Sign in to follow this  
jsmith1a2000

Will you try the game or re-join the game once it's free ?

with the announcement that the MMO will become free in the fall, will you try the game or re-join the game ?

I enjoy single-player games so it seems to me to be a pretty good deal to have 8 single-player campaign (16 if you do both genders) for the price of a single game. I'll probably spend christmas playing it!

I will. Currently trying to start the free trial and exchanging e-mails with Customer Support to explain why I can't install.

wait, it's going free to play ALREADY??

nvm. i saw on the website it's just an option during the fall. lol i was like "damn how did that game fail in just a year!?" but yea, i'll wait until it's free. i thought it was cool when i played the trial and i'm not paying for it.

Edited by hkmandalore47

Correction: No. It's only an option. Not full F2P.

Statement: I'm sticking with my subscription. I only have to pay every 6 months and have very few things to pay for (i.e. Star Wars stuff cause I'm really nerdy that way) like weapons upgrades and the latest weapons.

Addendum: Besides, if I go F2P I won't be able to do any OPS with my guild except for the very low end one that I'm over geared for.

Will continue to subscribe as I have since Feburary and enjoy the full game and benefits.

The free-to-play option does seem to have limitations. I think you can level up to 50 and that's about it, plus some content will be locked (like races, quests, flashpoints, etc...).

I think you can level up to 50 and that's about it

From what I gather, that's with the full game as well... so not missing much.

From what I gather, that's with the full game as well... so not missing much.

What makes you say that?

ok champ...whatever. Whiners are just whiners.

I'll just continue playing my game and continue ignoring the whiners.

Incessant whining from MMO-vets who know the subject?

I'm guessing you've never played an MMO before, then.

If you had, you'd know there literally isn't a single MMO that the community does not constantly bitch and whine about the game.

It's became part of the genre, really.

The free-to-play option does seem to have limitations. I think you can level up to 50 and that's about it, plus some content will be locked (like races, quests, flashpoints, etc...).

Right. But no time limit, and all the way up to level 50.

Bioware seems to be still weighing the details, though, as the list of limitations keeps changing. I could have sworn a bunch of stuff was restricted only a week ago, but the FAQ was down for several days, and when it came back up, it seems about the only restriction is that free players can't do Operations. Ever. But most of the rest is either with a few restrictions or with limited access on a timely basis (only so many flashpoints per week, etc.).

Restrictions: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

From the FAQ:

With the Free-to-Play option, no subscription will be required! You will be able to download and play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ all the way up to level 50 for free, with gameplay restrictions that limit access to advanced features and group content. However, we will be offering the option to purchase services, items, and content to customize the gameplay experience. These purchases will be made available via the new Cartel Market and will allow you to choose the way that you want to enjoy the game.

More info here: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449

Personally, even though I've been a hard critic of SWtOR, I fully intend to play at least once it becomes completely free to play. They still say it's during the fall, which might be as late as November 30. Until then I might consider the free trial to at least get started. For now I'm just contemplating the requirements of the free trial vs. free play. I'm wary of how much EA infringes on my privacy with regards to data-mining. Then again, even though the details of the free play option are unavailable, I doubt they'll be less infringing than the free trial...