm only posting that link because starwarsknights.com is currently down and that's basically the only place it's hosted...

• Like 1

As far as getting it into the level, since it's Peragus and thus so early in the game, you would want to add it to the .git file by opening the .git file in K-GFF, going down to the Placeables section, right-clicking one of the structs to copy it, then pasting the struct at the top of the Placeables List (right-click the Placeables List).

what if i want to put it the container in a specific area on peragus, a place where people would least expect it

i cant find K-GFF

EDIT: oh wait i do have it, it was still in a zip that i lucky downloaded before the days starwarsknights.com went down and forgot about it

i found this forum post that KGFF can be put into kotor tool

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/629-kotor-tool-not-working-with-gff-editor/

how?

all the placables inside the git are X-Y-Z coordinates, so i have no idea how should i actually put this in the place i want

whereamiband is incompatible because of the spells.2da, does the whereamiband have an installer version like most of the mods i got?

I use the whereami all the time... I just making sure to pull out the original spells.2da and put it back once I'm done with what needs doing.

I use the whereami all the time... just making sure to put out and put back the original spells.2da once I'm done with what needs doing.

Oh, that is what I didn't do... Perhaps I should fix that?

what if i want to put it the container in a specific area on peragus, a place where people would least expect it

my ass... . . it seems that theres an invisible wall at the location where i want to put my bag... now i have no idea where to put it

EDIT: well it worked but not very hidden... you would think i could do no clip so i could put it nicely

Hi all, having trouble with sk.com and lucasforums, I want to get K-GFF tk102 tools could someone help me in that?

according to the game 1 round = 3 seconds, how do i reduce that to 2?

also is it possible to create new feats in this game, maybe create a new upgraded version on top of the last one??

according to the game 1 round = 3 seconds, how do i reduce that to 2?

also is it possible to create new feats in this game, maybe create a new upgraded version on top of the last one??

The first one is hard-coded, and the second I believe is only passive feats.