Davik Kang

Is TSLRCM "canon"?

Does anyone now how to do this because I didn't notice any change when I named my player Meetra Surik (with caps) and made her a female Jedi Sentinel.

Does anyone now how to do this because I didn't notice any change when I named my player Meetra Surik (with caps) and made her a female Jedi Sentinel.

VP was kidding you.

Why, why, WHY! Is canon so dang important to a game like KOTOR of all things?? A game where YOU choose the outcome, where YOU choose your destiny, and where YOU choose pretty much everything. How on Earth does that not make a concept like canon implode on itself? Sure LA and Obsidian may have told us what's "canon" to the whole SW story in general but seriously, what fun is there in an open world video game where you make all the the decisions? I honestly don't see the joy out of following a strict line of the story every single play through simply to follow something as silly as "canon" or whatever "canon" may be in a game made in such a style.

On 9/9/2012 at 6:22 AM, Dylan said:

Why, why, WHY! Is canon so dang important to a game like KOTOR of all things?? A game where YOU choose the outcome, where YOU choose your destiny, and where YOU choose pretty much everything. How on Earth does that not make a concept like canon implode on itself? Sure LA and Obsidian may have told us what's "canon" to the whole SW story in general but seriously, what fun is there in an open world video game where you make all the the decisions? I honestly don't see the joy out of following a strict line of the story every single play through simply to follow something as silly as "canon" or whatever "canon" may be in a game made in such a style.

I agree completely. :P

On 9/9/2012 at 6:22 AM, Dylan said:

Canon exists for those who want to play the game like a movie. Yes, the point of TSL is to make your own decisions and thusly, create your own adventure, but there's just that normal human curiousity that wonders "Hmmmm, now if these people were real, how would things play out?"

So, no, canon isn't important, but it entices some people's curiosity.

All in all though, with the new content added to the game, to answer the original question: Is TSLRCM canon?

Yes. As it portrays a more complete story, I would say yes. The details in the Exile's journey aren't going to matter too much in the long run of Star Wars history, and there's no Kotor 3 for us to really care about any of their fates.... unless they pop up in TOR in some form I don't know of... 😕

On 9/8/2012 at 10:35 PM, Darth_Sapiens said:

XD sarcasm doesnt always translate properly in the digital dimensions it would seem.

I recognized the sarcasm!

Canon exists for those who want to play the game like a movie. Yes, the point of TSL is to make your own decisions and thusly, create your own adventure, but there's just that normal human curiousity that wonders "Hmmmm, now if these people were real, how would things play out?"

So, no, canon isn't important, but it entices some people's curiosity.

That makes a (purely hypothetical) "canon playthrough" mod sound a little enticing, actually.

Anyways, since I don't see the intricacies of the plot details restored in the RCM affecting the universe's continued course of events that much differently from the vanilla game, I can't see why it wouldn't be considered a perfectly valid piece of C-canon material.

The approach I have is that TSLRCM is canon unless it's directly contradicted.

What I'm very curious about is if the new SWTOR update (which adds an HK-51 as a party member) will say anything regarding how canon HK-47's trip to the HK factory was.

On 11/10/2012 at 1:57 PM, Superninfreak said:

What I'm very curious about is if the new SWTOR update (which adds an HK-51 as a party member) will say anything regarding how canon HK-47's trip to the HK factory was.

I'll believe that HK-51 is in the next update to TOR only when I see it for myself.

Update 13APR2020: Obviously, I was proven wrong on that one. LOL

Edited by Sith Holocron
Update

I'll believe that HK-51 is in the next update to TOR only when I see it for myself.

Eh? They've showed videos of him for 1.5, and that's one of the big additions in it.

Wow.  Just wow.  You're necro-posting a thread that's 8 years old::exhausted noises:: Very well, I'll soldier on.

3 hours ago, The Historian said:

it's just that most of the content isn't true to the historical records. I call myself the Historian because I am trying to make Meetra's story historically accurate

Prove it isn't accurate.  Show your work and provide footnotes (i.e. links) when necessary.

. . . And maybe work on your grammar and spelling as that doesn't seem to be following a historian's standards. Just sayin' . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Light Side Points 1

I’m just not 100% sure how continuing a debate from a 8 years old thread, about whether restored content that was cut from a 15 years old game of a franchise that has been thrown out of the actual Star Wars canon 5 years ago and even though some of the participants on this thread haven’t been active recently is even relevant, but I’m probably just missing something, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

Wow.  Just wow.  You're necro-posting a thread that's 8 years old::exhausted noises:: Very well, I'll soldier on.

Prove it isn't accurate.  Show your work and provide footnotes (i.e. links) when necessary.

. . . And maybe work on your grammar and spelling as that doesn't seem to be following a historian's standards. Just sayin' . . .

2 hours ago, Stormie97 said:

I’m just not 100% sure how continuing a debate from a 8 years old thread, about whether restored content that was cut from a 15 years old game of a franchise that has been thrown out of the actual Star Wars canon 5 years ago and even though some of the participants on this thread haven’t been active recently is even relevant, but I’m probably just missing something, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please, don't encourage this behavior by replying. Let this thread die (or lock it), and if someone thinks it's a worthy topic they can create a new thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmanoJyaku said:

Please, don't encourage this behavior by replying. Let this thread die (or lock it), and if someone thinks it's a worthy topic they can create a new thread.

Good point.  Locking it.

• Thanks 1
  • Dark Side Points 1