sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

"Porting" from K1 to TSL

If EA/Bioware do work on another star wars rpg game- If DA3 is successful- I can see them going in that direction using the frostbite engine.

Would they go for a more open world? or a more contained one like Mass effect where you get only a few locations as the story progresses but each location is a set piece.

If they did do a one- I can see them targeting the time between kotor2/Revan book and the MMIO.

OR they might go for a time period well after the mmo and before the Bane books.

I suspect they will target a time period well after the MMO so they have more freedom.

EA will continue sucking TOR dry for now. Because they're EA. Hell, their "brilliant" incentive to attract new people to that game is a Free to Play model that restricts free players in every way possible, instead of, gee i dunno, provide more rewards to subscribers instead.

And let's not forget Disney shafted the 1313 game, which looked like it had some promise of being the second good game that didn't center on Jedi. First being Republic Commando. You could also count Bounty Hunter at your own peril.

Also, I don't think a time period will matter to them, since Disney also announced all of the expanded universe is null and void, and only the movies are canonical. So they can make a game anywhere they want, and nobody will question the design decisions. Then again, TOR was already full of reused designs. Clone-like armors for the republic troops, Droideka-lookalikes for the empire. That smuggler ship looking like someone literally just merged Ebon Hawk and Millennium Falcon together haphazardly.

But let's see how DA3 does. I eagerly await to see if there will be microtransaction BS, and any mod support.

*sigh* Disney thou art a useless tool, a tool that is so cumbersome it closes doors that lead to amazing opportunities. They are bringing Battlefront 3 which I was disappointed to see canceled.but they canned 1313 and ruined canon and they make the shows for SW now so what they put out is canon god just don't mess up the movie

Disney owns a lot but I'm afraid I might see mickey mouse in a Jedi robe with a wand that makes cats puke glitter, just do fine and nothing along the lines of that.

The original movies along with the prequel movies, Clone Wars animated series, and, the new animated series Star Wars Rebels will all be "canon" with everything else as part of the expanded universe not -- it'll still exists as these will all still make money for Disney and other parties, however, it will be treated like an alternate history not to be considered for new future content.

In a way I think it does and doesn't make sense, in that I find much of the Star Wars movies, in particular prequels, dorky and inconsistent. Whereas I find the KoTOR series to be some of the best Star Wars content I've come across (all things considered) -- I also like the Bane trilogy; the Revan book not so much. It also gives an opportunity to jettison the "made for a quick buck" novels and such that were "canon" but are complete trite IMHO ;). In particular I find the Darth Plagueis book to be disappointing in that that particular story deserved better telling and could have made better use of concepts / themes to better effect.

I think the best you could hope for from EA is something along the lines of the Jedi Knight series with maybe a better storyline -- or perhaps not considering ME3. I doubt that they would do a strong RPG considering what they did with Mass Effect once they acquired Bioware -- though there are arguments as to why you wouldn't do an RPG in the same vein like KoTOR. But, that all depends upon the exclusivity of the rights and all -- maybe EA aren't the only ones who will be making games for Star Wars, and a (standalone) RPG -- not another MMOG thanks -- will be made by someone.

Back on point of what this thread was about, though I've considered the idea of porting K1 over to TSL, it's a moot point for me because I know that in order to get the textures made for K1 -- and aren't already found in TSL -- to look right within the TSL engine, you need to rework them. That means all those environment textures in particular, otherwise, they will likely show up far too bright and faded within TSL -- the opposite is true if you use TSL textures in K1. That means releasing a rather big texture pack of K1 textures to be used within TSL -- that I would image would not be kosher on LucasForums.

Further, my goal personally is to first get TSL modded and fix and restore as much as I can in way of textures and models; for that it means in some cases adding in missing K1 textures, in others, it could mean adding in models to go with unused textures in TSL. Then I would very much like to be able to use various assets that are hard or currently impossible to create with the existing tools. Not straight out "port" over but rather use them as a base for something new in order to re-purpose them. So, not to recreate K1 within TSL but to make use of some of the assets within TSL -- likely to be very heavily modified.

In the future I think it would be best to port all of the K1 assets to TSL as it will be the best way of experiencing the original game; especially if more advanced modding techniques are permitted to get around various problems of the TSL engine. Techniques that would as far as I recall and understand it, get you banned from LucasForums for just even mentioning it -- which is rather idiotic in my opinion  ;).

You could release your redux textures for K1 

Then go with the installer type thing mentioned earlier.  :P

I know this is an older thread. But I recently attempted to bring this exact discussion up again on LucasForums. I've always had a favoring for KotOR mainly because I prefer Revan's character to the Exile and I feel like it follows a more classic Star Wars story layout but I have always thought that TSL was a better game in terms of engine, mechanics, etc. It has so much more to offer... 

I tire of KotOR's level cap, minimal upgrading system that is simply expanded upon greatly in TSL.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=217616

One Request and One Question
I have a request. I'm not sure how feasible it is but it is in regards to the final boss fight with Malak in KotOR.

I was hoping a mod could be made where instead of having to chase Malak around the room -while he goes draining the captured Jedi - it could instead work like this. . .

- You and Malak converse then engage as vanilla KotOR would.
- You bring Malak down to his min amount of health, you converse again but this time instead of Malak using Drain on only one Jedi he uses Death Field on all the captured Jedi in the room.
- You engage Malak again in a longer and more dangerous fight until you defeat him and the game continues as vanilla KotOR would with the ending dialogue between the PC and Malak so on and so forth.

I know that you can instead run around the room and drain or release the Jedi yourself in order to save time but I find this extremely anti-climatic and tedious.

The two most powerful characters in the story shouldn't need to do that in my opinion.

I was thinking if it was possible he could match the PC in stats but I think that was a mechanic introduced in TSL.

NOW onto my question... This my be a "touchy" one and I'm only asking it in the theoretical sense. Hell for all I know someone has done it but of course not released it for obvious reasons. 

It should be possible to transfer all of KotOR's modules, characters, scripts, etc over to TSL so that you can essentially play KotOR using TSL's engine? I understand that this is porting and hence why I am only asking about it theoretically. I have neither the time or the modding experience to do it myself.

And finally would it still be considered porting if someone made this in a way that it required the user to have both KotOR and TSL installed on their computer and that it would transfer files FROM KotOR over to TSL? I know similar mods for this game and other games have worked off of this method in the past to avoid trouble.

I know this is an older thread. But I recently attempted to bring this exact discussion up again on LucasForums. I've always had a favoring for KotOR mainly because I prefer Revan's character to the Exile and I feel like it follows a more classic Star Wars story layout but I have always thought that TSL was a better game in terms of engine, mechanics, etc. It has so much more to offer... 

I tire of KotOR's level cap, minimal upgrading system that is simply expanded upon greatly in TSL.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=217616

We're not allowed to discuss this even in theory.  So you have to stop discussion of this.  Believe me when I say this I don't make the rules but I have to follow them and so do you.